Patreon

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Spiby
Known user

Patreon

Post by Spiby »

Not sure if this is the right place, so mods feel free to move / remove. And I don't want to hijack all of the new album talk.

I know a lot of us buy merch etc. in order to support Jason and fund the ongoing existence of Spiritualized. I've gone past being an obsessive completeist, so I will sometimes make those purchases purely to fund Spiritualized. But I'm buying something I don't necessarily need/want, and what percentage of what I've spent actually gets to where I want it to go?

A search for Patreon on this board came up with 0 results, so I'm guessing it hasn't been discussed before. I'm sure management must have considered it in the past, but it seems an obvious easy win in terms of revenue. And I don't want exclusive access to this or that. I simply want a means of funding an artist (and it's not at all altruistic on my part - I selfishly want Jason to keep doing what he's doing).

I can't believe I'm alone in thinking this.

EDIT - I'm going to answer my own question here. Perhaps it's a case of an artist feeling an obligation if people simply 'donate' to them, and that's not necessarily a dynamic that all artists would be comfortable with. But is that any different to an advance from a label?
mc
Known user

Re: Patreon

Post by mc »

I've never thought of this in terms of J/Spiritualized, but I've always thought a Kickstarter or Patreon funding model would be great for Sonic. Funded by fans for fans; it did wonders for Ginger Wildheart's career, for example.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I subscribed to support Thrash (ex-of The Orb) via Patreon. His page has disappeared which worries me as he was a troubled soul. The music he made available was great, if somewhat mad in places. I might be more inclined to support Sonic or even Pete Bassman via a Patreon model as they clearly have less support behind them than Spiritualized. It is great that all of them are still producing LPs and playing live though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thing about Patreon is, isn't it the kind of thing where people would expect something a bit more regular for their money? whether musical stuff or even just quick updates or photos on how the work is going. neither of which is Jason's style. he's very private and also not that prolific.

or maybe people would be happy to pay up, knowing that they are supporting the person in these times when it's getting much more tricky to make a living from music.
I'd happily pay up, but it would be very cool to get stuff like demos or live stuff, or just jams , or anything extra really.
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

I know that the band's bandcamp page lets buyers set the price for whatever they're buying. There's a minimum. Of course I don't know if the extra goes directly to Jason.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

suskind wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:37 am I know that the band's bandcamp page lets buyers set the price for whatever they're buying. There's a minimum. Of course I don't know if the extra goes directly to Jason.
Ah, interesting. Yes it would be good to know how much actually makes it to the artist.
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Obligatory mention of Will Carruthers patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/12-elvis-died-45329255