Spiritualized: funny moments

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MrBadger
Known user

Spiritualized: funny moments

Post by MrBadger »

I would never describe Spz as a funny band but J strikes me as someone with a good (if quite dark) sense of humour.

My favourite is from the liner notes of 'Ladies and Gents' where the credits for conducting the choir are allocated to the 'Irreverend J. Spaceman and the Reverend Basil Hughes'.

Any other gems out there?
heisenberg
Known user

Re: Spiritualized: funny moments

Post by heisenberg »

Not a Spiritualized one, but I always found the 'dog boy' story in the Spacemen 3 book hilarious. The defaced passport picture is absolutely priceless :lol:

I always like the last line of Cheapster where he appears to fluff the line then laughs at himself for doing so. Feels really natural and I'm glad he left it in.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

MrBadger wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:28 am I would never describe Spz as a funny band but J strikes me as someone with a good (if quite dark) sense of humour.

My favourite is from the liner notes of 'Ladies and Gents' where the credits for conducting the choir are allocated to the 'Irreverend J. Spaceman and the Reverend Basil Hughes'.

I think a lot of Jason's lyrics are pretty funny and intentionally so. "I Think I'm In Love" and "Don't Just Do Something" come to mind. There's a very dry joke at the end of the latter where ""ship comes in" and "mum again" set up the expectation for a rhyme of "life ain't good without heroin" but he sings "cigarettes" instead.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The 1998 appearance on Top Of The Pops doing ‘I think I’m in love’ is pretty hilarious, just for Thighpaulsandra…
O P 8
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:49 pm The 1998 appearance on Top Of The Pops doing ‘I think I’m in love’ is pretty hilarious, just for Thighpaulsandra…
...or indeed the classic TOTP2 appearance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Em_3UEImlg
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

these are great.

the break in “if I were with her now“ always makes me laugh. I take that song quite seriously, i swoon over it, it’s in my top three most meaningful and favorite songs. but every time i hear those noises, it’s just mirth everywhere. partly what makes it so great, that balance.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Bringing it bang up to date, I do find the "If you want a unicorn, I would be a unicorn for you" line in Always Together With You rather amusing
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:35 pm
MrBadger wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:28 am I would never describe Spz as a funny band but J strikes me as someone with a good (if quite dark) sense of humour.

I think a lot of Jason's lyrics are pretty funny and intentionally so. "I Think I'm In Love" and "Don't Just Do Something" come to mind. There's a very dry joke at the end of the latter where ""ship comes in" and "mum again" set up the expectation for a rhyme of "life ain't good without heroin" but he sings "cigarettes" instead.
Amazingly I never noticed the 'heroin' thing but I always thought his 'and I forgot to ring my Mum again' was quite funny.

'12 Steps' is sometimes cited as a funny song but I don't really like it (so can't see myself buying the 'Fuck Being Straight' t shirts currently in the online store...)