Lazer Guided Melodies 30th birthday

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Lazer Guided Melodies 30th birthday

Post by runcible »

I'm sure it's not escaped folks that LGM celebrated its 30th birthday on Wednesday.

That makes many of us feel old of course but a listen to it for the umpteenth time showed how remarkable that album is. It still sounds as fresh as ever and the extraordinary beauty throughout hasn't faded in any way. It's hard to gauge the impact it's had on me but that was all softened at the time by an endless stream of mind-blowing gigs from 1990 onwards. I have to pinch myself at the luxurious array of live music there was, with Spiritualized at the top of the pile. LGM was like the soundtrack to that. I can't fault it and it'll always be up there with any list of favourite music I can come up with. Well worthy of a revisit this week... Of course that led to an exploration of many other Spiritualized albums but it'll always be this record that feels the most special.

Happy Birthday! 30 years young!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Lazer Guided Melodies 30th birthday

Post by BzaInSpace »

It’s such a beautiful record. Side 3 for the win…
O P 8
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

It really has aged so well hasn't it. 3 decades after Jason set out to "make Electric Ladyland for £3,000" the album really stands out as an an ambitious and timeless classic just like that one. Happy Birthday LGM!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I listened to LGM, the early singles then Fucked Up Inside before bed last night. Such a wonderful evening.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

I always find it hard to believe that the album didn't come out until 1992. As old(er) age is showing us, time really did go by slower when we were younger and I do remember it seeming to take an age between the first Spiritulaized gig I went to (Burberries, Birmingham summer(?) 1990) and the album coming out. We were, however, spoilt with having a lot of Spiritualized shows, singles and music paper activity at that time. And that had followed a constant stream of S3 output starting with the release of Playing Wtih Fire (Revolution, Recurring, Big City, Hypnotized etc.), which itself seemed to come out an age after Perfect Prescription, but I'm guessing that was probably less than 2 years. Our first child was born in October 1990 and I very much still parallel her timeline with Spiritualized. With parenthood came poverty of time and money so I didn't go to so many gigs or buy as many records through the 90's (I turned into a bit of a one-band man - Spiritualized). 1984-1992 was a real high point in my musical life, discovering S3/Spzd along the way and reaching a pinnacle with LGM.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Not aged a bit. One of my Desert Island Discs for sure.

The day it was released i bought two copies, vinyl for me and cassette for a mate. That night, my friends were having a party and i was hoping to consummate my relationship with a girl i was head over heels for at the time but who lived some distance away. She never showed up :cry: Last i heard she was a lesbian. So, fair enough, no wonder it didn't work out!
I believe it was a good party with LGM on a loop for alot of it but i can't remember a thing about it. Too distraught no doubt :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

sunray wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:17 am Not aged a bit. One of my Desert Island Discs for sure.

The day it was released i bought two copies, vinyl for me and cassette for a mate. That night, my friends were having a party and i was hoping to consummate my relationship with a girl i was head over heels for at the time but who lived some distance away. She never showed up :cry: Last i heard she was a lesbian. So, fair enough, no wonder it didn't work out!
I believe it was a good party with LGM on a loop for alot of it but i can't remember a thing about it. Too distraught no doubt :lol:
That's a heartbreaking story :lol:

People come and go in your life, but the music stays for life.

Happy 30th bday LGM!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Nice to read these stories. It was my first exposure to Spiritualized or Spacemen 3, (thanks to a review in the Coventry Evening Telegraph!) and as it turns out, quite a life changing moment.

30 years is a long time isn't it. Still my favourite album. Going to put on the vinyl now.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I take "I want you" every way over "Run". Having that seismic reverb on vocals for "Sway" is still a mystery to me and so good that Jase has never done it again. LGM = what a sexy beast.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Good review here referencing the albums 4 suites which make a lot of sense. Anyone know is there any truth behind this arrangement or just the reviewers interpretation?

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/2168/
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

heisenberg wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:10 pm
sunray wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:17 am Not aged a bit. One of my Desert Island Discs for sure.

That's a heartbreaking story :lol:
'If I Were With Her Now', a romantic comedy drama starring Chloe Grace Moretz and Harry Styles will be released early December. We're just waiting on clearance from Jason for the soundtrack.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

veiko wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:53 pm . LGM = what a sexy beast.
Best LGM review ever! :D they should have put that on ads for the album
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angel-sighs wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:56 pm
veiko wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:53 pm . LGM = what a sexy beast.
Best LGM review ever! :D they should have put that on ads for the album
'Larger Gangster Melodies', Ray Winstone sings Spiritualized.