2001 BBC Radio 1 Session

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angel-sighs
Known user

2001 BBC Radio 1 Session

Post by angel-sighs »

Found this while rooting around on discogs.
Am i right in thinking 3 of these tracks became B sides also on the Complete Works volume 2? If i recall i think it was a Steve Lamacq session from the time.
For me the big thing is it means there's a version out there of Don't Just Do Something in the same quality and with the big ensemble.
Anyone else remember listening to the session at the time? I have a vague memory of the interview.
Such a shame it doesn't seem to have made it into bootleg land

https://www.discogs.com/release/2124835 ... -1-Session
veiko
Known user

Re: 2001 BBC Radio 1 Session

Post by veiko »

angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Never knew this existed either! Kinda interesting that there was a Spiritualized release called Amazing Grace before the actual album.
So those are the same live versions as on the Complete works too, right? How great would it be to get the rest of the session in the same quality
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

angel-sighs wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:44 pm Kinda interesting that there was a Spiritualized release called Amazing Grace before the actual album.
A snippet of the song "Amazing Grace" is on the album, as the intro for "Hold On". "Stay With Me" and "The Individual" were originally Pure Phase b-sides.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I've got that US release Amazing Grace 12" in my collection. I have a music night coming up as an after-show to the Spiritualized Brighton gig - must dig it out and give it a clean ready for an airing!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Greeny wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:21 am I've got that US release Amazing Grace 12" in my collection. I have a music night coming up as an after-show to the Spiritualized Brighton gig - must dig it out and give it a clean ready for an airing!
I can actually remember where i bought this. It was Waterloo Records in Austin, circa 2002. Pre-internet, i had no idea of its existence at the time but was delighted when i spotted it in the racks :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

mywhitenoise wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:08 pm
angel-sighs wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:44 pm Kinda interesting that there was a Spiritualized release called Amazing Grace before the actual album.
A snippet of the song "Amazing Grace" is on the album, as the intro for "Hold On". "Stay With Me" and "The Individual" were originally Pure Phase b-sides.
True. I think the phrase was something Jason was keen on at the time. If I remember correctly (this was now 2 decades ago.. damn i'm old!) you could buy tees just with that written on it, and J wore one himself the first time I saw them live.

So no one's got a copy of the full BBC radio session then? Dammit, was hoping someone might go "oh yeah I've got that on a cassette somewhere" 🙂
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I never understand musicians who were shirts of their own band, but Jase can indeed get away with that. Same thing with going to a gig and wearing shirt of the same band that is performing, though i'm guilty doing that with Spz. I kind of get the point of hordes of people going to Iron Maiden or Metallica gig and wearing shirts of same band. I bought my copy of Amazing Grace 12" in Stockholm also not knowing that it was out! After the Accelerator festival, with amazing line-up as with Yo La Tengo and Mogwai among many other gems. It truly sounds like an amazing session.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

angel-sighs wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:10 pm
True. I think the phrase was something Jason was keen on at the time. If I remember correctly (this was now 2 decades ago.. damn i'm old!) you could buy tees just with that written on it, and J wore one himself the first time I saw them live.
Oh, indeed. I managed to hunt one of those down at the time, much to the annoyance of my Spiritualized best buddy who was well jealous. I always used to wear it at their gigs and once he'd had a few he was prone to saying mournfully "...it's the one that Jason wears..."

Might have to dig it out for Brighton, although I fear it may have shrunk a little in my drawer ;)
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Thats great! Glad i remembered it correctly. I have a special affection for the LICD era as it was when i first saw the band live.

I do agree with the comment above that it's kinda lame for bands to wear their own merch (something that someone like Morrissey would do!).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angel-sighs wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:10 pm
So no one's got a copy of the full BBC radio session then? Dammit, was hoping someone might go "oh yeah I've got that on a cassette somewhere" 🙂
Well! I have a cassette somewhere, but it was only from one of the nights from the Evening Session with Schteve Lamacq. I remember that night recording ‘On Fire’ (I think) and ‘Do It All Over Again/Come Together’ for sure.

I was thrilled at the latter ‘I Didn’t Mean To Hurt You’ slow build psychedelic style, and ‘Come Together’ sounded fucking amazing and loud there.

Of course, these were issued soon enough as B-sides. I never realized they’d played so many songs - I believe very few were broadcast. I could be wrong. Why I didn’t spend each night copying that music… it was a weird time and place I suppose.

Either way, would love to hear the versions of ‘Don’t Just Do Something’ and ‘Lord Can You Hear Me’ - was there not something about Lamacq at the time commenting those were the most extensive sessions ever in post-production or something?

Totally ok with that, those versions still sound fucking amazing.

And I always feel ‘Amazing Grace (Peace on Earth)’ should have been on the titular album. It would have made a good counterpoint to ‘The Power and the Glory’ and yeah, the electric noise at the beginning of ‘Hold On’
O P 8
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Ah yes you just triggered a memory there Bza! I do now remember Lamacq commenting that Jason took the tapes away and did loads of remixing and post production. Very different to the usual indie band thing of just going in and bashing the songs out!
The songs are almost more like 'alternate versions' rather than straight live versions. Its weird how they did Do It All Over Again.. a song that was never played live again in any form.
And of course, the extended intro to On Fire eventually became The Power & The Glory. This must have been the first time it was played.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Somebody, somewhere must have a copy of that disc.
O P 8
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Acoording to Discogs 4 users of the site have a copy in their collection, albeit not for sale. Who here is going to bite the bullet and harangue/sweet talk them into making us a copy? :P
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

heisenberg wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:35 pm Acoording to Discogs 4 users of the site have a copy in their collection, albeit not for sale. Who here is going to bite the bullet and harangue/sweet talk them into making us a copy? :P
I might have to give it a shot. I can send them a tutorial for a perfect FLAC rip, and I can then upload it on the popular torrent sites (and here of course).
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I guess it's worth a try. I have a feeling the answer may be "how much is it worth to you?" though 😀
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

I sent a message to the 2 owners listed in the release. Hopefully one of them responds.
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

Got one reply back from a person who owns it on Discogs...

"Absolutely! I paid a lot of money for this with the sole intention of illegally sharing it with a bunch of strangers - for free!
Yeah, that's a 'no'. "

What an asshole.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Well good of you for trying. I can’t think there would be much demand for something like that: other than around here to be honest.

That £5 investment will hopefully keep them solvent in the ongoing financial shitstorm.
O P 8
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Yeah thanks for trying. It's all well and good them declining, but they could have been a bit more polite about it.
If one ever comes up for sale, I'll jump on it and will gladly share around these parts.
I guess the beeb have never repeated it either.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

mywhitenoise wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:35 pm Got one reply back from a person who owns it on Discogs...

"Absolutely! I paid a lot of money for this with the sole intention of illegally sharing it with a bunch of strangers - for free!
Yeah, that's a 'no'. "

What an asshole.
lol what a dick. appreciate the effort.

assuming it was someone from this thread who recently purchased the Amazing Grace 12" on discogs? Must admit I think I may want to grab it now too.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Wow what a response :lol: What a prick. Why am I imagining it's in the hands of the clown who interviewed Mads? Or maybe it's Gerard Palmer, planning to release it through spaceage and not pay Jason. :lol:
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I realise the recent reissue series was just focusing on the albums themselves, but this is the kind of thing that would have been perfect for a second CD on a LICD reissue.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I've been called an asshole, prick and a dick. I'm definitely not sharing it now. Fuck the lot of youse.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:42 pm I've been called an asshole, prick and a dick. I'm definitely not sharing it now. Fuck the lot of youse.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but one of the other owners reached back to me and said he'd like to help. I sent him some tutorials on making a perfect FLAC rip, let's hope it's not too daunting for him.

I also offered to do it for him, if he trusts me enough to do that.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Amazing. If this happens, for those who would like to hear this, I’d like to think we can collectively thank that person somehow…
O P 8
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I agree that we should show our gratitude to this kind person for going to this effort for us.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Fantastic work! Thanks so much for following this up.
Definitely up for thinking of some way we can thank them.

Also on discogs i noticed a LICD promo interview CD. Went to buy the last one available in the UK (at a reasonable price anyways) and someones nabbed it.. not anyone here is it? :)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

You can all relax, i sent them a second hand Coldplay cd.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

sunray wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:02 pm You can all relax, i sent them a second hand Coldplay cd.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

Guy came through! He sent me .aiff files early this morning. I've uploaded them as FLAC, and v0. Don't Just Do Something is great!

Do you guys want to pitch in to buy him a record or something? So nice of the stranger to help us out.

https://mega.nz/folder/EwlCmKzD#5PB7VrU1cXrclTlDZ_t6Lw
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

That's excellent - many thanks to the source (and yourself).

So the Amazing Grace single suggests the session was recorded Aug 14-16 2001. I'm assuming the session was then broadcast on the BBC Radio 1 Steve Lamacq evening session (BBC schedule listing here) on 11 September 2001 (aka the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the USA).
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Amazing. Thank you
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Superb! Thanks so much to everyone involved. A new little niche of the Spiritualized story found.
Yep we could chip in and get them something. Do they have a wishlist on discogs?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Absolutely. Interesting to hear the slightly rawer, but still immaculately produced versions of ‘Out of sight’, ‘Don’t just do something’ and ‘Lord can you hear me’ from that session.

‘Don’t just do something’ is incredible. It works so well - it’s almost like an unplugged version compared to the LP take. ‘Lord can you hear me’ was a surprise in itself…

As noted by Jebus, and as I alluded to the week of transmission was a strange time for sure. I wonder if due to the events the Evening Session usual thing of a song or two per night just didn’t happen. It’s a shame those versions of those songs didn’t make it out there. Although some made the b-sides of the concurrent singles. Who knows?

Thanks for everyone involved in this though. Definitely the kind person who shared this should be thanked in some manner.
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

BzaInSpace wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:07 pm As noted by Jebus, and as I alluded to the week of transmission was a strange time for sure. I wonder if due to the events the Evening Session usual thing of a song or two per night just didn’t happen. It’s a shame those versions of those songs didn’t make it out there. Although some made the b-sides of the concurrent singles. Who knows?
I remember Laurie Anderson was scheduled to play that night or the following night in New York. O Superman was on her setlist, and she did it. I can’t imagine how, but of course it was what she needed to do.

anyway. glad you guys have the recording. I’d be happy to chip in a dollar or two towards thanks/I’m not downloading it but it’s so nice to see how this story ended happily
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

I sent him a reply to see if he'll accept a thank you gift from us. I like the suggestion of getting a record on his wishlist. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

What an astounding beauty is that session :!: I sadly don't have finances to chip in, but the camaraderie on the forum right now is overwhelming. Mesmerizing session.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Love the fact that the guy shared this with us. I'll happily chip in some dough for a thank you gift.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

He said he didn't want a gift, just pleased to make so many of us happy :D
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

What happened to the vocals in Lord Can You Hear Me?
Thanks for this recording btw.
Huge.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Had a listen- wow, it was everything i hoped for. They really were reaching for the moon at this time, with such a huge sound.
Don't Just Do Something is basically a really high quality version of how they played it on that tour, something i was only getting part of previously, what with dodgy bootleg sound etc.
It is strange that Lord Can You Hear Me is instrumental. Kinda makes it an alternate version though. Maybe they were thinking of that for a B side? I really got into that bed of keyboards and that slide guitar
ungere
Known user

Post by ungere »

This is fantastic!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

This is phenomenal. Out of Sight is glorious- definitely my new favourite take on it.

Don't Just Do Something is probably my favourite Spiritualized song, so it's amazing to have this version of it. Just beautiful.

We both know the versions of On Fire and Do it all Over Again/Come Together, but it bears repeating just how good they are. They sound so arranged yet improvised at the same time. Those guitars throughout Do it all Over Again are pure soothing magic.

Perhaps they ran out of time to put a vocal to Lord Can you Hear Me? Or couldn't get a take they were happy with? Regardles, this has Soul 1 levels of reflective melancholy here. Awesome.

Amazing that half of this eluded us for so long and never saw the light of day. The kind person on Discogs is a total hero. If they happen to read this- cheers!
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

I seem to have missed it, if someone doesn't mind popping it back.
Alistair
Known user

Post by Alistair »

Massive thanks to the Discogs person for sharing this. Don't Just Do Something in particular is incredible!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I keep going back to this… it’s just something else & amazing. Those songs… in what is essentially an unplugged performance given the album, the band rolls all the way through.

‘Out if sight’, that’s a take and a half!

‘Don’t just do something’: 🤯

That’s pure soul music.
White__Light
Known user

Post by White__Light »

aadamm wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:33 pm I seem to have missed it, if someone doesn't mind popping it back.
The Mega link further up thread is still live.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Good news- someones put a CD of the session for sale on discogs.
Bad news- its 299 quid!