25 years since…

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

25 years since…

Post by BzaInSpace »

Not entirely sure if this has been mentioned already, but in classic ® style just a week or so late…

There was a huge amount of comment on Reddit - the best and worst source for news ever - regarding that 25 years had passed since ‘OK Computer’ was released.

No disrespect to fans of that band, or that record… but a much more epochal and important album was released that same day. I was there in a midnight opening at the long gone One Up in Aberdeen. This had mentioned in fanzines and the local press (nil internet: it was the big album release night of the year)

Like tonight, it was a beautifully balmy night on the North East coast of Scotland.

When I saw the piles of pillboxes® I had to grab one of those. I got a Radiohead poster anyway. I still maintain that LaG is infinitely a better record. I played some of that Radiohead album some time back and… I can’t get into it all. IMO the best bits are amazing but they’re limited and fleeting indeed.

Another album that cropped up was ‘Wu-Tang Forever’

Now that’s a proper fucking double album. Overblown, bonkers and very heavy. I have so much love for that album.
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Re: 25 years since…

Post by sunray »

I was in Germany when L&G was released and thus missed out on all the press surrounding it (plus the opportunity of picking it up on vinyl). Due to britpop i had long given up on the music weeklies by 1997 and really knew very little about it other than the title. Picked up a pill pack on my return sometime during the summer and loved it. The music, lyrics and immense sound of it made a great impression after the relative (at the time) disappointment of Pure Phase.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Wow that's a long time. I didn't get the album on release, I must have purchased it in 98 or 99 or so. I saw the pill box just sitting in the racks in the music store. Not sure if i got lucky there, or it was actually quite abundant at the time. Every time I open that damn box for a listen it gets a little weaker! :D

I know a lot of people have other favourites (most commonly Lazer Guided Melodies) but L&G really does stand up for me as a magnum opus of sorts for me. It kinda sounds of the 90s but also timeless. It's trippy and droney but it's also surprisingly clean and dry sounding.

Might give the boxset a listen with all the demos too. Some superb stuff on there, doesn't look like we'll ever get any archive sets in the future, very glad we got that one.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I feel in someways the ‘as required’ discs on that 2009 set have been slept on. There’s some amazing stuff on there for the nerds :!: amongst us…

The evolution of the title track and ‘I think I’m in love’. The takes of ‘Electricity’ that should have been proper 7” single versions or whatever. The instrumental tracks that sound like ‘Pure Phase’ outtakes. ‘Cop shoot cop…’ with Dr John’s piano loud in the mix. It’s all sequenced so beautifully.

I know they missed something in doing that for every album in the recent reissues, but more than any other I want to hear something similar for Let It Come Down.
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:58 pm I feel in someways the ‘as required’ discs on that 2009 set have been slept on. There’s some amazing stuff on there for the nerds :!: amongst us…
I've still not listened to the third disc :lol: :shock: :roll:
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

For some reason I'm especially fond of the Ladies And Gentlemen (Original Oratone Ideas).
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

sunray wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:04 pm
BzaInSpace wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:58 pm I feel in someways the ‘as required’ discs on that 2009 set have been slept on. There’s some amazing stuff on there for the nerds :!: amongst us…
I've still not listened to the third disc :lol: :shock: :roll:
Sacrilege! Some great stuff on there.
I like how Jason kind of sequenced it like a mix tape, sometimes it's just snippets or enough for you to get how a specific version is different. To make it a good listening experience rather than 10 slightly different versions of the same song in a row.
And the fact he felt the album didn't need a remaster. Too right!

And yeah, those snippets of the dialogue show how it worked. Kate trying to get just the right emphasis etc.
How would it even work if that was her rejection voicemail "alright Jase, hows it going? Big news. you're dumped, I've found another fella. Oh and by the way? Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space. Cheers."
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I might dig those bonus discs out at the weekend. I recall there was some good stuff on the first one (Come Together and Rocket Shaped Song) but a lot of not so interesting material also (i could have done without seven versions of the title track for example).
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

It's been a while since I listened to that reissue as well....but I remember liking how it flowed even though it was demos/ideas/alt takes.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

sunray wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:16 pm I might dig those bonus discs out at the weekend. I recall there was some good stuff on the first one (Come Together and Rocket Shaped Song) but a lot of not so interesting material also (i could have done without seven versions of the title track for example).
See it differently myself. It's not like its 7 different full versions of the title track . Some are less than 1 or 2 mins long. I am not sure what else they could have done to make it an enjoyable listening experience. I guess if you are not even fond of the song in the first place, it could be bit of a grind. Like giving me 7 versions of Lay It Down Slow or something!

Agree on Rocket Shaped Song (and Beautiful Happiness) as highlights. Great to get some 'new' songs in the same electronic/droney vibe as Electric Mainline. Wonder when they were recorded and how they never even made it as B sides.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angel-sighs wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:09 pm
sunray wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:16 pm I might dig those bonus discs out at the weekend. I recall there was some good stuff on the first one (Come Together and Rocket Shaped Song) but a lot of not so interesting material also (i could have done without seven versions of the title track for example).
See it differently myself. It's not like its 7 different full versions of the title track . Some are less than 1 or 2 mins long. I am not sure what else they could have done to make it an enjoyable listening experience. I guess if you are not even fond of the song in the first place, it could be bit of a grind. Like giving me 7 versions of Lay It Down Slow or something!
I'm not fond of the title track so yeah it is a bit of a grind :lol: I don't find the snippets enjoyable though, more a bit pointless tbh. I've no interest in hearing how a track develops in that manner, just give me some decent demos instead.