Lou Reed Words and Music May 1965

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

purespace
Known user

Lou Reed Words and Music May 1965

Post by purespace »

Light In the Attic, in cooperation with Laurie Anderson, have up for preorder, and in various bundles/formats (even 8 track!), previously unheard demos/first iterations of Lou's songs he put down on tape with John Cale. Has anyone else seen this? Thinking of pre-ordering. What are your thoughts?
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Re: Lou Reed Words and Music May 1965

Post by sunray »

Saw it, thought about it, then decided against it. It would just be another nice artifact, sitting on a shelf, that i would never play.
I'll wait for the songs to appear somewhere, sometime in the future.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Only heard the early, early, REALLY lo-fi Waiting For My Man... Its interesting, in the way The Beatles Anthology Vol 1 is and if it moves on similarly in future releases ( is this an archival series? I got that impression) I guess it could get interesting, but this level of early musical archeology has limited appeal to me personally
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I like the story about how he mailed the tape to himself to establish copyright, then it literally sat on a shelf for decades.
Agree though that i can't see myself playing this kind of super early stuff regularly. Interesting to see how this series evolves. Not sure how much the Velvets have left in the vaults or if it will concentrate on his solo career.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I'm actually really taken by his guitar playing on some of these tracks. Much more blues-y and suprisingly complicated in comparison to the album versions.