Spirit of Eden

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

stegraham
Known user

Spirit of Eden

Post by stegraham »

I've just been reading a review for the Engineers' debut album (which I think is brilliant), and it references the album "Spirit of Eden " by Talk Talk. Reading the reviews on Amazon about Spirit of Eden, it sounds like an interesting album. Any views about it on here? I remember Talk Talk froma coupel of tracks in the 80s, but don't really know much about them Ta!
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Well worth a listen.

"I believe in you" is outstanding (not sure If I recall correctly but I think this is another song about Heroin)

Another personal fave (not on the album) which plucks a few heart/memory strings is April 5th
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, Spirit of Eden is a damn fine album. I definitely think that it'd appeal to most Spiritualized fans. The only problem I have with it is that the lyrics are quite garbled throughout, but that's part of the singer's delivery.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

and don't forget its companion piece Laughing Stock. Some even prefer this one.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Good call Starfish
Im listening to Laughing Stock at the moment.
A gem
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I quite like the impressive atmospherics in Talk Talk's music, but find Mark Hollis's vocals a bit hard to get past. Pretty nasal-driven for the most part.

I saw Talk Talk in 1982 and they were rather New Romantic bizarrely!
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

Hedspace wrote:Well worth a listen.

"I believe in you" is outstanding (not sure If I recall correctly but I think this is another song about Heroin)

Another personal fave (not on the album) which plucks a few heart/memory strings is April 5th

love april 5th! in the same style as spiritofeden and laughingstock albums. too bad hollis solo album wasn´t as good.. (but still good of course)