The 'Unofficial' Complete Works...some

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Ian Goodchild
Known user

The 'Unofficial' Complete Works...some

Post by Ian Goodchild »

Sheesh, It sounds kinda heel-ish to say anything negative about a 'project' that seems to be so altruistic, and one that also seems to rectify most of the problems associated with 'Official' Complete Works Volumes I and II (hold on…. can't remember what the problems were now…oh no, wait! It's coming back: EVERYTHING). I agree 100% that there is a desperate need for a REAL Complete Works (although my personal preference would be for a five disc boxed-set: Best of Live [2 Discs, covering 7 years each], 'Best of' Radio Sessions [1992-2003, would need to be on two discs] and a 'Rarities' disc with just ONE version of every unreleased track).

But at the same time, I have a few reservations about the idea of the unofficial Complete Works. Not that my opinion should matter much - I'm not involved, but in favour of the idea - and my personal feeling is that this a very worthwhile project, anyway.

Okay, my issues with this set? Basically, I bought the Beach Boys' 'Good Vibrations' 5-CD boxed-set a few years back - way back in the last century - and to say that it blew me away would be a grotesque understatement. Strange really, because 90% of it I had already; one disc (the 'Bonus' one, naturally) was full of acapella songs; songs that you could pan from left to right on yer stereo ( :? great fun for 8 seconds) and/or instrumental versions of songs :cry: . Most of the genuinely unreleased songs I had on various bootlegs (a lot of 'Smile' era stuff, but some latter period stuff too). And quite a few tracks that I loved (12) were omitted (like their renamed Charles Manson cover of 'Cease to Exist').

So, was it worth nearly £50? Absolutely, and then some. You could take any disc from the five CDs (or all five if you have a multi-play CD, which I do), whack it in the stereo and listen to it without the need to skip track after track. Not once did I think: "Er… I've already heard six versions of this song. Don't know if I can listen to another instrumental version of this track without slitting my wrists…" The musical quality - even on the often derided latter period Beach Boys - was awesome (duh! It's the Beach Boys). None of the tracks needed to be skipped because of poor/weak/inadequate mastering or huge volume fluctuations (*cough* Complete Works Volume I….'I Want You' *cough*), and these tracks were recorded not ten years ago, but thirty plus in some cases. Home demos. And in mono.

Putting the four (real) discs of this Box-set against CWVI an CWVII just goes to show the lameness of the four discs that will come to embody the 13-year career, the worth, significance and historical relevance of Jason Pierce and Spiritualized. Sadly, even as a Spiritualized-fan first and an everybody-else fan second, 'Good Vibrations' makes Spiritualized look like dogshit. Is it fair to make this comparison? Probably not. So, will Complete Works I and II go down in history as anything other than a bad singles collection? Highly likely.

So, does the non-official 'Complete Works' with the 7-disc tracklisting below could go some way to rectify this? Well, it's certainly comprehensive as hell, BUT:

- It repeats the problematic repeat tracking of Official CWV I and II (e.g. Track 1: Feel So Sad, Track 2: Feel So Sad (instrumental), Track 3: Feel So Sad (7" single version), Track 4: Feel So Sad (13.20) etc. etc.). Now, for completists, or for people who don't have the early stuff, or rarer stuff, that's not a problem. And indeed, there are more than a few genuine delights listed here that everyone should hear. But, for someone who'd like a set similar to the 'Good Vibrations' stuff, not so good: it would be a kind of masochistic endurance test: "So, how many versions of Anyway That You Want Me can you sit through?"

- Some of the quality of the tracks is going to be dodgy, right? I mean unless these tracks have all been remixed and remastered, tracks such as 'These Blues' (demo), the 'Anyway That You Want Me' remixes (a vinyl only release); 'I Want You/Feel So Sad' (7" vinyl); any of the Hit the North session tracks (mono, poor audio quality); all of the 'Fucked Up Inside' tracks were recorded at a substantially lower volume than any other CD, live or studio. I have first generation masters of all of these, and aside from FUI, the quality is poor to average, especially when played alongside the official releases. I'm sorry if that sounds pedantic - anyone in the world who has traded a Spiritualized tape has got material with shaky audio quality. And some of the best stuff Spiritualized has ever recorded has been recorded with poor audio quality. If this has been addressed, and the quality improved PLEASE LET ME KNOW (e.g. 'These Blues: Clean'?)

- Super-pedantry, here, I'm afraid - I apologise in advance: some tracks are missing, so this is not really the Complete Works. If you have 'These Blues' you've got to have ALL the 'Recurring' demos/outtakes/singles ('Sometimes', the brilliant, ultra-long, bass-heavy 'Drive/Feel So Sad', the REAL Alternate version of 'Feelin' Just Fine'; the 1.38 demo of 'Drive'; the 'Drive' Remix (from 'I Love You/Drive' remix). Then the other radio sessions - MRS 1995 (Full: Let it Flow, All of My Tears, Things'll Never Be the Same), the other JPS Tracks (1995); the other Breezeblock Tracks. Then there's all the medleys performed live, radically different or alternate versions of tracks.

- There should be a Disc 8 now I guess: single 'edits' of 'LICD' tracks, Rock and Roll, Goin' Down Slow, On Fire (Session), 'Do It All Over Again/Come Together' (session), Don't Just Do Something (Session) 'Lord Can You Hear Me?' (Session), 'Amazing Grace (Peace on Earth)', 'Stop Your Crying' (acoustic), 'Hold On' (acoustic), 'All of My Tears' (acoustic), 'Electric Mainline' (acoustic), 'Hold On' (Warchild Mix) Poss. bonus Tracks: Let it Flow, Take Me To The Other Side/Come Together (Radio 1, live at Portsmouth). You could call Disc 8 'Songs that Most Fans (but not me) Felt Disappointed By.'

- Some of the tracks are a bit on the crap side…'Spread Your Wings (Pure Phase)' and 'Rocket USA' (unlistenable crap, surely)…? And some of the ATYWM remixes are pretty dire.

Okay, that's it. Please, please don't take this as a personal, vindictive and/or unnecessary criticism of a very well thought-out and extremely thorough project. If anything, you deserve praise for doing this. It's (quite rightly) free (trading) and as a fan-based project, I think It's possibly as good as it could be.

My concern is that some of the people who get this may not quite understand the bizarre world of tape/CD trading and may have artificially high expectations about the quality of the set (e.g. that all of the tracks through from discs 1-7 are going to have studio quality mixing/mastering)…and a few other reservations.

To finish, on tracks alone; "The 'Fake' Complete Works" beats the hell out of Complete Works I and II, and if anyone called Jason Pierce listens to this, and hears 'what the fans want' from a set entitled 'Complete Works' (rather than what Jason can be bothered to compile during a bout of insomnia) then it may prod his lazy ass into gear. Somewhere between what Pierce can practically release, and what the fans want is the real Complete Works: a Complete Works that can sit alongside Beach Boys and Velvets box-sets.

Well, hope this didn't offend anyone: again - this is good stuff.

Spiritualized Lazer Guided Melodies
CD ONE
(73:43)*********************************************************************
Recurring Demos
1. These Blues 3:07
Anyway that you want me CD single Dedicated ZT 43784
2. Anyway That You Want Me 6:31
3. Step Into The Breeze (part 1) 2:48
4. Step Into The Breeze (part 2) 2:48
Anyway that you want me 12" Remix single Dedicated ZT 43870
5. Anyway That You Want Me (remix 1) 5:10
6. Anyway That You Want Me (remix 2) 4:52
7. Anyway That You Want Me (remix 3) 6:07
8. Anyway That You Want Me (demo) 3:09
Feel so sad/I want you CD single Fierce FRIGHT 053
9. Feel So Sad 5:35
10. I Want You 3:45
Feel so sad CD single Dedicated SPIRT 001
11. Feel So Sad (Rhapsodies) 13:21
12. Feel So Sad (Glides and Chimes) 6:33
Bonus Bootleg Track M. Radcliffe, Hit The North, 4/29/92
13. Step Into the Breeze 4:07
Bonus Bootleg Track M. Radcliffe, Radio One, 11/8/93
14. Sway 5:50

Spiritualized Lazer Guided Melodies
CD TWO
(71:00)*********************************************************************
Run/I want you CD single Dedicated SPIRT 002
1. Run 3:17
2. Luminescence (Stay With Me) 5:08
3. I Want You 3:55
4. Effervescent (Chimes) 7:16
Smile/Sway CD single Dedicated SPIRT 003
5. Why Don't You Smile Now 5:47
I want you CD single Dedicated SPIRT 004CD
6. You Know It's True (instrumental) 3:39
7. 100 Bars (Flashback) 6:01
Glastonbury 1992 Festival CD sampler
8. Shine a Light (live) 11:00
Medication CD single Dedicated SPIRT 005CD
9. Medication 8:19
10. Angel Sigh 4:44
11. Feel So Sad 8:09
12. Space 3:45
13. These Blues [cleaned] 3:07

Spiritualized Fucked Up Inside
CD THREE
(72:07)*********************************************************************
Medication 7" single
1. Smiles (John Peel session) 5:27
Fucked Up Inside CD album Dedicated DEDCD 008
2. Take Good Care Of It (live) 4:50
3. I Want You (live) 3:18
4. Medication (live) 7:34
5. Angel Sigh (live) 5:11
6. Walking With Jesus (live) 5:03
7. Shine A Light (Clear Light Clear Rush) (live) 14:40
8. Smiles (live) 6:35
Volume Six CD sampler
9. Smiles (live) 6:12
Smiles/100 bars 7" Dedicated flexie 7"
10. 100 Bars (A Capella version) 4:17
Bonus Bootleg Tracks M. Radcliffe, Hit The North, 4/29/92
11. If I Were With Her Now 4:21
12. Angel Sigh 4:39

Spiritualized Electric Mainline
CD FOUR
(70:22)*********************************************************************
Good dope, good fun 7" GREENPEACE 01
1. Good Dope, Good Fun 4:58
Electric mainline CD single Dedicated SPIRT 007
2. Good Times 4:05
3. Lay Back In The Sun 3:48
4. Electric Mainline (I) 7:48
5. Electric Mainline (II) 8:39
Dedicated Sampler CD
6. Lay Back in the Sun (alternate mix) 4:40
Volume Twelve CD sampler
7. Good Times (alternate mix) 5:44
Select Exclusives April 1995 Cassette
8. Spread Your Wings (Pure Phase) 8:11
Bonus Bootleg Tracks M. Radcliffe, Radio One, 11/8/93
9. Let It Flow (live) 4:50
10. Born Never Asked/Electric Mainline (live) 6:48
Bonus Bootleg Track J Peel, 4/18/95
10. Don't Go (live) 4:36
Bonus Bootleg Track Flux Festival, Queen's Hall, Edinburgh, 8/14/98
11. Cool Waves (live) 6:15

Spiritualized Electric Mainline
CD FIVE
(72:50)*********************************************************************
Let it flow CD single #2 Dedicated SPIRT 009CD(2)
1. Take Good Care Of It (live) 5:58
2. Things'll Never Be The Same (live) 7:17
3. Clear Rush (live) 7:14
Let it flow CD single #3 Dedicated SPIRT 009CD(3)
4. Medication (live) 7:38
5. Take Your Time (live) 6:43
6. Smiles (live) 5:42
Lay back in the sun CD single BMG/Dedicated 74321 31178 2
7. Lay Back In The Sun 3:46
8. Spread Your Wings (instrumental) 6:17
9. Lay Back In The Sun (instrumental) 4:25
Bonus Bootleg Tracks BBC2, Later with Jules Holland
10. Come Together 4:42
11. Broken Heart 4:30
12. Oh Happy Day 5:04
Bonus Bootleg Track Radio One Broadcast
13. I Am What I am 3:35

Spiritualized Rocket Shaped Songs
CD SIX
(73:36)*********************************************************************
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space CD album promo
1. Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space (elvis mix) 3:56
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space Japanese CD album
2. Broken Heart (instrumental version #1) 8:08
Electricity CD single #1 SPIRT 012CD(1)
3. Take Your Time (live) 7:33
4. All Of My Tears (live) 3:29
5. Cool Waves (instrumental) 3:05
Electricity CD single #2 SPIRT 012CD(2)
6. Cop Shoot Cop (live) 7:49
7. Shine A Light (live) 6:18
8. Electric Mainline (live) 6:47
Supplementary Dosage CD Promo Arista/Dedicated ASCD-3427
9. The X-Files Theme 3:34
I think I'm in love CD single Dedicated SPIRT 014CD
10. I Think I'm In Love (Chemical Brothers vocal remix) 7:40
11. I Think I'm In Love (Chemical Brothers instrumental remix) 7:39
Bonus Bootleg Track Meltdown, London Festival Theatre, 7/1/98
12. Lord Can You Hear Me (live) 7:38

Spiritualized Rocket Shaped Songs
CD SEVEN
(73:20)*********************************************************************
NME Clean sweep compilation CD NME NME AST 98
1. Rocket U.S.A. 10:27
Abbey road CD single Arista/Dedicated 07822 13508-2
2. Come Together 3:22
3. Come Together (Two Lone Swordsmen Mix) 15:33
4. Broken Heart 3:48
5. Broken Heart (instrumental) 4:21
Come together 12" remix single
6. Come Together (Death In Vegas Mix) 7:11
Abbey road German CD single Deconstruction (Germany) LC
7. Shine a light (live) 6:43
8. Electric Mainline (live) 5:02
9. Home of the Brave (live)3:29
10. The individual (live) 2:32
Bonus Bootleg Track Glasgow, 3/15/98
11. Nothing Hurts (live) 5:41
Bonus Bootleg Track Flux Festival, Queen's Hall, Edinburgh,
8/14/98
12. Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (live) 5:11

Needless to say, CWVI and II are irrelevant to some of us.

Couldn't agree more. :) still!
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Well thought-out objections there Ian. As always with Jason, one has to come to expect some kind of half-assed effort in instances like this. Another benchmark box set is The Cult's (yeah, I know) "Rare Cult" - choc full of demos, radically different alternate versions, B Sides, etc.

The real problem to be addressed however is that any such compilation will inevitably end up disappointing people. The fans who have been howling for truly rare or previously unreleased stuff will not be happy, and the casual listeners (who are not ready for 4 different versions of one song) will just end up bemused. The real audience for CWI and CWII are fans who may have come in later and just did not get the chance to buy this stuff first time round. CWI and CWII are just not for the likes of us, and we must never lose sight of the fact that there are people out there who do want these tracks but don't have them; now they can get them. We are in the minority here, simple as that.

Alternate solutions such as reissuing the original albums as 2CD sets with the second CD containing bonuses and rarities from the relevant period won't work too well either - we'll just have to go buy everything all over again. If you were to sit down and think about it, there is no real solution that can please everybody.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Ian:

All points well taken. As I sit here burning the first five sets, I completely understand the underwhelming feeling of 6 versions of Any Way That You Want Me and I rarely play cd 1 in the set because of that. But here's the beauty: you can select any track(s) off these cds and make your own set lists up and burn accordingly. And the sound quality: get a hold of a copy of this cd set and listen. Nothing is lost i.e. Fucked Up Inside sounds like the original pressing. Most of these songs were taken directly from original cds where available and being an audiophile, I am very happy with the sound quality. Even the tracks taken from vinyl are awesome.

Cheers.

Steve.