2003 Mojo CD???

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

2003 Mojo CD???

Post by TheWarmth »

I read a review of the new Super Furry Animals’ Under The Influence comp cd and noticed this:

“It includes to my knowledge the first CD release (aside from a 2003, similarly SFA-culled Mojo comp) of Dennis Wilson's lush 1970 B-side ‘Lady’.”

Don’t suppose anyone has this Mojo compilation and would be willing to provide a copy for me????? Let me know and I’d gladly trade other things for it.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I first heard that song through a SFA dj set on radio 1 back in 2001... i may have this on tape somewhere (almost certainly).

Can't recall the Mojo CD though Warmth.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

i've just sent you an mp3 of this song, warmth (pretty poor sound quality, though the song is magic) but i'm not sure if it's the same version as on the sfa comp. it is quite lovely though.

you should get an email with a link to it...if you don't want to get it, just ignore the mail and it's no problem.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Mojo comp in question was in fact a limited (vinyl??) pressing called Phantom Hour... As I recall, it was compiled by Gruff and was (very sadly) only available as a prize in a competition/draw held around the time they released Phantom Power (June/July 2003).

Aside from the Dennis Wilson song, it had tracks by Wendy and Bonnie, Kraftwerk, maybe the Beach Boys and many, many others. It was a pretty tasty complilation as I recall - possibly even better than Under The Inlfuence. As I remember, I really, really wanted a copy...

I'd give you the full tracklist to drool over, but my copy of that issue is in storage - maybe check with the kids over at the SFA message board.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

a furries issue from around the time of phantom power rings a bell - lovely aperturiffic grayscale portraits of the group, but i never noticed that prize comp ...

lady's off a single only issued in some european country or other i think, on the flip is the similarly fantastic but-altogether-different 'sound of free'. american spring's version of lady, 'fallin' in love' is up there with dennis', i think.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

O.k., I just did a quick search on the SFA message board and came up with the following link. All of the information regarding this compilation can be found here:

http://uk.sonymusic.co.uk/forums/phanto ... light=mojo

See - pretty cool, eh? Sadly it is very, very limited.

Funny coincidence - I just finished a mix cd for a friend and it also includes Love Song For A Dead Ché...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm going to try to compile this myself, but I definitely don't have all of these tracks. Maybe someone would be willing to help me out. I'm going to be missing quite a few. I'll post again with a list of what I need. After it's all together, I could send out copies to anyone interested.

01 Kraftwerk - Morgenspaziergang
02 Wendy and Bonnie - By The Sea
03 The United States of America - Love Song For The Dead Che
04 Marcos Valle - Viola Enluarada
05 Carol Kaye - Bass Catch
06 Bobbie Gentry - Fancy
07 Richard & Mimi Fariña - Joy 'Round My Brain
08 Y Diliau - Tyrd yn Ol
09 Meic Stevens - Rhedai ir mynydd
10 Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Stood On Gold
11 Elliot Smith - Say Yes
12 Jim O'Rourke - Ghost Ship In A Storm
13 Pentangle - When I Get Home
14 Davy Graham - Fire In My Soul
15 Gabor Szabo - Walking On Nails
16 John Fahey - Dances of the Inhabitants of the Invisible City of Bladensburg
17 Neil Young - Look Out For My Love
18 Bernard Herrmann - Cleaning The Cab
19 Young Marble Giants - Zebra Trucks
20 Shuggie Otis - XL-30
21 Dennis Wilson - Lady
22 Gil Scott Heron - Winter in America
23 Plush - Found A Little Baby
24 The Raspberries - Don't Want to Say Goodbye
25 Barry DeVorzon - Theme From 'The Warriors'
26 David Vorhaus/The Quest - The force version I
27 Devo - Nu-Tra Speaks
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote:

16 John Fahey - Dances of the Inhabitants of the Invisible City of Bladensburg

Weird sychronicity. I've been listening to that all last week as I put it on a mix at the weekend. (so if you need that particular track...)

It's the business.

Warmth, i'm gonna seek out the 2001 mix and post up the listing here
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

Just out of interest are any of you going to see the SFA at this festival in Newcastle?
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I would have but Im going home on the sunday afternoon to collect my son. Really looking forward to the new album because you know they never really dissapoint as far as Im concerned.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The only songs I have from this comp are the eleven with astericks next to them. Is anyone interested in helping me out? I'm sure I have some good things to trade to anyone willing. Let me know. Thanks!

01 Kraftwerk - Morgenspaziergang *
02 Wendy and Bonnie - By The Sea *
03 The United States of America - Love Song For The Dead Che *
04 Marcos Valle - Viola Enluarada
05 Carol Kaye - Bass Catch
06 Bobbie Gentry - Fancy
07 Richard & Mimi Fariña - Joy 'Round My Brain
08 Y Diliau - Tyrd yn Ol
09 Meic Stevens - Rhedai ir mynydd
10 Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Stood On Gold
11 Elliott Smith - Say Yes *
12 Jim O'Rourke - Ghost Ship In A Storm
13 Pentangle - When I Get Home
14 Davy Graham - Fire In My Soul
15 Gabor Szabo - Walking On Nails
16 John Fahey - Dances of the Inhabitants of the Invisible City of
Bladensburg *
17 Neil Young - Look Out For My Love *
18 Bernard Herrmann - Cleaning The Cab
19 Young Marble Giants - Zebra Trucks *
20 Shuggie Otis - XL-30 *
21 Dennis Wilson - Lady *
22 Gil Scott Heron - Winter in America
23 Plush - Found A Little Baby
24 The Raspberries - Don't Want to Say Goodbye *
25 Barry DeVorzon - Theme From 'The Warriors'
26 David Vorhaus/The Quest - The force version I
27 Devo - Nu-Tra Speaks *
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

warmth, I can add the jim o'rourke track

on the subject of band compilations, i'm really enjoying the second one on the stereolab site at the mo....
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

drop me a pm warmth, i can help out with a fair bit of that if you're on soulseek; lots if it's readily available and already assembled on there.

i'm off to check out that stereolab thing now ... i heard one of their mixes which was fantastic, there was a marcos valle track in there too (that freio aerodynamico one, i think) ...
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

How do you propse exchanging tracks? I'm not subscribed to any file sharing services presently, but would gladly post an mp3 on my personal web space.

I'll gladly throw in the Gorky's track... I was going to offer the O'Rourke track as well, but I was beaten to the punch.

PM me if you're interested. Once the compilation is complete, I'd quite like a copy if possible.

Speaking of Stereolab, I just picked up Oscillons from the Anti Sun on the weekend... A very enjoyable listen - very beautifully packaged! The new Monade (Laetitias side project) is quite nice as well.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

warmgun. wrote:How do you propse exchanging tracks? I'm not subscribed to any file sharing services presently, but would gladly post an mp3 on my personal web space.

I'll gladly throw in the Gorky's track... I was going to offer the O'Rourke track as well, but I was beaten to the punch.

PM me if you're interested. Once the compilation is complete, I'd quite like a copy if possible.

Speaking of Stereolab, I just picked up Oscillons from the Anti Sun on the weekend... A very enjoyable listen - very beautifully packaged! The new Monade (Laetitias side project) is quite nice as well.
If you want to post the tracks on your web page, that'd be fine. Otherwise I think You Send It is convenient (http://www.yousendit.com). Let me know what you think. Thanks!