Screamadelica

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Swede
Known user

Screamadelica

Post by Swede »

I have heard many mentions of Primal Scream, mostly in relation to Spiritualized, and I am wondering if Screamadelica is worth checking out? I have only really heard nice comments but again, I am completely unfamailiar with their music. Thank you!
Swede
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

screamadelica is the landmark dance / rock crossover of the nineties. Its a great album. Not very similar to the rest of their output which is much more guitar based.

Without a doubt worth having in your collection.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Worth having for sure but now sounds VERY dated to my ears.

Better to get the Kevin Shields remix of If They Move Kill Em.

It will blow your head off.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

That Kevin Sheilds mix is amazing. I may get slated for this but I think its the best thing hes ever done. Its frightening.

Screamadelica is a fantastic album. Very nice summer record. buy it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Set Screamadelica apart from everything else Primal Scream did as its the only decent release in their catalogue.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

talk sense runcible, even if you didn't like it, vanishing point is hardly rubbish, and come to that they're all pretty good, well maybe not that first one, sonic boom flower, god knows.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sorry mate - couldn't resist.

But I'll add I caught up in the hype of Vanishing Point and thought 'right - let's give them another chance' and bought it. And sorry again - I thought it was complete rubbish. Badly constructed, terrible songs (barring Motorhead which is a great song and which they inevitably ruin) and a massive let down all round. The final nail in their coffin for me.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i can't understand anything other than complete love for primal scream. screamadelica, to my ears, isn't dated at all - there's things like piano breaks in don't fight it, feel it and twinkly synths that you wouldn't hear today but it's a beautiful sounding record.

right on about kevin's if they move arkestra, too, i think it's one of the best things they've ever done, the final horn blows my head off.

vanishing point's a beautiful lp too ... i don't know how i should advertise or endorse it but i would have thought things like get duffy and trainspotting would be right up your street runcible ... you've really missed out if you haven't heard the last two, as well .. download a few things like 'a scanner darkly' and 'space blues #2' off evil heat, anything off xtrmntr ...
johanur
Known user

Post by johanur »

Swede:
Den är bra. konstigt att du inte har den. Den har ju varit med ett tag.
Skivan var kanon när den kom men nu kan den kännas lite "gammal".
Men den funkar på efterfester.
Mvh
Johan
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Believe me ANS I have tried so many times. Doesn't help that I find Gillespie to be rather an arse much of the time.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

heh, well, i still think you ought to poke around ... even the b-sides, there's some lovely downer sounding songs in the vain of long life on vanishing point, like 'how does it feel to belong'.

i think bobby's pretty much half of the attraction for me ... i really credit him above anyone else for my musical education, he turned me on to the vast majority of stuff that i listen to now, beginning with this article, a tape he made for select magazine with things by big star, lee hazlewood, scott walker, link wray, dion ... whenever he's dj'd on the radio since i've picked up a handful of nico, harry smith stuff, blind willie johnson, the shangri-la's, ernie k doe ...

i can't even really concede that he must jar a few people in interviews sometimes, which i know he does; to me he's just the most enthusiastic music fan around. i met him once in a supermarket and talked to him for a few minutes about love, he was really nice and curteous.

alas though, you like what you like ...
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Dion , eh...what a cracker.
Are we having Pacific Ocean Blue on this forum too ??

Runcible, I can see where you're comin from, but theres a lot worse i guess. Mind you , you've only got to see him knocking about in the south of france with moss and doherty to fall out with him. Not that I wouldn't be doimg the same, given half the chance.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

mark wrote:Are we having Pacific Ocean Blue on this forum too?

yes.

yes we are.

8)
telepathist
Known user

Post by telepathist »

yeah ok v. p. is a very good lp (and the film is a rush too!), but come on, allow yourself to thoroughly open up to the remarkable crazy wired stomper that is xtrmntr and you will learn that you may have failed to realise the full potential of an atomic bomb falling out in your very head for christs very sake!!!!! get with it people... for this is an incredible aural experience :shock: :!: :!:
Adovadotchka
Known user

Post by Adovadotchka »

runcible wrote:Set Screamadelica apart from everything else Primal Scream did as its the only decent release in their catalogue.
Maybe not the only "decent" release, but definitely their best!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Telepathist's got it. 'Accelerator' especially is a totally insane mix, right up into the red. When the g_uitar feeds back the noise is almost physical. Intensely moving...a jag of adrenaline. Or something...

But Swede, you MUST get 'Screamadelica'. The Weatherall/Scream magic is especially strong, and it has an "unearthly loved up vibe." Truly.

It also contains the best 'Come Together' ever.

Get this one, and if you like it, try the rest.
Lux
Known user

Post by Lux »

OP, Screamadelica is a delicious, trippy marriage between guitar rock and dance. Of course, at this point in time it probably won't sound as unique as it did in 1991 (or in that Cindy Crawford exercise video that featured the Primals accompanying Cindy on every knee-bend and lunge) but regardless, it is explosively euphoric. The first track sounds vaguely like early Spiritualized (hushed vocals AND a gospel choir. Together!) and the second track is a sexy cover of the 13th Floor Elevators "Slip Inside this House," which is more trip inside this house. Andy Weatherall emblellishes the album with fanciful arrangements and a very hedonistic glow. Even "I'm Comin' Down" and "Damaged" sound remarkably upbeat, considering.
I'd recommend it. Its affordable, its a "landmark," and more importantly, its just so irresistable.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Screamadelica's one of the best ever done IMO. Have to say I prefer the original 12'' mix of come together.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes