"Ladies and gentleman we are floating in space. ."

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ill_fokusd
New user

"Ladies and gentleman we are floating in space. ."

Post by ill_fokusd »

hey everyone, i'm new, and have JUST discovered my favorite song on the vanilla skies soundtrack.

does anyone know where i can download this beautiful song? or what album it is off of?

thanks
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

You have answered the question yourself bud, it's called ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space off the Ladies and gentelmen we are floating in space album.
psychedelicunder
New user

Post by psychedelicunder »

an album which is incidentally the greatest album ever made... by anyone
Paddy
Known user

Post by Paddy »

If you liked Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, pick up the album by the same name. It revived my interest in music, which had disappeared since I didn't actively seek out anything that I didn't hear on the radio (I was barely aware of the existence of a music press outside of Rolling Stone, which has become nothing but a joke with hot girls on the cover). Its probably the most moving, emotional album I have ever had the honor of listening too. And I think that Ladies and Gents may be the most wrenching song ever written. Its sublime and it kills me everytime. Good luck, happy listening.
Mad_Richard
Known user

Post by Mad_Richard »

Your question has been answered (The Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space album, which you can buy for a fair price off of Amazon.com) but I just wanted to agree with the above posters. The entire album is an amazing piece of art, an absolute masterpiece. Definetely a "must" and perhaps one of the greatest albums I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot. You won't hear much to best that stuff and the production is immaculate. The line from I Think I'm In Love (you'll know it when you hear it) is worth the asking price alone.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It's my favorite album ever and you can download it on any illegal filesharing program or iTunes.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

cheap fuckers, it's worth the packaging alone.

xxxshonnxxx
neal
Known user

Post by neal »

while this has been said, i will sai it again because it is THAT good. "LAGWAFIS" is in fact a fucking brilliant masterpiece and quite possibly the greatest record ever made.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

a beautiful noise wrote:cheap fuckers, it's worth the packaging alone.

xxxshonnxxx

Well, I was just answering the person's question...they asked where they could "download" it. Yet, I do agree: the special edition packaging (which I do own) that even has the prescription stickers and the CD is popped out like a pill is probably the pinnacle in the history of album art. It doesn't hurt that the album is amazing either...
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

Mad_Richard wrote:Your question has been answered (The Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space album, which you can buy for a fair price off of Amazon.com) but I just wanted to agree with the above posters. The entire album is an amazing piece of art, an absolute masterpiece. Definetely a "must" and perhaps one of the greatest albums I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot. You won't hear much to best that stuff and the production is immaculate. The line from I Think I'm In Love (you'll know it when you hear it) is worth the asking price alone.
Which line from I Think I'm In ln Love do you mean?
a beautiful noise
Known user

ohh you must mean

"i'll think i'll just steal it,
probably go ahead and download it".

:wink:

xxxshonnxxx
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

thats a lyric from the song? :?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

No jack
a beautiful noise
Known user

mission accomplished

xxx :evil: xxx
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i got married on a canoe.
a beautiful noise
Known user

ha ha jack, nice one.

me personally, i'd rather be sticking it to your sister still!

xxxshonnxxx
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

The Jig wrote:Fucking one of the best albums i own, despite it's apparent filler tracks.
You mean Broken Heart?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

a beautiful noise wrote:ha ha jack, nice one.

me personally, i'd rather be sticking it to your sister still!

xxxshonnxxx
meg is the best sister ever. you know what i mean.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

hmm, which is the nme broken heart?
i'm definitely with anyone defending that song; the way the strings lift up after he's stopped singing, or even the way it just swells at the very beginning.

i haven't heard anyone call them fillers, but things like all of my thoughts, home of the brave, are some of my very favourite things they've done. i think home of the brave would be held in the same high respect as a few of the other well-regarded songs on that lp if it weren't for it fading in from electricity and out into the individual, making it a little less single-ish. and, didn't they do 'all of my thoughts' live once or twice? i never saw it but seem to remember it being mentioned here, perhaps by jig.
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

The Jig wrote:In fact i think Broken Heart is a brilliant track and LAGWAFIS a brilliant album. The NME version is, in my opinion, is the best i've heard it. I love Broken Heart and don't for one second think it sounds out of place between The Individual and Not God Only Religion. And i think the more recent Live versions of Broken Heart sounds no where near as good as it did in the 90's.
I don't think it's a bad song, rather, it's just the song I skip everytime. If it was a b side I'd think it was a solid track as it wouldn't be an issue while listening to the album. The lyrics are a bit much though. LAGWAFIS is a brilliant album, and a brilliant mix job (though he had the time to do it.)
KR-3
New user

Post by KR-3 »

Wow...to even suggest that there are 'filler' tracks on LAGWAFIS is crazy. I must admit that the first time i heard that album i was completely blown away and immediately went out and bought Jasons whole catalog. I'm new to this board, don't know why i didn't join up earlier.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I agree. Ladies and Gents does not have filler tracks. People with ADD would probably get tired of The Individual, but other than that, the tracks are perfectly connected while serving their own individual purpose at the same time.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If you like Broken Heart go and listen to Hawkwind's Wind of Change from Hall of the Mountain Grill. Its where Jason pinched Broken Heart from and is infinitely superior. I've been saying that here for years - only $26 reacted.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i think broken heart's better. perhaps it was the inspiration, and i like it (my limited knowledge of whatever kind of fiddly-string-instrument that is reminds me of desire), but i prefer broken heart by a distance. it's good though. i sometimes think about compiling a tape of songs beginning and ending with explosion noises ... seven and seven is, oh yeah, motorhead ...
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

anorthernsoul wrote: ... seven and seven is, oh yeah, motorhead ...
err...shouldn't that be Arthur Lee and the mighty Love from their underrated second album 'Da Capo'???
You know I've been thinking about not coming down...
a beautiful noise
Known user

err, i think northern was referring to primals screams 'motorheid'. fantastic tune.

and ohh i agree i feel that 'brokn heart' is a much better track than 'wind of change'. i mean both of them on their own are beautiful tracks, but placed side by side, c'mon my good man, 'broken heart' is simply stunning.

FILLER thats just crap. thats all i can say.

xxxshonnxxx
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

a beautiful noise wrote:err, i think northern was referring to primals screams 'motorheid'. fantastic tune.

and ohh i agree i feel that 'brokn heart' is a much better track than 'wind of change'. i mean both of them on their own are beautiful tracks, but placed side by side, c'mon my good man, 'broken heart' is simply stunning.

FILLER thats just crap. thats all i can say.

xxxshonnxxx
I think that 'Broken Heart' is a great album track, best heard in the context of the songs around it on Ladies and Gentlemen... but certainly no filler.
You know I've been thinking about not coming down...
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

seven and seven is, oh yeah, motorhead
sorry, i should have tagged some notes on there, i kind of gave up when i realised my compilation was running out of steam; 7 + 7 is, by love, oh yeah, by can, motorhead, off vanishing point ...
Xephon
New user

Post by Xephon »

James1986 wrote-"Which line from I Think I'm In ln Love do you mean?"

Possibly "I think I'm in love...probably just hungry..."

Or my personal favourite, "Think I'm the life and soul...probably just snorting...".

Back on topic-1997 was one of those years when bands' third albums were the best work they'd done-Spiritualized being no exception.It's one of those few albums can leave on from beginning to end.Ladies and Gentlemen... is worth tracking down in the original "pill-popping" version.Remember seeing the 12 3" cd version in the Vinyl Exchange in Soho going for silly money.Still regret not picking it up though!
neal
Known user

Post by neal »

all of the call and response lines from "i think i'm in love" are fucking great. "i think that i could be yr man - probably just thinking" sums up my life right now...i'm not a snorter but "i think i'm on fire - probably just smoking" always makes me smile.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Neal, please give my regards to Rick, Vivian and Mike
"Thank you"
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

"I think I'm in love...probably just hungry..."

Funnily enough, this is by far my least favourite lyric on the song, I just never really got what it meant I guess. Oh well.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I always enjoyed that lyric actually, partly for its mysterious nature, but also because being in love is impossible to describe and therfore could be interpreted as almost anything to do with the senses.

Course its probably that Jason happened to be peckish when he wrote it, but then I've never been one for lyrics for the most part.
ninhalo4teen
Known user

Post by ninhalo4teen »

To be honest, after hearing the song for a number of times, it almost sounds like a significant other's response to statements.
I'm in love, awww naw, ur just hungry.
I think ive got it bad, eww, ur probably contageous.
You get the drift.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I always thought those lyrics were Jason's way of expressing emptiness. I guess I have always just been sure. :wink:
a beautiful noise
Known user

"I always thought those lyrics were Jason's way of expressing emptiness"

i agree, nice touch.

xxxshonnxxx
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

Broken Heart is not only, imo, the centerpiece to LAGWAFIS, but among the most affecting pieces in the history of western music. I do skip it sometimes, but not because it's sub-par. On the contrary, it's too much at times.
neonsleep
Known user

Post by neonsleep »

I have an unopened 12x 3" CD version of LAGWAFIS, go me! haha. I have a signed unopened 5" pill CD version of it aswell. Sorry to sound like I'm bragging but ya gotta tell someone when the topic comes up ;)
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

neonsleep wrote:I have an unopened 12x 3" CD version of LAGWAFIS, go me! haha. I have a signed unopened 5" pill CD version of it aswell. Sorry to sound like I'm bragging but ya gotta tell someone when the topic comes up ;)
So you're a collector nerd? :wink:
a beautiful noise
Known user

well since we are whipping our cocks out (just a figure of speech ladies)

i have the 12-cd set of LAGWAFIS signed ,

so there

xxxshonnxxx
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

And I've got TWO copies of the promo with the LAGWAFIS Elvis mix...maybe I should destroy one to make the other one even more valuable :D
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

you people and your material possessions disgust me.
telepathist
Known user

Mind if i whip my cock out then?...

Post by telepathist »

- an ultra-rare deleted, number 1 of 100 Romanian import of 'My Dads Bigger Than Your Dad' by The Flared Nostrils, with one of lead guitarist Tig Gniyls' right index finger nail clippings attached,
- two very prestige still in original packaging, signed 12" models of Jason Pierce in fully accessorised astronaut outfit produced by Scandanavian toy manufacturers Tihsllub (one of these baby's fetched over $250 on ebay in 1990 during the World Cup in Italy),
- a white-label copy of Voodoo Ray by A Guy Called Gerald. This is the only copy of the version with Lulu on vocals, and its rad!! (You can actually hear the infamous studio gangbang going on between the 3rd and 4th minutes of the recording in the foreground!!)
- ten minutes worth of live recording of Axl Rose singing a medley of Pet Shop Boys tracks in his shower on New Years' Eve 1992, as part of a signed set along with 4 exclusive only for Japanese market photos of Glen Madieros, Milli Vanilli, Charles and Eddie, and June Sarpong, got to be seen to be believed, believe you me!!
Plus loads of other rare stuff i cant really go into cos its so rare i can only breath the details with full armoured security present...
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I have an exclusive dump taken by spaceman that I have in a signed presentation case full of formaldehyde.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

whats it smell like?

shit probably. but maybe like a garden full of roses? and kittens? and babies?
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Like a lot of other humans I cant smell through plastic
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

I have one of those ultra-rare contractual-obligation versions of Amazing Grace released by BMG. Yeah, it still stinks.