Here Come The Tears

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Here Come The Tears

Post by TheWarmth »

Has no one here heard the Tears’ album? I’m completely floored by it and honestly, I didn’t expect it to do much for me, considering the poor quality of the last Suede album and Bernard Butler’s second solo outing. Aside from a few cliché Anderson lyrics, it’s really a pop masterpiece. Any thoughts at all???
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Nop, but I recently received a cd ep from a band called the Swear. It's a bit the Strokes alike. Does anyone's got more info about them?
"Thank you"
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

personally, i think that brett anderson has the worst voice in music.

stop. go away.

can bernard sing??

xxxshonnxxx
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Brett's voice sounds exceptional on the Tears' album. He's extremely talented. Bernard isn't much of a singer, but his guitar work and production techniques are brilliant.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

yeah yeah, always thought that about suese, fantastic guitar work, if only the brett would shut-up so you could hear it!

xxxshonnxxx

p/s- i actually saw them on their first tour of the states, before the 'nude' album was even released here. it was fantastic, bernard played with a giant sunflower in his mouth that somebody had given him. maybe 20, 30 people max were at the show.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

I think most of the songs on the record are great, but as an album it wears thin to hear the same "outcast lovers" themes over and over and over.

Still, lots of great songs.
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

Fantastic album this...

Suede have always been a guilty pleasure for me, but like The Warmth noted, the last couple of albums didn't just cut it. Regarding the vocals, I think Brett's voice has matured quite nicely. Production (by Butler) is quite on the lines of the first two albums (produced by Ed Buller, whose guts Butler hated, I've read). The production style really supports the guitar playing and vice versa. This signature Butler/Suede -sound just gets me every time. Lyrically nothing new for Anderson, quite clichéd as stated. Laughed quite a bit on "Apollo 13", "If you follow me/ I will folllow you to the unknown / Aaahaaaa, like Apollo 13 we'll explode". However quite like the lyrics on "The Ghost of You", though I can't say why. "Brave New Century" is a strong song, and I suppose the lyrics are allright, but each time Anderson goes "political" it just seems awkward. His notions of society are quite tame and very obvious.

Best cuts: Refugees, The Ghost of You, Fallen Idol, Brave New Century, Beautiful Pain
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

good review, Juzba.

Tears are playing at Roskilde fest. i wonder will they get away without playing any Suede songs....
neal
Known user

Post by neal »

i am a suede fan but i will agree that they went downhill w/o butler and i would rather see anderson and butler back together than have a 6th suede record.
unkle_karl
Known user

Post by unkle_karl »

I actually got this album last week, and was really heartened by some really good reviews (I'm a big fan of early suede, and I think Butler is just amazing....). But I was very disappointed....musically it's pretty good in places (not all the songs are that great though), but the lyrics are just awful. 'Imperfections' is quite embarrassing in places ("You taste like orange chocolate..."), and the 'political' lyrics....hmm....

I'm hoping it grows on me, as I was very excited about this album, but at the minute a big thumbs down from me....