NEW ALBUM LYRICS!!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Have Spiritualized gone downhill since Jason stopped feeling so passionately about Kate Radley (i.e. after LAGWAFIS)

Yes, what's happened? I hope the new album sees a return to form
35%
No, don't be ridiculous they keep on getting better than better
65%

Total votes: 26

james948
Known user

NEW ALBUM LYRICS!!

Post by james948 »

Not sure if this has been posted before; if it has; apologies.
Pausing the video you can see new lyrics. For those wondering what the tone of the next album will be this may provide an insight.
copied out as best I could

When you know about life

And the stars ___ above
And the hurt in ma blood
And I could have loved you
A little bit more

And I know I’d have known how to
If I’d seen it before
And I know you’d have called me
But I get more worried by the hour

++++++++++

and the waves crash out
the wind blow the air
and my thoughts fly about
and I know you could call me
if ever you could

cos the wind took its toll
on the sails in my blood
and I know I would doubt it
If ever harm came to your home

(the following crossed out)
Daddy! Been holding down my thoughts
And not send any signs to you
Daddy! Been holding back my tears
And not letting my truth come there
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

uhm video!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

please share!

xxxshonnxxx
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

a beautiful noise wrote:uhm video!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

please share!

xxxshonnxxx

it's the trailer.

yeah, you can indeed check out the new lyrics if you push pause.
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

OK, forgive me if this does not seem right, im never too good with words.

Writing about broken hearts is all good, we love the songs, we relate to hem, we asscociate them with people blah blah blah, yet one of the finest, and most humbling (?) songs i have heard this year is by King Creosote, i dont think its from this year, its probably an older album (out of 27 is it now?) but i tells of the heartache of missing a child, when they grow up, they stop doing things that little kids do, i cant quote any lyrics, i dont know the song to well, but some of the best songs i have found can be wrote about the love between a parent and child, maybe thats cos im a parent?

anyway, if you havent already head on over to fencerecords.com.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the worst songs ever are when people start writing about their kids. if an 'artist' ever says that such and such is about their child, someone should be on hand to smash their faces in like i do.

back to the thread. i dont know if lyrically pierce has gone downhill since ladies and gentlemen... in fact, id argue that let it come down is perhaps him at his wittiest and most charming. truth be told, the simplistic nature of the spiritualized lyrics could be construed as a negative, but for someone to take it like this is really missing the point completely. nonetheless, the intricacies of let it come down really do appeal to me. apart from that album, i find the lyrics to be a much of a muchness in terms of quality. lets be honest, theres three things - drugs, religion and love and pierce has certainly done a majestic job in draining as many variations as possible and i can find no examples where he has fallen in quality.

and to those who do cry foul at the simplistic style of the lyrics, its testament to a mans skill to say so much using so little. and go on, attack me for not doing that in the above paragraph if you will, you fuckers. :P
and also, it could be argued, its not what he says, its the way that he says it. blah.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

i like this jack charactor!

xxxshonnxxx
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I wonder if it really IS Jack White. lol

Just because someone uses the word Daddy doesn't mean they are writing about their child. I've called plenty of men Daddy. :P

I agree with what Jack is saying about Let It Come Down. I think that album doesn't get enough props. Lyrically, Jason seems to know his stuff. He's pretty much influenced by great literature from interviews I've read. I'd actually like to know who his favorite poets/writers are.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

feetsies wrote:
Just because someone uses the word Daddy doesn't mean they are writing about their child. I've called plenty of men Daddy. :P
meg had a habit of calling me "daddy" when she would talk dirty. it always kinda grossed me out.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I've only called males that when they've asked me to, lol
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

jack white wrote:the worst songs ever are when people start writing about their kids. if an 'artist' ever says that such and such is about their child, someone should be on hand to smash their faces in like i do.
Wrong.
A Flower Given to My Daughter (James Joyce)

Frail the white rose and frail are
Her hands that gave
Whose soul is sere and paler
Than time's wan wave.

Rosefrail and fair-- yet frailest
A wonder wild
In gentle eyes thou veilest,
My blueveined child.

-& Brian Wilson's songs on Friends (1968)
-& a few by Donovan
-Gram Parsons wanted to put "Pretty Polly", a sordid rape-and-murder trad, on LP in 1968 as a tribute to his daughter, then an infant. [current photo: http://www.gramparsonstribute.com/pollybio.html - his spitting image]
DTL
Known user

Post by DTL »

Now I'm as big a Beach Boys fan as the next drooling mess but

"A man needs a woman
Like a woman needs a man
When the two get together, oh oh oh
Pretty soon we'll be a family of three
Then it's not gonna be just you and me
We'll share all the goodies
With the one we bring in the world"

Is shocking... But it doesn't make it a rule.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

What about songs on the kids from Fame
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
jahman
Known user

Post by jahman »

Jack White brought up a good point: all of jasons lyrics are about drugs, love and religion. now the first two are undenibly realities in his life, but
religion is not. I read in an interview that he uses religious words as a literary device and nothing more. this always struck me as dishonest. over the last two albums this has become more apparent i.e. name dropping Jesus every other song. he should stick to writing what he knows about: drugs and heartbreak.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I don't think it's dishonest at all to be dropping JC's name, depending on your interpretation. It's alway been said that religion is the opiate of the masses, so I find it quite appropriate. If you are religious, I can see how you can be offended, tho. But I doubt he cares. It's his art, afterall. "His" being the operative word.
jahman
Known user

Post by jahman »

no, I'm not really religious, its just that after the last album the JC references got on my nerves seeing as he's not a believer. kinda like if a 16 year old suburban kid writing a song about working behind a mule plowing crops all day. I'm not saying he shouldn't write it, its just not very believeable.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

What is there to believe, tho? I can understand your frustration with the repetitive references. I think he uses JC lots because you can substitute so many things for its meaning and therefore making the songs that more powerful. Well, that's my take anyway. I really don't see what there is to "believe" whereas I see it as more to interpret :)
pomoxian
New user

Post by pomoxian »

Does Jason have any kind of religious upbringing. I understand him not being religious as an adult but I have tended to doubt that he would bring all this Christian imagery into his lyrics if there were not some early formative experiences that got him hung up on the subject.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

From what I've read, he was brought up in a religious home, but he's stated in many interviews that the reason he references JC in a literary sense is due to the reference being a tradition in Blues as a genre.

As someone who went to catholic school and was brought up in a rigid catholic home, I'm pretty indifferent. I think it's pretty ingenius as a literary tool tho, if you start to interpret different things that represent "Jesus."
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

feetsies wrote: I can understand your frustration with the repetitive references. I think he uses JC lots because you can substitute so many things for its meaning and therefore making the songs that more powerful.
okay, but overuse reduces the impact and eventually makes it sound the opposite of powerfull. Like someone who swears all the time.

If there are no god or religions references on this album I will be happy.
DTL
Known user

Post by DTL »

He's also said in interviews that Jesus makes it bigger than saying baby.

Oooh Jesus I love your way... everyday...
twentysixdollars
Known user

I dunno. I say "Jesus fucking Christ" all the time and I'm jewish.

It's certainly a more potent image than "Lord give me some drugs." Atheists and agnostics are entitled to wrestle with religion. Particularly in the west; by virtue of a largely observant-Christian establishment, what you end up with is a handful of generations who feel that they need to undergo a 'spiritual crisis' to lose their faith, rather than (as I did) simply, quietly and without remorse, abandon it. If consciousness of a void is culturally instilled it's hard not to feel it's there even if it isn't. I think one of the few admirable features of Amazing Grace is its outright agnosticism, despite its almost programmatic deployment of religious metaphor.
Last edited by twentysixdollars on Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

$26. Sometimes i wish i was intelligent enough to fully understand your posts. I think I agree with you, even if you were on the face of it disagreeing with mine.

I believe you can have emotionally powerfull songs without resorting to the 'big guns' of god and religion so frequently.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

clewsr wrote:
feetsies wrote: I can understand your frustration with the repetitive references. I think he uses JC lots because you can substitute so many things for its meaning and therefore making the songs that more powerful.
okay, but overuse reduces the impact and eventually makes it sound the opposite of powerfull. Like someone who swears all the time.

If there are no god or religions references on this album I will be happy.
I can see your point, but we have to keep in mind that it is his art and the music will reflect what HE is happy with in the long run. I don't care either way, I liked Amazing Grace :P
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

pomoxian wrote:Does Jason have any kind of religious upbringing. I understand him not being religious as an adult but I have tended to doubt that he would bring all this Christian imagery into his lyrics if there were not some early formative experiences that got him hung up on the subject.
From my experience England is much more rooted in religion than people here in the US. Not that that makes people more religious per se but its part of the fabric of everyday life more than here in the US.

In the US I tend to steer clear of the more religious folk as they tend to be more preachy and in your face. Especially the religious right(who are flat out scary). Or the creeps who hang around Post Offices and places like that leaving those little "Christian" comic books all over. And when you try to ignore them they take it as an insult and get more agressive.

I have been to England a lot over the past 20 years and have never encountered anyone remotely like that. Except the CAMRA members in real ale pubs. But thats a totally different subject. :oops:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

twentysixdollars wrote:I dunno. I say "Jesus fucking Christ" all the time and I'm jewish.
thats precisely why you do say 'jesus fucking christ'! ive seen the passion! i know what you jews are up to!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jack white wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote:I dunno. I say "Jesus fucking Christ" all the time and I'm jewish.
thats precisely why you do say 'jesus fucking christ'! ive seen the passion! i know what you jews are up to!
Thats when "we" aren't controlling the banks, the media and the entertainment industry. :lol:
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

twentysixdollars wrote: Atheists and agnostics are entitled to wrestle with religion. Particularly in the west; by virtue of a largely observant-Christian establishment, what you end up with is a handful of generations who feel that they need to undergo a 'spiritual crisis' to lose their faith, rather than (as I did) simply, quietly and without remorse, abandon it. If consciousness of a void is culturally instilled it's hard not to feel it's there. I think one of the few admirable features of Amazing Grace is its outright agnosticism, despite its almost programmatic deployment of religious metaphor.

wow, great point. I've always thought it was also a big fuck you to religion and Jesus as an icon in general BECAUSE he uses it so much that he takes the piety from the word. People like my mom would certainly be quite offended by his use of Jesus. She'd cringe at every mention. lol

It's kinda like Dave Chappelle and the use of the N word. I've always seen religion as a form of oppression, war, and death.

But maybe it's too early in the morning for me to get all theoretical.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

spzretent wrote: From my experience England is much more rooted in religion than people here in the US. Not that that makes people more religious per se but its part of the fabric of everyday life more than here in the US.
hahaha, you haven't been to East LA. I don't know about the south these days but when I was traveling thru the south in the early 90s.. it was pretty scary.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have been to the South. The Bible Belt. Its seems to me there are a lot more religious zealots in the US.
Just like the Right To Lifer's on the extreme end of the spectrum. I dont care which side of the fence someone falls on when it come to Pro Choice or Right To Life. But when you are standing on the side of a major highway as fans are waiting to park for an NBA Finals game with 2 sided 24 x 36 posters of partial birth abortions I think thats crosses the line big time. And there were about 10 of them. They look like zombies with that glazed look. I fell sorry for them.
I've been to some big events in the UK and never witnessed anything like that.
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

does that mean you came down to San Antonio or was this in Detroit?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

er...Jesus. Thats pretty fucked up.

I think the lyrics are almost deliberately blank, they say very little yet can mean so much...or is that the other way round.

26$, I think of the line "...cause Hell is not below us nor Heaven above" - a brutally disconsoling lyric yet with really uplifting music - which is the tune of Amazing Grace. Heavy.

Also like the layering of similar lyrics through Let It Come Down - and I love the line "life ain't good without cigarettes" - just because of what he dosen't say.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jess farr wrote:does that mean you came down to San Antonio or was this in Detroit?
I was in Detroit for game 3. No way I was travelling to San Antonio given every expert picked them.
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

well, I asked cause that sounded like a Texas scene, but I guess those folks are everywhere.
it was a great series though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It was a great series. Right down to the last half of the last quarter of game 7.
But why the hell does Right To Life have to upset people just going to a sporting event. Bza is right....its really fucked up.
They just try and ram their agenda down everyones throat.
Creepy motherfuckers.
I did roll my window down ansk them if they had any extra tickets. Just got a blank stare back. Big surprise.
twentysixdollars
Known user

I think everybody in America - 'liberals' and 'conservatives' all - ought to see Todd Solondz's new movie, Palindromes. Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Say this Spzretent - by a slim majority, we do run the Spiritualized messageboard.
float1ng1nspace
Known user

Post by float1ng1nspace »

Trying to turn things back on topic...Have Spiritualized gone downhill since Jason stopped feeling so passionately about Kate Radley...I personally think that Pierce's lyrics have been cohesive from LGM to AG. Sonically, with AG, they obviously regressed from the bombastic orchestration of L&G... and LICD to the 1960s psychedelic/garage rock sound that Spacemen 3 utilized. Now, whether or not that has signaled a downward turn in the quality of music is up to each individual listener. I personally enjoy both styles. But saying that Kate Radley, or rather Pierce's feelings towards her, was the catalyst for such change seems to me like a misdirected opinion. If anything, with the recording of L&G, the band reached their musical glass ceiling. Similarly to Radiohead and OK Computer. Unfortunetely, in my opinion, Spiritualized didn't smash through the ceiling and make their Kid A. Instead they made LICD, which sounds unbelievable if you've never heard L&G, but in reality it just treads on the path already taken. I enjoy AG & LICD, but if I had to choose, I'd put in Perfect Perscription or L&G over either of those. But regardless, I'm very excited that Jason & Co. are back in the studio and I have a new collection of Spiritualized songs to look forward to.
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

twentysixdollars wrote:I think everybody in America - 'liberals' and 'conservatives' all - ought to see Todd Solondz's new movie, Palindromes. Jesus. Fucking. Christ.
I was told that Palindromes wasnt that good. I personally was let down by Storytelling.
Last edited by Clownbait on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Clownbait wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote: I was told that Palindromes wasnt that good. I personally was quite let down by Storytelling.
Thing is, Palindromes is complete where Storytelling was merely provocative. Palindromes is too - more so, actually - but its central disquiet comes from narrative more than it does from social context. I'm actually not really a fan of Solondz's but any film that opens with a videotaped funeral of Dawn from Welcome to the Dollhouse can't be all bad.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

When I saw it I thought Dammit Im mad
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
james948
Known user

Post by james948 »

floatinginspace,

i can see where you're coming from. The reason I bring up Kate Radley is that part of what made L&G so good, i thought, was its brutal yearning; lyrics that really astounded me with their honesty. actually it's funny you should bring up Radiohead because they're another band who, I think, stopped meaning as much to me when they stopped talking about love. Radiohead are all about politics now; not being politicians this is something they understand very little about. Love, however, is something they understood a lot about. Same with Spiritualized. Now that he's got no one to pine for he's somehow lost some of that intensity which made him brilliant.

Kate Radley is just a way of explaining this.

anyone?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

james948 wrote:floatinginspace,

i can see where you're coming from. The reason I bring up Kate Radley is that part of what made L&G so good, i thought, was its brutal yearning; lyrics that really astounded me with their honesty... Kate Radley is just a way of explaining this.
hasnt jason often claimed, or rather rebuked claims that his lyrics are personal. that he is just transcribing as best he can a certain emotion from a neutral standpoint? while i have trouble believing this completely as he seems able to fake it so perfectly, it would certainly put paid to this theory.

and on a side note, about radiohead. i think it started going downhill for them when they stopped trying to be the biggest band in the world. when they lost their ambition in that respect, they lost what made them a decent rock band.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

imho, Radiohead started going downhill when they stopped being a rock band. Their debut album, and to a certain extent the following two (as well as the b-sides and detritus that came along with them) was great (if a little grungy at times) rock music. Now they just seem to be being experimental for the sake of it, and political because they feel they have to.

I'll be impressed with the modern-day Radiohead when they take a stand against EMI and speak out against copy control technology.
g4tch
Known user

Post by g4tch »

lets be like coldplay and shithead martin
appear on telly saying its bad that we have all this money and africa has none, then marry a hollywood superstar, who signs a deal with a huge cosmetics firm and gets paid millions upon millions, re-record our albums over again (with more or less the same lyrics/tunes) and fuck off witn bono in his big flash car to his big flash hotel and count the cash

thats why radiohead are not the biggest band in the world

what the fuck happen to good old fashion rock stars, shagging groupies with fish and mars bars and snorting coke of the roof of the tour bus while driving down the fast lane?

never mind, saint bono will save our souls
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ash wrote:imho, Radiohead started going downhill when they stopped being a rock band. Their debut album, and to a certain extent the following two (as well as the b-sides and detritus that came along with them) was great (if a little grungy at times) rock music. Now they just seem to be being experimental for the sake of it, and political because they feel they have to.

I'll be impressed with the modern-day Radiohead when they take a stand against EMI and speak out against copy control technology.
i think this is a rather petty approach to the band - though i do agree with the sentiment to some extent that the band should make more use of their power than they do - in that they should focus their brands power on the problems of the music industry rather than against george bush or the like as it would be much more effective.

concerning the remarks made about pablo honey being a great record, im slightly baffled. its not an awful album (though, actuall a convincing case could easily be made) but its certainly by no means a classic. yes, creep and blowout are tasty still, but its far too mundane.
and to extend the side note, though it has been praised beyond its means in terms of it being a groundbreaking release, i still would be loathe to harm a hair on kid as pretty little head. it is a revolutionary record but rather a mainstream band bringing light to an ever emerging alternative scene that has been around for many a year. amnesiac was awful though (bar 4 songs, of which all rank alongside the bands finest moments), and their weakest release.
httt was bogged down by its overbearing production, but is a solid, if unspectacular and distincly average, rock record.

they'll never top ok computer (which once again is wildly over praised by the music 'industry' (for lack of a better term)).
float1ng1nspace
Known user

Post by float1ng1nspace »

a quick bit re: radiohead - I guess its all opinion, but I feel they did what they had to do to remain a band. You write about what you feel strongly about, and yes a lot of their earlier stuff dealt with 'love' (although whether or not they still do depends on your definition), and now they are more political, but whats wrong with that if thats what the artist feels strongly about? I mean, I can't think of a more relevant time (outside of the mid 60s, early 70s) for artists to get political than now. And musically, if they would have stuck with The Bends/OK Computer era sound, by now they would either be irrelevantly redundant, despised similarly as other "big" bands mentioned above, or disbanded. And on a side note, the last I heard was that they are either done (or have 1 album left) on their EMI contract and have been talking about going independent or doing net releases or whatever.

But back to the whole Spiritualized/Kate Radley thing. I think its a chicken/egg thing. I mean, does L&G seem more authentic sounding because of the stories we've heard or is it just genuinely a better album? People can be voyeristic at times and when stories like this come out, it (perhaps unjustly) effects the perception of the music. Whether it be sex (Fleetwood Mac - Rumors), drugs (Brian Wilson - Smile) or tragedy (unforunetely too many come to mind), it gives the listener a backstory that makes the music relatable. I tend to believe that L&G is a great album because the time was right and Jason and co. had it in them to make a great album. Whether about Kate Radley, his dead goldfish, or no one at all, Jason will always have my eyes water while listening to songs like Broken Heart. Moral of the story - if its good, its good. I dont think Jason needs chaotic social life or substance problem to be inspired to make good music. Its one of those glamorized myths of r'nr that have cost too many people's lives and sanity.

And finally, I'd like to send my best wishes to jason and his family. Hopefully you can achieve a full recovery so my selfish ass can hear that new album(hell, when Dylan almost died he got a grammy for Time Out Of Mind, imagine the possibilities!)