Blur- Spiritualized

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Alexei_K
Known user

Blur- Spiritualized

Post by Alexei_K »

I have just heard Blur for the first time (I know they are popular English band but in Russia they are not too easy to listen for) and someone told me that a few of their songs sound similar to Spiritualized, very gospel and unique. But I hear not of this! Infact, I think Blur sounds like Piper at the Gates of Dawn or certain Syd Barrett songs more than Spiritualized. Have I perhaps but the wrong albums? The records I purchased were Parklife and The Great Escape. Anyway, thanks. Apologize for any bad English.

Alexei
Ian

Post by Ian »

There is not much that connects the two bands. There is a Blur single called Tender (on the album Thirteen) which uses the same choir that Spiritualized were using at around the same time, and some say it sounds a bit like Spz, but it doesn't really.

There's quite a lot of variation over the course of Blur's albums. If you like Parklife, Modern Life Is Rubbish is worth a go (I think it's their best). Blur (self titled album) and Thirteen are more lo-fi and experimental.

Blur aren't exactly the band of choice around these parts, so you'll probably get a few people telling you how awful they are. But as they will be wrong, you can happily ignore them!

Love,

Ian
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Ian wrote:Blur aren't exactly the band of choice around these parts, so you'll probably get a few people telling you how awful they are. But as they will be wrong, you can happily ignore them!
Seconded. I think they tread a happy path, being at the same time quite experimental and very very popular. People criticise them for changing their 'style' every album... these people like Oasis, who made essentially the same album every two years.

I can't say I'm fond of the last album though (note to Alexei: the guitarist left - he was the best one. And don't apologise - your English seems fine).
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I actually liked Think Tank more than there other stuff. Half of the songs were pretty good. For Blur that's as good as you get!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Nice to see a little support for Blur. Modern Life is also my favorite.

By the way, does anyone have the new Supergrass album, Road to Rouen? It leaked, but I've only managed to find two of the songs and they're both very good.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ahhhhhh i can't stand it no more, stop all this madness, they had a few decent tunes. nothing more. the only connection they have to spiritualized is the one listed above about the choir. THATS ALL!!!!!

now stop it.

xxxshonnxxx
apesgrapes
Known user

Post by apesgrapes »

always thought they were derivitives of the cardiacs, which isnt a bad thing i suppose.
Paddy
Known user

Post by Paddy »

I hear absolutely no connection between Blur and Spiritualized, save for Tender but thats only because of the choir. And besides, were Tender a Spiritualized track it would probably be found on Amazing Grace, next to Lord Let it Rain on Me.
On the flip side, Blur aren't all that bad (relatively speaking) and if you hear shades of early Pink Floyd, then that probably has a quite a bit to do with Graham Coxon's idoltry of Syd Barrett (early Floydian, madcap and acid casualty).
Personally, I like 13 and Modern Life is Rubbish best.
DTL
Known user

Post by DTL »

Relatively speaking Blur aren't that bad???

Only if they're stood next to Saddam Hussein (and even then, if he's got his white duds on) I'd probably take out the Albarn first.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I must have missed the news when Damon Albarn gassed the Kurds, and then invaded Kuwait, and kept his population in penury whilst pursuing pointless weapons programmes, executed thousands of dissidents and held power over an entire country for 30 years through a combination of terror, corruption, opression, rigged elections, the support of Western 'democracy' and terror (again).

You clot. (opinion)
DTL
Known user

Post by DTL »

No but what about:

He'd well get a good crack round the chops.

And seeing as you took it literally then you may need psychiatric help. I mean because of the tight security around SH at the moment it's quite hard to get Blur, me and a gun clearance to go visiting him. And Blur are busy writing a new album on a Fisher Price keyboard anyway...

You GOON!
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

DTL wrote:...seeing as you took it literally then you may need psychiatric help...
I assume your prescription of psychiatric help should be taken... figuratively then?

Oh, and fuck off.
telepathist
Known user

Now now..

Post by telepathist »

Oh dear oh dear...

Now im up for a bit of piss-takey banter as much as the next agitatory buffoon, but please put your handbags down and give one-another a nice big kiss :lol:
DTL
Known user

Post by DTL »

X