The Cramps?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Swede
Known user

The Cramps?

Post by Swede »

I've noticed that Jason Pierce often cites a group called the Cramps as one of his inspirations- I've never heard of this band before. Are they worth purchasing for someone without a great deal of income (CDs in Sweden are far from affordable these days!). I am going to assume that they are an American band since most of Spiritualized's references seem to be American. Is there an album I should begin with? Any information on the Cramps would be nice. I don't know if I *should* have heard of them, but until recently, sadly I had not. Thank you!
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

They're OK, but honestly, I think you'll find most of the rest of Jason's battery of influences more enjoyable. I think Runcie will probably stand up for them (by the way, detailed BJM->JAMC geneology coming soon, Runcible) but I argue that they don't sound too different from the Elevators, for example, and don't have the same high-pitched popwise lunacy, and came a lot later (and were even produced by The Guy Who Sang "The Letter" And Had That Seventies Jangle-Pop Group That Everyone Loves And I Don't Get.) Your mention of limited income pretty much leads me to write them off; they're sort of interesting but they shouldn't be anyone's priority over some of Jason's earlier, more earnest catalysts.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hey swede, TOTALLY DISREGARD WHAT $26 POSTED!!!!

the cramps are brilliant. kinda like the ramones, they stuck to a certain sound and went for it. and their live shows are simply awesome.

if your curious and can find "good music for bad people" thats one of their best.

they are one of the great remains from the punk era, it sickens me to hear somebody try and write them off.

xxxshonnxxx
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

Sorta like Shonn said, pick up "Bad Music For Bad People" or go straight to the source and get the "Gravest Hits/Psychedelic Jungle" CD. "Songs The Lord Taught Us" is also good. Everything else is redundant, but if you're into em, you'll dig it.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Cramps live experience is like nothing else...or so i'm told. Try the compilation "Off The Bone" (Zonophone/EMI) which is a great selection of tunes from 'Human Fly' to 'Drugtrain'.

Lux Interior's semi-legendary radio sessions are meant to be awesome too.
spcmn mthr fckr
Known user

Post by spcmn mthr fckr »

for me, for a while The Cramps have been a band i've read and heard about but hadn't actually heard owt by em. anyway, i downloaded some songs before, "Bend Over, I'll Drive", "You Give Me Fever", "96 Tears" and "Can Your Pussy Do The Dog" I quite like what i've heard so far. im definitely glad that i checked em out, Swede, if that helps.
porkchop
Known user

the cramps

Post by porkchop »

the cramps are amazing!! pete was into the sounds that early guitarist bryan gregory was making(cause he didn't know how to play), droning tremeloed fuzz. but they are much more than that. definatly get "songs the lord taught us" and "a date with elvis". they coined the term psychobilly. hope it helps.
don't delay!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I wasn't ever really much of a Cramps fan but liked the idea of what they were doing quite a lot. Plus they looked so strange.

Pete and Jason were massively influenced by them - the early Spacemen line ups lacked a bass player just as the Cramps did and the unmistakeable swamp rock style is very apparent in the stuff they did before Sound of Confusion.

And what I will tell you is on the forthcoming CD-R set Pete is doing the intention is to include some very early unreleased Spacemen songs that are incredibly Cramps-ish in style.
machineryelf
Known user

Post by machineryelf »

'Off The Bone' is the place to start, it's available cheap here in England, i got a replacement for my vinyl copy for 4.99, didn't have the 3D cover tho.After that 'Psychadelic Jungle' and 'Songs The Lord Taught Us' if you really like 'Off The Bone' after that it's like The Ramones not a lot of Difference but still magnificent.Probably best toavoid the glut of bad live lps that seem to haunt them, mostly badly recorded rippoffs with the exception of 'Live @ the Peppermint Lounge'
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I think the nearest that J has got to the Cramps sound is on the evening Session version of On Fire. Full on twanging tremelo guitars. Sounds like Tav Falco, really raw. Check it out its magic
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

$26, you dont dig the big star ?
Whats not to like ( bar extra tracks on reissued 3rd )
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

Whats not to like ( bar extra tracks on reissued 3rd )
ha ha, interesting line to draw there. if you read the big star book that came out a while ago you get some good stories about a few of the bonus tracks on the ryko reissue. on nature boy, there's a point, a little while after two minutes through if memory serves, where you can hear the crutches jim dickinson was using to get around, and had propped up aside his piano, fall on to the floor a little, and then you hear a smile creeping into alex's voice ... it's quite lovely once you know what's going on.

as for downs, which i guess is the most inexplicable one on the release, apparently the group were playing it at ardent when a record company executive came in and started saying, hey, this song, i can see some real commercial potential in it, it could be a hit yadda yadda yadda ... alex wasn't overly impressed so the first thing he said was, right ... i want to use a basketball for the snare drum.

i can see the slick-seventies-rock/boston complaints levelled at big star, they're still great though.
superfuzzbigmuff
New user

Post by superfuzzbigmuff »

Big Star Rock! Radio City is one of the best LP's ever made fact! Sad to think it wasn't recognised for years. That book was a good read man i must admit.
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

I'd regard my Cramps and Spiritualized fixations to be exclusive from one another, but I reckon it's fair to say that Jason Pierce's Cramps influences were more evident in the fuzz-drenched days of early Spacemen 3 than in anything he's done post-S3. I'm not complaining, mind.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

I don't dislike Big Star, but I tend to class them as overrated. I like Radio City a lot.
owl
Known user

Post by owl »

As well as sond the Lord taught us, their are 3 compilation cds called 'song the cramps taught us'. These are great compilations containing lots of garage psyche and rockabilly that the cramps either covered or ripped off. Well worth checking out.
mcclept
New user

elvis

Post by mcclept »

think of Elvis stuck in a bad fifties B-movie about a group of rebel acid head bikers from outer space that tie Elvis up and fuck his mom, Elvis likes it, changes his tune and becomes a demented version of the star instead of a bluesman or King of whatever.

a starting point that lets you know exactly what they are about
rockinnreelininauclandnewzealand
a live document in thier prime
art is part of party
caleb svetlana
New user

Post by caleb svetlana »

Clownbait wrote:Sorta like Shonn said, pick up "Bad Music For Bad People" or go straight to the source and get the "Gravest Hits/Psychedelic Jungle" CD. "Songs The Lord Taught Us" is also good. Everything else is redundant, but if you're into em, you'll dig it.
Sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but I just joined.

What Clownbait said.

These three records are essential. This band was amazing, sludgy, ugly psychobilly-ey goodness at its finest.