Outpatients

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ben crook
Known user

Outpatients

Post by ben crook »

Afternoon,
One of the next changes to the website will be this forum, (or as we call it "Outpatients"). The content and moderating is great, but we need to know what you think of the structure and software...

What are your opinions on the forum as it is now?
Should we keep the different threads (Music, Gigs, Other, Spacemen)?
Do you find it easy / impossible to navigate?
Any other forums you'd recommend?

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the site so far, and Jason asked me to say "thank you" for all the get-well wishing.

Ben
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ben:
What about a for sale/trade forum? I think there are loads of people perusing this message board looking for older rare stuff or live shows(grey area I know) but not wanting to get ripped off a la eBay or the like.
As moderators we usually delete messages posted for the explicit reason of selling. But I think a forum dedicated to that would be a good thing.
Alan
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

What about a thread about me. You can discuss my favourite colour or maybe my favourite records. What I like for supper. You know all that kind of thing. You might need a bigger server.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

I think the 4 'live'catagories we have at the moment are sufficient. Too many websites lose their way by constantly adding rarely-used catagories.
That said, 'trading post' and the 'What Orbital eats for breakfast' are strong contenders.

I'd rather see 'Candid Spacemen photo forum' though. Something with captions like,
"Jason and Juliette in B&Q pondering which gazebo to buy"
or
"Here's Sonic in Dixons buying a pack of CD Rewriteables'
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

it would be nice to see some more stuff of spiritualized through the ages i guess. any old videos from previous line ups that are tucked away, or maybe old photos. some historical stuff in short, its very rare to see a spiritualized photo of any other then the most recent lineup
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

"Here's Sonic in Dixons buying a pack of CD Rewriteables'
Hehehehe.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Was the original aim that the 'Music' forum just be about Spiritualized's music? I'd vote for two Music forums - one for topics directly related to Spiritualized, and one for 'Other' music.

It's nice to hear about other music/bands, but sometimes I want to quickly identify and read only Spiritualized-related postings. It's a little difficult to do that, at the moment, in the 'Music' forum.
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

Jebus Sabes wrote:Was the original aim that the 'Music' forum just be about Spiritualized's music? I'd vote for two Music forums - one for topics directly related to Spiritualized, and one for 'Other' music.

It's nice to hear about other music/bands, but sometimes I want to quickly identify and read only Spiritualized-related postings. It's a little difficult to do that, at the moment, in the 'Music' forum.
I'll second this.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Breeze wrote:I think the 4 'live'catagories we have at the moment are sufficient. Too many websites lose their way by constantly adding rarely-used catagories.
Yes....yes, The Breeze.

Although 'Orbie's Family Planning Clinic' would be fantastic
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i'm not so sure about this ... i think the majority of musical posts tend to be at least in passing a touch spiritualized-centric, or tailored to suit us lot ... the more left field stuff gets consigned to the 'other' forum. i think a spiritualized forum would be rather sparse and a musical forum the most active, with the opportunity of combined debate lost ... sorry if that's a rather long winded reading of it all but it's alright as it is, i think ...

for general improvements, i think post counts are usually a bad idea although they haven't seemed to impose any sort of aggressive anti newbie hierarchy here ... that's it, really. i wouldn't mind the ability to change username ..?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i think a Musuc- Spriritualized specific forum is a bad idea. I think ANS is correct in that most music post's are somewhat Spiritualized related.

I have no problem w/post count. It would give a "newbie" some frame of reference if someone eithers flames them or defends them.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Katya_the_Hunter
New user

Post by Katya_the_Hunter »

I agree with anorthernsoul and spzretent. I love the unspecificity of this forum... the amount that I've learned and the recommendations of bits of music that I would otherwise have never heard from some of the more peripherial post is incredible. I highly doubt that I would even bother reading anything non-Spiritualized related if the forums were divided, just from a sheer lack of motivation. With a general forum like this one, I'll read it because it's there and it's convinent. A selfish reason, but I'd hate to see this forum become divided.

Katya
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

heh, yeh, it's o k really ... i felt a little cheeky chipping in with my three hundred ... it doesn't apply here but i know of a few forums where a postcount of less than a hundred'll usually just mean that questions or topics won't be responded to. it's nicer, here, though. long live post counts.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

anorthernsoul wrote:
for general improvements, i think post counts are usually a bad idea although they haven't seemed to impose any sort of aggressive anti newbie hierarchy here..?
Good to know if an idiot has just arrived to sell shit. There've been plenty.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Ladies and gentlemen: as you were.

If it ain't broke, etc, etc...

(although a trading section would be rather nice....)
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

I want the old blue one back!

or at least less white.. this outpatient gets depressed by too much white.

happycolourtherapyplease?
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

These BBForum setups actually have the ability for the user to choose what they want the forums to look like, although this particular one only has the one option (it's down the bottom of the 'Profile' section - "Board Style") to choose from. Maybe a few more options could be added so that people could pick and choose how they want it to look?

But yeah, I agree - bring back those nice blues.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

I think the four forums should stay as-is. Delineating between discussions of 'music' and 'Jason's music' would rob the conversation of the discursive qualities most of us here regard as a virtue. Furthermore, "Music" is where most people come first, and splitting it in two would lessen its authority and perhaps precipitate an unnecessary profusion of Board Rules posts.

I also prefer this new format to the old blue-on-blue one, but I find the ability of anonymous 'guest's to post in Other frustrating, not merely because I often forget to log on.

I also think that all moderators should be able to moderate all forums, but that's just me.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Ben, any plans with the video you shot in Newcastle, Sage Gateshead?
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

Since Jase is on the mend, as you brits would say, I suggest he get his own advice forum. I need tips! Not only do I wonder what kind of strings Mr. Pierce uses but I'd like some advice on dealing with stage fright and if so, how many grams. tehe.. I also want to know how the album is going.. Give us an update, old man! Preferrably on video!