vanishing point vinyl

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

stimey
Known user

vanishing point vinyl

Post by stimey »

as a man with record-friends that have other tastes, i'm the first person i know with a 2 lp vanishing point. the label clearly reads 33 but unless Bobbie's nuts dropped for a moment before receding, it plays correct at 45rpm. all 4 sides. is this some anomaly or is the label incorrect on all pressings? or is there a joke at my expense?

consequently, the instrumental bits sounded like echo dek, which i also own on lp but not 7" boxed, and made me start to wonder.

anyone know anything?
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

ahh, i've got a copy of vanishing point on two lp, it's just irresistable, really, isn't it? a friend picked up one for seven or eight pounds a while back.

i think a magazine advert advertised the vinyl as being playable at 45 'for higher fidelity'; i don't understand and don't have the will to involve myself in vinyl revolution debates, but it sounds fantastic; i didn't know it said thirty three on the sleeve ... it's as good a sounding record as i own, though, regardless.

what'd you think of the echo dek box? i'm a little reluctant to ever splash out on it just because echo dek's one that you want to sit down and sink into, rather than something you have to flip every song. there's a 12" promo with the whole lp on, i think i'd rather have that ... i bet side two's a treat ...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I've got that 7" Echo Dek box. It's cool, but definitely a bit of a pain to listen to all the way through. Nevertheless, it's a nice item to have. I bought it when it was first released. Has it grown in value?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

i got the promo 12", It is good but it just makes you want to put on Vanishing point and hear the originals.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

yeah yeah yeah that echo dek 7" box set is a treat, got it for just a few bucks awhile back.

hey stimey, why don't you send me that vinyl set, i'll check it out for you and make sure it's all right to listen to. :wink:

what a trip, the whole band was over last nite firing a few spliffs and listening to echo dek, always a good time.

xxxshonnxxx
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

a beautiful noise wrote:

hey stimey, why don't you send me that vinyl set, i'll check it out for you and make sure it's all right to listen to. :wink:

xxxshonnxxx

but then i couldn't listen for the 8th day going...

mine says 33rpm on the print side of both labels, but nowhere on the sleeves or jacket. i haven't gone completely OC yet and gotten out the stop watch to check track times vs. the cd, but in a moment of questionable clarity am likely to. i'm not ruling out table malfunction on some level either, cause there was some pitch correction involved.

i have the echo 12", and have kept an eye out for the 7" box for a while, never making the last minute ebay surge. seems like the last one i saw went for around $25-30. seems too labour intensive for my taste, but, like many things, i'd still pick it up. the 12" sounds great. i'm glad to have it. was it a promo-only? mine says pre-release.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i don't think there was any sort of official release, and i've never got close to one, only caught one on ebay. i'd rather have the twelve than the set, attractive though the labels are ...

i don't really put echo dek on that much, and i think i prefer the secnod half to the first ... vanishing point's enough to me, putting the whole thing on (lazily on cd, sometimes) is great. there's a few points in scream albums where it's rewarding to start them half way through the end ... damaged, i'm coming down, higher than the sun part two and shine like stars is a side-and-a-bit of screamadelica. the first side of evil heat on vinyl's got the tracklisting swapped around a bit, so it's deep hit, miss lucifer and detroit. crazy.
a beautiful noise
Known user

bad, BAD monkey!

screamadelica should be listened to from start to finish, and i know you know that!

now thats off my chest, a question for ya, did they re-release vanishing point on vinyl?? i have the screamadelica re-issue. but thats all i have seen so far from the primals.

jesus, you people are way too fucking lazy, i love to listen to 7"s, i sit in front of the turntable, legs folded indian style, and pop one after another on. it's brilliant, if you don't know how to do this, come on over and i'll show yous how!!

xxxshonnxxx
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

please don't confuse my inebriation with my laziness. very individual states. i like to get in the mood for things like scream records, and that sometimes impairs my ability to safely operate vinyl recordings. handling many small sides frightens me more than one big one, and distracts me from the joy of listening. sometimes, when i really don't trust myself, i go digital. purely for safety, i assure you.

and besides, would a lazy man use all that effort to defend his laziness? :)

and i don't think anything but screamadelica has been reissued. yet.
a beautiful noise
Known user

i like this stimey guy/gal!!

that's right, scream albums you need to prepare yourself for listening.

hey stimey, since you seem to be a good fan of the scream, do you want a copy of the remixxes from screamadelica???

it's yours if you do.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s- northern, did i get you a copy of that???
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

still a guy. i think.

and yes to the scream remixed by anyone anytime, abn. my collection is 99% stock so far, albeit slightly obsessive (that wake lp and 12" which i lost in a breakup and never thought i'd find again)(but did, thank you ebay), so i'd be shit-giddy with anything off the path.

i'll start checking my pm's.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

oh good god, no shonn! you dont mean this, do you?

http://www.primalscreamremixed.com/

i begrudge even putting that link up, i thought it was so bad...please say you mean something else!? you're frightening me.

*warning to anyone who hasn't heard this, i actually wish i hadn't listened to it. it's honestly the first time i've felt like an hour spent listening to music was an hour of my life wasted!
dave_sherwood
New user

Post by dave_sherwood »

u_nderscore wrote:oh good god, no shonn! you dont mean this, do you?

http://www.primalscreamremixed.com/

i begrudge even putting that link up, i thought it was so bad...please say you mean something else!? you're frightening me.

*warning to anyone who hasn't heard this, i actually wish i hadn't listened to it. it's honestly the first time i've felt like an hour spent listening to music was an hour of my life wasted!
i didn't think it was that bad, certainly the movin on up and damaged mixes
were no worse than some official mixes (eg kris needs').most of the others were "interesting" if not entirely successful, but i could have done without the appearance of jamiroqui (sp?) on dont fight it feel it!
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

really? fair enough. perhaps i was a little melodramatic but i just didn't get anything from it. it just made me sad.

fair play if you didn't dislike it, but i have to disagree about kris needs mixes. i think those screamixadelic ones are much worse than anything he's done.
a beautiful noise
Known user

ahhhhhhhhh fucking busted!

thats the one, though in all honesty i did not know who did the remixes. it came as a bootleg.

c'mon chris, some of those mixes were pretty damn good. i'm gonna "properly prepare" myself for a sit down with that album today.

if it's as bad as your saying chris, i'll hang my head in shame!

xxxshonnxxx
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

:lol:

aah, it's just my opinion, i honestly thought they were atrocious, but like everything musical, it's all down to taste isn't it...no offence meant to anybody...if you dig 'em, i'm glad =)

i dunno, maybe it's because its screamadelica, it just doesn't need touching does it? like i say though, it just didn't work for me...i tried to be fair when i sat down to listen to it, got nicely prepared - the lot! but, nah...not for me. i just got the impression a lot of them weren't true remixes, more like someone slipping a few scream samples into one of their own (bad) tunes with very little consideration for the songs original soul. it's no 'echo dek' that's for sure. but hey, i don't like to slag stuff off, so forget what i've said and judge for yourself. no need for any head-hanging! =)

xxx_xxx
:wink:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Weird....who did those remixes?

'Go home productions' were surely responsible for that pish poor Spacemen 3/Beach Boys bootleg [why you bastards WHY?]

What about the 'official' remixes, the quality has varied over the years... anything by Wetherall usually hits the spot (2 Lone Swordmen's versions of 'Kill all Hippies' were excellent, the Wetherall version of 'Don't Fight It...' was superb too)

There was also this fabled 'American Spring' mix of 'Higher Than The Sun' that was indeed deep down.

I also heard the Jimmy Miller mix of 'Rocks'... sounds like a Faces tribute.

A bad tribute.

Maybe that was the point.....
:lol:
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

ah, that reminds me! been meaning to mention this on here for ages. has anybody heard the VU/christina aguilera mix that go home productions did? i know some will weep with despair at this...

http://www.gohomeproductions.co.uk/audi ... oodbye.mp3

i think it's great. except when the communards bit creeps in towards the end. the way the first two tracks fit together though, it's incredible!
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

The American Spring Mix is on the import 'maxi-single' from the USA. I still prefer the Orb's version. It's a classic. Music from space.
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

u_nderscore wrote:ah, that reminds me! been meaning to mention this on here for ages. has anybody heard the VU/christina aguilera mix that go home productions did? i know some will weep with despair at this...

http://www.gohomeproductions.co.uk/audi ... oodbye.mp3

i think it's great. except when the communards bit creeps in towards the end. the way the first two tracks fit together though, it's incredible!

i certainly wasn't prepared to agree, but...

absolutely unapproachable without an "open" mind, and still frighteningly uncanny. i think i'm gonna listen to it a 3rd time now.

is there a story behind this? i'd love to know. was there any statement from lou?
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

The VU/christina aguilera mix is one of those unofficial bootleg mash-ups - two (or more) songs overlayed/mixed, and hopefully still sounding tuneful. There's more here:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

wow, theres a lot there.

while you're at it, lets not forget 'Wouldn't it be ecstacy?'.. I love this track.

Spacemen 3 vs the Beach Boys

http://www.kuci.uci.edu/~brianm/lancelo ... _page.html
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

if i had a job, i'd quit it. whatever plans i had for the week have now been cancelled.

:shock: & :?