Sigur Ros in prog rock Mojo

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ash
Known user

Sigur Ros in prog rock Mojo

Post by ash »

For some weird reason, Sigur Ros are classed as "neo-prog rock" in the latest Mojo collector's edition, and even manage to score the #27 album in the "40 cosmic rock albums" list (one of only a handful of albums recorded after 1980 - unfortunately LGM or Pure Phase don't get a nod...)

Here's a notable excerpt from the entry:

"The singer admitted the band's initial influences were Spiritualized and early Verve, but Agaetis Byrjun added orchestral breadth (think Gorecki) and jazzy flourishes (think David Axelrod), while Birgisson's favoured guitar technique involved drawing a cello bow over the strings a la Jimmy Page."

Very excited about seeing these guys for the first time next week... :)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well, im not a fan but in the purest sense of the word i have to admit that sigur rós are prog(gressive) rock. and even though they have their merits, theyre not a million miles removed from the hideous farts such as yes for their predilections for the evil side of pretention.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I love 'em, and have done ever since ordering Agaetis Byrjun direct from Iceland before it ws released in the UK.

Their fabled gig at the Union Chapel is right up there among my all-time favourites, and they were utterly spellbinding at Somerset House recently.

You're in for a treat!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Mmm, i saw them a couple of weeks back in Glasgow. The new songs were excellent. There was one that sounded distinctly Electric Mainline-esque. Really looking forwards to the new album.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

sigurs are fantastic! i hope to catch them live this autumn once again, i have seen them with string quartet and it's needless to say it was unearthly beautiful.

their homepage is full of extra stuff, nice beginning would be from here:

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/band/trivia.html

one of those bands that are so moody and impressive that makes you re-think about everything. can't wait to hear their new stuff, just can't and that means yes i can can can.
Adovadotchka
Known user

Post by Adovadotchka »

Sometimes I like to think that Sigur Ros sound a little bit like what aurora borealis would sound like if they made noise, and it makes me want to go to Iceland. And I don't care if that makes sense or not.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Of course Sigur Ros are prog rock. They're neo-prog in the same sense that Radiohead are neo-prog, which is to say they're every bit as empty-headed and histrionic as Jethro Tull - they just can't play their instruments.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

twentysixdollars wrote:they're every bit as empty-headed and histrionic as Jethro Tull - they just can't play their instruments.
By and large I agree with your sage writings, $26, however this time I have to disagree. Let's have an explanation (and maybe some examples) as to why you think they can't play their instruments. Sure, they're no nascent virtuosos, but the three studio albums released so far show a more than adequate musicianship, whether you like their style of music or not.

I happen to think that what they're doing exhibits a lot of similarities to early spz, which is why I'm surprised that they have their detractors in these circles...
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

twentysixdollars wrote:Of course Sigur Ros are prog rock. They're neo-prog in the same sense that Radiohead are neo-prog, which is to say they're every bit as empty-headed and histrionic as Jethro Tull - they just can't play their instruments.

Yawn.....
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I dig all of their albums. I was thrilled by their live performance in Detroit a few years back. And, I just received my tickets in the post for the now sold out September 20th show in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Live, they are phenominal. Go see em kids . . .
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ohhhhh i'm so excited, i get to see them for the first time in a few weeks.

we used to rehearse in the same studios as jimmy lavelle (album leaf) and he was telling us that they were absolute masters at creating space. this is coming from someone who for me is another brilliant musician, classically trained ta boot $26.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s- $26- your'e such a nasty little troll, would it fucking kill you to say something positive about a band (besides the byrds) that more than 5 people know about. it's o.k. to like bands that everybody else does. :D
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

I thought Clint Eastwood was magnificent in "Magnum Force"
A real tour de force, that
Last edited by Juzba on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

On a more serious note, I must check out their debut and the next one cos of that Spz and early Verve remark. I used to like Agaetis Byrjun, but I think nowadays it's a little too pomp for me, too much like an airline commercial. In fact, Icelandair used the beginning of the second track on that album for one of their ads.
Last edited by Juzba on Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

twentysixdollars wrote:Of course Sigur Ros are prog rock. They're neo-prog in the same sense that Radiohead are neo-prog, which is to say they're every bit as empty-headed and histrionic as Jethro Tull - they just can't play their instruments.
Ludicrous. What do you want, a Stevie Ray Vaughn solo? There's a reason most music fans (at least the ones I know) don't give a shit about him ... he never wrote any decent songs!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yes, Jethro was a rather poor songwriter. Although my father likes 'Aqualung'. :lol:

BUT wait....the prog/Sigur Ros point is a worthy one, the guy sings in his own made up language... how prog is that?

This also probably means that Scatman John was an early influence too...
Brove
Known user

Post by Brove »

well gutted, mi brother's going to see sigur ros in Australia!
one day you'll be alone with the whole world staring at you
twentysixdollars
Known user

I think pretty much everything I had to say has been confirmed by other posts here; note the art-rock nomenclature - 'airline commercial'; 'made-up language'; 'creating space' - but you must realize that I neither meant to suggest that Sigur Ros are incompetent musicians, nor that I consider technical facility especially important. I was merely indicating that the principal difference between Jethro Tull and Sigur Ros to me is that, compared to Jethro Tull, Sigur Ros can't play their instruments. That doesn't mean that they actually can't play their instruments, it means that they're prog rockers that even prog rock fans would sniff at - just like Pink Floyd.

Believe it or not, I have a Stevie Ray Vaughn album - Live At Carnegie Hall. It's definitely the most boring album in my record collection, which is saying something because I've got both of Richard Ashcroft's solo albums.

As for shonn's moronic insinuation that I only like shit no-one else does, has anyone noticed that it's these indie hypes that I have the most fun eviscerating, and that one of my favorite groups is the Beach Boys?
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Jethro Tull was the cat that used to dress up like Robin Hood?
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

A little off topic, I know, but Ron Burgundy does a fantastic version of Aqualung!!!
a beautiful noise
Known user

ohh it's the beach boys this week huh?

xxxshonnxxx

p/s- it's got nothing to do with 'indie types', my favourite musician is blind willie mactell, but you probably can regurgitate some info as to why somebody else is far superior than him in his genre, go in, puke it up for us.

knob.
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

Blind Willie McTell. Father of Chris De Burgh doppleganger and British muffinfolk singer Ralph McTell. He was Blind as a ex lover cut off his cock and stabbed him in the eye with it.
twentysixdollars
Known user

a beautiful noise wrote: p/s- it's got nothing to do with 'indie types', my favourite musician is blind willie mactell, but you probably can regurgitate some info as to why somebody else is far superior than him in his genre, go in, puke it up for us.
I said "indie hypes", not 'indie types', a sobriquet for which obscure-bluesmen-who-attained-a-recent-groundswell-of-popularity-thanks-to-the-White-Stripes applies. Yeah, I like him, better than Robert Johnson, but less than Lonnie Johnson, or, for that matter, Son House. Or Lead Belly.
a beautiful noise
Known user

mmmmm, don't think all the young white stripes fans are rushing out to buy mctell, son house or leadbelly. more like the von bondies, the kills and david viner. let's be realistic.

it's not like john hurt in the 60's with all the folkie kids giving him a revival.

and if the truth be told, i'm more fascinated with old spirituals. washington phillips seems to take up most of my time.

speaking of leadbelly, apparently (i'm sure if i'm wrong you will download and regurgitate for us) there is only one bit of footage of him. it's absolutely fantastic with him doing 'pick a bale of cotton'. it's on a old blues film i finally got ahold of.

xxxshonnxxx
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

a beautiful noise wrote:ohhhhh i'm so excited, i get to see them for the first time in a few weeks.

we used to rehearse in the same studios as jimmy lavelle (album leaf) and he was telling us that they were absolute masters at creating space. this is coming from someone who for me is another brilliant musician, classically trained ta boot $26.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s- $26- your'e such a nasty little troll, would it fucking kill you to say something positive about a band (besides the byrds) that more than 5 people know about. it's o.k. to like bands that everybody else does. :D
Ah HAA HA HA HA!!!! :lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one! (Oh, how I long for the days when it was OK just to like the way a band sounds...)
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Anyone interested in Sigur Ros really ought to visit this link, quick-ish:
http://fd5000.com/music/Sigur%20Ros%20-%20Takk/
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

ta for the heads up, the new SFA album gets a mention too i see...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the opening tune on love kraft - new sfa record - is quite possibly the best thing they've ever done. tis called zoom, by the by. another wonderful record by them too.
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

speaking of leadbelly, apparently (i'm sure if i'm wrong you will download and regurgitate for us) there is only one bit of footage of him. it's absolutely fantastic with him doing 'pick a bale of cotton'. it's on a old blues film i finally got ahold of.

xxxshonnxxx[/quote]

completely off the sigur ros/prog topic, but there are a series of vhs tapes from the mid 90's (released by Yazoo in the states) that i think are on dvd now that feature blues artists of the 30's-early 50's. the films were studio performances done for public tv in the mid to late 60's and feature folks with little or no other film exposure. i've got several, the best 2 featuring son house and furry lewis. the one with furry has also got a john lee hooker performance. i think i've got 4 or 5 tapes in all, none regrettable.

i can give the specifics if anyone is interested.
cluster
New user

Post by cluster »

jack white wrote:the opening tune on love kraft - new sfa record - is quite possibly the best thing they've ever done. tis called zoom, by the by. another wonderful record by them too.
i completely agree!
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

I'd have to third that but am really loving Hummingbird at the moment - music to drift to.

Not sure what any one else on here thinks (Que backlash) but am really thinking they know how to cobble a dramatic tune together now - Wha d'y' reckon $26? the daubings of an infantile mind or what?!

Hahaha

All the best and keep the faith....

Me(o)
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

If anyone could shoot me a copy of the new furries album Id be indebted to them. I'll still be buyin it but I cant wait any more.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Jebus Sabes wrote:Anyone interested in Sigur Ros really ought to visit this link, quick-ish:
http://fd5000.com/music/Sigur%20Ros%20-%20Takk/
Gosh darnit. Not quick enough off the mark.

fwiw, their show in Melbourne on Wednesday night was effing tops.