Jamie Lidell - Multiply

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Jamie Lidell - Multiply

Post by BzaInSpace »

[Warp Records 131, 2005]

A bit of credit where credit is due...

...and also as a reminder of the healing power of music - a huge thankyou to U_nderscore who introduced me to this a few months back, man, if I never said it at the time THANK YOU however belated this may be!

Instant classic? I believe so. The title track ['Multiply'] is a shimmering slice of pure mid-60s soul, or at least sounds like it.

And it has a great summer vibe. I know a few people who I played this to who want more, more...and could not believe it was recorded any later than 1970...

And hey! The rest of the album is great too! A real melange(?) of some of my favourite sounds there, and yes, a huge Prince influence there too.

There's a bit of jazz, a bit of gospel, a bit of Parliament and maybe even some renegade electronic elements. But it's all good... :lol:

For anyone familiar with Lidell's work as Super_Collider, a fair departure although you will recognise his soul-man vocal style.

What a record.

And it kinda saved me earlier this week.

Highly recommended!

:idea:
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

:D
you're welcome, cheers! what a nice post. i'm still loving the album too - there's loads of belters on there! i've been hammering 'multiply', 'when i come back around', 'a little bit more' and 'music will not last' for weeks now - it's so good.

in fact that's it, i'm going to put it on now, loud. with guinness and everything.
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

This certainly is one of the albums of the year...

A stunner from Warp Records, glad to see that people are taking notice of this one...

Has anyone seen/heard the man live? I saw a live clip and the show look just inspired, fantastic stuff. Singing, sampling, beats, stax-type soul etc.
:D
Last edited by Juzba on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

my mates saw him at the sage a few months ago and said he was absolutely amazing. i missed it. :(
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I've seen him live a couple of times now, along with his sidekick Pablo Fiasco doing the visuals. Absolutely brilliant - couldn't recommend more highly.

In fact, I've got a couple of digiCam recorded bits of his show at Glastonbury this year. If any of you want a flavour of the man, first couple to PM me with their details will get a burned DVDr of it.

Bear in mind it's hardly pro stuff though!!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

its really not that good. ok, props for a wonderful change of pace from not only his previous work, but popular (in its broad definition) musics current trends. but really its stuff thats been done before, much better. its... just ok. if even. i want to like it, i do and thats perhaps whats stopping me from being too brutal on it.
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

I found an older Jamie Lidell track on a comp - Daddys Car
Really like the breaky-edgy 'off' beats and his 'in the next room/bathroom!' vocals on it.

I've heard snippets of the Multiply stuff and i can't help thinking it's gonna be like Romanthony' - R. Hide in Plain Site.

I've got 7quid to burn, do i go for Multiply or do i opt for Muddlin Gear first?

Just an excuse to bump a lil party music up the board!
I only feel right
with a football at my side
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

sorta a bit on/off topic, but i was watching the Rolling Stones RnR Circus the other nite and was completely blown away by Taj Mahal!!!

now before the only thing i knew about taj mahal was that he was a pale imitation of Mississippi John Hurt.

WHO KNEW HE WAS THE FIRST INCARNATION OF THE DIRTBOMBS!!!

the one track that they did on the show was absolutely amazing, so i ask this, who knows what album is worth checking out from that era?? he had a full band and they were doing this great soul/blues stomp.

thanks
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I love "Multiply". So fucking good.

Was Taj Mahal really in the Dirtbombs (or were you being sarcastic)?
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

haha no, taj mahal was never in the dirtbombs but for anybody who has seen Rock N Roll Circus you can see and hear the similarities. they should have covered that song for the "Ultraglide in Black album.

sorry for the confusion.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

drones wrote:
I've heard snippets of the Multiply stuff and i can't help thinking it's gonna be like Romanthony' - R. Hide in Plain Site.
Surely a good thing? Magic record! Very much underated - 23rd Century Soul, with JBs & Prince all over it. The intro to 'Bring U Up' is almost too much but once it starts properly... glad to see it being mentioned here - even in less complimentary terms!

drones wrote:
I've got 7quid to burn, do i go for Multiply or do i opt for Muddlin Gear first?

No excuse needed! Get 'em both! But 'Multiply' is more pop, more or less...
O P 8
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

BzaInSpace wrote:
drones wrote:
Surely a good thing? Magic record! Very much underated - 23rd Century Soul, with JBs & Prince all over it. The intro to 'Bring U Up' is almost too much but once it starts properly... glad to see it being mentioned here - even in less complimentary terms!

drones wrote:

No excuse needed! Get 'em both! But 'Multiply' is more pop, more or less...
Think you've taken me the wrong way there. I am a fan of R. Hide in Plain Site. I mentioned it as a 'test the water' type thing, glad to meet a fellow 'liker'.

Muddlin Gear aint doing it for me. I'll give Multiply a spin.

Cheers
I only feel right
with a football at my side
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

drones wrote:
Think you've taken me the wrong way there. I am a fan of R. Hide in Plain Site. I mentioned it as a 'test the water' type thing, glad to meet a fellow 'liker'.
Yeah, sorry drones. Get on the good foot pal!

The Super_Collider album was good also...
O P 8
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

a beautiful noise wrote: was completely blown away by Taj Mahal!!!

now before the only thing i knew about taj mahal was that he was a pale imitation of Mississippi John Hurt.

Shonn, i'm really considering going to see Taj Mahal next week. Only 25 euros.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

a beautiful noise wrote:sorta a bit on/off topic, but i was watching the Rolling Stones RnR Circus the other nite and was completely blown away by Taj Mahal!!!

WHO KNEW HE WAS THE FIRST INCARNATION OF THE DIRTBOMBS!!!

the one track that they did on the show was absolutely amazing, so i ask this, who knows what album is worth checking out from that era?? he had a full band and they were doing this great soul/blues stomp.

thanks
i posted a thread along similar lines not too long ago, though it only got one response :(. basically his early stuff is ace, the rest is more hit and miss from what i can tell depends on your tastes obviously. in terms of recommendations be sure to check out his first (s/t) album (probably his best!), the giant step cd (with de ole folks at home too) and 'the real thing' live albums....

here's my old thread with nothing useful in it..
http://www.spiritualized.com/message2/v ... =taj+mahal