solo recording for treader

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

anorthernsoul
Known user

solo recording for treader

Post by anorthernsoul »

there's a really nice little note in the news section from jase ... he mentions a solo recording done for 'treader' that'll be out next month. has anyone got any clues what this is? i'd love to hear something that's just jason ...

big up j for being well, too.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

It must be this label: http://www.treader.org/

More info here: http://www.jazzitude.com/treaderseries_01.htm
Now the duo (John Coxon and Ashley Wales) have started a limited-edition series of recordings known as the Treader series (after the Spring Heel Jack CD Treader). The series has a distinctive look, with each pastel colored cardboard sleeve featuring a gold foil embossing of a different animal. The title also appears on the front of the sleeve, otherwise all other information is inside, where we find out who plays or contributes what sounds to the recording, but there are no track listings. It does create an immediate visual aesthetic for the series, one as distinctive as the Impulse I! Or the photographic minimalism of ECM recordings.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Just read the news section now. It's good to hear Jason is getting better. The solo thing sounds really interesting. :D
blackcockerel
Known user

Post by blackcockerel »

Does anyone know anything more about this? Is it out soon then?
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Bit more info at the bottom of this discussion: http://www.messandnoise.com/topics.asp?id=28060
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I emailed them last week, Had a reply from John Coxon. Apparently they are hoping to release it in October/November.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

So, purely for the sake of speculation, what do we expect the solo material to be like? I'm guessing it will be stripped down quite a bit, or else why wouldn't he just use the name Spiritualized?

Jason singing with just an acoustic?
Instrumental jazzy ramblings?
Probably not any serious electronic experimentation....

And I wonder if it will be credited to Spaceman or Jason Pierce?
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Since Spiritualized has been a solo act since at least 1998, I wager that this recording will probably be a meandering instrumental of some sort. I'll still buy it because if there's anything Jason's music would benefit from at the moment it's a litle intimacy.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i thought it might be some four-track or guitar/vocal stuff in the vain of acoustic stop your crying or something. we'll see though huh.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I don't think it will be anything Spiritualized based. More like the stuff hes done with Spring heal Jack and the gig in the summer with Matthew Shipp. So very free sounding Electric guitar. In a similar vein I suspect to Mark Sanders - Swallow Chase. So lots of big jazzy chords, tapping of strings, buzzing of amps and just more of a exploration of the sounds you can make with a guitar rather than anything song based. Treader is a Jazz label anyway and I doubt Sanctuary would be too pleased about him releasing a solo album of Spiritualized material on another label when they are suffering from "financial difficulties".
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Just got an email from john coxon and he said "guitar loops" is still in production but coming soon.

anyone hear Matt Groening on the Breezeblock last night? he played Stooges, Patti Smith, Beefheart, The fall in a 45 min set!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Update on this, I just heard from John that they are hopefully going to receieve the finished copies by Christmas so I expect it will be out around then.

No doubt a worry for the makers of "best Christmas Album in the world Ever".
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

See the latest entry in 'Prescriptions' - coming soon - next week?

It seems to suggest there will be 3 releases - using guitar loops...
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i think it's january, judging by the header of that news item thingy. and a couple of other releases too.

has anyone heard the other stuff? trio with interludes and that?
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

can't wait to get these, been a big fan of spring heel jack since the dnb days, got the other 3 and they're all ace, a particular fave being swallow chase.
the song treader from the album of same name remains to this day the scariest thing i've ever heard on record!
as a starting point for your av spz fan every home shouldn't be without a copy of the live album, it's incredible and sounds different everytime i play it, (with a couple sly nods to coltrane!)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

duppyconquerer wrote:....got the other 3 and they're all ace, a particular fave being swallow chase.
Really? I think you're right dc, there ought to be more drum solos in music
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

It's not fashionable, but i like drums.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

word. I'm all about drums and guitar loops.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

there's a picture of a bird on the front page. i don't know if it's only been me sat cross legged waiting to know which animal would be assigned to j's treader thing. but i guess it's a bird.