The rarest item ?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BVCP206
Known user

The rarest item ?

Post by BVCP206 »

Now that Ben has put to bed the urban myth that was the LAGWAFIS jap red pill box issue and detail regarding the mercury music prize issue sketchy to say the least what do you think is the rarest/hardest Spiz item to get hold of?
I'd like to put forward a CD entitled 'Spiritualized On Fire' issued by Chrysalis, Cat no.CM10. It comeS in a rather plain pinky red sleeve with Spiritualized On Fire written on an imitation post it note on the front. It features 10 tracks, 4 from LAGWAFIS and 6 from LICD. I understand that this is not your standard promo that is sent out to all and sundry but is produced to send to TV and film companies only. I'm not saying it's the rarest item but you don't see many of them around and I think it must be right up there.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Does anyone know how many Elvis version promos there were in total? I've seen the figure of 50 bandied about, but I think that's too low, because I've got two myself. The Dutch/German Pinkpop Abbey Road EP is pretty hard to get hold of too, I think the last one I saw on E-bay went for about 40 quid.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Hmmmm - it depends on the type of items you allow into the mix.

If you're talking white label 7" or 12" promos then I bet some of those are only now around in pretty limited quantities (I've never seen the alleged Let it Flow 12" w/l for instance).

I've got an early promo copy of the Run 12" with an unfinished (i.e. not folded and glued) sleeve and all the press materials, and I've never seen one of those come up before or since. Howver, you could argue that this is not a 'real' release, and there are plenty of standard Run 12"s out there.

To be honest, I don't think that Chrysalis publishing CD is that rare - I've seen it a few times on eBay, and the last time it didn't sell for £4.99.....
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Jasonsmith wrote:Does anyone know how many Elvis version promos there were in total? I've seen the figure of 50 bandied about, but I think that's too low, because I've got two myself.
This is a very grey area, the standard 'Elvis' promo discs in the clear jewel case with no artwork is 'relatively' easy to come by, I wrote to Dedicated at the time of issue and they confrimed 800-1000 but they couldn't be specific (why?). The confusion arises with the pillbox issues and if any were produced with the 'Elvis' mix disc in them. I'm sure some copies are out there but to put a number on them would be difficult if not impossible. The real gem regarding LAGWAFIS would be an 'Elvis' remix in the 12 disc set with clear backing on the blister packs, anybody that lucky?
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Greeny wrote:Hmmmm - it depends on the type of items you allow into the mix.

If you're talking white label 7" or 12" promos then I bet some of those are only now around in pretty limited quantities (I've never seen the alleged Let it Flow 12" w/l for instance).

I'm intrigued re. the Let It Flow 12" w/l, were have you heard about this?

To be honest, I don't think that Chrysalis publishing CD is that rare - I've seen it a few times on eBay, and the last time it didn't sell for £4.99.....

If there have been a few on ebay I stand corrected, just that I've not seen many around on ebay or elsewhere.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

[quote="BVCP206"][quote="Greeny"]Hmmmm - it depends on the type of items you allow into the mix.

I'm intrigued re. the Let It Flow 12" w/l, were have you heard about this?

The Let it Flow 12" promo was listed in Record Collector's full discography for Spiritualized. Apologies, looking at it agian it doesn't actually say it's a white label. It does definitely say 12" (as opposed to the 10" you might expect) though, and gives a catalogue number SPIRT 009 DJ.

Hope this helps, but if one comes up, bags I saw it first!!!
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i have a let it flow promo cd with the same catalogue number

the ultimate rarity is a set of industry only test pressing for amazing grace, that come with an additional track that wasnt released on the final vinyl set of 12".s

theres probably 5 or 10 max in existence
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

andyblacktoo wrote:i have a let it flow promo cd with the same catalogue number

the ultimate rarity is a set of industry only test pressing for amazing grace, that come with an additional track that wasnt released on the final vinyl set of 12".s

Wow! I take it you have one of these? What's the extra track - has it resurfaced anywhere else?
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Do you have a picture of yourself in a cock-shaped frame?
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

Greeny wrote:

Wow! I take it you have one of these? What's the extra track - has it resurfaced anywhere else?

i dont have one, i know someone with one. he wont part with it, its in his, if all else goes wrong and i need to pay the mortgage box.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

andyblacktoo wrote:
Greeny wrote:

i dont have one, i know someone with one. he wont part with it, its in his, if all else goes wrong and i need to pay the mortgage box.
right right, but whats the title of the extra song :?:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

..."Fixing a hole"....no, really. :lol:

Initial tracklists for 'Amazing Grace' mentioned a tune called 'Till the end of time'. It probably dosen't exist though.

The extra song was likely to have been 'Amazing Grace (Peace on Earth)'...

But PLEASE, correct me if i'm wrong.
shifting_images
Known user

Post by shifting_images »

I have a pretty rare spiritualized cd called SPIRITUALIZED Radio Sessions Volume One CD - 11 tracks from 1993 & 1995.
I got it for $5 off ebay and now I'm seeing it everywhere for like $40 to $80 dollars.
I'll list the tracklist later cause the cd is at my other house, just in case you're wondering what songs are on it
!taking drugs to make music to take drugs to!
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

shifting_images wrote:I have a pretty rare spiritualized cd called SPIRITUALIZED Radio Sessions Volume One CD - 11 tracks from 1993 & 1995.
I got it for $5 off ebay and now I'm seeing it everywhere for like $40 to $80 dollars.
I'll list the tracklist later cause the cd is at my other house, just in case you're wondering what songs are on it

you got screwed shiftin.. that one should have 13 tracks and include the 92-04-29 date as well..

bootlegs are a different story.. I could burn a copy right now and call it "spz died in the 90:s" and it would be more rare..
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

i wouldn't know if my 12pill box had the elvis mix as i haven't opened it. anyone who has done so and found it? rumor was that a few of these boxes had that mix, but who knows. not me. still rules over the standard version.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

i do have spectrum's soul kiss cd that still has the psych liquid pack with the liquid still init. haven't found anyone with it on vinyl with the goo still intact.
i would say my surf's up vinyl signed by brian would be my rarest dealio. or my adios amigos cd signed by johnny ramone. as far as that goes.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

your'e cheating porky! :o

xxxme
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Shifting Images,

The Radio Sessions Vol. 1 is not rare. I bought mine at a record store at the time and would be very suprised anyone would pay more than $30.00. It has the M.Radcliffe and J.Peel Radio Sessions.

As for the liquid gel ' Soul Kiss Glide Divine ', I believe that was only for the cd format and not vinyl ?
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

As for the liquid gel ' Soul Kiss Glide Divine ', I believe that was only for the cd format and not vinyl ?[/quote]

This was available on vinyl, my copy is still intact with oil. Took three attempts at getting one intact though as my local record store will testify!
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

The Sundays first single "can't be sure" on 3" cd w/ b-side "don't tell your mother". or on the other side o' things, NIN broken ep w/ extra 3" cd of that adam ant cover.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm suprised that the 'gel' also came in the vinyl format. I have never seen or heard of it. Yeah, mine is almost evaporated. They should have used oil rather than soapy dishwater for the packaging so that it won't evaporate.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

i saw it (sk vinyl) on ebay once. but wasn't gonna shell out the dough they were asking. i remember reading that a lot of them got destroyed in the shipping process just to get it to the shops.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I have Soul Kiss on vinyl and there's still some liquid sloshing about in it. Very nice it is too.

The sound on the vinyl is poor though. I don't know if this was the case with all of them or not?

Ended up having to hunt for the CD version, without the special packaging.

Gorgeous album.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Fuzzhead wrote:I have Soul Kiss on vinyl and there's still some liquid sloshing about in it. Very nice it is too.

The sound on the vinyl is poor though. I don't know if this was the case with all of them or not?

Ended up having to hunt for the CD version, without the special packaging.

Gorgeous album.
Couldn't agree more, I purchased it on vinyl first and had terrible problems with clicks etc. A truly brilliant album which you need to own on CD.
shifting_images
Known user

appledelphy wrote:
shifting_images wrote:I have a pretty rare spiritualized cd called SPIRITUALIZED Radio Sessions Volume One CD - 11 tracks from 1993 & 1995.

you got screwed shiftin.. that one should have 13 tracks and include the 92-04-29 date as well..

bootlegs are a different story.. I could burn a copy right now and call it "spz died in the 90:s" and it would be more rare..
Hey appledelphy the cd I have does have 13 tracks but it say 11 tracks on the actual cd case the other 2 tracks are just an interview and a short introduction, but, you are right it does have 13 tracks. The cd I have is the real deal no cdr etc.
Here's the tracklist for anyone who was wondering.

APRIL 29, 1992- M. RADCLIFFE, "HIT THE NORTH"
1.IF I WERE WITH HER NOW
2.STEP INTO THE BREEZE
3.ANGEL SIGH
4.INTERVIEW WITH J. SPACEMAN
5.WALKIN' WITH JESUS
6.MEDICATION

NOVEMBER 8, 1993- M. RADCLIFFE, RADIO ONE
7.LET IT FLOW
8.SHORT INTRODUCTION
9.SWAY
10.ELECTRIC MAINLINE

APRIL 18, 1995- JOHN PEEL
11.TAKE YOUR TIME
12.WALKIN' WITH JESUS
13.DON'T GO

IT'S AN AMAZING CD
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I notice we have drifted off the thread somewhat, I was specifically referring to Spiz items when I posted it, if however we are now drifting into Sonic Boom/Spectrum territory it's a different ball game altogether. We are talking luminous copies of Drone Dream the split 7" with Stereolab
and colour/clear vinyl copies of the Califonia Lullabye 10" to name but three.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

shifting_images wrote:
IT'S AN AMAZING CD
yeah it´s good! (even if it´s not that rare)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If you enjoy the Radio Sessions CD Shifting its worth every penny you paid.
Anyone who thinks they are gonna retire off any Spiritualized rarities better think again. Ebay has seen to that. The price that some really rare items have gone for has plummetted in the past few years. Unfortunately that is more a true indication of what sort of price the market will bear.
My rarest Spz item might well be a 7" test pressing for Feel So Sad. Dont know how many were pressed but I doubt there are that many of it floating around.
Rarest non Spz item? Set list and pass from a Rolling Stones club show at the Double Door in Chicago in 97'.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I still have my laminate from the "Highest Show On Earth" at the CN Tower. That must be a pretty rare non-musical Spz item :D...

Peace.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

don't care if it's rare, but I still covet my unopened Fucked Up Inside cd. The one I play I had signed by Jason, Sean and Damon back in 96-97?. . . still looking for that unopened copy on vinyl. Anyone? :shock: . . .
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

... a medal is in the post.

~~~

Personally, I could never own a cd without playing the thing!

Go on PureSpace...open it!

I dare you...

:twisted:
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

BzaInSpace wrote:... a medal is in the post.

~~~

Personally, I could never own a cd without playing the thing!

Go on PureSpace...open it!

I dare you...

:twisted:
That's why I have me 2 copies: one to play and one to sit and stare at whilst feeling fucked up :lol:
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

purespace wrote:don't care if it's rare, but I still covet my unopened Fucked Up Inside cd. The one I play I had signed by Jason, Sean and Damon back in 96-97?. . . still looking for that unopened copy on vinyl. Anyone? :shock: . . .
I have never opened the 12 cd tablet set, most other stuff i do open though. i read that if you leave shrinkwrap on lp's it'll bend the corners over time, so i always take off the shrinkwrap and store them in nice plastic covers that leave more room. i do have 2 copies of fui on vinyl, one never played. but alas the wrap is off(and i ain't selling anyway:) )
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

spzretent wrote:If you enjoy the Radio Sessions CD Shifting its worth every penny you paid.
Anyone who thinks they are gonna retire off any Spiritualized rarities better think again. Ebay has seen to that. The price that some really rare items have gone for has plummetted in the past few years. Unfortunately that is more a true indication of what sort of price the market will bear.
My rarest Spz item might well be a 7" test pressing for Feel So Sad. Dont know how many were pressed but I doubt there are that many of it floating around.
Rarest non Spz item? Set list and pass from a Rolling Stones club show at the Double Door in Chicago in 97'.

I've got one of those 7" Feel so Sad test pressings as well....
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

My friend has a mug that a roadie gave him after we saw them in Whitehaven, that has to be pretty one-of-a-kind.
rspaceman22
Known user

Post by rspaceman22 »

i have a recurring cd that i had signed by sonic first then later by jason. when he saw sonic signed it he didnt really wanna sign it but i begged him and now its probably my prize. i also have the giant medecine bottle poster of jason from lagwfis, and it is signed by jason accompanied by a pic of me with him and me e'd out of my mind. the look on jasons face is priceless.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i've got the radio dedicated sampler (with the x-files theme tune), and theres only 300 or so of those, one for each chain with no name store.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Andyblacktoo, I also have the radio sampler w/ the x-files theme (brings back memory). I faintly remembering my friend and I calling the only record store in the U.K. that was selling it around 2 or 3 am U.S. time pissed out of our minds. Some of the unusual stuff that I have include prescription containers filled w/ mm's during the LAGWAFIS and i have about 5 of them. Also, the Japanese version of PP w/ cover album of Jason in spacesuit arm in arm w/ Kate Ashcroft. I kinda had the feeling that Jason won't sign anything w/ Sonic on it. I had him sign a copy of the Perfect Prescription on one fold w/ Sonic's signature on the other side. 8)
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

yep each record store got one only, i tried half a dozen stores and no-one would sell me theirs, because staff were either keeping it for themselves, or prevented from selling it.

in the end i found it in a 2nd hand shop in leicester for 25p.

i met the guy who a&r'd the complete works compilations....bmg lost the masters for the x files track, and so paid £35 to get a copy of the sampler to copy for the compilation.......

andy
rspaceman22
Known user

Post by rspaceman22 »

the cd with the xfiles theme was called supplementry dossage if were talking about the same cd. i have it.. as for the pic of me and jason i wont be able to scan it, my scanner is busted and i dont have $ for a new one. sorry if i get a new one il definately post the pic.
shifting_images
Known user

I have supplementary dosage (promo copy), I heard that they only made 300 copies of that aswell but didn't know if it was true or not. I think I only paid like $10 for mine no more than a regular cd. How much did you pay for your's rspaceman22, if you don't mind me asking.

1.cop shoot cop(live) 7:49
2.shine a light (live) 6:17
3.electric mainline (live) 6:46
4.cool waves (instrumental) 3:04
5."the x files" theme 3:33

(tracklist just to make sure we're talking about the same cd, that and it gave me something to do.)
rspaceman22
Known user

Post by rspaceman22 »

i got mine free from the label rep at the time. its the same tracklist. i dont think ive ever seen it in stores or even online except for ebay a few years ago.
shifting_images
Known user

I got mine off of musicstack.com awhile ago, you should check it out people are selling some pretty rare stuff on there.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

the x files theme tune was initially released on a dedicated records sampler called (imaginatively)

radio dedicated

with spiritualized, cranes, global communication etc, etc.

300 or so copies, one to each UK chain with no name store. they were prevented from placing the cd on re-sale.
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

rspaceman22 wrote:the cd with the xfiles theme was called supplementry dossage if were talking about the same cd. i have it.. as for the pic of me and jason i wont be able to scan it, my scanner is busted and i dont have $ for a new one. sorry if i get a new one il definately post the pic.

Just take a pic with a digital camera. Should work, no?
rspaceman22
Known user

Post by rspaceman22 »

Juzba wrote:
rspaceman22 wrote:the cd with the xfiles theme was called supplementry dossage if were talking about the same cd. i have it.. as for the pic of me and jason i wont be able to scan it, my scanner is busted and i dont have $ for a new one. sorry if i get a new one il definately post the pic.

Just take a pic with a digital camera. Should work, no?
lol no digital cam either..that one will happen b4 the scanner . maybe i can borrow a cam and take a pic.. more later-
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The X-Files Theme I was thinking of is the same one 'AndyBlackToo' was thinking about (from the Dedicated Sampler). Bought the sampler just for that one song. Once awhile in S.F. you can find Spacemen 3 'Threebie' and other SPZ singles, such as the ' Supplementary Dosage ' for regular price. What is kinda hard to find is the 'Abbey Rd. w/ Pink Pop' tracks.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

shifting_images wrote:I got mine off of musicstack.com awhile ago, you should check it out people are selling some pretty rare stuff on there.
Nice one shifting images!!!!!!!!

I just scored Fucked Up Inside on vinyl (unopened :D :D :D :D !!!!) from musicstack. WHOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
shifting_images
Known user

Kick ass that's where i got mine aswell some months ago unopened, but I opened it cause I was anxious.Well anyways good deal.