Cop shoot cop...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

good times
Known user

Cop shoot cop...

Post by good times »

i've been listening lagwafis for 4 years and it's soundtrack of my life. i love every song in it and especially cop shoot cop. i think it's the best track that can close this type of an album.

But there is a little problem. I just can't understand the outro part. when the choir goes on, jason starts to sing. but there is some words that i can't completely hear. Here it goes:

It doesn't end in any place without you.
And all my love and all my prey (?) Can you feel that too (?)
My loneliness, you know it hits me and lasts till death (?)
Cos you're so sweet and make me feel like a "...."(this is the hardest word) :D
It doesn't end where i find myself then i'll keep goin' (?)
Cos you're so sweet but i can't seem to find my way back home.
If this is heaven, you'd better know i'm not happy then.
Cos heaven ....................... (?) (wtf?!)
It doesn't end in any place without you my friend.
And i will love you, even if .........(?)
Cos you're so sweet, and .............(?)
It doesn't end in any place without you my dear.
And i will love you, i will love you, i will love you, i will love you.

I love the sadness on this part. especially the sound at the end which slowly fades with the bass.

and all these lyrics were for kate, weren't they?...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

its something like this, but im not going over to fast forward 15odd minutes of the last track (and i cant rewind back from the start on that cd player) cause the seinfeld 6.30 showing is on and even if it is one of my least favourite and also one of the poorest (the strike) i still owe to myself to watch it, and the festivus angle is great and kruger locking himself out of his office:

the desert is any place without you
and oh my love, im pretty sure that you can feel that/it to
and loneliness, you know it hits me and it lasts for days
cause yer so sweet, you make me feel like a child my babe.
the desert is where i find myself when i get blown
cause yer so sweet, well i cant seem to find my way back home.
if this is heaven, well you know that im not happy here
cause heaven aint any place where youre not near.
the desert is any place without you my friend
and i will love you even if im here til the end
cause yer so sweet, im always wishing baby you were here
the desert is, any place without you my dear.
and i will love you...
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

It's definitely 'a desert is...' et cetera. The latter part of that song, I've been told, was originally tracked as a seperate copyright that was in fact called "Desert", before the various unrelated fragments were glued together a la "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" or "Cabinessence".
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Really? That's an interesting bit of trivia. Cool.

Knowing that, I'm glad that he gave it the Suite: Judy Blue Eyes treatment - in part because that's what I'm used to, but also because it really ties up the song/album so nicely as one epic 17 minute composition.

Any particular reason for the 30 seconds (?) worth of silence at the end?

Perhaps it serves to cleanse the palette before the opening track again if you've got it on repeat... Kind of like sonic sorbet!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I think the 30 seconds makes it a 70 min album.
Kinda how the album cover indicates 1 tablet (album) 70 min.
Better than 69 minutes and 28 seconds.
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

i'm really suprised! i always thought it was "it doesn't end ..."!!! :D :D

thank you so much, thank you!

this song really makes me feel sad. especially "the desert" part...
so desperate, so hopeless, ans jason's impressive voice...
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

i'm generally satisfied with my own interpretation of lyrics, but i think i'm gonna call out the singer/songwriter...

what are they, j? inquiring minds want to know, and you meant/trusted em enough to sing em, no matter how far down in the mix. it's not like we're asking what you MEANT, just what you SAID...

who's with me? let's petition the writer. tear down the wall, etc.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

I am not sure whether "Desert" and "Cop Shoot Cop" were always meant to be one and the same (a la "Cabinessence") or whether they were, in fact, unrelated, stitched-together fragments (a la "Suite Judy Blue Eyes"). They are in the same key, for what it's worth.

It should be noted that the vast majority of the lyrics of the first part of the tune are merely slight variations on a verse from an old John Prine tune called "Sam Stone", which is why the "hole in my arm where all the money goes" line is so much more lucid and evocative than all Jason's other holes in which things go.

[That didn't sound right.]
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

I think the 30 seconds makes it a 70 min album.
Kinda how the album cover indicates 1 tablet (album) 70 min.
Better than 69 minutes and 28 seconds.
Oh, right... Thanks. I'd forgotten about that little disclaimer. Man, do I miss having all of my jewel cases/booklets at my disposal!

I've always meant to check out that song - Sam Stone, that is. So, where's a good place to start with John Prine? I honestly know nothing about the man or his music. (Of course, I'll be hitting allmusic.com shortly to remedy that.)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

A good start is the "Prime Prine" album/cd, a greatest hits of sorts. Mr. Prine has been touring lately though I haven't had a chance to see him.

And speaking of Cop Shoot Cop, the one and only Night Tripper himself, Dr. John, is headlining the Frankenmuth Blues festival (only 20 minutes from my home!) here in Michigan on Sept. 2, 2005 for anyone who happens to be in the area.

I'm listening to Daniel Johnston right now. And crying. Wonderful. "don't let the sun go down on yer grivance, whoo! sing it!" YEAH! Love it!

I bought one of his original drawings yesterday. All proceeds go to Daniel's housing fund. Check out http://www.hihowareyou.com/tribute/ and click on gallery to see some of his works for sale.

Cheers.
Last edited by purespace on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

For those who missed him in London in July, the ICA are showing 'The Devil and Daniel Johnston' later this month...

http://www.ica.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=14245
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

dont exactly know how this thread got onto the topic of johnston, but rather than create another thread ill use this one to tell whoever sees this post in time that there is a feature on the man (in relation to the film, though it doesnt get much attention) in the gaurdians 'the guide' magazine today. its basically just a straightforward piece on who he is, his influences and couple of examples of his illness and a small bit about one of his main muses - laurie allen.

its a nice article, and nice to see a somewhat larger publicition giving the man attention. couple of good photos and mention of course of cobain and jason pierce (yo la tengo and wayne coyne too). if i ever get round to it ill try and scan it or transcribe it but it really not that big a deal.
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

The Johnston article is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/musi ... 70,00.html

No need to scan now :D
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ha, thank fuck.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Apparently the Daniel Johnston gig has been cancelled and he will not participate in the Q&A after the film either (don't have a ticket myself).
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

causes hes mental.
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

For those reading this and wondering who Johnston is, it should be pointed out that Spectrum covered his 'True Love Will Find You In The End', which is also one of the tracks on Sonic Boom's 'Spacelines' compilation.