Krautrock

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

andrewstevens
Known user

Krautrock

Post by andrewstevens »

We discuss everything else on here, so, umm, like Cluster, Harmonia and Neu! or something.
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

I can honestly say I like individual Can songs but not whole albums. The same goes for Faust.

Cluster, Harmonia, Kraftwerk and Neu! float my boat any day of the week though.

See, debate!
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Ha ha, I'm listening to Halleluhwah off Tago Mago right now... and that definitely makes me think of the Mondays.

Oh, wait... my grumpy, Gareth-like office-mate just came back. He's not going to like this one bit!

I have the Orange Neu! album as well as a Kraftwerk compilation that was made by a friend... That's about the extent of my Krautrock collection...

Oh, I'd say that the latest Death in Vegas wouldn't sound entirely out of place on the Autobahn either. ; )
ben crook
Known user

Post by ben crook »

That last Death In Vegas record is incredible. "Sons Of Rother" being my personal banger. Not technically Krautrock but hey!

Actually the last Echoboy "Elektrik Soul Psymphonie" album is in a similar vein, albeit mellower. (Echoboy is Spzd® bassman just in case you didn't know, but I'm sure you do)

Ben x
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

La Dusseldorf
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

There's a nice compilation on the purple pyramid label from Amon Düül II, worth checking out
"Thank you"
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Do Einsturzende Neubaten count as Krautrock?

Anyway, they're one of my favourite bands.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Electrelane are krautrock-girl-power-krautrock.

i'm sure every krautrocker should check out the new Sigur Ros album. thats kraut and spacebuster.
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

i) Omission of La Dusseldorf was criminal, I apologise
ii) Neubaten, though German, not Krautrock (nor are The Scorpions)
iii) Electrelane's 'Axes' is one of the best albums this year
spacedsymphony
New user

Post by spacedsymphony »

yeah i have stuff by Can,Faust,Neu!,Kraftwerk,Klaus Schulze,Tangerine Dream,Ash Ra Temple, the guitarist from said band Manuel Gottsching, he did e2-e4 or summat very long proto techno piece,Cluster and Roedelius solo stuff is great,also Harmonia- krautrock supergroup consisting of members of Neu! and Cluster.Check out Cluster and Eno working together aswell,they did some marvellous stuff.
i think Mixmaster Morris used one of their pieces as a template for his Barbarella remix

if you like german also check out the Basic Channel and Chain Reaction and Pete Namlooks FAX labels for some interesting teutonic minimalist trance and ambient, check out Mouse on Mars, Sun Electric are also brilliant, just do some diggin!...
simon jeffes RIP 1949-1997
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

andrewstevens wrote:i) ii) Neubaten, though German, not Krautrock (nor are The Scorpions)
Haha, OK- but I really hope that's not a comparison.
By the way, can someone please define Krautrock for me?

Where's that 'know it all' 26 when you need him?!
machineryelf
Known user

krautrock

Post by machineryelf »

amon duul II- Yeti a masterpiece

try Head Heritage site, J.Copes website chockafull of Krautrock related stuff

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/reviews/

think some of Spiritualized may know this Copey fellow
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

The allmusic.com definition is:

"Kraut Rock refers to the legions of German bands of the early '70s that expanded the sonic possibilities of art and progressive rock. Instead of following in the direction of their British and American counterparts, who were moving toward jazz and classical-based compositions and concept albums, the German bands became more mechanical and electronic."

Neubaten, nein, Neu!, ja.

Cope's stuff around this is cool but I'm still waiting for a definitive genre book.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Did you see what Kraftwerk or rather Ralf Hutter said about 'Krautrock' in this month's Mojo?

"...this is a word we would never use. Nobody in Germany knows this term."

He also mentions a party in the late 60s where Can's rhythm section (Jaki and Holger) joined in.

"Sadly we didn't record that..."

I recently heard 'Delay : 1968' by Can and I enjoyed it.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

andrewstevens wrote:The allmusic.com definition is:

"Kraut Rock refers to the legions of German bands of the early '70s that expanded the sonic possibilities of art and progressive rock. Instead of following in the direction of their British and American counterparts, who were moving toward jazz and classical-based compositions and concept albums, the German bands became more mechanical and electronic."

Neubaten, nein, Neu!, ja.

Cope's stuff around this is cool but I'm still waiting for a definitive genre book.
Cheers! I've heard the term so many times, but never really knew exactly what it stood for.
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

BzaInSpace wrote:Did you see what Kraftwerk or rather Ralf Hutter said about 'Krautrock' in this month's Mojo?

I'm not surprised, it's almost abusive to German ears. It's in their interests to be considered as a stand-alone band outside of the genre, though in fairness it's perfectly possible to not consider them as part of it anyhow. I've met people who own the Kraftwerk back catalogue yet have either never heard of Neu! or are at best ignorant of the fact they are two ex-members of Kraftwerk!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Neu are amazing! My favorite track is on Neu 76. "Leb'wohl", It is beautiful. Not a traditional Krautrock sound but really stripped down with just a piano and a cowbell and vocals sound very very strung out. Amazing! Harmonia are a recent discovery for me. And Fur Limer is great the way it builds gradually into such a dirty intense noise. Like Electric mainline from live at the Royal Albert hall.

I picked up Music Von Harmonia and its very electronic and spacey. Track two sounds very very like spiritualized, or should that be the other way around...Need to buy the other albums theyve done now.

CAN where good up to about there 4th or 5th album from what Ive read?
Tracks worth hunting down are "mother Sky" (from CAN soundtracks) a 15 minutes guitar wig out mantra. Its one one those songs you wished lasted forever. "Spoon" which has bizarre monk singing (Beta Band style) and a lovely bossanova beat. It sounds like the workings of a genius. (in fact all of Ege Bamyasi is quality).

Faust IV is one of my first Krautrock discoveries. The track "Krautrock" is 12 minutes of white noise, guitars sslashing away at chords, a rattling tamborine, the drums come in after 7 minutes. Its exactly how I thought Krautrock would sound. You really do need to hear it.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yes...that is the only Faust I have heard. 'The Sad Skinhead' is good too.

I suspect Can have a few more good albums out there...'Future days' is a great album!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

CAN's Monster Movies a Pretty smart album. Its apparently where the Stone Roses got the idea for Fools Gold. Cant remember which track it is though? maybe "Mary, Mary So Contrary". Faust Tapes are crazy, 45 minutes, one track. Very good. As is Faust - So Far.
andrewstevens
Known user

Post by andrewstevens »

Neu are amazing! My favorite track is on Neu 76. "Leb'wohl", It is beautiful. Not a traditional Krautrock sound but really stripped down with just a piano and a cowbell and vocals sound very very strung out.
The whole of Neu! 75 is amazing, especially that and 'See Land', which I think a lot of Spiritualized fans could get into. 'Hero' on that album is the trademark Neu! sound, as namechecked by Primal Scream et al around 2002.

Cluster are well worth the effort of getting hold of if you're not acquainted with them. Zuckerzeit could be released on Warp now, it's that fresh and electronic.

Can's 'I Want More' (on the soundtrack of Morvern Callar and Rough Trade electronic) is their most 'accessible' song, though the album really isn't worth bothering with in my opinion. That said, the hypnotic synth hook on that song is very 'Big City' by Spacemen 3 (is to me, anyhow).
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

simonkeeping wrote:... worth hunting down are "mother Sky" (from CAN soundtracks) a 15 minutes guitar wig out mantra. Its one one those songs you wished lasted forever...

For my money (and it's the money of an ignoramus, obviously), the best version of Mother Sky is by Th'Faith Healers (Lido album), and the second best version is by Loop (erm... maybe on Dual album, or...). The advantage of both of these in my opinion, is the dual fact that they DON'T last forever, and they move with some pace and gumption compared to what I remember of the original.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

andrewstevens wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:Did you see what Kraftwerk or rather Ralf Hutter said about 'Krautrock' in this month's Mojo?

I'm not surprised, it's almost abusive to German ears. It's in their interests to be considered as a stand-alone band outside of the genre, though in fairness it's perfectly possible to not consider them as part of it anyhow. I've met people who own the Kraftwerk back catalogue yet have either never heard of Neu! or are at best ignorant of the fact they are two ex-members of Kraftwerk!
Yes, I was going to pitch in...a genre borne out of location, wholly impractical as the differences in these many bands are massive. Again it's lazy, supposed "muso's" that have caused this.

On a more current note and I'll use the term current as referring to "within the last ten years"...I've got Fiend 2 - Caledonian Cosmic coming out the speakers at this very minute. I'd recommend it to anyone for a dreary tuesday morning in the office. It's electronic post rock/punk laden with surprises. The driving force is Brendan O'Hare (Mogwai/Teenage Fanclub/Telstar Ponies) with some assistance from his mates, notably fellow Ponies; Keenan and Laird. Then I'm going to immerse myself in another Keenan project Phantom Engineer, mostly improv pieces, very uplifting.

Have a nice day
I only feel right
with a football at my side
sunray
Known user

Re: Krautrock

Post by sunray »

Faust box set covering 1971-74 on the way: https://shop.tapeterecords.com/records/ ... -1974.html

Faust IV was always my pick of the bunch.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 pm Faust box set covering 1971-74 on the way: https://shop.tapeterecords.com/records/ ... -1974.html

That looks great. It'll over £200 here on vinyl thanks to Brexit though... :cry:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:53 pm
sunray wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 pm Faust box set covering 1971-74 on the way: https://shop.tapeterecords.com/records/ ... -1974.html

That looks great. It'll over £200 here on vinyl thanks to Brexit though... :cry:
Hey Olan, it's on pre-order at Norman: https://www.normanrecords.com/cloudsear ... +1971-1974
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

christ that Faust box set is tempting isn't it? but £100 just for the CD version... £160 if you're looking at vinyl.

boxset prices can be inconsistent. there is good value stuff to be had, but there is also some eye watering prices out there.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Stapleton included this (rather famous by now) list of influential bands on the first album by Nurse with Wound. All leftfield and rather kraut.
https://www.discogs.com/Nurse-With-Woun ... ster/52444