Shine a light

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Clownbait
Known user

Shine a light

Post by Clownbait »

on me
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Nice one!

Could be my absolute favorite track of the 90's and beyond .......especially LIVE!

The only song that tops it for me is "I Just Wanna See His Face" of Exile On Main St. by the Stones.

Thats off the charts high praise.
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

if I had to choose between the Stones' Shine A Light and Spiritualized's Shine A Light, I'd go for the Stones. oooh I just don't know!

ian g lh shite

:lol: can anyone do better?
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

NOW... for me, "Shine a light" is the best track on 'Exile...' and I've thought so for a while. Never really connected the two songs before though...now ou mention it the SPZ one could almost be a coda to the Stones' song...the Stones even mention the good Lord (but the Stones gave it much more soul (albeit rubber).

S'funny that Exile is a garage (basement - same difference) record in the same way that AG is...choirs, horns, strings, organs, no obvious signs of rehearsal, and yet is often referred to as their best LP (by people who are wrong, but never mind). AG on the other hand is testament to the axiom that it takes a huge amount of work to get away with being that lazy (by which I mean...go figure).

a propos nothing...will that womn from the distillers not just put it away?...we've all got one.
It's all happening!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

You can put me at the top of the list of "wrong people" who rate Exile as thee best Stones release. I will go one step further and say its my absolute favorite record...EVER!
Now granted there are some other fine choices out there:
Let It Bleed- third choice
Sticky Fingers- overplayed
Beggars Banquet- a close second
Goats Head Soup- completely underrated

Let the debate continue.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

spzretent wrote:You can put me at the top of the list of "wrong people" who rate Exile as thee best Stones release. I will go one step further and say its my absolute favorite record...EVER!
Now granted there are some other fine choices out there:
Let It Bleed- third choice
Sticky Fingers- overplayed
Beggars Banquet- a close second
Goats Head Soup- completely underrated

Let the debate continue.

I personally like Sticky Fingers the best, despite the fact that it's a bit overplayed. #2 is Let It Bleed and #3 is Exile. All excellent albums. Goats Head Soup is underrated, but still doesn't come close to your top four Stones' albums.

By the way, Spzretent ~ have you checked your private messages?
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Another vote for Exile here, 2nd only to blood on the tracks on my alltime list. I think it's got more excess fat than Sticky, Let it bleed, etc, but I don't mind.
I finally saw C*cksucker Blues this weekend, not great in terms of music(although l loved that version of happy) but still a treat if you enjoy Exile and the surrounding lore.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

I would definitely call Exile the Stones' best record. It shows their rhythm section at its fiercest and the songwriting at its most gospellish and moving. For my part it's a classic. I guess that makes me wrong!

The Stones' Shine a Light features the chords F, C, G in sequence during the chorus. Spiritualized's version goes F, C, G. :) Aside from that I don't think there's much connection...

The Spiritualized tune is definitely a live entity for me. On LP it sounds - gasp - a little slack after 11 years, but the fact that he's eliminated his only constant hit from live sets recently makes me furious. I've never been unmoved by a live Shine a Light, and it's time he brought it back as his most sturdy 'oldie'. After all, do we really need "Cheapster"?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

SpaceLine, where did you see C*cksucker Blues? I've always wanted to see it (Exile my favourite Stones album too) and missed it the only time it was shown at the ICA in London.

Anyone know of a bootleg vid/DVD doing the rounds???
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

i got it from that sharingthegroove site, took me about 2 weeks to download but it was worth it. quality is very good, only a few glitches and keith is priceless. i will gladly burn you a copy if you send me a blank dvd-r and a return envelope with postage.

for those that have seen it, is anita pallenberg in it at all? I think she's in the one scene where keith is nodding out in a locker room, but i can't tell. the reason i ask is because i recently read a book on keith and she figured prominently and i wasn't sure if that was her shooting up(i don't think so).
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Beggars Banquet is hereby disqualified for only having two good tracks on it (try and guess which ones). Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed and Exile are joint tops

Get Your Ya Ya's Out and Out of Our Heads is good, too, but no one's mentioned them (and I'm not doing that to be obtuse, really).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Beggars Banquet 2 good tracks?????????????
Take off Sympathy For The Devil and Street Fighting Man and its damn near a masterpiece!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

getting back to Shine A Light.... it's good to see it back on the setlist for this tour (I'm talking about Spiritualized, by the way.
Unless I missed it somehow, I don't think it made the last tour.

(And it's Sticky Fingers for me. Not a bad track on it. Although neither has Let It Bleed, admittedly.)
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

twentysixdollars wrote:The Stones' Shine a Light features the chords F, C, G in sequence during the chorus. Spiritualized's version goes F, C, G. :) Aside from that I don't think there's much connection...
I didn't know both songs had the same chord sequence, I wonder if Jason did, either conciously or subconciously. Surely that fact alone is enough to make a connection? Not being a musician or knowing an E string from a G-String, :wink: I don't analyze music, I feel it in my head, my feet, heart etc.

my top 3 Stones LP's:

1 Exile
2 Sticky Fingers
3 Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!

Crazy Mama off of Black and Blue would be in my top ten Stones songs. Goat's Head Soup is a classic.

Spz borrowed off the Stones, the Stones borrowed off Robert Johnson, Johnson borrowed from the Devil. Have Sympathy for your heroes.

"and if you want it baby, you can lean on me"
twentysixdollars
Known user

mbv wrote:
I didn't know both songs had the same chord sequence, I wonder if Jason did, either conciously or subconciously. Surely that fact alone is enough to make a connection? Not being a musician or knowing an E string from a G-String, :wink: I don't analyze music, I feel it in my head, my feet, heart etc.
I've always thought the songs had something to do with one another - after all if anything one Kate Radley was a huge Stones fan - but it's actually not quite so cut and dried. Though the chords appear in the same sequence Jason's cycles over F C G over and over whereas the Stones' version just happens upon that as such in the second line of the chorus:

[C]May the good lord shine a [G]light on you
Make [F]every song you [C]sing your [G]favorite tune

The Jagger/Richards tune moves a lot faster and has a lot of other turns. So I think in this case the chord changes might just be a coincidence, although maybe the key being the same is a tip of the hat on Jason's part. In the simple I IV V progressions that Jason usually restrains himself to, the F C G sequence was quite likely to appear at least once.

To say that this is a common chord change is a massive understatement. UK pop listeners will likely recognize it as the chorus of Oasis' b-side/single Acquiesce.
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

Make [F]every song you [C]sing your [G]favorite tune

I could never decipher the 'sing your favourite tune' part. thanks man!

Acquiesce is my favourite Oasis song too, funny that ...
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

"LET'S ALL MAKE BELIEVE" oasis b side. -phenomenal.

"GOATS HEAD SOUP" takes my money.

"Comin Down Again" sung by KEEF! hit me again.

"WINTER" wiff Billy Preston on piano...fookin' Genius.

regards.
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

Muscles wrote:"Comin Down Again" sung by KEEF! hit me again.

"WINTER" wiff Billy Preston on piano...fookin' Genius.

regards.
I though Mick sang it, I realise now I haven't played Goats for too fucking long. Winter is another Cali-for-niaaa Mick drawl classic, can't remember the other song he sings the word california in the same kinda way, something off Sticky Fingers?

I'll check that Oasis b-side. fookin great, man!
"Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going and don't slow down ... lets have a little fun ..."
- Hunter S Thompson
twentysixdollars
Known user

"Angie" is terrif. The rest of Goats Head isn't too special, I'd say.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Teardrops.

Get yerself a nice bottle of FRENCH WINE or CALIFORNIAN for that matter and give it another listen. "WINTER" could be my all time favorite STONES track. "HEARTBREAKER" or "CAN YOU HEAR THE MUSIC" luv it.

Not too popular but good "STAR FUCKER" ain't too shabby either.

Cop a buzz, turn it up. You will like it.

" da POLEECE in New York City, chased a boy cross the park... he died in the dirt in an alleyway...HEARTBREAKERS with their 44's!" doo do da da doo!

Pretty hard to compete wiff MICK n KEEF.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its kind of surprising to me more board contributors who are Stones fans haven't name checked Goats Head Soup. It is the most ethereal Stones release. Personally my fav track- Hide Your Love.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Spz is "SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST" worth having? I listened to it a few weeks ago but was way too fucked up to remember if I like it. Is it worth a trip to AMOEBA to get?

"HIDE YOUR LOVE" is good. ..."sometimes i'm up sometimes i'm down!"

"100 YEARS" is good too.

COME ON MAN! classic.

KEEF "slip my tongue in someone else's pie!, tastin' betta everytime, being hungry it aint' no crime...coming down again."

KEEF doing his best MICK!

for that it's worth it alone.

Got it on tape at AMOEBA for $2.50

AMOEBA I LUV YOU! :oops:
twentysixdollars
Known user

Muscles wrote:Spz is "SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST" worth having? I listened to it a few weeks ago but was way too fucked up to remember if I like it. Is it worth a trip to AMOEBA to get?
The question wasn't directed at me, but yes, I like it; it's one of the better Sgt Pepper clones, and I would definitely rank it higher than Ogden's Nut Gone Flake since it doesn't have the monologues and though the instrumental work is a little sloppy the songs, especially the ones nicked from Love, are pretty damned good.
10ent
Known user

Post by 10ent »

Getting back to Shine A Light.

Does anyone else think of helicopters/Apocalypse Now towards the end of the Fucked Up Inside version?
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

10ent wrote:Getting back to Shine A Light.

Does anyone else think of helicopters/Apocalypse Now towards the end of the Fucked Up Inside version?
Yeah.

Now back to the Stones:
Isn't it ironic that Aerosmith, a band that has based their whole sound/package on the Rolling Stones, is presently trying to foist musical garbage on the public without any respect or regard for their earlier work, much like the Stones have been doing for the past decade or so??

Speaking of the past, how about Sway (the one from Sticky Fingers)? Fucking genius!!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

That was the best reply I have read on this board in eons!

Might have something to do with the fact I am a huge Stones fan also.

I saw a CD by The Constantines called Shine A Light today. I though hmmm....nice title i'll give a listen. Big mistake. More regurgitated punk.