Music and money. What's the most you have paid for music?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Music and money. What's the most you have paid for music?

Post by runcible »

After recent discussion, this had to happen. As a former record and CD dealer I saw a fair few people pay lots of money for music. And I've done so myself. I sold a Spectrum/Stereolab 7" to someone for £300 (which is less than half of its true value). Good friend of mine actually.

But here's my sad list of over the odds payments:
AUS$140 (about £60). Monterey Pop Festival box set bootleg. 7 LP set. Great quality, beautiful packaging.
£80. Ladies and Gents 12 x 3" CD box with clear plastic. Not even a collectors item at the time!
£40. West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - A Child's Guide To Good and Evil. Original pressing. Worth every penny.
£38. The Deviants - Ptooff! Decca original.
£80. Spectrum/Stereolab 7". #1/25. The one all the other covers were made from.
£40 Walkin With Jesus Mayking Test Press.
£40. Royal Albert Hall video and CD promo box.
£40. Spectrum - California Lullabye 10". Swirly clear and black vinyl. One off pressing.
£30. Spacemen 3 - Forced Exposure 7", fully signed.
£30. The Damned - Damned Damned Damned with rare Eddie and the Hot Rods picture on reverse.

I got rid of the Damned LP - traded it with a band member for a mad collection of rare Damned 7"s to sell. Doh! Big regret now! I still have all the other stuff. Selling your own record collection is not recommended - I've been buying stuff back for years now.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Like the thread.

Right, off the top of my head:

£110 - Factory Sample dbl 7" complete with all 5 stickers. I cherish it.
£55 - Walking With Jesus 12" with insert
£55 - LAGWAFIS 12 x 3" set
£40 - How the Blues Shoulda Turned Out
£30ish - Joy Division - Ideal For Living 12" pic disc
£30ish - Soul Kiss LP (gel filled) Love it

Paid up to £25 for loads of other nice stuff too. All the Glass 12"s, Darkside's Psychedelicise Suburbia LP, Lazer Guided Melodies LP with 7".

Too many to mention! I'm sure there's some I've forgotten.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ooh - all nice stuff there Mr. F! Forgot about How The Blues Shoulda Turned Out CDs!

I think I once saw one of those Factory 7" things as it had a load of stickers and the thing was listed as being rare, but it was a lot less than that - I'm sure it was only about 20 quid. But we are talking at at least 12 years ago, dude, so don't go hanging yourself just yet.

I didn't buy it as I didn't really know what it was (now you can hang yourself!).
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Nice turn of phrase with the hanging remark! Made me chuckle.

Honestly Runc, the few copies I've seen on eBay over the last year or so with all the stickers have been going for well over £200 each time. One copy went for nearly £300.

I'd never sell it though. I'd never sell any of my collection, apart from new CDs I buy which turn out to be shite. And there's been quite a few of those!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Because I owned a shop i never really paid much for the music. The most I paid was probably from Runcible. But it was trade.
Sonic Boom Spectrum Japan Cd 40 quid
Walking W/Jesus 12" w/insert 35 quid
Transparent Radiation 12 ' 25 quid
Big City test press 22 quid
LGM long Sleeve shirt $40
Transparent Radiation UK poster 30 quid
Spacemen 3 Italian tour poster 40 quid
1973 Rolling Stones Cardiff Castle poster $350 (sold for $1000 w/no regrets)
Exile On Main Street giclee print signed by sleeve artist $200(frame was $300 go figure)

We could start a thread about the most expensive items we have sold. too Mr. Runcible.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote: We could start a thread about the most expensive items we have sold. too Mr. Runcible.
I already listed mine in the first post, except that was after I stopped dealing in music so maybe it doesn't count.

Apart from the Spectrum/Stereolab 7"s (which I recall you were hesitant about back then) I think someone paid £75 for a German pressing of The Damned's History of the World Pt. 1.

I sold a fair few things at £40-50 quid but never that much really.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I sold a real promo radio show of the Monterey Pop Festival to Vinyl Experience for 350 quid...CASH. Thank god he was a huge Hendrix fan.
West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band 1st LP wh/lbl promo for 100 quid
Flaming Lips Hit To Death Lp for 100 quid.
I know I am setting myself up for jokes galore here but i sold a Simple Minds collection I thought I would go to my grave with for 500 quid. It had lots of foreign pressing 7"s and Lps and some promo sweatshirts etc. I was floored when the collector made this offer. like found money!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

What's the most you have paid for music?

nice thread, indeed:

my answer is from a different point of view - my highest score is for my journey to Newcastle, Sage Gateshead.

about £30 for flying over (EasyJet sucks - for such a low quality it's still overpriced).
£25 for the first coach ticket to Newcastle, but i got delayed so i missed my ride.
another £30 for a next coach ticket, but then i realized the bad timing, so that was unnecessary ticket.
£87 for the trainticket to finally get to Newcastle and on time.
and about £20 for the concertticket.
plus staying in the hotel.

thats the highest price for the music i love.
so far...
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

but the recording of Island Arts Centre, Lisburn is FANTASTIC.
... talking about goosebumps.

my most expensive bought has been the LAGWAFIS pillbox.
the price - as usual, about 80 pounds. i guess thats because i got it finally around the last new years eve.

i wonder how much it will cost in 2010.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

The Jig wrote: after spending so much on nothing
words :lol:
action :twisted:
bying :shock:
selling 8)

accuracy
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ha ha veiko, that pales in comparison for the sageshead gig! but we made it!

as for albums, uhm, i'm usually the broke sort, but i have managed to dig deep on a few occasions-

joy division - love will tear us apart origianl 7" with the engraving $65.00
the smiths - gold album for 'hatful of hollow' - $250.00
jesus and mary chain - riot single $40.00
jesus and mary chain - upside down with vegetable man as the b-side, on creation records $55
spacemen3 - shit gang, can't remember the album title it was the 10" 2 album set?????? $30.00
the verve- singles collection on vimyl, 4 album set $40.00
bob dylan- biography vinyl box set $60.00

thats about it, and if anybody is curious about what it cost me to see spirtualized in newcastle about $3000!!

xxme
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

i've always been on a really tight budget so the aim of my record shopping's always been to get as much music as possible, but i think 40 quid for 'pacific ocean blue' is my most flash, and that was out of desperation! i've never sold any records.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Quality thread Runcible, well here goes.

Spectrum/Stereolab split 7" #3/25 £300

SP3 Forced Exposure T/P 7" #23 of 25 £100

SP3 Big City 12" I love You (remix) £60

SP3 Transparent Radiation 12" mayking T/P + proof sleeve/press sheet £40 (bargain!)

SP3 TMTTOS 12" mayking T/P £35

Sonic - Angel 12" acetate £30

Spectrum California Lullabye 10" red vinyl (one off I think!) £30, paid the same for a clear vinyl copy.

Sonic - Drone Dream 7" luminous £25

That's all I can think of at the mo, hope the wife doesn't see this list :!:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:
Spectrum California Lullabye 10" red vinyl (one off I think!) £30, paid the same for a clear vinyl copy.

Probably more common that the swirly black/clear vinyl copy I reckon.

(should have been a private message but I like to tweak noses in public occasionally)
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:
BVCP206 wrote:

Probably more common that the swirly black/clear vinyl copy I reckon.

(should have been a private message but I like to tweak noses in public occasionally)
How we laughed :!:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

sheesh, i never had or have a lot of money to spend on records/discs/etc.

i paid $50 for a Japanese laserdisc of The Sisters of Mercy "Wake"
found their 2nd single on CNT for $5 at a street fair - it's worth $50 easy

spent $35 for a Nick Cave concert ticket from a scalper
spent $40 for a Neubauten ticket from a scalper
spent $75 for a 3rd row seat at Radio City Music Hall for Gang of Four/Public Enemy/Sisters of Mercy

selling:
got $70 for a signed picture disc of the Dwarves' Blood Guts & Pussy

loads more i can't recall. i love a bargain more than a high-priced item.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Runcible, I did tell you about that Fac2 double 7":

20 quid my arse!

Have a gander

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K%3AMEWA%3
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

the most i spent was:
£ 125 AFX (aphex twin) Analord 10 with book/folder to keep the rest in
£ 80 Goodbye Babylon (a box of raw gospel from 20s-50s, in a wooden box, just beautiful)
£ 70 original Electric Ladyland Hendrix
£ 45ish for the first two Nuggets boxsets

nice thread!
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I came out of the dentist today and it's right beside a charity shop - so I popped in for a look.

In amongst a typical pile of charity shop vinyl fodder I found The Stone Roses debut LP for £2. Excellent condition and plays beautifully. I've got loads of Roses vinyl but never got around to picking the album up on LP, only CD.

It made my trip to the dentist worthwhile.
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

I'm ALWAYS broke and usually can find good deals on everything because I have to even on all my rare vinyl, but I had to spend $200 on the Jesus and Mary Chain Upsidedown 12" test press(CREO12T) with the still unreleased demo of Upsidedown on the B-side. The only other copy i'd seen sold for somewhere between $400-500 so I figured $200 wasn't bad and was what god invented credit cards for. Plus it is MINT, MINT, MINT!
I know that there is all kinds of rumors to how many were or were not pressed and also one that said that Alan McGee had 1000 of them done and would sell a batch when he was hard up, blah, blah, blah..........
talking about music is like dancing about architecture
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

£25ish quid for the full Feel So Sad CD set (ex condition).

About £40 to a Sage employee for the 2005 gig...then when my worse half left me I ended up selling the 2nd ticket for face value to someone much more worthy of the experience.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

$100 for Fucked Up Inside
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

flamingrev wrote:$100 for Fucked Up Inside
Whoa...I presume on record? Still worth it at the current £ / $ rate.

I think the most important thing is did it satisfy your requirements...when it comes to such a quality recording, I think that's the most important thing.

I paid around £15 for my vinyl, but it's slightly scuffed on the corners of the outer cover. I paid around £8 for the CD, though again although the disc was mint, the cover's corners were a bit scuffed. To be honest I don't know how to store a record, and use it, without that happening - hence I just keep all mine horizontal in decent packaging...but I think that's not the correct way either :?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

The single most expensive tiem is probably my LAGWAFIS 12 CD version, which was about £90, though I have some early My Bloody Valentine vinyls that probably came close.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I got my 12x3 LAGWAFIS CD thingy as a gift, so I guess that doesn't count.

The most I reckon I've spent is on buying and then framing the Let It Come Down in-store promtional thing that had 24 examples of the bas relief cover artwork in six rows of four. Probably £150-£160 all in, but money well spent in my book, and it always gets compliments from visitors to our house!

Otherwise there's not much above £40, although I did cough about £80 on the Artists in Residence Sigur Ros book and vinyl box set recently.

And my record splurge is £350+ for the Taschen special edition Curse of Lono singed by the late Hunter S Thompson and Ralph Steadman, that then turned out to be one of the special Artist's Press run and is in fact worth quite a bit more!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

duppyconquerer wrote:the most i spent was:
£ 80 Goodbye Babylon (a box of raw gospel from 20s-50s, in a wooden box, just beautiful)

nice thread!
Lovely set, the cotton is a very humbling touch I thought.

Most I've paid was a few years back for one of the fifty only pressed Big City 12" white label exclusive remix, £60 I think

best sale was for a Nine Inch Nails cassette! I used to know a plugger back in the days when cassettes were used as promos and he gave it to me, never played it forgot all about it and found it in the bottom of a box one day and thought I'd get a couple of quid, in the end it sold for £25 on eBay. Still makes me laugh.[/b]
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

mojo filters wrote: To be honest I don't know how to store a record, and use it, without that happening - hence I just keep all mine horizontal in decent packaging...but I think that's not the correct way either :?
mojo! the best way i have learned to store vinyl is by first using the protective sleeve THEN take the inner sleeve and the vinyl and put it behind the cover inside of the protective sleeve. this way you don't get ring wear or the busted up corners.

it's the second time i've said it and i think it fell on deaf ears. my vinyl is immacualte, a few people on the board can back me on that!

if you wanna clean your vinyl use a drop of soap in a cup, swoosh it around and take a fine cloth and go clockwise. forget all the solvents, they ain't worth it.

hope that helps.

me.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I'm real cheap when it comes to buying cds or vinyl. I'm not really into collecting at all- I just want to hear the tunes. But I get sucked into buying loads of cheap ones instead!

The most I've ever spent on one item is £60 on a Duane Eddy vinyl, first edition of 'Have Twangy Guitar- Will Travel'. It was a 55th birthday present for someone else...

Now gigs on the other hand, different story. I have made the effort of travelling to other continents to see rare performances or favourite bands/friends play. If you add up the flights and travel, hotel, food a tickets these adventures can add up to a tidy sum. Of course, you get to travel and see other countries too, so it's never just a gig experience. :D

So my question to the rest of you is;
What's the most anyone has ever spent on a gig?
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Most i paid for a ticket is £40 for a Brian Wilson show a few years back in Glasgow. Face value was £55. I'd have paid £100 for a ticket if i'd known the show was gonna be as good as it was! 8)

The expensive ones are those that have all the added extras... (Flights/drugs/accomodation/more drink than usual/occasional food/unexpected record shopping/t-shirts, etc)
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

I think the most that I paid for an album is $50 for a new old stock of Slow's "Against The Glass".