Scott Walker

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

Scott Walker

Post by simonkeeping »

Having a quiet day at work browsing the net.
I just realized I dont know anything about him.

All I do know is hes held in very high esteem by Bobby Guillespie.
I need to find out a bit more. Where do I start?

Which albums would you recommend?

cheers

si
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

a concise, and probably pretty flimsy and unreliable biography of scott walker:

scott engel was one of the walker brothers, who people occasionally call the first boy band. they did things like 'my ship is coming in' and 'the sun ain't gonna shine anymore' as well as ballads and covers and such. they were around for a while, then split, then reformed. all the while, scott was growing pretty disillusioned by fame. apparently in an interview, the walker 'brothers' got asked what their ambitions were, and while the other two said they wanted, whatever, a ferrari or a number one or whatever, scott said he wanted to become a human being. so, over a few years, scott, entranced by bergman films and jacques brel lps started to make his solo records, which went from being predominantly covers - scott to an lp of his own material - scott4. after that, there was some syrupy seventies countrified stuff, him disappearing for a while and returning in the nineties with avant garde soundtrack tilt. there should be a new lp out on 4ad this year or next, his first for quite a while.

there's probably too much biography there, too many of the rumours about his enigmatically reclusive lifestyle, but that's it really. lp-wise, if you can afford to do scott, scott 2, scott 3 and scott 4 in order then do, but if not, dip straight into scott4, it's terrific.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Nice one! cheers for that. Hmv is calling...
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Ive been listening to Scott 4 a lot recently. Lovely stuff
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I like the idea of Scott Walker.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

alright! scott walker. i recommend 'tilt'.

if you like the vocal stylings of scott walker, check out chris connelly, the album is called 'shipwrecked'.

also just so that the original poster can make a connection (besides our beloved bobby g.) scott produced the last pulp album.

x-y-z me
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

Scott 1, 2, 3, 4 and Tilt are exemplary albums, Climate of Hunter and 'Til The Band Comes In are borderline, the rest you don't need. Boy Child is a really good compilation if you want an easy in.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

yes the boy child compilation is what made me buy 123 and 4..
never really got into tilt..
mighty_scoop
New user

Post by mighty_scoop »

i think The Sun Doesn't Shine Anymore is a tremendous song...

I'd recommend Scott 4 or Tilt...but i love Scott thorugh to Tilt...

to the whore who stole my poems

veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

any comments on Scott Walker's recent release on 4ad Records "The Drift"?

http://www.the-drift.net/
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

Friends on http://www.electrical.com wrote:

"The Drift arrived this morning. On first spin it's much more abstract and fragmented than most of Tilt. It's a really dense and demanding listen (the track Clara lists 'meat punching' among the players' credits), at points almost nightmarishly intense with little of those (admittedly few) moments on Tilt that echoed the early solo work.

It's absolutely staggering that a 63 year old man could come up with something like this.

A demented, untouchable motherfucker."

"Just got The Drift. His vocal delivery is sounding more and more like Nick Cave's in the Birthday Party. Scott Walker, WTF? It's really very good. Easily the best new release I've heard for some time."

"I think The Drift is the best thing he's done. It is one of the best albums I have ever heard in my life. I cannot believe how great this album is. Cannot. Believe. It."

"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I find the Drift to be a very difficult listen. I read an interview with Walker in Magnet recently and he seems like a pretty strange dude. I absolutely love Scott 1 through 4, though. Definitely purchase all four if you can. If you buy a comp, you're sure to want to go back and get the albums.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

baz (mark II) wrote:LOVE Scott. BIG "Drift" fan here.
thanks Jane.

who else thinks that by listening to Scott Walker you can solve the mystery of Slowdive's "Pygmalion". my guess is that Neil Halstead discovered SW and that turned his head upside down and made him compose Pygmalion.
i'm not after being right or wrong, just buzzing....