The Band

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

The Band

Post by spzretent »

After the Dylan documentary thread can someone tell me how The Band has flown so under the radar all these years? I was trying to explain them to someone tonight. I said kind of like a more cohesive Dead without the hippies. But I dont think that does them justice.
I just bought the new 5CD box. I am at the end of disc 3 right now. What a body of work these guys left behind. I have always been a big fan but some of the song sketches and unreleased stuff is incredible.
And with the Dylan connection too! I'm sure the big Dylan fans on this message board have the Basement Tapes. That is one of my favorite Dylan Cds. It reminds a little of Exile on Main St. Kind of loose yet undeniably great.
I have a list of my top 25 records of all time and Music from Big Pink came in at #4 behind LGM#3, Neil Young Zuma #2 and Exile #1.
Just curious if there are any others into The Band?
Someone must care for them to put out a 5CD + DVD package like this. Complete with hardcover book too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
shifting_images
Known user

Post by shifting_images »

I know the band was a kick ass band, the movie "THE LAST WALTZ" was amazing, they were and still are respected by so many musicians bob dylan among the many......
I was thinking of picking up the boxset, didn't know if it was worth it, obvisouly it tis'.
!taking drugs to make music to take drugs to!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

it is so worth it BUT I dont think its the first thing i'd buy by them. After all it is $100 around here. I think Amazon has it for $72. Its a lot of money.
I'd start w/Music From Big Pink.
Then The Band, Cahoots, Northern Lights Southern Cross is way underrated too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

I play the first two records but although I don´t own a copy I prefer the last waltz versions of some songs - "dixie" for example has a better melody (one note is changed) on that one.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I tried to like them a few years ago. I got 'The Band', and the 'Basement Tapes' (prompted by a chapter in the Griel Marcus book 'Mystery Train').

I'm afraid to say I didn't really get it. I quite like some of the songs you understand - 'Tears of Rage' is great for one - but otherwise just a bit too *quaint* - and I've never picked cotton, lived on a levee, rode a boxcar or any of that stuff. I'm allergic to squeeze-boxes also.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

yeh ... i can't say i can really get on with the band so much. which dylan lps were they on? the electrics stuff from the mid sixties is amazing, same with the bootlegs, and the basement tapes, but i can't really get on with their own/the hawks stuff, from what i've heard. it's a bit of an amateurish stance, but, is hearing 'the weight' not doing them justice?
i have a list of my top 25 records of all time
wow ... not wanting to derail the thread, but can we have a look, spz?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the only dylan studio record the band played on was planet waves.

the only band stuff i listen to these days are the basement tapes and the first two records (and dylans 'albert hall' show). they are absolutely amazing (and one of, if not the, most important bands ever) beyond words really.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

jack white wrote:...important ...

grrrrrr.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i know, i know. hence the parenthesis. but they were at the centre of two of popular musics most significant climate changes so...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I love 'The Band' by The Band. Sadly thats all I have got around to listening to by them, so good to hear the rest of their albums are cool.

I love The Basement Tapes too. Who needs production? :D

I think I first heard of them through 'Deserter's Songs' by Mercury Rev...