Surround sound Spiritualized albums?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

govegan
New user

Surround sound Spiritualized albums?

Post by govegan »

Anyone else interested in DVD-A or SACD versions of any of the Spiritualized releases? I've been picking up albums by other artists in these formats for quite a while and some of the things I've gotten just don't deserve to sound as good as they do. I'd trade one of my less useful body parts for 5.1 versions of Spiritualized's back catalouge.

It seems like the kind of thing that the Jason from days past would have been all over - the chance to go back into the studio and tweak the albums into perfection.
govegan
New user

Post by govegan »

Hmmm. I guess that means I'm the only one who's interested. Maybe Jason would be willing to do a signed and numbered limited release of 1 just for me.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I think it would be AWESOME. I really like the Flaming Lips and Super Furry Animals surround sound mixes, and Spiritualized seems like a perfect candidate. Imagine pure phase shifting and phasing all around you! Let It Come Down could have some more space around all those instruments. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point a new Spiritualized release comes out in SACD or DVD-A, but it doesn't seem to be in Jason's nature to go back to an old album and fuck with it. It seems as though he spends a lot of time getting the sound exactly right to his ears, and once the album is finished it's DONE.

That's my speculatin', anyways.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

in that interview - perhaps in that magazine called something like stop smiling - he said that they'd tried amazing grace on super audio cd, and that it sounded great, but that it was too expensive. so i guess he tries it.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I don't know much about SACD and have never heard what they sound like in comparison to CDs.

I know that Hybrid SACDs are the only type that can play on normal CD players. Has anyone heard a Hybrid SACD album on a normal player?

If so I'd love to hear what you thought.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Why not try the 'Zaireeka' method
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Every SACD i've run across is a hybrid, I don't know if there are any non-hybrids out there, and it seems to be a big selling point of the media. SACD's sound just fine on a regular player, and on a SACD player they sound pretty fucking good. Very crisp, very nice. The new Super Furry Animals SACD is beautiful. The first SACD I bought after getting the player was Dark Side Of The Moon, because it was the only one I could find mixed for surround sound at the time. I loved DSOTM but had burnt myself out on it a long time ago. Hearing it in SACD made it like brand new. One thing I was confused about beforehand was the fact that some SACD's are mixed for surround sound (Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde") and some are mixed in stereo ("The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan") depending on how the artist feels that the mix best represents the work. Wether it's stereo or 5.1, there's a lot of depth to the mix and the clarity is stunning.

But it's not like God comes down and massages your eardrums or anything.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ironically my CD player died the week the Stones ABCKO reissues came out so I popped for a Sony CD/SACD/DVD player. The SACDs are clearly superior and this player was not that much more considering I could move my DVD player too. I think it was $225.
There are SACD only Cds. It seems like no new ones have come out in a while so maybe now everything is coming out hybrid. What always pisses me off is the selection of 5.1 or DVD audio cds. Its a much better selection than SACDs. Neil Young titles, Band titles. I do however have a Big Star #1/Radio City SACD that sounds superb. As do the aforementioned Stones reissues. And the Dylan ones I own. Which are both hybrids.
Man, I think all the Spiritualized CDS would benefit greatly form SACD treatment. Especially LICD from all the intricacies on that record. And all the trouble Jason went to recording it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
govegan
New user

Post by govegan »

anorthernsoul wrote:in that interview - perhaps in that magazine called something like stop smiling - he said that they'd tried amazing grace on super audio cd, and that it sounded great, but that it was too expensive. so i guess he tries it.
He said it was too expensive? Apparently he already forgotten about the 12 cd version of Ladies and Gentlemen. That wasn't exactly inexpensive.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

With this talk about SACD & DVDA, I made my first purchase of any of these formats this weekend.

I picked up New York Doll's 'Seven Day Weekend' on DVDA.

Now, I don't know whether it's because the recording is live and not a polished studio album, but I wasn't impressed at all with the sound quality.

I have a good 5.1 Technics 5-speaker Surround system too.

Bit of an anti-climax for me.