News

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

News

Post by simonkeeping »

If you havent had a look recently I would do...

nice
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

ah, yes! i read that late last night as i was nodding off. cheers, can't wait to see this.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

yeh, good skills ben and jase. nice to know that travellin blues is still going down good. my favourite willie mctell thing's 'this is not the stove to brown your bread', does anyone know which lp, collection, it's from?

some of those trikont cds are good too, one was playing before the sage gig i think.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Great stuff, wish I had some time to get my hands on all of this to listen to while I'm travelling...
anorthernsoul wrote:yeh, good skills ben and jase. nice to know that travellin blues is still going down good. my favourite willie mctell thing's 'this is not the stove to brown your bread', does anyone know which lp, collection, it's from?
I think it's on the 'The Definitive 'blind' Willie Mctell' box set (Catfish). Maybe on other albums too.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Just saw Jase in Hoxton Square with John Coxon. He looked in a fine figure of health. My mate said to me he wanted to lick his hand because he'd get really fucked from it.

Maybe you had to be there....
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

ha ha.
and ahhh, that's nice. there was something thighpaulsandra said about being back to work in october, i wonder whether spiritualized are doing stuff.

the treader thing's exciting, i'd only ever expected a little ep, but by the sounds of it everyone's expecting a full lp, uh huh?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Jase and Ben and the rest of course too, thanks for the script!
best time to get some nice recommended music.

Live in Royal Albert Hall will be enjoyed tonight, massively!

and yeah, Ben, new Black Dice album is wicked stuff...
(actually it's sad that their song called "Things will never be the same" is not a cover of Spacemen 3 song. that would have been a very-very strange version from Black Dice)

Ben, give us a date for the Jase solo record release. :roll: please.
ben crook
Known user

Post by ben crook »

I'll ask John when the release date is; lookout for it on the news page.

That new Black Dice record is great, agreed; can I recommend the new Animal Collective long player and the Moondog compilation on Honest Jon's too?

More news up this weekend...

ben
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Second the Reverend Charlie Jackson collection. Seriously good stuff there...

And Moondog! Way ...far ...out...there
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ya know sunny, i have two of the "definitive" blind willie box sets. one is a 2 disc set the other is a 3 disc set. neither have the track in question. i have also found about 10 or so other tracks online that are not on any collection i have ever seen.

apparently though, he would record under various names, blind sammy, cotton field boys, etc.

as far as the reverend charlie jackson is concerned i have searched high and low for this with no luck.

thanks for that link ben.

ohhh i knew it would only be a matter of time before jase would be name dropping that new dirtbombs collection. just got 'ultraglide' on vinyl, i think i wore out the cd. it's just sooo good.

xxme

xxme
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

a beautiful noise wrote:ya know sunny, i have two of the "definitive" blind willie box sets. one is a 2 disc set the other is a 3 disc set. neither have the track in question. i have also found about 10 or so other tracks online that are not on any collection i have ever seen.

apparently though, he would record under various names, blind sammy, cotton field boys, etc.
Hmm, that's weird. Now I'm going to have to troll through my entire record collection... when I get back. :?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Amazon lists it in the 'Statesboro Blues: The Early Years 1927-1935' CD
a beautiful noise
Known user

sorry and thanks sunny.

just in case you are interested sunny, one of the collections has a fantastic super slow version of 'southern can'. simply brilliant.

speaking of, i still can't fid a collection with the track "lay some flowers on my grave", thats possibly one of the greatest blues tunes of all time. definitely one of his key moments.

xxme
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

this is not the stove... and lay some flowers can both be found on the four disc collection "the classic years 1927-1940" on jsp records. i think amazon have it.
a beautiful noise
Known user

ahhhh the four disc collection, of course!!!

thanks fuzz.

xxme :?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

a beautiful noise wrote: as far as the reverend charlie jackson is concerned i have searched high and low for this with no luck.

xxme
Shonn, try for it on Amazon, about twelve pounds over here...
ben crook
Known user

Post by ben crook »

Another film worth checking out at the London Film Festival is New York Doll about Arthur Killer Kane. Should be good if that's your thing.

http://www.lff.org.uk/films_details.php?FilmID=781

ben
a beautiful noise
Known user

thanks bza. i think i will go directly through the site, seems right.

but yeah thanks.

xxme
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I assume amazon ensures the artists, whose music its sells, get a cut. Surely. At least, as much as any other global corporate behemoth...
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

a beautiful noise wrote:ya know sunny, i have two of the "definitive" blind willie box sets. one is a 2 disc set the other is a 3 disc set. neither have the track in question. i have also found about 10 or so other tracks online that are not on any collection i have ever seen.

as far as the reverend charlie jackson is concerned i have searched high and low for this with no luck.

thanks for that link ben.

ohhh i knew it would only be a matter of time before jase would be name dropping that new dirtbombs collection. just got 'ultraglide' on vinyl, i think i wore out the cd. it's just sooo good.

xxme

xxme
try here http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... 5907&BAB=M

Its a great record
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

BzaInSpace wrote:I assume amazon ensures the artists, whose music its sells, get a cut. Surely. At least, as much as any other global corporate behemoth...
i think blind willie mctell is dead.
a beautiful noise
Known user

yeah jack, you're right he is dead.

ya know i heard a wonderful story from the guy that owns folk art records here in san diego. he told me that he was in florida back in the late fifties maybe early 60's and he saw willie mctell playing out front of a restaurant for tips. he said he couldn't believe that they were listening to a blues legend while people tossed a nickel into his case!

once again, if anybody out there is looking for something rare in the blues/jazz/folk era, check out this place. i can't recommend it enough.

xxshonn
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

anyone heard Beefhearts "little scratch"?

Its on an Anthology (THE DUST BLOWS FORWARD) and Ive got most of the tracks on it already. Dont want to shell out really but if its a beauty I may have to. Is it another "big eyes Beans"?