Cheapster single.......any news?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

little me
New user

Cheapster single.......any news?

Post by little me »

The press/publicity I've read about this keep directing me to the website but there is no mention...am I missing something really obvious or what?

Has anyone got any information on how to get hold of it yet?

Please please pretty please (its a present for somebody special....)
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Cheapster Single news

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Oh, go on then, as you asked nicely - NME have just posted this:

http://www.nme.com/news/107296.htm

SPIRITUALIZED star JASON PIERCE is to customise copies of the band’s new single 'CHEAPSTER'.

The special edition one-track single is released on February 16. Only 500 singles will be manufactured, each one individually numbered with customised hand drawing on the artwork by Pierce.The single will only be available via the band's website, spiritualized.com, and will cost 99p.

The band will also play 18 dates in January and February promoting their latest album ’Amazing Grace’.

The tour will call at:

* Belfast Mandela Hall (January 16)
* Whitehaven Civic Hall (17)
* Glasgow Barrowlands (19)
* Aberdeen Lemon Tree (20)
* Newcastle University Of Northumbria (21)
* Leeds Metropolitan University (22)
* Liverpool Carling Academy (24)
* Manchester Ritz (25)
* Nottingham Rock City (26) Norwich UEA (27)
* Folkstone Leas Cliff Hall (29)
* Reading University (30)
* Cardiff University (31)
* Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall (February 2)
* Exeter Lemon Grove (3)
* Southampton University (4)
* Oxford Brookes University (5)
* London Forum (6)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

ooh that sounds rather appealing. i like the idea of a funky limited edition 7". shame there's no unreleased b side, but a step in the right direction after the objectionably dull she kissed me single.
little me
New user

Post by little me »

Exactly...read the NME thingy and it sends u here..read the record company website and it sends you here..but i've looked all round the website and i can't even find a mention of it...thats why I asked if i was missing something obvious........ :shock:

so I guess its keep 'em peeled and wait for it to appear on 'news'....?
leafage
New user

Post by leafage »

hi, i'm totally new to this forum lark so may be doing this totally wrong. The whole concept of the "Cheapster" single sounds great, but with only 500 available are they all gonna be snapped up before we even know any details (I'm still smarting over missing the suede album shows last year). So is there any details yet?
davemellor
New user

Post by davemellor »

Come on Spiritualized, give us a clue.
is there no way to pre-order the single?
is it released at midnight that night?
If i miss out i am gonna kill myself......
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Don't worry - one thing I've learnt from watching spiritualized.com over the years is when they've got a product to sell, they update the website. I'm sure they'll post details soon.

It's interesting to compare the spiritualized and mogwai official websites.
- Spiritualized - long periods with no updates, run by the record company, no input from Jason...
- Mogwai - updated a few times a week, run by the band (mostly Stuart and Dominic), and an insane amount of interaction with fans (Q&A section).
float1ng1nspace
Known user

Post by float1ng1nspace »

"The special edition one-track single is released on February 16. Only 500 singles will be manufactured, each one individually numbered with customised hand drawing on the artwork by Pierce.The single will only be available via the band's website, spiritualized.com, and will cost 99p. "

Why is it when I first read this that I pictured Jason sitting down at a desk and drawing with crayons on 500 cd covers?....if thats the case, draw mine with a birthday cake on it, as i was born on feb. 16.

-float1ng1nspace
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

The Moonflowers did something similiar to this with their album Hash Smits and the 12" single "Brothers and Sisters". Juse splodged a mess of paint on a blank, white 12" cover. Looks OK though!
Binded Ambition
New user

Post by Binded Ambition »

Unfortunatley i was to young to see you perform in Spacemen 3. However, i did think back to the gigs from Spiritualized past when we all sat down to witness this marvel. When you released the very limited 'Fucked up inside', available only by mail order, i didnt hesitate in the slightest in obtaining a copy fof myself. Now we are in the 21st century and i must get hold of your personalised 'Cheapster single' available only on your website.
It's 2A.M the lights are on the music plays my mind is gone, i'm miles away within my head cant take the pace i'm safer in bed!
oli23
New user

Post by oli23 »

Just been looking at the HMV website at CWII and they have Cheapster exclusivly avaliable to pre-order. Don't know when it went up but I got mine so there seems to be some left. Hope this helps you all. :o
hopin', prayin', Lord, i'm sayin'
i believe my time ain't long
sonic chronicler
New user

Post by sonic chronicler »

This is a bit of a wierd one about this single.

There is mention above about it being a 7"

HMV are listing it as a one track CD available exclusively from them for 99p

Amazon have it listed for £3.99

What gives anyone?

Sonic
:?:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

From Aversion.com -

http://www.aversion.com/news/news_artic ... ws_id=1914

Want a unique piece of Spiritualized memorbilia -- unique as in its dictionary-definition of truly individual and one of a kind?

If so, you'd better get your hands on Spiritualized's latest U.K. single, "Cheapster." The one-track single, limited to 500 copies, will be hand numbered by Spiritualized front man Jason Pierce. Its cover art will also feature an original hand-drawn illustration by Pierce.

-------------

so its the number that will be individually customised, rather than the artwork itself? I gues that makes more sense. Still no inidcation of how you can buy it from this site though, but it does seem to be on sale from HMV...
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Interested parties should head over to

http://www.spiritualized.com/news/

..for information. The advert is confusing - it lists it as one track, but also supplies a b-side. A live version of Rated X (evidently and bewilderingly the album's most popular song) is that b-side. The link prompts for an email address and then links to the HMV listing. American consumers will have to work out whether this item is worth about $8 all told as a keepsake.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

thanks for the info, and $8 is a good investment says me. i've seen those broken heart inst cds going for over $50, and if this one has rated x as a b side then it's worth is almost infinite :wink: -->

what's the main problem with rated x might i ask? i can see your criticisms of the songs that sound like electricity, but rated x surprises me. to me it's the standout track from AG, especially live.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Well as you well know I'm of the opinion that there's nothing too special on Amazing Grace after Richie Lee. Rated X seems really undercooked to me. There's a bit of barely on-key instrumental noodling, but nothing gels into a solo, and even the horn lines at the end wander a little without going anywhere. I find some of the noises cluttering the first and last bit pretty irritating. The middle section, the 'song' proper, is essentially a re-write of Ballad of Richie Lee in the major key instead of the minor. I don't mind it, I just don't see how it's a highlight. The live versions I've witnessed have been improvements but nothing brilliant. I do prefer it to, say, Lord Let It Rain On Me, or Lay It Down Slow, or (obviously) Cheapster, but I think there are better songs on AG (Richie Lee, Never Goin' Back, She Kissed Me, Power and the Glory, Hold On).

Anyway I really shouldn't be critcizing since I ordered one anyway.
Eric's Trip
New user

cheapster

Post by Eric's Trip »

I followed the process from the news page and ordered mine just now. Brilliant. Also think Rated X is great... and Lord Let It Rain On Me..
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Hmmmm. Says on the News page it's a "special edition" of the single - does that mean we'll also get a regular release?
Silent Corner/Empty Stage
Known user

Post by Silent Corner/Empty Stage »

Well, just ordered mine. I'm one of the poor Americans who has to fork out $8.00 for a single he'll never listen to. Oh well, I tend to pick up everything I see (cept the She Kissed Me single, what an insult.) At least this single will have real eBay value later on down the line if nothing else!
Splats
New user

Cheapster ltd edition

Post by Splats »

Just ordered mine from HMV as directed from the link on the news page.

However, on the news page it says it retails at 99p to cover post & packaging, but HMV charged me 99p for the cd and £1 for p&p. What gives??

Is this another scam along the lines of the BPI making CD WOW charge and extra £2 for CDs??
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

That's your lot, HMV site now says single unavailable ! :cry: