Verve message board

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

porkchop
Known user

Verve message board

Post by porkchop »

does one exist? can someone post the link?
thanks. I'm lookin for some live gigs.

--Porkchop
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Where is Beatles band? This band who have not been as of late clear of circumstance. Beatles Band! Can we no longer hear there medolious throng? John! Paul! All in Beatles Band come forth! What question have we to put? Now? Arguments neccessary can begin with whole results expected for any return. Ringo! Here in Thailand Beatles band experience is long loved and can be hurt away from John, Paul etc. Please give any news to Samuel K. Amphong of address similar to above. yours as in rock!

Samuel K Amphong, Thailand
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

try signing up at the forum in ashcroftunofficial.co.uk, the best ashcroft/verve community i've aware of... i've got a few gigs too that i could send you if you use aim

jesse
appledelphy
Known user

Re: Verve message board

Post by appledelphy »

porkchop wrote:
I'm lookin for some live gigs.
If you have a decent connection and a dvdburner you can go here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=74587

camden town hall 92-10-23 proshot dvd soundboard audio

and Frankfurt -94 with a little lower quality

they have a max of 100.000 users but accounts get deleted every day so if you keep trying you´ll probably get in..

@samuel
me (I) thinks them not recourded since 1995! so lacey!
and other thing are: yogi was dead! :( = they could not! play electic guitar no more! no! :(
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i've kind of gone off the verve, but surely the stuff coming out on the new ashcroft lp will shut the door on the idea of him being a credible artist ... it's so bland.

i peeked in at that forum after his single came out, everyone's more arsed about his hair on the promo photographs, and how it's the return of rock and roll. and all that shit.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

I can´t hum two notes from any of his solo work, and I´ve almost managed to forget all about the reunion and the huh?!-record..

drones
Known user

Post by drones »

anorthernsoul wrote:i've kind of gone off the verve, but surely the stuff coming out on the new ashcroft lp will shut the door on the idea of him being a credible artist ... it's so bland.

i peeked in at that forum after his single came out, everyone's more arsed about his hair on the promo photographs, and how it's the return of rock and roll. and all that shit.
It was always going to go that way though, wasn't it. They just managed to make Northern Soul and no more... I think they had to lighten things a little after that i.e. Urban Hymns and Mad Richard' (anyone know how he's mad?) solo stuff. Hence the emergence of gripping "flute and pan-pipe solos"...Oh right, so that's how he got that "Mad Richard" title.

Anyway, a suggestion would be, for him to kidnap McCabe, take him to a recording studio, lock him in turn the lights off, press record and shout "BOO!!!" at him...say at hourly intervals. Voila, stage one complete. Then unbeknown to him, Jason Pierce could snatch his missus (and kid if he was in a paternal mood) and dissapear off planet earth. Causing Ashcroft to write "proper" songs again. Voila, stage two complete.
Stage 3 would be a contractual fullfilling right to embark on a neverending Lollapalooza tour and I mean neverending!

You might get a couple of toe-tappers from that.

I think his hair was at its best in the Bitter Sweet video, i think he'd had the shiny serum on it.
I only feel right
with a football at my side
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

In my opinion that new song is a load of pap. Seems to be slightly less overweight than the last stuff. He needs to stop this 'love this' and 'love that' nonsense and start hating stuff a bit more.
Paint the night in colour. No . Hate the night in Sepia more like.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i can't see the fun in losing jason pierce to spice up richard's drab solo career ...

there's bits of his solo stuff that are o k, like 'leave me high', but ... who's arsed really. it's even got to that morrissey-esque stage of him writing songs about journalists saying he doesn't know what he's doing, rather than writing songs.

the thing that gets me about the verve stuff is, now he's kind of bland, it just seems as if he smeared himself all over the tracks, which seemed alright at the time but ... now it all seems a bit jim morrison.

there's just so much better music that your twelve ninety nine could buy.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i've seen his solo stuff in dollar bins here and left them. not worth the dollar.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Agree the single is very poor. but apparently this new album is a return to form -according to this interview anyway - [don't they always say that in interviews?]. One thing fror sure, his ego will continue to eclipse his record sales...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... ixtop.html
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

What we really need is a Samuel K Amphong message board.

Nice to see you back Samuel. It must be 20 years?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I heard the last half of an interview on Front Row, BBC Radio 4, Friday I think it was... (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks ... ontrow_fri this will only work if I've got the day right... and it will only work until THIS Friday, ok?).

I think he thinks he's really great. The rest of us liked the guitarist, I guess.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

drones wrote:...I think they had to lighten things a little after that i.e. Urban Hymns and Mad Richard' (anyone know how he's mad?) solo stuff. Hence the emergence of gripping "flute and pan-pipe solos"...Oh right, so that's how he got that "Mad Richard" title....
He was definately "Mad Richard" from back in the days when they were just "Verve". I think people (Andrew Collins era NME) thought he looked a bit... mad.

Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Whoooa bohemian rhapsody on blotters

Mamma mia mamma mia let me go, magnificoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

Anyone seen his live half-hour on VH2. I caught the last 7mins of it, last night, some blabber and then a solo-acoustic version of History. Anyone else seen it and is it worth a half-hour of my time.
Forgot how odd the "Song for the Lovers" video was....
Ok, all this talk of his new stuff being a bit naff...the guy can seriously belt a tune...
I can't decide when they had it "on the money"...parts of Storm in Heaven are awesome, mind blowing, the same with A Northern Soul...but where did the Groove go, with Urban Hymns?
What they did do around about Urban Hymns time, was create some crackin' B-sides...So Sister, Make it to Monday etc etc....well two.
I only feel right
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

drones wrote:...the guy can seriously belt a tune...

Aye, just the one though, innit?

Curious to think when it was they lost it.

I loved the first two records, and all the singles and b sides... I loved hearing Bittersweet Symphony on the radio... but somehow, in between buying Urban Hymns and getting it home, I lost interest. I really couldn't say I've actually listened to it all the way through (Oh, I've HEARD it, but I wasn't really paying attention...).
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

IMO they kinda messed up on Urban Hymns, they failed to include that sinister groove they had on Storm and Northern and instead, replaced it with strings.
I remember the music press, during the time of Storm and Northern, frequently using the term(s) "wig out", so I guess they tossed the wig out, during the recording of Urban Hymns.
As for beltin' a tune, live (sorry I only have two reference points Irvine Beach 1995/6: with Sleeper, Cast and Oasis; Barrowlands: not long after release of Urban Hymns and I believe the last Scotish Gig), they could cut it.
I still think that "A New Decade" is the best opening track i've heard at a gig.

The problem I had, aint listened to it in a long while, with Urban Hymns, was that it was pure pub/student union jukebox music. I got excited when his first solo work/album came out...that quickly passed.
I only feel right
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'm certain I posted this before but there is an early recording of Urban Hymns which is more "sinister" that what was eventually released. Oddly enough it was none other than Jason who told me this.
I did wind up w/an alternate version of UH but I dont think it was the version Jason was talking about. It isn't that radically different.
I also think the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of one Richard Ashcroft for the lame change of direction on what became the released version of UH.
As a matter of fact they were playing Come On and The Rolling People on Lollapalooza 1994 and they were stormers. Really aggressive.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I want to hear "Sinister" Urban Hymns.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

aye, me too!

does anyone know any more on this?
i must hear it!

on a similarish note, someone informed me that the new coldplay album was originally actually quite experimental..all glitched up and stuff, but when the band realised they couldn't play it live they decided to record over..hahaaaa
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

they failed to include that sinister groove they had on Storm and Northern and instead, replaced it with strings.

By George I think he's got it!
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

Seems to be the way Mad Dick wants to go. It was no coincidence that Coldplay and himself are spoke of in the same topic, now they both have alligned themselves in the "coffee-house/coffee table" music category.
I've been trying to give Dick the benefit of the doubt...but after dosing myself with The Verve back catalogue yesterday and today, there are cracks appearing in that...
If only there had been more of the likes of the psychosis fuelled "A Northern Soul", from A Northern Soul or Blue or Butterfly or Gravity Grave or A New Decade or This is Music...and to some extent Come On and Rolling People...instead after the penning and subsequent single release of History...it's just went...
Dissapointing, but I'm sure and in a similar vein, the same can be said of Spiritualized, after Pure Phase and LAGWAFIS...what has happened since then?
Never mind, thanks for the memories...
I only feel right
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

on a side not I too brought out some old Verve yesterday and my lord, Voyager One still rips my head off. Astonishing live stuff.
And weirdly Urban Hyms sounded somewhat better than i originally thought. Still pretty wide of the mark the first two set tho'.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

ITV were using a claissc Verve track - Gravity Grave I think - for a trailer last night. Took me right back

Perhaps the drugs do work, and they should never have stopped - if Urban Hymns is the result of a straight head. Come on now people, where's your commitment.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I think the problem with Ashcroft is that he has no real idea how to arrange a song. Yes, he can get a melody and a few chords together, but his songs suffer under the weight of his strings, vocal overdubs and brass that he doesn't need. Imagine if he recorded the drugs don't work in 2002 rather than 1996/7-would it have turned into complete syrup heaving with stupid bassy vocal lines that he seems so keen these days. What he needs (and obviously doesn't get anymore) is a band to jam his songs for hours and hours.

McCabe, now he can arrange a song. Although Urban Hymns has the least 'Nick' of all the Verve records, his playing is still total revelation to me. Amazing.

Does anyone else agree that the first verse of Break The Night With Colour makes absolutely no sense? Unlike History, BTNWC isn't really charming enough to get away with it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't make sense at all:

Fools they think I do not know
The road I'm taking
If they meet me on the way
Hesitating
That is just because I know
Which way I will choose

What?

On a different note, I agree that Urban Hymns isn't quite a masterpiece like Storm or Northern Soul, but it's a damn fine album. I think a lot of the songs DO have pretty thick grooves to them and the overall production, if a little slick, is quite pleasing. I listened to Weeping Willow a week or so ago after taking a long break from that album and was pretty blown away by it.
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

I interpret that opening verse as him...and i have a kinda mental picture of him, stopping (hesitating) as he is amazed that he finally knows the path/road he's taking.....obviously not to the crossroads, to meet beezlebub!

And I heard it come on the other day and thought, "must be Robbie' new tune!"

Yeah, i agree, give the kids what they want and they want the Verve/Richard drug/psychosis fuelled, snarling and shaking at the same time.

C'mon to fcuk, at least suffer for your Art.
I only feel right
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="drones"]
Yeah, i agree, give the kids what they want and they want the Verve/Richard drug/psychosis fuelled, snarling and shaking at the same time.
quote]

From afar, it seems like people grow up. He unfortunately grew out of the snarling and heavily drug influenced phase. It nearly did him in on Lollapalooza. There is no way in hell he could have continued at the pace. He'd be dead.

I guess we are lucky to have gotten 2 1/2 great records out of them.
I have no interest in his solo career.
will this do ?

Post by will this do ? »

spzretent wrote:I guess we are lucky to have gotten 2 1/2 great records out of them.
I have no interest in his solo career.
A-fuckin-men.

(do you not have to log on to here anymore? That's just asking for trouble, surely?)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i have a froum on my verve site

astorminheaven.com. it's not very active though
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]

Post by Guest »

drones wrote:Anyone seen his live half-hour on VH2. I caught the last 7mins of it, last night, some blabber and then a solo-acoustic version of History. Anyone else seen it and is it worth a half-hour of my time.
Forgot how odd the "Song for the Lovers" video was....
Ok, all this talk of his new stuff being a bit naff...the guy can seriously belt a tune...
I can't decide when they had it "on the money"...parts of Storm in Heaven are awesome, mind blowing, the same with A Northern Soul...but where did the Groove go, with Urban Hymns?
What they did do around about Urban Hymns time, was create some crackin' B-sides...So Sister, Make it to Monday etc etc....well two.
sorry to be the pedant but "make it 'til monday" was "on a storm in heaven".
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

No by all means be ostentatious....and yeah, i know...got it confused with another b-side with a day or a number in it...

"sunday seventeenth of september, nineteen hundred and seventy seven"

what a B-side and the remix: SUN.17.09.1977...f@#in' slammin'
I only feel right
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

not sure why I'm posting this...another ashcroft interview. I'm embarrassed for him. While he wont accept the accolode of greatest singer in the world (come now, no false modesty please), he's still happy to compare himself to Dali, and er, Jesus. Oh, and apparently he broke up the verve.

Give me strength.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_ob ... _page.html
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

I won't read it, it'l be pish journalism, typical of the DR. Anyone got any opinion on his new "back to his best" offering?
I only feel right
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

He cant be 'back to his best' as he's never been at his best in a solo capacity. Its all been shite apart from a handful of tunes.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Already There
Known user

Re:

Post by Already There »

will this do? wrote:
drones wrote:...I think they had to lighten things a little after that i.e. Urban Hymns and Mad Richard' (anyone know how he's mad?) solo stuff. Hence the emergence of gripping "flute and pan-pipe solos"...Oh right, so that's how he got that "Mad Richard" title....
He was definately "Mad Richard" from back in the days when they were just "Verve". I think people (Andrew Collins era NME) thought he looked a bit... mad.

I absolutely adore old Verve.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

I'd get aff wi those lips
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

wow this thread is like 5 years old.. why was it bumped??