The official guitarloops appreciation thread

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

It wasnt me Will. I moved on from the grater ages ago. I find the business end of a fish slice give optimum sensation minus the inevitable chafing.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
stodmeister
Known user

Post by stodmeister »

I have watched with interest and amusement at the post regarding these CD.

I received my copy over the weekend and managed to preview it on Saturday night.I have to say it real heavy going and in fact I didn't manage to get even half way through.

It sounds to me like a crowd of Papua New Guineanians sitting in a temple and grooving with a cheese grater.

I've a pretty open mind when it comes to music but I guess the main word here is "music" which is what this certainly is not.

Everyone has the right to experiment in music and I certainly had a choice whether to but this or not but I feel sadly let down by this piece of work.

Ah well must get back to listening to Suicide played backwards through 25 effects pedals at the bottom of a mine.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Copy #276 has made its way to the Gaspé region of Québec and is currently spinning somewhere around the 15 minute mark. Sorry if someone has already said this, but at this stage I keep waiting for someone to start repeating "number 9, number 9..." A pretty pedestrian reference point, I know, but there you have it...

Anyway, speaking as someone who doesn't generally seek out these types of sounds, I don't find it to be "unlistenable" per se (well, maybe some parts...), but in all honesty, I don't know how often I'll actively put it on the stereo... Besides, I think it will seriously freak out the pets!

I do really like/appreciate the artwork though... and I was touched by the fact that my envelope was hand written... The people at Treader are obviously very dedicated to the cause...

Hmm, it's getting better around 18 mins... Will give it my full attention this evening.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

[quote="will this do?"]
Din din din dind din dnin din din din din din dnindni dnindididid ndi dnid i ndnnid ndind ndind ndin dnind ndind nidn ind ndii ind dnidn dnidn dnidn din din din din din din dindin ind ind din din din din din din din din din din din din din dind din dnin din din din din din dnindni dnindididid ndi dnid i ndnnid ndind ndind ndin dnind ndind nidn ind ndii ind dnidn dnidn dnidn idndind idn idin din din din din din din din din din din dindin ind ind din din din din din

hi, i'm sort of new here.
the pigeon has landed with a thud in my mailbox.
the first 15 minutes i was totally thrilled, didn't know WHAT you guys were complaining about, this is the kind of stuff i listen to anyway- but then the mosquito chorus started in- i was blind but now i see: it kind of hurts your ears.
but i do love it and i don't think you have to be artwanked to appreciate it, even though at times it sounds like the kid next door using his guitar to yell at you at naptime while also drowning out some really nice balinese field recordings.
i will keep listening to this until i run out of aspirin, and i just mean for the 2nd half. i think the first half is one of the most lovely things i've heard, Ever.
bravo to jason for not putting out what everyone wanted to hear.

it makes a bit more sense altogether 2nd and 3rd listen.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"i think the first half is one of the most lovely things i've heard, Ever."

Really?

I just got this today. Listened to it for 20 minutes, stopped it and put it on the shelf. I'm going to pretend that it's a really pretty "Get Well" card from Spaceman and just forget that there's a CD in it. At one point I had all of the EAR stuff, and Metal Machine Music. Nowadays I don't have the time for this shit. At least it was one take and so it didn't take a lot of time away from recording the next Spiritualized release.
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

it scared the living Bejesus out of my cats.
russg

Post by russg »

throb wrote:it scared the living Bejesus out of my cats.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

brilliant - mild stroke of genius. Ignore every single other post on this thread, cos this is the only one that matters
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

now I really want it.. my cats have been so cocky lately.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

My cats too - maybe there's something in the air. Do Cats like free form improv craziness? Could use guitar loops as punishment or reward depending on how i (or they) feel. . .

It's my birthday today too!! Hooray for me :)

Post by Guest »

of course cats like jazz! have you not seen the 'artiocats', they thrive on this shit, it's in their blood. They don't call em jazz-cats for nothing.

Post by Guest »

is it the same for jazz-mags? :roll:
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

... finding hastily discarded copies of 'Guitar Loops' in the woods... :lol:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i too got mine today and you know... i dont see what the fuss is about. maybe my experience of it was already nullified somewhat due to reading reactions on here, but it certainly didnt raise such a level of distaste (or pleasure) as has been posted on here. a lot of it just really inspires an "eh" if not mild annoyance.

disappointing. i dont really see the point in much of it. but it is interesting. eh.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Oh, to be fair, I wasn't OUTRAGED by it... or even puzzled. Bored, blah blah... maybe I'll play it again.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
Chaza
Known user

Post by Chaza »

After reading this thread, I had low expectations, so when I got the cd in the mail yesterday, I was surprised that it was pretty interesting, and that is exactly what I initially expected, so I'm happy with it.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

"Jazz is just a series of mistakes without the 'oops.' "
- Nigel Tufnel
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

SpaceLine wrote:"Jazz is just a series of mistakes without the 'oops.' "
- Nigel Tufnel
Who? Is that Phil's brother?! :wink:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the covers even too thick to use as roach material.
HTM

Guitarloops=Bollocks

Post by HTM »

My copy made it all the way here to Melbourne arriving yesterday, which surprised me given the usual delays with SP3 and Spiritualized mail orders. Nice sleeve and autograph etc, but the "music" is utter bollocks, sadly.......

Post by Guest »

1st post for people that don't post don't like it, what a surprise. Don't let it cloud judgements if you havn't got it yet. ...waiting for something pointless by an arch-prick, will(?),

the individual?

this is a brilliant recording.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Has anyone across the pond heard it yet?
Don't feel disillisuoned, this is good. *waiting for uptight people that have already responded negatively to respond again*
It's not as unlistenable as the response here may make out.
Last edited by duppyconquerer on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

This album is totally listenable, it's just that when I listen to it I want to throw rocks at the stereo.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

bah! unlistenable.

c'mon people, it's not half as bad as some of you have made out.

it's actually quite interesting. i found myself lost in jason's head.

i like the bell sounding bit at about 6:38 in. that's just great.

sorry, i'm an art-wanker!

xxme
kubisuro
New user

Post by kubisuro »

GL is a trip. Reminded me of recent Spring Heel Jack (how could it not?) and I enjoyed it on first-play. I really love it when the art of music is pushed beyond anything regular, where patterns aren't very recognizable but nonetheless there. Very intriguing. I can't really say much more than what my gut reaction is because there isn't really much to compare this against. However, I will say that SHJ is quite a bit more re-playable!

I was certainly expecting less abstract, though.

Nonetheless, Spaceman is genius in any case.

For that crazy US vs UK war -- I am an American ;-).
- Ryan M
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

a beautiful noise wrote:i found myself lost in jason's head.
well said! i agree with that for sure. i think it feels really intimate in that sense.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

u_nderscore wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote:i found myself lost in jason's head.
well said! i agree with that for sure. i think it feels really intimate in that sense.
Ha! Double quote! Well, I feel like being abit 'art-wankerish', so I'm going to say it's the texture the sound creates that draws me in, and it is indeed a personal work. I actually think there's alot more there than it may first seem, and I liked it straight on first listen. I think the beggining builds up, deliberately unsettling to 'jolt' the listener, but once you are in it you are lost. After around 13 minutes until the end it is awesome.
WARNING: If you find Guitar Loops 'difficult' don't even consider listening to the Prevost one. This is an exceptional piece of art that flawed me. And far all the 'cheese grating' comments on GL, Wales does actually 'play' sticks, glass, shells, pebbles and stuff. But they have created something completey other-worldly. :shock: :wink:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

For all the art-wank fans who haven't got a copy yet, just seen this on E-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/J-SPACEMAN-Spirit ... dZViewItem
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

So people were buying two to sell one eh . . .

This album keeps getting better. As far as intimacy goes there's a massive array of levels. The shaker suff sounds very intimate like it's close by. Then there's the detachedness of what sounds like a guitar that's not plugged in. And the distance of what sounds like a church bell chiming (but is no doubt guitar work). And gallons of stuff that lies inbetween. Somehow that church bell sound then get's whipped away and incorporated into the clanging scatty bit (shall we call it the main theme? - it's as close as the record has to one) which is an effect i'm lovin.

Not sure about being in jason's head though - sounds a bit wierd . . .

I'm finding increasing layers of melody and rhythm (sp?) too. I guess you just have to work a bit harder for it than usual.

Anyone know how it was done? Judging by the title it must have been one of those newfangles loop pedals that matt elliott and the like use.

Post by Guest »

I keep saying this, but it really does sound, at least, that the SHJ guys had a hand in it. It wasn't isn't just one man and his guitars obviously. SHJ sometimes do a live thing then add bits and changes in the studio. The production took longer than they thought, so I'm wondering if spaceman did it himself. All the rest in the two series were done by coxon and wales so i'd be surprised if this wasn't, but this is the only release out of the six that has no more info. Not even who recorded it. Dunno tho.
Anyone got the others? If you like this you should give em a try. See my above comment on the Prevost, and the rest on maybe the last page.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

that was me!
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

John Lennon's Wedding Album:

When preview copies of the album were sent out prior to release the two recordings were pressed as two single-sided LPs with apparently empty grooves on the two blank sides but Melody Maker reviewer Richard Williams reported that the album was a double LP with sides two and four consisting "entirely of single tones maintained throughout, presumably produced electronically". He also apparently believed that, if listened to intently, the pitch of the tones altered frequently by a microtone or a semitone, thus producing an uneven "beat". In fact, what Williams "reviewed" was an engineer's test signal, as EMI test pressings, unlike those used by many other labels, were single-sided. A week later he received a telegram from John and Yoko which read: "DEAR RICHARD THANK YOU FOR YOUR FANTASTIC REVIEW ON OUR WEDDING ALBUM INCLUDING C-AND-D SIDE STOP WE ARE CONSIDERING IT FOR OUR NEXT RELEASE STOP MAYBE YOU ARE RIGHT IN SAYING THAT THEY ARE THE BEST SIDES STOP WE BOTH FEEL THAT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME A CRITIC TOPPED THE ARTIST STOP WE ARE NOT JOKING STOP LOVE AND PEACE STOP JOHN AND YOKO LENNON."
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Heheh, that's pretty funny. Do you reckon the real guitar loops got scrambled in storage. J and SHJ are all currently listening to the lush looped droning of a coherant piece of layered music wondering what all the message board chat is about. Unaware that the CD's sent out were left under a massive pulsating magnet of some description.

Still, music's in the listening right? Even if it were a joke or a mis understanding, i know i'm getting my £13's worth out of this no bother. I guess what the musicians meant loses all relevance once it's recorded - or even as recording happens, as each note is played. It's all about the listening.

I'm certainly much more interested and excited than i was about "let it come down" (with the exception of "anything more") Actually i'm positively inspired!!

So duppyperson, is the provost one similar but more so? Am tempted to splashout come payday. Was tempted over trio with interludes but that's sold out now i think.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

will this do? wrote: STOP JOHN AND YOKO LENNON." [/i]
Somebody should have! (well somebody did one of them, took him a while though).

There is an installation near me called 'Longplayer', 'created' by some ageing rock dinosaur (forget who), that will play continuous music for 1000 years without ever repeating itself. It started at the turn of the century and was apparently inspired by Tibetan wooden-bowl-music. Serious.
Sounds quite relaxing actually. Don't think cats would like it because of it's high pitch timbre.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

ebbsandflows wrote:
So duppyperson, is the provost one similar but more so? Am tempted to splashout come payday. Was tempted over trio with interludes but that's sold out now i think.
Not really, but it deffinitely commands more attention. Lots of subtle bits that will take many listens to appreciate its full intricacy. It is Wales own field recordings (branches, glass, pebbles), and Eddie Prevost (legendary improv. percussionist) and Coxon on guitar and piano, produced by SHJ. Inspired by Prevost's book (a sort of last ditch manifesto for improv.) Very gentle, almost ambient sounds, that gradually build without ever becoming noisy. Doesn't sound 'arty' or pretentious in any sense; canes Eno. And it doesn't sound like a bloke banging on random objects whilst a drummer does his thing! On first listen it could well be the best of both series so far. Not something to drive to.
Trio with Interludes is good as well though, bit noisy, tribute to a sun-ra album. Worth getting. Get 'em all. Someone said the rest are still available (for abit) at the live gigs, but they are all limited.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I love art and everything...

I went to this thing at the Hayward Gallery a few years ago http://www.projectdark.demon.co.uk/hayward.htm , sonic art it was... and very good too - someone had created a sculpture of all these dansette record players all mounted on a wall, and rigged (prepared) so they played random bits of records, over and over, according (I think) to individual timer switches, and the 'auto' feature you get on dansettes... very good it was... in fact I enjoyed it all as a gallery experience BUT:

There are artists who make "Sound Art"
There are artists who make "Installations"
There are artists who make "Video Installations"

...and broadly speaking they can all fuck off, in favour of artists who make "Music", "Sculpture" and "Films"... no-one seems to paint anymore.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

will this do? wrote:... no-one seems to paint anymore.

Post by Guest »

will this do? wrote:I love art and everything...

no-one seems to paint anymore.
If thats what ya want, check out the last few and next couple of the Saatchi exhibitions

Post by Guest »

and thats a pretty good book, duppyconquerer. Although, can you say that Banksy et al are painters?

Don't get me wrong, i adore Banksy's work...
Gruff
Known user

Guitarloops

Post by Gruff »

In my opinion;

Guitarloops is great. You don’t need to close your eyes (though it helps). You don’t need to be quiet (though it helps). You just need to listen. I have listened in the dark, in the day, whilst ironing and cooking, in the bath and when cycling, when working and when trying to sleep. I found it to be rewarding at each listen.

It certainly has a right to be released.

As others have said, I’m not sure what people who bought this were expecting if they were surprised enough to dislike it. I mean-if you were expecting a Spiritualized record why on earth did you think Spaceman would give a different name to it? I think it has some magical moments. For those listeners who have a taste for that same certain style of improve music then it very much hits the mark.

I always thought the key debate surrounding Duchamp was not whether art is art because it was made by an artist but that anything can be art when analysed as art. That’s why art works. It’s the frame issue; the frame is the most important part. Once you have set your frame (be it actual or metaphorical) then whatever is within the frame is art.

For me though, one of the most intriguing parts of these sorts of works is the fascination about how it was made. The Process of creation. I assume it was a case of recording two takes-one with the fender champ and one with the fender thingy. The shaker part must have been additional. I don’t’ see how they could be recorded as they sound as there is no break long enough for a guitar swap over, though with a pedal with a delay/sustain function I suppose it is theoretically possible. But to my ear it doesn’t sound like that. Saying that, I did once see a man play a trombone and a trumpet at the same time and simultaneously. That was cool. I reckon once these two takes were recorded they overlaid some sections, then split it into chunks and rearranged it.

On the subject of ‘artwank’ I would suggest that this would be an inappropriate comment for a Spiritualized message board. This is because;
a) many would already consider Spiritualized to be artwank due (in part) to lengthy instrumental sections and the use of drones
b) therefore the definition of what is or is not ‘artwank’ can only be defined by each individual as and when their threshold for ‘artwankiness’ ceases
c) so what is or is not ‘artwank’ is non-transferable between listeners so cannot be used on it’s own as a line of reasoning for suggesting the quality of Guitarloops
d) and so finally it is fair to reason that any truly subjective argument (that is one entirely based on your opinion of the music and not based upon simply trying to debunk others views) cannot use ‘artwank’ as a means to rate Guitarloops, but should centre on commenting upon why you think such a recording is ‘artwank’ and where other recordings are not and also suggesting what it is about said recording that you object to
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Anonymous wrote:
will this do? wrote:I love art and everything...

no-one seems to paint anymore.
If thats what ya want, check out the last few and next couple of the Saatchi exhibitions
Fuck Saatchi. Advertising is the sound of a stick being rattled in a swill bucket. He is to art what Rupert Murdoch is to free honest media. Money, money, money.

http://www.stuckism.com/info.html
duppyconquerer
Known user

Re: Guitarloops

Post by duppyconquerer »

Gruff wrote: You don’t need to close your eyes (though it helps). You don’t need to be quiet (though it helps). You just need to listen. I have listened in the dark, in the day, whilst ironing and cooking, in the bath and when cycling, when working and when trying to sleep.

I always thought the key debate surrounding Duchamp was not whether art is art because it was made by an artist but that anything can be art when analysed as art. That’s why art works. It’s the frame issue; the frame is the most important part. Once you have set your frame (be it actual or metaphorical) then whatever is within the frame is art.

For me though, one of the most intriguing parts of these sorts of works is the fascination about how it was made. The Process of creation. I assume it was a case of recording two takes-one with the fender champ and one with the fender thingy. The shaker part must have been additional.
I swear if I close my eyes listening to any music, apart from blinking or involatary 'intense' bits I can't hear it properly and just fall asleep.
Cycling and when cooking?! Brave man!
The Duchamp thing - that's why I depise most of the Turner prize bollocks. "It's a fucking shed!! etc"
J's part was deffiniely recorded in one take, according to the description in the pharmacy. I reckon J and/or SHJ then did shit to it afterwards...has all the SHJ hallmarks.
Seriously, riding a bike?!!
I find the best music to cook to is 50s Jazz, the more soothing end of the 'Braindance' spectrum (yunx, savath,akufen etc) or Breaks.
will this do?
Known user

Re: Guitarloops

Post by will this do? »

Gruff wrote:It certainly has a right to be released.
You won't catch me disagreeing with you there.
Gruff wrote:...I’m not sure what people who bought this were expecting if they were surprised enough to dislike it.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, either. I did think it might sound pleasant though... should I have liked it regardless?
Gruff wrote:...Duchamp...
A hundred years ago. I banged my head on the ceiling yesterday. I'll do it again tomorrow to see if it hurts...
Gruff wrote:... ‘artwank’ ...
Fair points there. I don't think (personally) I've used the word.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Anonymous wrote:and thats a pretty good book, duppyconquerer. Although, can you say that Banksy et al are painters?

Don't get me wrong, i adore Banksy's work...
Hmmm. Well, the graphers I know all reffer to themselves as 'painters'. S'pose Banksy technically (spray)paints. The book's all sorts of styles with some proper intricate pieces from all over everywhere. Well comprehensive. Check it out. The stuff Banksy did at the Gaza strip is genius.

But this thread was about guitar loops. Someone should make a "yes, but what is art?" thread in the 'other' section.
Last edited by duppyconquerer on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

duppyconquerer wrote: Banksy technically (spray)paints...
Technically, he's a vandal.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

will this do? wrote:
duppyconquerer wrote: Banksy technically (spray)paints...
Technically, he's a vandal.
But technically Blair is a diplomat. So I suppose how one defines something depends very much on reactions and viewpoint.
I hear the next in the Treader series is inspired by this board, it's to be called 'conversation loops'. Nobody is sure how it was made or whether it was made at all. But if we believe ourselves to have a copy, it will be shortly dispatched.

Post by Guest »

blair's a cunt.

sorry for using cunt (twice). but he is.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Anonymous wrote:blair's a cunt.

sorry for using cunt (twice). but he is.
ooooh, you're so edgey! (joke). nah, but that was my (obvious) point.

anyway....Yanks, you still waiting for the cd?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I hear the next in the Treader series is inspired by this board, it's to be called 'conversation loops'. Nobody is sure how it was made or whether it was made at all. But if we believe ourselves to have a copy, it will be shortly dispatched.
My imaginary paypal didnt work so i didnt manage to get a copy. Whats it sound like?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

this artwankey yankity Yank is :shock:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

[quote="flamingrev"]"i think the first half is one of the most lovely things i've heard, Ever."

Really?

oh, yes, really. very sincerely. not only because i just plain think it's lovely, but also when i hear it i picture a herd of sheep with bells clanging, moving in fast motion across a meadow, which makes me laugh.
and upon further listening, i like the straight-on guitar parts i didn't like before, so it's growing on me. but i will continue turning the volume down for the mosquito army attack. it gives me a headache.
i like this record because it's someone doing what they want to do and it sounds (mostly) good to me. i don't care if they call it art or jazz or music. so much of creation falls between concrete definitions.

haha-"conversation loops"
Last edited by ro on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Simon, try again mate. It's infinite, so everyone will always be able to have the ability to realise it's percieved contents.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

sheep loops
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Fruit loops

I was less than blown away with the excerpt played last year on the Wales and Coxon show, but I'm going to pick up my copy this weekend from my sister who was kind enough to order one for me, and I'm looking forward to hearing it in its entirety.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Gruff wrote:For me though, one of the most intriguing parts of these sorts of works is the fascination about how it was made. The Process of creation. I assume it was a case of recording two takes-one with the fender champ and one with the fender thingy. The shaker part must have been additional. I don’t’ see how they could be recorded as they sound as there is no break long enough for a guitar swap over, though with a pedal with a delay/sustain function I suppose it is theoretically possible. But to my ear it doesn’t sound like that. Saying that, I did once see a man play a trombone and a trumpet at the same time and simultaneously. That was cool. I reckon once these two takes were recorded they overlaid some sections, then split it into chunks and rearranged it.
A friend of mine uses one of those looping pedals live and can record several different part into it, which can keep playing while he swaps instruments. He runs a shaker through it too and adds rhythm parts by banging the guitar or scratching it, some of it is effected too. It all adds up to sounding like there's a whole band playing. Having said that, I have no idea what method Jason used to record his parts.
Anonymous wrote:I keep saying this, but it really does sound, at least, that the SHJ guys had a hand in it. It wasn't isn't just one man and his guitars obviously. SHJ sometimes do a live thing then add bits and changes in the studio. The production took longer than they thought, so I'm wondering if spaceman did it himself. All the rest in the two series were done by coxon and wales so i'd be surprised if this wasn't, but this is the only release out of the six that has no more info. Not even who recorded it.
I asked him why the engineer wasn't credited and he said that he'd recorded it himself.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

sunny wrote:
Gruff wrote:For me though, one of the most intriguing parts of these sorts of works is the fascination about how it was made. The Process of creation. I assume it was a case of recording two takes-one with the fender champ and one with the fender thingy. The shaker part must have been additional. I don’t’ see how they could be recorded as they sound as there is no break long enough for a guitar swap over, though with a pedal with a delay/sustain function I suppose it is theoretically possible. But to my ear it doesn’t sound like that. Saying that, I did once see a man play a trombone and a trumpet at the same time and simultaneously. That was cool. I reckon once these two takes were recorded they overlaid some sections, then split it into chunks and rearranged it.
A friend of mine uses one of those looping pedals live and can record several different part into it, which can keep playing while he swaps instruments. He runs a shaker through it too and adds rhythm parts by banging the guitar or scratching it, some of it is effected too. It all adds up to sounding like there's a whole band playing. Having said that, I have no idea what method Jason used to record his parts.
Anonymous wrote:I keep saying this, but it really does sound, at least, that the SHJ guys had a hand in it. It wasn't isn't just one man and his guitars obviously. SHJ sometimes do a live thing then add bits and changes in the studio. The production took longer than they thought, so I'm wondering if spaceman did it himself. All the rest in the two series were done by coxon and wales so i'd be surprised if this wasn't, but this is the only release out of the six that has no more info. Not even who recorded it.
I asked him why the engineer wasn't credited and he said that he'd recorded it himself.
Thanks, that's cleared that up for me! The annonymous guy was me. I guess he produced it aswell then.

I'm even more impressed now! (Well as impressed, but in a different way).

spacecadet01
New user

band wagon

Post by spacecadet01 »

I'm glad I'm not the only fool who bougth this ep. Don't get me wrong Jason. But, not everthing we do is great. Production sucktion. We all know that the final product is what counts. Don't matter how you do or with what you do it with. I hope your future experimental projects are more interesting. It kind of reminds me of stuff we were hungry for in the 80's when music was thirsty for something new. We'll you don't need to take it from me. Jason has earned his mark in history of music. Diffinetly changed it. Can't knock a great muscian like him. But, was hoping for something better on guitar loops. I know he has the talent.
stayingg warm in Cali.-cadet01
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Bah, call yourself a spacecadet?!!
This is Image

Listened to it 3 or 4 times now, and it is amongst his best work for me (still on relatively first impression). Now Sunny explained, I can see how it could all be guitar loops. Incredible. Just one take!

I like the fact people don't like it.

OK, I think I've said quite enough for today...

ImageImageTreaderImageImage
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

duppyconquerer wrote:Thanks, that's cleared that up for me! The annonymous guy was me. I guess he produced it aswell then.
I never asked about who produced it- or how exactly it was recorded - I just asked about the engineering ( I hadn't heard it yet at that point...).
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
spacecadet01
New user

Post by spacecadet01 »

SURE. I GUESS IAM JUST AN EXCETION TO THE RULE ON JUMPING ON A BAND WAGON. ITS OK TO BE DISAPPOINTED. HUMAN IS TO ERROR. KEEP ON SOARING. staying cool in Cali-
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

No I wouldn't say that mate, most people seem to hate this record. Or are at least very dissappointed. Even animals make mistakes. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.
Am I a shit-stirrer for really wanting to know what Sonic makes of this release? He usually descripes his own music in such a superfluous manner (see his description of EAR), that I'm curious to know if he likes it.

Post by Guest »

duppyconquerer wrote: Listened to it 3 or 4 times now, and it is amongst his best work for me (still on relatively first impression).
And exactly what "medication" are you on?

You seem to have convinced yourself that this is some sort of masterpiece when in fcat it's quite the opposite.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Beauty is in the eye (or ear or EAR) of the beholder.

I love songs/tunes/sounds made by some people that they tell me for a fact they do not rate. Whether I think it's a masterpiece (or the most hateful thing ever) is nothing to do with them. Whether anyone else thinks it's a masterpiece (or the most hateful thing ever) is nothing to do with me.
Gruff
Known user

Guitarloops

Post by Gruff »

Yes, those pedals with the sampling thingy on are cool-I've used one myself to make loops with trumpet/harmonica/vocals/guitar. I assumed thoguh that the chunks of noise were recorded before being re-sequenced. DUnno though-what others have siad seems perfectly viable!

I also like jazz for cooking- ahve you tried Mingus? that's great for the odd rissotto. (excuse the dodgy spelling)

Sorry to drag the message board into domestic life.

BTW I'm never sure about graffitti-I've never seen any that I would rate as being especially interesting. That said-southampton ain't known for quality graffitti so I'm not really experienced enough to havean educated view on such matters. WHat I don't like though is the smooth blending of colours they do-just not really my bag. I'd like to seem some more 'blocked' stuff I guess. Maybe I'm into 'art/artwank'.
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

gruff, forgive me if i'm stating the obvious, but do you know of banksy? if not, have a look =)
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

I meant that on first impression (ie a few listens), it sounds as good as anything I have heard him do. Yes, somethings take along time to sink in. Just my initial reaction to this was extremely positive.

As for what medication I'm on, at the moment: Lemsip, Halls soothers, Ibuprofen, and Anti-Biotics (amoxycilin). Thanks for the concern. I hope this post reaches you in good health 'guest' (sam?)

Mingus and cooking go together well I agree. Never made a rissotto though. Always wanted to so, if you have a good recipie for one PM me!

And about the production thing I was just assuming, the description of those effects made sense, and the lack of credits etc.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

14 pages on this thread now... is this a record for the message board?