The official guitarloops appreciation thread

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

duppyconquerer
Known user

The official guitarloops appreciation thread

Post by duppyconquerer »

:?
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

8) (6th attempt).
tonerodent

Post by tonerodent »

only 19 times to get thru from America!
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

:shock:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

first attempt... straight thru... 8)

gotta love the internet! :wink:
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

first attempt straight through.

$25.00 dollars for an ep is
pretty steep. damn i hate
the exchange rate from US
dollars to GBP's.

hopefully it will be worth it.
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

c'mon now, it's jasons new release, it's well worth $25 bucks, now hush.

xxme
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

13 quid for an EP? Fucking hell!
a beautiful noise
Known user

apparently it's worth saying twice as well.

go on, just buy it.

xxme
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

yay, I just got my copy. Considering it's a signed limited release. It's worth it.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Gold embossed and signed?! The music's just a bonus surely . . I can only hope now that it's deeply inaccessable and challanging.

Monday night and i get spaceman's new release followed by seeing cougar and televise. The former related to tortoise et al and the latter a founder member of slowdive. I might change my birthday to 30th January.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

ebbsandflows wrote: Monday night and i get spaceman's new release followed by seeing cougar and televise. The former related to tortoise et al and the latter a founder member of Slowdive. I might change my birthday to 30th January.
OOh! where are you going to see them/have seen them? ... a bit confused...

Simon wasn't a founder member of Slowdive though. He was a founder member of the Charlottes, and got headhunted into Slowdive after they'd toured together, and their original drummer left (something like that).

I didn't go to see them at the Water Rats on Friday last, but a friend of mine did, and says the support was by something called the People's Revolutionary Choir... http://www.theprc.co.uk/

They sound like The Sound of Confusion apparently, and they've obviously stolen Thee Pharmacist's web designers...
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
fizz_eed

Big shiny one

Post by fizz_eed »

Got mine, oh yeshh......laz I feel Iknow you from the b/Hill area. Carfin ring a bell....

To all, can't wait to get thjis little piece of yet another spaceman much wanted release....

I here a tour be on the vine.....

Off too seethe old Juilan cope at end of month.....some druid chants and a pipe full of med please bar man.....
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Ah, good knowledge of slowdive!! I will correct Mrs ebbsandflows tonight . . with glee.

Seen at The luminaire in Kilburn - went immediately after buying guitar loops. A fantastic venue that seems to be going from strength to strength. Saw Sonic hisself there a month or so ago.

Additionally (and slightly referencing the hissy fits thread) Mateyboy was very professional and calm despite broken strings and bad connections and feedback. Very impressed with the lot.

Got to say i'm a bit disappointed to see that it's still available. It's no glastonbury sell out with websites crashing and the like eh?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

hmmm-
is guitarloops an album or an ep?
i've ordered it anyway but i'd still like to know
ta
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

all the rest are album length so i reckon it would be, maybe an extended ep, who knows? but apparently you will be able to buy unsigned copies from 'smallfish' records online shop either this week or next (just checked now, it's not there yet) and they usually let you have a little listen, with a description and everything. same on the Treader site, but it's not there yet either for some reason. The other Treader series are all really good, pretty much the guys who are/work with spring heel jack solo albums (sort of), coxon has been on the past few spz albums (arranged strings, production and guitar), wales was on ladies and gentlemen etc, and evan parker was on the last one. for me it is like pokemon, i gotta get 'em all.
and i said it before and i'll say it again: Spring Heel Jack Live is a classic album. Don't know why people on here keep complaining about lack of good music these days, there is more now than i can ever recall, all over the place, everywhere!!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I ordered a copy today (Tuesday) with no problems at all, went first time through. :D
I think I feel it coming on
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

So...Is the Guitar Loops EP any use or is it purely for visual aesthetics

I will end up purchasing it anyway but if anyone can give the lowdown it would be appreciated.
a beautiful noise
Known user

it cures halitosis.

xxme
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

purespace wrote:I ordered a copy today (Tuesday) with no problems at all, went first time through.
hmmmm, so maybe 500 copies of Cheapster sold out fastly, cuz it was Spiritualized. now 500 copies of Guitar Loops ain't selling out cuz it's J Spaceman. see - thats starpower :lol: :lol:
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

How fast did Cheapster sell out then? This did it in under 72 hours which isn't too dusty...
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

[quote="a beautiful noise"]it cures halitosis.

it woked for you then?

Anyone care to comment on the EP
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

ekewebb wrote:How fast did Cheapster sell out then? This did it in under 72 hours which isn't too dusty...
Guitar Loops is all gone now . . .

Post by Guest »

Anyone have an idea as to when they're going to be shipped out? Are we talking days or weeks?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

[quote="Anonymous"]Anyone have an idea as to when they're going to be shipped out? Are we talking days or weeks?[/quote

Please see the "Sonic is Selling Spacemen 3 shirts" thread. :shock: :D :D

Post by Guest »

purespace wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Anyone have an idea as to when they're going to be shipped out? Are we talking days or weeks?[/quote

Please see the "Sonic is Selling Spacemen 3 shirts" thread. :shock: :D :D
oh, i see...months then. Hey, I'm good at waiting... :(
loafer

Anyone got their copy?

Post by loafer »

I take it that Guitarloops hasn't been shipped out yet due to the lack of comments on what it sounds like!

Is there any news on when we can expect to recive it.

I want, I want, I want!!!
Duppycan'tbebotheredtolog

Post by Duppycan'tbebotheredtolog »

it sounds 'strange and lovely', it will be shipped 'in a week or so' as from last saturday (day before yesterday). look at the treader page. i said this in the recomendation thread. read that. It looks more orangey on the other place, all the others have birds on this time. you can buy unsigned copies from both treader and smallfish. and you will be able to listen to bits on both sites. yada yada yada
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

royal mail postal strike timed to perfection?
a beautiful noise
Known user

jack white wrote:royal mail postal strike timed to perfection?
haha that sucks brother.

xxme
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

from the news...

07.02.06 | guitar loops and delays

apologies for having to confirm sales via the news section but we dont seem to be set up to email people individually. Anyone who received confirmation from paypal WILL receive a copy of the guitar loops cd. (the sold out sign went up as soon as we received the 500th order). All copies were supposed to be mailed out this weekend (4th feb) but we just heard from john coxon that there have been delays and the record has been removed from his site until they receive finished copies. Your copy will be mailed as soon as we get them. more soon. Thanks for your patients. keep calm.....pharmacy
stillcan'tbearsed

Post by stillcan'tbearsed »

yeah, i just said, john mailed me on saturday, said was a prob. said he liked prevost the best, and then some mad shit about bats that i didn't get. a week or so. probably means a couple of years.
Duppy
Ocean

Post by Ocean »

That kind of love just ain't gonna last.

X

Ocean
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

ahahahahahahahaha, like you guys didn't see it coming a mile away?
I'm always genuinely impressed that the business side of things goes as smoothly as it does.

kudos to all of my dreamers. I luv them all.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

(i got my tshirt!)
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

HEY ALL THOSE OF YOU THAT MISSED OUT ON THE SIGNED ONES YOU CAN BUY NON SIGNED ONES FROM THE TREADER SITE NOW!! RIGHT NOW! this must mean we get them soon! GET THE OTHER ONES AS WELL! sadly you can't give em a little listen (yet?) like you could with the other series.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

jack white wrote:(i got my tshirt!)
DAMN you Jack. I hope to get mine before the polar ice caps melt completely, or the next Spz release :roll: which ever. . .

Post by Guest »

does anyone other than me feel a little cheated that Treader are selling the Guitar Loops CD? The description on the Spz web said that it was 'limited to 500 copies', which we all know has sold out now. But in fact it isn't limited to 500 copies at all. There are many more copies being sold. I know, i know, that only 500 are signed and numbered, but i just can't help feeling a bit cheated. Particularly when an ep is so expensive. Does anyone see my point, even if they don't agree?
will this do

Post by will this do »

What makes you think they've SOLD all 500?

Post by Guest »

will this do wrote:What makes you think they've SOLD all 500?
Good point, but two things made me think they had...firstly the big 'SOLD OUT' sign when you try buying a copy through the spz website, and secondly cos in the latest news update, the pharmacy wrote 'the sold out sign went up as soon as we received the 500th order'; implying the 500 have been sold.

Post by Guest »

Ah well - fair enough.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I personally don't feel cheated that treader.org are selling the Guitarloops CD as I wasn't lucky enough to get one of the 500 signed ones.

I wonder how much they'll turn up for on ebay?
russg

Post by russg »

oh, i know. please don't get me wrong, i wasn't complaining when i said about feeling a bit cheated. I fully understand the way it works, and the reasoning behind it. Just can't help it i guess. Ah, i'll stop moaning now! No i won't...any idea when its being released, or are we waiting for the spaceman to sign it?!!! :shock: :( OK, i'm really done moaning now!!

Post by Guest »

yeah, 500 copies of the numbered ones. more at treader, but still limited to a few thousand as with all treader releases. Coxon reckons it will sell out quick. why do people keep saying it's an ep? all the others are album length, why would would this be different. who records an improvised ep in one take? and it was only a couple quid more for the numbered and signed ones. no ones forcing anyone to by it, but on the strength of the people involved and the last series, it is highly recomended. normal price for an album i'd say. the artwork is nice as well.

Post by Guest »

jst got it. it's 35 mins 21 seconds long. looks like ? spaceman not j
willthisdo

Post by willthisdo »

What does it sound like?

:oops:
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Give Guest a chance. They've got about 18 mins to go yet.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

They had some copies at the Red Rose gig last night. Was tempted to get one but thought I should wait to get the one in the post. Whats it like?
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

You enjoy it last night then Simon? - Must say it was a mind blower, even better than the previous one - Baritone sax is a dirty dirty animal!
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

so are they both on the radio tonight meo? I hope to record the radio 2 one depending on how the stereo's feeling, but how do you record off the internet? bbc radio has a crap bit rate so fm's a better bet, what 'bout the other?
hope mine's come today...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Yeah Meo is was quality wasnt it!
Properly messed up. Loved the bit in the first half where everyone dropped out and Jase and John were doing some quiet guitar. Then it exploded again. F'king mindblowing assault. Did you see the Sax player on the left shouting at various points? Genius. I loved it.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just got mine. Lucky number 6, and yeah he has signed it ? Spaceman. About to give it a go now. Will let you know.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Erm....is it meant to sound like this?!
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Good stuff Simon - yeah noticed the dirty Baritone guy whooping and such, the drummer was great as well as passionately incessant! Good to see

Duppy dude I believe they are airing the Han Benninck show on Radio 2 tonight - can't remeber what the other show is sorry - can highly recommend the Radio 2 one though - absolutely awesome drumming. Sorry if i've got this wrong, feeling the burn of last nights rum a lot - running the temperature of a pissed pirate at the mo. Afraid I can't shine much of a light on your technical question - fuggin' useless eh! - but as this is such an important recording (for us all 8) ) I'm sure some techno boff on here'll sort you out - come on dudes!

Can't wait to get home to (hopefully) guitar loops on the doormat - if last night was anything to go by it should be truly awesome. Don't know if anyone there last night noticed that the next one (March 16th same time same place) is looking a little different with more electronic stuff and even steel drums. Spaceman and Coxon are not billed which doesn't put me off due to the absolute excellence and general vibe of the night as a whole - was just wondering does this mean they're in the studio? Here's hoping!

Merry rumday to all.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

The Han Bennick shows on tonight at 11.30 - 1.00 on Radio 3. Im taping it, well I set my stereo when I was a bit hungover to record it. Hopefully it should work ok. No idea about recording off the net, its all a bit alien to me too. Sorry mate.

I was wondering about the fact John and Jase arent at the next Back in your town too. Probably is that the're recording. I would have thought John would have been there anyway as its his and Ashley's baby so to speak. The steel drums next month sound like they are going to be dangerous. On the flyer it says he makes them sound really dark and totally different. I'd really like to hear that. How humble and nice was Ashley Wales! After that aural barrage his little speech. Im still trying to get over it. I quite like the fact that everyone else was at home watching James Blunt on the Brits and all us lot were there listening to such amazing imaginative music. Im definately going to become a regular of that night. Genius.

Noticed as well no fags for Mr Pierce last night? has he packed it in?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:They had some copies at the Red Rose gig last night. Was tempted to get one but thought I should wait to get the one in the post. Whats it like?
Hehe, I succumbed to getting a copy last night even though I had been told it was in the post. I'm glad I did, I was up all night listening to it and I now have an extra copy to give to a lucky friend. I've become attached to last nights copy though and although the signature is not in a silver pen and it has no number- it does have a great drawn smile- one which I'm keeping.
Anyway, I absolutely love the CD. Lots of noises, creeks, quirky rhythms and stuff that I'm a total sucker for. But not only does this sit really well with my general taste, it also has an internal shimmering beauty about it that I'm finding mesmerising. Absolutely lovely.

The gig last night was amazing. Mr Coxon said that it was a sort of rehearsal for tonight's resonance gig. If this is true- then miss tonight's radio show at your own peril !!!!
I thought it was overall better than last month's gig and Jason's contribution was more substantial too. His part brought with it a certain feeling of peace and sweetness that others could gently react to and made for a great contrast to some of the more full on bits. It really, really was special.

And the rum...I'm paying for it today. Having a number of painkillers that day and then turning up way too early for the cheap bar- all made for a pretty over the top experience. For those of you that know me- I apologize if I scared anyone with totally manic grinning and over the top scary friendliness... what can I say, shit happens.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Mr Coxon said that it was a sort of rehearsal for tonight's resonance gig. If this is true- then miss tonight's radio show at your own peril !!!!
Please can someone record this for me? I really want to hear it and Ive got no internet at home so I'll have to sit at work on a Friday night which is both wrong and bad. help me obi won kenobi your my only hope!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Just having a look and they sold out of guitar loops on the treader site now too. Cradle those CD's people. They are rare like jewels and riches found by pirates or Meo on his rum kick.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

i'm gonna second that request for someone to record the radio show, really need to hear it but aint gonna be around for it :(

come to think about it, really wanna hear the gigs too....has anyone been recording them??

got the guitarloops cd in the post today, really loving jason's crazy noodling - sort of reminded me of a more lo-fi squarepusher!
THANKS!
really really looking forward to the new spz lp!

woooooooo,
moop
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

threw a midday sickie as the future missus conquerer rang me.v got cained listened to it, sounds...broken, then fixed, then mad then oh i see, first one that says metal machine music (apart from me), gets a happy slap. :shock: not safe for artic minkeyfands
duppyconquerer
Known user

Duppy

Post by duppyconquerer »

I wish i still lived in London. This ain't fair.
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Someone was recording it last night moop but I don't know who they were, was a little too high by the end to think about asking - deerrrrr.

Anyone know who that elusive gentleman was?[/quote]
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I might be showing my ignorance here, but I don't think I get it. Have listened to it a couple of times now thinking its suddenly going to hit me but it just won't. Starts off sounding like someone's fucking round pulling the speaker cables in and out. In fact I had to check my stereo as I thought it was broken. Then I thought I must have a scratched CD or something. It then moves on to something reminiscent of a child pissing around in a music room - actually that sounds a bit harsh.

I was on the phone to a friend with the CD on in the background and they just couldn't believe what I was listening to. Will this grow on me. I'm sure the gig last night was amazing and everything but does this stuff really translate to home listening? I really really want to like it but at the moment I feel like eveyone is in on a joke and I'm being excluded. I must admit my music tastes are no where near as diverse as some of the posters on this board but I just can't get my head round this. Its almost if Jason could release a CD with the lyrics "all Spiritualized fans are cunts" over and over again and everyone will still love it.

Sorry if I'm being a bit negative, ignorant or whatever but I'm just being honest. I'm sure I will be in the minortity, perhaps even the only one who isn't falling over backwards over this but I was just expecting something a little more.
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Hey

You don't have to like it Ads mate, not heard it yet and already know it's not going to be everyones cup of tea (Even if served in a ridiculously small logo'd mug!). I realise it's will be experimental which in a lot of peeps books equals some kid pissing around in a music room (Nice!!)

I took a load of mates to the last do and it freaked the shit out of them concequently I went on my own to this one! I wouldn't hold this against them either, it's odd noodly jazzy stuff in large parts. Could say a similar thing about Spring heel jack in general - no-one I know really gets why i dig it. Still thats that.

May I make a friendly suggestion that may aid your 'appreciation'
Get some Rum down yer - good luck !!!!

Post by Guest »

that cained ican vytuype burt, it aint evertyiones cup of tesa. cant ndee.the bduppt6ygs
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Meo wrote:Someone was recording it last night moop but I don't know who they were, was a little too high by the end to think about asking - deerrrrr.

Anyone know who that elusive gentleman was?
[/quote]

Ashley had it recorded.

I for one love the sound of kids pissing about in a music room, but of course to some it might look like 'an emperor's new clothes' type situation. Personally though I don't like it simply because it's a Spaceman record- but because it makes me feel happy. :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'