SongOfTheDay

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

moop
Known user

Post by moop »

spam - where the hell did you get this from? awesome stuff!
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Artist: Mainline

Song: Where the Ghosts meet

http://www.iol.ie/~hedspace/Music/mainline.zip
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

moop wrote:spam - where the hell did you get this from? awesome stuff!
Glad it gave you a buzz. Came off a boot CD of vocal-only mixes and OOPS'd tracks and such.
Tons more to come when I get this multi-volume anthology thing finished..gonna post the whole lot on here when I'm done.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I've been listening to these quite a lot recently and listening to the lyrics it is probably aimed towards either Bush or Blair (or Brown more recently), or both depending on the political point of view.

Archive ~ Fuck U
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

ah, i'm always on the lookout for vocal only mixes. i mean they sound great but also i have a hobby of remixing them..

a while ago i did one with a dr. dre track mixed with bonobo and most recently i used bob dyan's 'last thoughts on woodie guthrie' to make a vaguely poppy/hip hop tune complete with sampled cat miows.. many may view this as blasphemy, but it was fun to do, so who cares! :D
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Spamuel L. Jackson

moop wrote:a while ago i did one with a dr. dre track mixed with bonobo and most recently i used bob dyan's 'last thoughts on woodie guthrie' to make a vaguely poppy/hip hop tune complete with sampled cat miows.. many may view this as blasphemy, but it was fun to do, so who cares! :D
Oh yeah, you were the dude who did the tune with the Bobby G samples! Post more of 'em!
The Dylan one sounds cool.
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:Check this out. Amazing.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 38791D59F1

I don't think I have that version!

Where did it come from? I've got a couple of discs of out takes and different versions but not that one.
Spamuel L. Jackson

KevW wrote:Where did it come from? I've got a couple of discs of out takes and different versions but not that one.
CDR source, been circulating for a couple of years. Not really a boot per se, just a fan thing.

Here's a clip of the Iron Horse section with Dennis' part heard more clearly.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... F845C1A0AC
Spamuel L. Jackson

KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Have you got many recording of those sessions?
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

FAO Spamuel L Jackson

I'm loving this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnUsInBQws
Spamuel L. Jackson

KevW wrote:I'm loving this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnUsInBQws
Aww, ace clip. My fave 45 of them all. Fatherless teenage Phil takes his pain, filters it through some universal unrequited-love sentiment and makes a million seller.
Can't be coincidence how Lennon had such an affinity for that song.

Re. Cab sessions -- there's some neat tracking bits and pieces on the Secret Smile sets. You heard those?
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:
KevW wrote:I'm loving this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnUsInBQws
Aww, ace clip. My fave 45 of them all. Fatherless teenage Phil takes his pain, filters it through some universal unrequited-love sentiment and makes a million seller.
Can't be coincidence how Lennon had such an affinity for that song.

Re. Cab sessions -- there's some neat tracking bits and pieces on the Secret Smile sets. You heard those?

I love the sound of it. It's haunting. I got 10 old Spector LPs yesterday. Get in!!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I wandered
I wandered
in the wilderness
Far far away...

http://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BuT ... eVkwTVE9PQ

Pentangle/Hear My Call
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

I don't think so. I've got a 2 CD set of the original sessions but that's it.
ohh
Known user

Post by ohh »

natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Apathy - "School"

For anyone who liked the Aesop Rock track I posted the other day.

http://download.yousendit.com/116B2A5E2BAB73BF
Spamuel L. Jackson

KevW wrote:I don't think so. I've got a 2 CD set of the original sessions but that's it.
Cab sessions will figure in the "SMILE" section of this rarities thang I'm piecing together. Should have it done eventually.

Stick around, man.

And cheers for the apathy, Natty!
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

KevW wrote:I don't think so. I've got a 2 CD set of the original sessions but that's it.
Cab sessions will figure in the "SMILE" section of this rarities thang I'm piecing together. Should have it done eventually.

Stick around, man.

And cheers for the apathy, Natty!

What rarities thing is that? I'll be sticking around and that sounds great!

The song of ANY day should be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMPq1_fkgpA

It's not a proper vid so just listen. I think this is amazing. Especially towards the end.
Spamuel L. Jackson

KevW wrote:What rarities thing is that?
Approx. 12 volumes (1hr each) of Beach Boy rarities, sequenced chronologically -- encompassing solo rarities, live rarities from all decades, tracking outtakes, outside productions/compositions, guest appearances, interviews, the list goes on. The intention is a set that renders every Beach Boy bootleg from the last 30 odd years obsolete, but grouping together tons more overlooked and/or obscure material besides.

That Go!Team is cool.

Got Pipettes? My SOTD, and fave single of last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZUOOnJ5hU

And #2 SOTD, just for the hell of it. Also not a proper vid, but one of my fave singles of any year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WQ7Yh8hDpc

p/s4Natty: that Apathy tune is seriously kicking my head in. Thanks, man.
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

KevW wrote:What rarities thing is that?
Approx. 12 volumes (1hr each) of Beach Boy rarities, sequenced chronologically -- encompassing solo rarities, live rarities from all decades, tracking outtakes, outside productions/compositions, guest appearances, interviews, the list goes on. The intention is a set that renders every Beach Boy bootleg from the last 30 odd years obsolete, but grouping together tons more overlooked and/or obscure material besides.

That Go!Team is cool.

Got Pipettes? My SOTD, and fave single of last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZUOOnJ5hU

And #2 SOTD, just for the hell of it. Also not a proper vid, but one of my fave singles of any year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WQ7Yh8hDpc

p/s4Natty: that Apathy tune is seriously kicking my head in. Thanks, man.
Can't wait for those boots to be sorted. I doubt I'll have anything you dn't.

The Go! Team's album is one of the best I've bought in the last few years. I think it's amazing.

I have Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me by The Pipettes. I'm acually part of Team Memphis... which is prett stupid considering where I live.... so I might get more free stuff soon!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Bagsy the brunette. :wink:
Spamuel L. Jackson

Ads wrote:Bagsy the brunette. :wink:
Bagsy your Mum.

(j/k!)

Song Of The Day for today -- camp as tits, schmaltzy as fuck and also one of the greatest singles ever made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxVqsAz1jFE
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:Song Of The Day for today -- camp as tits, schmaltzy as fuck and also one of the greatest singles ever made.
It's not that camp and not one of the greatest singles ever made. That's not to say it isn't any good because it is. Plus, as you put it, a great 'schmaltzy' song. But that's just my take on it, a sort of throw-away remark.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Mum jokes are always are ok with me. However, what the fuck is going on with your Song of the Day choices recently?...you've been going all twee on us Baz. I remember my Mum always used to sing that "Windy" song by them though.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

moop wrote:a while ago i did one with a dr. dre track mixed with bonobo and most recently i used bob dyan's 'last thoughts on woodie guthrie' to make a vaguely poppy/hip hop tune complete with sampled cat miows.. many may view this as blasphemy, but it was fun to do, so who cares! :D
Oh yeah, you were the dude who did the tune with the Bobby G samples! Post more of 'em!
The Dylan one sounds cool.
if you say so...
here's the link to the tune mentioned, as it stands anyway.... hope you guys find something to enjoy :)

http://download.yousendit.com/F9A33A1A065325A2
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

moop, you've got Awfully Large Cats over there!
?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Ads wrote:Mum jokes are always are ok with me. However, what the fuck is going on with your Song of the Day choices recently?...you've been going all twee on us Baz. I remember my Mum always used to sing that "Windy" song by them though.

1) Twee (as characterised by the press) is well evidenced as good by the consistently excellent output of the mis-represented tweemeisters themselves - Scotland's finest, B&S...although I'd be hard pushed to decide who I preferred between Stuart Murdoch and co, and the mighty J&MC.

2) I think PK got the best response I've heard from a 'mother' joke on a common SM3 live recording...can't recall which exactly but if you heard it I doubt you didn't remember it!

In the spirit of this here's two contrasting tunes - compelling innocence and heartfelt naiveté...and just to keep folks amused while I'm at it here's a good reason why radio 4 is the only worthwhile thing on our airwaves...enjoy :!:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

ro wrote:moop, you've got Awfully Large Cats over there!
?
i assume you mean the 'come to daddy' style miaow? was a bit of the ol' sonic manipulation :wink: can't help but laugh every time i hear it though..
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

haha,
my dylan song killed the song of the day thread...
sorry about that!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:
]radio 4 is the only worthwhile thing on our airwaves [/url]...enjoy :!:

i always miss desert island discs and then am gutted cos you can't do listen again due to the music copyright...i really wanted to listen to the stephen king one...ah well
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
darynm
Known user

new song

Post by darynm »

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

moop
Known user

Post by moop »

eeee22
Known user

Post by eeee22 »

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

meg n' me (the white stripes) - icky thump:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/whitestripe ... p-mp3.html
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Spamuel L. Jackson

Cheers, Jack. Looking forward to the new album.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Ride Away - Steve Grogan backed by a death-seraph choir of Squeaky, Ruthann, others.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 6616AA2439
Spamuel L. Jackson

Ads wrote:However, what the fuck is going on with your Song of the Day choices recently?...you've been going all twee on us Baz.
"Cabinessence", that thing levels whole mountain-ranges, nowhere near twee...Cass Elliot, twee? not in my estimation...Association? nah...Cowsills, no. Pipettes just happen to make great records, why does anyone have to read something so insincere into that?

do fans of, saaaay, Neil Young really see him as some rugged purveyor of manly-man lumberjack 'authenticity' with 'rocky moments' and 'sensitive without being girly' piano ballads? cos that'd be totally missing the point of it all by a fucking mile.

similarly, i don't think Curt Boettcher - "Cherish" producer - is sunshine or soft or twee whatever anyone says, 'sunshine pop' god or not (and would you believe people gush those designations to show their approval?). i'd listened to his stuff a while before i heard him referred to as 'twee', and i was shocked. didn't get it, still don't.
sunshine pop. softpop. please spit those when you say them. such limpdick handles. people who hail and celebrate him in that vein are guilty, of a mischaracterization that does his recorded legacy no favors, of expoiting something to fit their own fetish-y little MO. listen to Ballroom's "Baby Please Don't Go" and call it sunshine or soft, dare ya.
the point isn't 'soft' or 'hard', 'sunshine' or 'darkness', it's the whole trip and everything you can read between the sweetly chiming lines of "bom bom bom bom". i wish more people could come down from their masturbatory whimsy and get some of that panorama. (hence a remark like the one about Association being schmaltzy or camp is spat with bitter irony, for the same reason as i puke whenever i hear someone refer to Verve as 'shoegaze')
Last edited by Spamuel L. Jackson on Wed May 30, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

....erm, sorry. Was only being silly. No offence intended. Chill out Baz, your boys practically won the title today.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

For all of us who wish we'd been at Coachella it's coming like a heart attack!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Spamuel L. Jackson

Ads wrote:....erm, sorry. Was only being silly. No offence intended.
Chilled, baby. My bugbear ain't with you, knew you were only skitting, just piggybacked your post to vent about ghettoization and mischaracterization of music in general.

(trust, I'm over the moon today)

p/s: haha mojo, thought that "Far Gone And Out" was gonna be from Coachella for a sec! (love that tune btw)
eeee22
Known user

Post by eeee22 »

mojo filters wrote:For all of us who wish we'd been at Coachella it's coming like a heart attack!

Anyone else planning to see them in NYC?
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Song Of The Fuckin' Year

I'll tell ya what's been blowing my mind for the last 3 months.
Go here and listen to the demo of "It's OK Johanna". If that's the standard for a new Dexys record, I can't fucking wait.
http://www.myspace.com/dexysmidnightrunners

More please, Kevin. And thank-you.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Well it's not Coachella, but nearby...Teenage Lust at the Glasshouse the night before. I've got the whole gig (compressed) and could stick it on Yousendit if folks are interested.
Dave Chappelle
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

that must be the bit where jim says that they swiped it from the MC5. he also asks the crowd if they even know what teenage lust is anymore.

great tune at the show.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

a beautiful noise wrote:that must be the bit where jim says that they swiped it from the MC5. he also asks the crowd if they even know what teenage lust is anymore.

great tune at the show.
I was just listening and he actually says 'are you allowed to write songs called Teenage Lust anymore?' before going on to credit the MC5. Sorry to be pedantic!

Personally I think your statement would probably have made more sense, given that it's over 20 years since they 1st started. Jim Reid does seem to have aged very well though, in comparison with his brother.
Dave Chappelle
Spamuel L. Jackson

a beautiful noise
Known user

Sorry to be pedantic!

no not at all, thanks for the clarification.

and yeah, jim looked ace. then again standing next to william anybody would look good. it did make me a bit sad to see William in that state.

oh well, at least we know he's well fed.

me.
Spamuel L. Jackson

William ever use coke much? Maybe that's it.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:William ever use coke much? Maybe that's it.
I think he generally took his Jack Daniels straight from the bottle :wink:

He's clearly just on the pies nowadays :!:
Dave Chappelle
Spamuel L. Jackson

mojo filters wrote:I think he generally took his Jack Daniels straight from the bottle
Heh, yeah.

The sound of his voice on "Darklands" will always be one of the saddest most beautiful things I ever heard. Drag to see true heroes the worse for wear.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:The sound of his voice on "Darklands" will always be one of the saddest most beautiful things I ever heard. Drag to see true heroes the worse for wear.
yeah. except for bobby-g singing 'kill the king'. his drunken whine is hilarious! not at all sad or beautiful though. (let's not get into a discussion of whether bobby-g's a 'true hero' or not...please!)
a beautiful noise
Known user

moop wrote:
Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:The sound of his voice on "Darklands" will always be one of the saddest most beautiful things I ever heard. Drag to see true heroes the worse for wear.
yeah. except for bobby-g singing 'kill the king'. his drunken whine is hilarious! not at all sad or beautiful though. (let's not get into a discussion of whether bobby-g's a 'true hero' or not...please!)

because we all know he is! :wink:

sorry, i just couldn't resist.

me.
Spamuel L. Jackson

I'll take him over Bono any day.

But I'll take another Bobby over 'em both...Pyn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwCm1RY15og
Spamuel L. Jackson

And...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:And...(Pic of Sir Bobby)
Great player he was, a true gentleman he is and a genuine inspiration for many in life then and now.

Please more songs in a thread titled SongOfTheDay.
Can't do any harm to start a new Pic/PhotoOfTheDay thread.
That could provide some light hearted humour.
Spamuel L. Jackson

The Jig wrote:Please more songs in a thread titled SongOfTheDay.
Lexicon Devil not enough for ya?

Then dig this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meILJSQuH3g

Now back to more Bobbys who can walk the walk...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

The Jig wrote:Please more songs in a thread titled SongOfTheDay.
Lexicon Devil not enough for ya?

Yes it is. Forgot to say thanks.

I was only making a polite request, can't do any harm to start a new thread.
Spamuel L. Jackson

The Jig wrote:can't do any harm to start a new thread.
Just a little derail, Jiggler, no harm done. Finished now.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

and once again all because some idiot mentioned bobby-g..

...sorry! :cry:

and yeah, more songs on the songoftheday thread please!

i'm using my old laptop which is so bad it doesn't seem to even let me use yousendit etc. otherwise song of the day might've been 'wabby legs' by aphex twin, or perhaps 'take care' by yo la tengo....i guess now we'll never know!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Cool. Better kept on track though.

Anyways i had an e.mail earlier today from the author of this thread.

I'd like to think if he still wrote on here he'd have shared this. No worries though, i'll share it.

Thanks to u_nderscore for a great mix.

''hope it's all good. here's a new d_rradio 80 minute mix that's been made for a blog...thought it'd be up your street....it's a winzip pack with mp3, tracklist and cover inside...it's 178mb....''

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bfgdjc

and here be the tracklist...though some of them appear just fleetingly....

01 Sun Ra - 'Languidity'
02 Charles Mingus - 'Live in Copenhagen '64 Intro [Bootleg]'
03 Augustus Pablo - 'Chapter 3'
04 The Crystals - 'Uptown'
05 Marvin Gaye - 'Theme From Trouble Man'
06 Dictaphone - 'Disconnected'
07 Swod - 'Fugitif 1'
08 Captain Beefheart - '81 Poop Hatch'
09 Harmonia - 'Watussi'
10 The Ronettes - 'Do I Love You'
11 Adem - 'Launch Yourself (Hot Chip Remix)'
12 Xploding Plastix - 'The Famous Biting Guy'
13 Belgradeyard Sound System - 'Munchies'
14 Phil Spector - 'Studio Out-Takes & Overdubs [Bootleg]'
15 Fela Kuti - Roforofo Fight'
16 Christopher Willits - 'Medium Blue'
17 Marvin Gaye - 'T Plays It Cool'
18 Vashti Bunyan - 'Where I Like To Stand'
19 Guy Pedersen - 'Indian Pop Bass'
20 Dabrye - 'Get It Together'
21 CAN - 'Halleluhwah'
22 Primal Scream - 'Kowalski'
23 Populous - 'The Breakbeat Drama'
24 Lusine - 'Still Frame (Lusine Remix)'
25 Dollboy - 'Odd Man Out'
26 Thomas Newman - 'Road To Perdition'
27 Helios - 'Halving The Compass'
28 Washington Phillips - 'Take Your Burden To The Lord And Leave It'
Spamuel L. Jackson

Sorry, forgot one...
Spamuel L. Jackson

Seeing Fela Kuti there takes me back to '99. That whole summer all I listened to was him and the first two Os Mutantes albums (and Horace Andy).
-sigh-
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

hehe - for some reason i thought he'd be the first bobby!

cheers for upping that shiz jig, halleluwah->kowalski eh? niiiiice

btw - i was listening to 'cutaway' from CAN's "unlimited edition" the other night and noticed a fair way in the familiar synth sound from the start of 'living room' on david holmes' bow down to the exit sign! MENTAL..

anyone else noticed that? or perhaps been driven mad trying to work it out? or is it in holmes' liner notes? i've lost the case so i can't say...

oh and my song of the day was definitely yo la tengo's 'take care'. that's gotta be one of the saddest, most beautiful tracks ever. (sorry i can't upload at the mo)