I've Been thinking about getting..

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Sam Salem
Known user

I've Been thinking about getting..

Post by Sam Salem »

which means I'll be getting here soon... 'True Stories' by the talking heads and 'Bleed American' by Jimmy Eat World... which i know sounds like a juvenile album, but it was supposedly an important one and 'The Middle' is a good song despite the less astounding chorus, anybody know where they got, if any, influence for that song?
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I think it has been said that it's influenced by 'Start' by The Jam and 'The End' by The Doors
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

ORBITAL wrote:I think it has been said that it's influenced by 'Start' by The Jam and 'The End' by The Doors
ROFL!!!

:lol:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Jimmy Eat World? Yuck. I’d pass on that one.

Post by Guest »

i will
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Alright, lookie here kid. You sound like a nice kid. If you're hell-bent on buying a Talking Heads record, don't just buy the one with the tune on it called "Radio Head". True Stories is late-period bullshit, and no, it doesn't sound anything like Radiohead. In fact the Talking Heads as a rule do not. They did release a handful of records that are entertaining enough: 77, More Songs About Buildings and Food, and, in a pinch, Remain in Light. I don't think any of these are great, but they'll do the job, and you won't be wasting $18 on an album that isn't any good purely because your heroes took their name from a tune on it - a tune that, as it turned out, they didn't really like (or so I've heard).
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

mostly true i'd say, except that 'remain in light' is absoultely fantastic! i think all the brian eno produced talking heads albums are great...but 'remain in light' is essential.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'll add my weight to Remain In Light.

What about Fear of Music? That's a fantastic record too. How come you all forgot that?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i just bought the remaster of Remain In Light and it is great. This is probably the fourth time i have bought this record. Lp, Tape, CD, Remaster CD.
The double live record is shit hot too! I'm not much of a live record person but this one is incredible.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Remain In Light, Fear Of Music, and even Speaking In Tongues are worth owning.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Yeah, I'm a big Remain in Light fan too.

The double live LP is "The name of this band is..." and features quite early stuff. It's fab too.

Not to be confused with the Stop Making Sense soundtrack, which is also live but isn't as good.
eeee22
Known user

Post by eeee22 »

I agree with 26, Remain in Light is not very exciting. a few good tracks but that overly eno sound doesnt do it for me, reminds me of a few david bowie tracks i dont like.

n also Clarity is a better album than bleed american if u are into emo rock n such
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.