New Primal Scream album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

burningwheel
Known user

New Primal Scream album

Post by burningwheel »

anyone have a promo, i'm dying to hear it. it won't be out til June

check the news page of webadelica for release date and single details
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

PM Runcible. He'll be able to tell you what it's like already. :wink:
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Fuzzhead wrote:PM Runcible. He'll be able to tell you what it's like already. :wink:
i did..hahaha :o i didn't realized he loved the scream so much! :oops:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hey burning,

i had the chance to hear the new album, well 8 or so tracks off of it.

i posted all about on a thread a few weeks ago.

i sure someone can show you where thats at. i think it's in the spaceman3 section.

pm me if you want and i'll give you a rundown, i'm sure some on the board would rather not have to go thru it agian.

xxme
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Fuzzhead wrote:PM Runcible. He'll be able to tell you what it's like already. :wink:
Yup - spot on.

I can tell you what the next three Primals albums will be like too. That's if they get that far.
a beautiful noise
Known user

runcible wrote:
Yup - spot on.

I can tell you what the next three Primals albums will be like too. That's if they get that far.

i really hope youl isten to the next album. you just might be surprised. you mean to tell me runci, that everything the scream have done you've not liked a bit of???

something doesn't seem right with that.

xme
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sigh...

Screamadelica is great, but its a Weatherall album in my opinion.

I gave up buying Scream albums people said were amazing as I'd listen to them and they'd be appalling piles of nonsense. I bought about 3. Plus they are without doubt the worst headline act I have ever seen. I saw one of those George Clinton shows that were regarded as classics. Total rubbish. Sorry.
a beautiful noise
Known user

*sigh*

fair enough runci.

at least you tried.

xxme

p.s.- good point about screamadelica, it is a weatherall album, but what a great album that is, need to give that one a listen to again. thanks.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I can't wait for the new Scream LP. How can you argue with Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR? Those are both excellent IMO. Evil Heat is a bit too electro/industrial for me, but it's still got some great songs (Rise, for example) on it.
twinside
Known user

Post by twinside »

prml scrm are ace, end of discussion. you only need to listen to xtrmntr for evidence of that, a band who by rights are 10 years past their use by date making the best music they've ever made...

you guys who've heard the new record... how did you manage to get a copy? is it up on soulseek? do you know the title, or anyway i can get a preview prior to offical release, when, of course, i will be purchasing a legit copy?

thanks guys,

daniel

Post by Guest »

Primal scream are the greatest, there are a couple of bootleggs floating about with some of the new material on, fuji rock in japan last year with Country Girl, Suicide Sally and Cars, and also a not so good quality bootlegg of the Folkestone gig they played in December last year, with When the bomb drops, 99th floor(hole in my heart), Nitty Gritty, Country Girl, Cars and Suicide Sally.

The sound is definatly a return to rock n roll, but nothing like Give Out ballads, thank goodness.

Picks of the bunch have to be Country Girl, which has no1 single written all over it, is such a good tune, movin on up for 2006, gets released on 22/05/06. 99th Floor is pure class, awesome mani bassline kinda sounds like a wired my generation. When the bomb drops is just something else altogether, some amazing Kevin Sheilds guitar if the bootleggs anything to go by and has an amazing break in it, think the new album is gonna be their best yet, which is what we have come to expect from Primal Scream in their current line up.

Are you ready 3,4,5.......
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm already giddy.

do you think one of you who has it can yousendit my way? :wink:
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

trying really hard to stay out of this one as my love of primal scream is unabashed. i gave up trying to convince non-believers of their genuine greatness ages ago. but i have to just say i disagree about screamadelica being a weatherall album. i just dont think that's true. it's fair to say he obviously played a big part in it being how it is - his 'come together' and 'higher than the sun' remixes for example, are admittedly very remixed - but come on...there are songs behind all those trippy tunes! and let's face it, in 1991 weatherall wasn't writing songs...yeah, he mastered the art of re-interpreting songs but i'm sure he'd be the first to admit there's no weatherall songs on screamadelica. his 'come together' is probably the closest, but it's still 'come together'. if you follow the lineage of primal screams songwriting through from the first albums, it's right there on screamadelica...but better, and with the influence of the changing times playing it's part too. i'd say 'im comin down' and 'shine like stars' are great examples of this.

a fantastic record, and yeah, a primal scream/weatherall record, but not just weatherall.
8)

i for one, can't wait for the new album.

Post by Guest »

Totally agree, you only have to listen to the original version of higher than the sun, which is equally as good if not better than the orbs/wetherall mixes.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Primal scream are one of two bands who still mean something to me. They are so ahead of the game and unafraid to buck the trend it makes them truly rock and roll. I doubt in ten years time people will give a shit about Franz Ferdinand and bloc party, But they wil about the scream. They have opened so many doors to me musically speaking and when you listen to them you can tell they love doing what they do. Bobby G cares about music and I think at the end of the day thats what makes them great. Im slightly drunk from last night still so this is all a bit rambling. I will conclude by saying that I always see them like the last gang in town. Renegades standing up for rock and roll.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Primal scream are one of two bands who still mean something to me. They are so ahead of the game and unafraid to buck the trend it makes them truly rock and roll. I doubt in ten years time people will give a shit about Franz Ferdinand and bloc party, But they wil about the scream. They have opened so many doors to me musically speaking and when you listen to them you can tell they love doing what they do. Bobby G cares about music and I think at the end of the day thats what makes them great. Im slightly drunk from last night still so this is all a bit rambling. I will conclude by saying that I always see them like the last gang in town. Renegades standing up for rock and roll.

Think I may have got a bit carried away there....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I think the Scream get hyped up a bit too much. Thought they were absolutely woeful at the Hoping Foundation gig. Just a racket really, and Bobby's vocals were shit. Every new song (by that I mean the last 2 albums really) just sounded the same, a kind of industrial noisy mess.

Mani has added a bit of oomph and just increased the general rock and roll attitude but I thought their set at last years Glasto sucked (mind you, I only caught it on TV). I just think they could have played a kind of greatest hits set and blown the crowd away. That year's Glastonbury was theres for the taking, what with Coldplay headlining and everything. I know, some people would say playing the hits is a bit of a comprimise but sometimes the crowd just wants to party and I think they really missed their opportunity. I mean, Bobby ended up taunting the crowd for being stupid hippies. Thats not rock and roll, thats just bitterness and the drunken behavior of a baffoon. Luckily Ian Brown was there to save the day, giving the kids just want they wanted.

Think this new album may be their last chance to prove that they can walk the walk AND talk it up. They have the makings of a brilliant outfit, what with Kevin Shields getting involved too; Gillespe, Shields and Mani - now it doesn't come much more rock and roll than that. Don't think they'll ever return to the heights of Screamadelica but I think they can still be the kings of underground cool and I think thats what they'd prefer to be to honest.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Simon, you didn't get carried away at all. You've obviously got great taste.

Up The Scream!
Gruff
Known user

primal scream

Post by Gruff »

I like Primal Scream. They've written some great songs. But I'm afraid that for me is it. I LIKE them and they've written SOME great songs. IMO all their albums I own have some more dodgy tunes. Inevitable I guess, but I do just skip through them, whereas albums I truely LOVE don't have any tracks that I would do that with.

...and I'm sorry but all the live stuff I've seen them do I think is pretty rubbish compared to the album tracks-and I very rarely find that. Whereas pon record Bobby's voice is cool-live it sounds like a screechy girly camp dribble. And it's never quite hit the mark-there seems to be a bit of a hole somewhere.

But I don;t mean to be down-I'm still very much looking forward to the new album. I hope it's better than Evil Heat, which to me sounded like just a less good version of XTRMNTR, which was fabulous. Vanishing Point was good, Don't Give out Give Up is only half an album. and the bits with george clinton on are woefully embarressing. Screamadelica is great, but does have some less good tracks. Doesn't it? Honestly?

Sorry I'm getting negative again. I do like them, honest!

BUt why did they release the Chemical BRothers version of Swastika Eyes rather than the far superior Jagz version?[/i]
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
Edukator
Known user

Post by Edukator »

Ads wrote: I thought their set at last years Glasto sucked (mind you, I only caught it on TV). I just think they could have played a kind of greatest hits set and blown the crowd away. That year's Glastonbury was theres for the taking, what with Coldplay headlining and everything. I know, some people would say playing the hits is a bit of a comprimise but sometimes the crowd just wants to party and I think they really missed their opportunity. I mean, Bobby ended up taunting the crowd for being stupid hippies. Thats not rock and roll, thats just bitterness and the drunken behavior of a baffoon. .
I beg your pudding?! I've got 6 hours of footage of last year's Glasto on tape and I think the Primals played the best set by a million miles! Bobby's mixture of politics and arse-wiggling was great and the band played pure destroy-punk-rock-n-roll that wiped the floor with garbage like the Magic Numbers. Fair enough, Evil Heat wasn't the most amazing album but to be fair there's still some decent tunes on it. Looking forward to the album and to seeing them live on that Spring tour that they've just announced today
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i thought that their set at glastonbury was exactly what that festival needed.
the white stripes tried to shake things up with their set and approach and to some extent succeed, but nowhere on the level of ps.

it was a great moment bobby calling them hippies then launching into kill all hippies, even though your glastonbury goer is more likely a yuppy than anything else. and while the good vibes from brian wilson were nice, it was a bit sickening (though the woman that sings in his band is lovely) and the timing was perfect for some bashing from bobby. shame they didnt get to play gimme some truth though.

theyre playing oxegen festival in ireland this summer, and ive never seen them live. but i swore id never go back to that place unless it was for something truly special... and i would love to get the piss ripped out of me and the cunts that attend that festival by bobbys acid tongue.

but yea, their behaviour at glastonbury was one of the highpoints of last summer.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Skull X-ploding>>>>

Evil Heat is a damn good album : Wetherall & Shields split production, Autobahn 66 is on it too!

However no one else thought so, which means it's currently on sale in fopp for three pounds...the same price as a glass of reassuringly expensive lager, fact fans.
russg

Post by russg »

ok, ok, i've got to ask...sorry for my basic ignorance. What actually does IMO stand for? What is it?
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

[quote="jack white"]theyre playing oxegen festival in ireland this summer, and ive never seen them live. but i swore id never go back to that place unless it was for something truly special... and i would love to get the piss ripped out of me and the cunts that attend that festival by bobbys acid tongue.

Yep, I know that feelin.
Oxegen Festival is a 5 pound stocking fulla 9 pounds of shite. Electric Picnic is the place to be if your in Ireland for a music festival.

Primal Scream live are incredible but as far as studio is concerned I think their lackinga lot of soul in their music.
Dont all jump on me at once...purely my own opinion.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

EP is ok. but you're just exchanging a bunch of steeks and millies for a bunch of yuppies serending as hippies for the weekend.
but the fact that it actually has a good comedy tent (oweing in no small part to tommy tiernan) and last years headliners (not including fatboy slim) were great makes it the better option. though the clash of the flaming lips and kraftwerk is unforgivable.

Post by Guest »

russg wrote:ok, ok, i've got to ask...sorry for my basic ignorance. What actually does IMO stand for? What is it?
IMO means "in my opinion" IMHO :lol: :wink:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

found this at http://www.theprimalscream.com

Riot City Blues
Primal Scream have finally named there forthcoming album, it's called 'Riot City Blues.' Below is the apparent tracklisting.
01 - Country Girl
02 - Nitty Gritty
03 - Suicide Sally & Johnny Guitar
04 - When The Bomb Drops
05 - Little Death
06 - The 99th Floor
07 - Boogie Disease
08 - Dolls
09 - Hell's Comin' Down
10 - Sometimes I Feel So Lonely

New Single 'Country Girl' Released May 22nd on Columbia

enjoy
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i love primal scream to bits. i'm a bit worried this album's going to sound bad though. youth and dave sardines produced and mixed it. fingers crossed though. song titles like boogie disease bode pretty well.
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

anortherntoiletbowl wrote:youth and dave sardines produced and mixed it.
and it sounds like it's gonna be a song (as opposed to sonics) based effort,-,-,-which will probably mean having to suffer much strangled-Glaswegian-dickhead yodelling....never a good thing (rare and remarkable exceptions being the hushed and beautiful pairing of JESUS and HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BELONG from STAR)

the music will probably be fucking fab as ever,,,,,,,but that nob will (at least partially) blight it with more of the fuck awful "i'm such a drugfucked politically dangerous enemy of the state feel my skirt baby yeah yeah" shit he's been peddling for over a decade now
anortherntoiletbowl wrote:song titles like boogie disease bode pretty well.
no...they just bode for an album full of tunes with titles espousing more of the shite pretentious "let's try and do the dirty filthy teenage blowjob rock thing for the umpteenth time yeah baby lick mah love pump" cliches that the name Gilleprosy is now synonomous with...
at heart,,,,,i love bobby
but...he is squeaky clean...he's not dangerous...he's a whiny limpdicked div

Post by Guest »

simonkeeping wrote:I doubt in ten years time people will give a shit about Franz Ferdinand and bloc party
agreed...fucking cunting bastards
simonkeeping wrote:Bobby G cares about music and I think at the end of the day thats what makes them great.
he does care about music...one of the reasons that keeps him worth retaining a modicum of affection for...when he rhapsodizes the music of others he becomes a righteous medium for the Holy word...problem is-- he behaves like a pretentious dick most all of the rest of the time

what makes the scream great is that they boast some of the country's most fearsomely singular and creative musicians in their lineup...bobby ain't one of them,,,,just an enthusiastic and well informed Pop historian
simonkeeping wrote:I will conclude by saying that I always see them like the last gang in town. Renegades standing up for rock and roll.

they could be the sharpest most hipped clued up motherfucking gang in town...were it not for the excesses (and i'm not talking sex, drink or drugs here) of the lead singer...bobby wants to be axlrose in his '88 pomp...no fuckin' chance
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

BUMP!

...Image
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Bazza wrote:
anortherntoiletbowl wrote:youth and dave sardines produced and mixed it.
strangled-Glaswegian-dickhead yodelling.... blight
anortherntoiletbowl wrote:song titles like boogie disease bode pretty well.
no...
Well Barry... I think you're a fucking idiot, but if you're wrong about all this, I'll eat a hat.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

simonkeeping wrote: I will conclude by saying that I always see them like the last gang in town.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid ... mal+scream
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

...Image
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

i can't seem to get excited by the scream at all
maybe i aint crushin' n sniffin' those diet pills properly
is throb still in the band? fcukin' stupid name that.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

...Image
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

...Image...

Post by Guest »

john lydon wrote:you've got to be anti-fun not to like primal scream

;)
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

groan, that was me.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

That single is absoutely terrible

Post by Guest »

Yeah, the single really is appalling. I loved Xtrntr--one of my favorite rock records of the last ten years--but this, this is just...oh boy. Hearing Gillespie moan about "what can a poor boy do?" makes me pine for the likes of Guns n Roses. James Blount is more legitimate than this cack. My God...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

How do you get that laughing skull thing you guys managed to include there?

I wanna put it next to the entire Scream catalogue.

(oh yes, I know - apart from Screamadelica. Yes, yes, you almost caught me out...)
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

if you mean my munching finger nail gif just click on it...
Last edited by duppyconquerer on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

...Image...
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

....he aint laughin, he's pensive...Image...
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Well, on the basis of Country Girl, it will sound like The Wonder Stuff Play the Big Country Songbook.

And not 'in a good way', either.

Post by Guest »

will this do? wrote:Well Barry... I think you're a fucking idiot
well you can go take your face for a good hard shit..Baz-hatin' blert

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
will this do? wrote:Well Barry... I think you're a fucking idiot
well you can go take your face for a good hard shit..Baz-hatin' blert

FIIIIIIGGHHHT...!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:
a beautiful noise
Known user

i like country girl. and not just becuase it was written in my living room.

i think it's a side of the scream that has been absent for awhile.

if you don't like country girl you won't like the album.

as for me well, i can't waite for the album's proper release.

xxme

p/s- the video is on the other hand terrible. bob looks great though.

woo-hoo long live the scream.
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

Anonymous wrote:Yeah, the single really is appalling. I loved Xtrntr--one of my favorite rock records of the last ten years--but this, this is just...oh boy. Hearing Gillespie moan about "what can a poor boy do?" makes me pine for the likes of Guns n Roses. James Blount is more legitimate than this cack. My God...
LOL! groovy appraisal!
really can't wait to hear it now!
a beautiful noise
Known user

well if you listen to the lyrics you would understand that it isn't the "poor boy" in that sense.

more of it's a girl that's a bit out of control and what can a poor boy do.

got it. good.

:wink:

me
stretched-out
Known user

Post by stretched-out »

'Country Girl' is a cracker of a song. proper basic head nodding rock n roll

if the rest of the albums half as good i'll be delighted. just wish i could get to hear the fucker before the Wolvo gig
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea the single is terrific.
reminds me of cotton eyed joe.

you gotta ask yourself, though live in japan stands as one of the great live albums, they were pushing the xtrmntr approach a bit far - evil heat was weak.

and i pine for guns n roses every waking moment.
Bazza!!!

Post by Bazza!!! »

jack white wrote:yea the single is terrific.
reminds me of cotton eyed joe.
LOL
a beautiful noise
Known user

i have no clue what a cotton eye joe is (should i being form the states??) BUT when mani played it for us he was really excited for us to guess where they borrowed the mandolin part from.

i told him that everyone's gonna know you swiped it from "maggie may".

i like the mandolin bit, it's my favourite part of the tune.

xxme
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

im so, so sorry (i really am):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxZnVV_W ... 0eye%20joe[/url]
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

jack white wrote: and i pine for guns n roses every waking moment.
standard.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

just saw the country girl video on telly and i totally love it. i laughed all the way through. can't wait for the album.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I can't wait to hear this - both single and album - it could only get better if there was reference to "an influence of early 2-Unlimited"...

Up with the Scream Team!

Shonn, I cam't believe you're unfamiliar with 'Cotton Eye Joe', I know the video for that was 'world-class'
a beautiful noise
Known user

ohhh my, it all came crashing back.

i had never seen the video.

was that popular abroad? i don't think it was too popular here. well maybe in the south. no offence folks.

but hey bZa, you gotta admit, that's some mighty fine fiddlin'!

haha 'cotton eye joe'.

that made my morning.

xxme

p/s- if a building is ever set to implode in your neighborhood, go see it. it's a amazing to hear and watch.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

a beautiful noise wrote:

p/s- if a building is ever set to implode in your neighborhood, go see it. it's a amazing to hear and watch.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

ABN, is there a long psychedelic song on the new Scream record? If there is which track is it? Maybe I imagined someone saying this...
I still can't tell wether I like Country Girl. My head is saying 'no', but my heart says 'it's ok'. I really like that song about dropping bombs, not sure of it's proper title...
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

it's not bad
not great, but not bad
don't think i'll buy the album if that's the standard tho
a beautiful noise
Known user

yeah yeah there was a 70's pysch tune. sure enough.

bazza, it's got more than i'm giving it credit. anybody with a large spectrum of musical influences will really enjoy the new album.

i really wanna hear the tracks that VV from the kills sings on. they weren't on the mix that mani gave us.

uhm, yeah go see a building implode, it's loud, intense and a brilliant thing to see. booom ba boom ba boom boom boom!!!!!!

:roll:
a beautiful noise
Known user

p/s- i'm not sure what songs are on the official release. mani had no idea what the names of the songs were. but i'm safely assuming that most will make it. hopefully they leave the blues number out. it gotta a "thumbs down" from everybody when we heard it, even mani!

xx
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

a beautiful noise wrote:bazza, it's got more than i'm giving it credit. anybody with a large spectrum of musical influences will really enjoy the new album.
me ears are open, du
pessimism aside, i'm hopeful of digging on this record!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Anyone heard this yet?