Neil Young.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

natty
Known user

Neil Young.

Post by natty »

Have been listening to Neil Young a lot of late having not done so for ages, and it's been a bit of a re-discovery. I think he's a bloody genius. The solo on "Down by the River" is just ace. 3 notes, and it goes on... and on... and the guitar sounds on "Like A Hurricane" and "Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) are amazing. He seems to divide people's opinion a bit though, is he rated round here?

I'd also like to track down a bootleg of his performance at Reading '94 if one exists. I remember it being amazing. Any ideas?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

did he play Reading at 94?? Christ, which tent was I in then?
rameses
Known user

Re: Neil Young.

Post by rameses »

natty wrote: I think he's a bloody genius.

Damn fucking right!! Well said natty 8)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

natty wrote:
.... is he rated round here?

I'd also like to track down a bootleg of his performance at Reading '94 if one exists. I remember it being amazing. Any ideas?
I like Neil.

Did he play with Pearl Jam that year? I'm sure I had mates who went and seen him...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Neil Young a genius? Too fucking right. He's an absolute legend in my eyes. I've got practically every official album release on CD (apart from Landing On Water and Everybody's Rocking which are meant to be pony). His collection takes up practically a third of the space on my MP3 player. Have only seen him once live, Finsbury Park 2001, and was blown away. The Year of The Horse Video is simply wonderful, with some excellent footage from the 70's. Hope he's got another tour with Crazy Horse left in him, would love to see them over here again.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

yep, i love neil too.
hi bza, where you been? we were about to send out a search party. or at least start another ''where is...'' thread! =)[/i]

Post by Guest »

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/

95 with Pearl Jam amongst others
under n for neil not y for young

and yes he is a genius, Down On The Beach is beyond criticism,
and is any one else his age still releasing stuff that is essential,
i'll choose to ignore trans and hope it goes away
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

yeah yeah i'll give my shout out for neil young as well.

if anybody in the u.k. has not seen 'silver and gold' do so at once. that's the way i really like neil young, just him and a guitar/harmonica/banjo/pump organ/12 string, well you get the picture.

i've been trying for ages for someone to get ahold of the live show that spiritualized did with neil. "APPARENTLY" there is a bit of a jam session that happened or they both played a neil track or vice versa.

again if anybody could shed a light on this that woulds be great.

but yeah, neil is fantastic.

xxme
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone seen the new Neil movie yet, "Heart Of Gold," that was directed by Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs)? It's getting great reviews. I have to get out and see it soon.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

The one I´ve been listening to most the last year is "chrome dreams" - the supposedly unreleased album from - 77.. but it´s probably just demos and stuff put together as a sales trick by the bootleg company.

neil young is a whole lot better than most of the artists and bands discussed on this forum. A true hero! 8)
a beautiful noise
Known user

TheWarmth wrote:Anyone seen the new Neil movie yet, "Heart Of Gold," that was directed by Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs)? It's getting great reviews. I have to get out and see it soon.

hey paul, hoefully you will get more out of it then i did. it's just too smaltzy at points. he does the entire new album and the next night knocks out a few of familiars.

the way it's filmed is gorgeous. it just was very reminiscent to a concert that i saw a few years ago (when beck opened). he had all of his family and friends up on stage and they did what you would expect.

but yeah, neil is great, and a treasure.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

ahw, yeah...i think it's on 'silver and gold' (video/dvd) he does a version of 'out of control' that's just amazing.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Anybody know when "Heart Of Gold" is to be released in the UK?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

a beautiful noise wrote:i've been trying for ages for someone to get ahold of the live show that spiritualized did with neil. "APPARENTLY" there is a bit of a jam session that happened or they both played a neil track or vice versa.
Aren't the live tracks on the Electricity EP's from that Neil Young support slot? I always wondered if they were the entire set (just 5 songs but they do last for over 1/2 an hour). I'd be really interested about any info about this tour too. Spirutalized/Neil Young & Crazy Horse....I think that would have to rank as my dream gig.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Ads wrote: Aren't the live tracks on the Electricity EP's from that Neil Young support slot?
I think they are indeed. I also believe that was the tour that spawned the ARC - WELD live album.( I could be wrong about this) The WELD part is ok as live albums go, but ARC is fab (not unlike Guitar Loops in many ways).
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

[/quote]I think they are indeed. I also believe that was the tour that spawned the ARC - WELD live album.( I could be wrong about this) The WELD part is ok as live albums go, but ARC is fab (not unlike Guitar Loops in many ways).[/quote]

No, the Weld/Arc tour was 1990/1991 around the time Ragged Glory was released. The Spiritaulized tour with Young was 1996. I personaly think Weld is utterly fantastic, and was the album that got me into Young. I still have yet to get my hands on a copy of Arc though, but if its like Guitar Loops you may have just put me off!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I stand corrected. Perhaps I was thinking of tour with Sonic Youth.

ARC is fantastisic. I got it as part of the WELD live album (3 cd set) It seems that it doesn't come that way anymore. 40 minutes of feedback and other miscelaneous noises.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Anonymous wrote:,
i'll choose to ignore Trans and hope it goes away
Trans! Incredible album...that record is up there with 'Time Fades Away' or 'Tonight's the night', as far as i'm concerned.

'Sample & Hold' is a classic! Young's voice sounds great through the robotizer... actual technical term there

And U_nder...i've been here and there...busy & humbled, cheers!
d.ragmop

Post by d.ragmop »

can't beat neil young, it's all about tonight's the night, on the beach and everybody knows this is nowhere and american stars and bars thrown in for good measure for me
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

we should have done one of those rate Neil Young's records(or at least top 5 or 10) like we did w/th Mary Chain.
Zuma
Tonight's The Night
Everybody Knows
Rust Never Sleeps
On The Beach
Life
Ragged Glory
After The Goldrush
American Stars & Bars
Hawks & Doves
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Rust Never Sleeps is the only one I really like, but I really like it.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

I'm sure I once read that Neil Young had the drone sound from "Pure Phase" playing constantly in one room of his house.
This is probably bollocks, but a compelling idea nonetheless.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spzretent wrote:we should have done one of those rate Neil Young's records(or at least top 5 or 10) like we did w/th Mary Chain.
For me, if its a top 5, its got to be:-

1) Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
2) Zuma
3) On The Beach
4) Tonights The Night
5) Rust Never Sleeps

I think those 5 would look good in anyone's collection and would give a Neil Young novice a good view of what Young is all about. I can't believe you'd only pick Rust $26. Its a very good album but I'd say Young has bettered it several times, but thats just my opinion.

If it was a top 10 I'd add in Ragged Glory, Live Rust, After The Goldrush, Freedom & Weld (in no particular order). Looking at that lot, its all pretty rocky and mostly with Crazy Horse. On another day I'd probably have picked more acoustic stuff (Harvest, Prairie Wind, Silver & Gold) but I feel in a rock out mood today.

Post by Guest »

absolutely agree, NY is the man...I think Greendale is one of the best things he's done in about 20 years (though love Sleeps with Angels and Silver & Gold)...although I can't listen to Prairie Wind, i think it's a pile of MOR shit...
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

my NY top 6 (in no particular order):

Tonight's the Night
Zuma
Everybody knows this is Nowhere
Rust never sleeps
Freedom
On the Beach
(those 6 could change on any day...)

Also, the Greendale film is a masterpiece and the Dublin show in Vicar St that came as a DVD with the Greendale CD was one of his best shows...and he played Ambulance Blues during the encore which wasn't included in the DVD...
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Pat Garrett wrote:I'm sure I once read that Neil Young had the drone sound from "Pure Phase" playing constantly in one room of his house.
This is probably bollocks, but a compelling idea nonetheless.
Where did you read that?! Man, how I wish that was true!

Although I do like Neil Young I'm hardly ever in the mood to listen to him whining away. Buffalo Springfield however...ImageImageImageImageImage
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

My NY top 5

Rust Never Sleeps (Thrasher is my favourite NY song EVER - never fails to make me shiver)
Live Rust
Ragged Glory (The first NY album I heard properly. Loved it from day 1)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
On The Beach

At the risk of being derided by the rest of the forum, I'd also like to give an honourable mention to Mirrorball :oops:
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

while i think there are some good songs on Mirrorball, I just wish he didn't record it with Pearl Jam..
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

And the Dead Man soundtrack is excellent, works really really well with one of Jim Jarmusch's best films...
a beautiful noise
Known user

Broc wrote:And the Dead Man soundtrack is excellent, works really really well with one of Jim Jarmusch's best films...
yeah good call broc, thats a great film and the soundtrack is beautiful, a really nice combination of music and film.

i also really enjoy the album 'silver and gold'. it's a nice touch.

stars and bars just doesn't do much for me. if i can find it i'll put that one on later to see if my opinion has change dover the years.

xxme
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
On The Beach
Rust Never Sleeps
Silver and Gold

oh, and Harvest of course - I'm listening to this right now.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet - I admit that some of it's kind of overplayed, but I still find it to be much more enjoyable than something like Tonight's The Night - which has its merits of course...

I noticed that Zuma made it into a few top 5's I just picked it up recently but haven't been able to get into it... time to give it another go. Interesting artwork...
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Y'know, people might laugh, but I think a handful of his best songs are actually on his debut album. "I've Been Waiting For You", "I've Loved Her So Long", "The Loner" and even "The Emperor of Wyoming" are certainly among the Neil songs I'm most likely to find myself humming. I'm in the unusual position, I think, of really disliking both Harvest and Tonight's the Night (and On the Beach), but as I've said I play the first album all the time, or at least the twenty-five minutes of it that's good (dispensing with "Last Trip to Tulsa" and "The Old Laughing Lady) if a little muzaky.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Yeah the artwork for Zuma is great, think it depicts a myth about the fall of the Aztec Empire....interestingly it's the same guy who did the artwork for the cover of Greendale...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I like "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere", "Harvest" and "On the Beach" myself. After that it gets a bit tricky...
nukisarocknrollstar

neil young

Post by nukisarocknrollstar »

everbody knows this is knowhere, after the goldrush, on the beach, rust never sleep blimey what more do yu need
nukisarocknrollstar

Post by nukisarocknrollstar »

apart from maybe LGmelodies, pure phase and perfect prescription
Simba!
Known user

Post by Simba! »

natty wrote:Have been listening to Neil Young a lot of late having not done so for ages, and it's been a bit of a re-discovery. I think he's a bloody genius. The solo on "Down by the River" is just ace. 3 notes, and it goes on... and on... and the guitar sounds on "Like A Hurricane" and "Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) are amazing. He seems to divide people's opinion a bit though, is he rated round here?

In the circles that i hang out in, this counts as sacrelaige, so not sure about this place, but personnally i prefer Neil Young to Bob Dylon and believe him to be the solo artist genius of the last 40 years.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I too prefer Neil over Bob. I love them both, and have all of the albums that are considered to be their classics. I can appreciate how Bob may be more important and more intellectual in a way, but Neil simply moves me in ways that no other musician can. I'm a big fan of the Tonights The Night/On The Beach era, and the hazy desperation of those albums is stunning. I think I'll put one on right now....
DuppyConquering

Post by DuppyConquering »

Simba! wrote:
In the circles that i hang out in, this counts as sacrelaige, so not sure about this place, but personnally i prefer Neil Young to Bob Dylon and believe him to be the solo artist genius of the last 40 years.
Hmmm. Doesn't your circle allow differences of opinion. Or are you talking about The Neil Young Appreciation Society (NYAS), not to be conused with CSNY. Personally I prefer Buffallo Springfield. But, for me, Dylan reigns supreme. Don't let divided opinions put you off here though, it would just be boring if we all agreed on everything. Though I think we did all agree that Guitar Loops was superb.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: neil young

Post by TheWarmth »

nukisarocknrollstar wrote:everbody knows this is knowhere, after the goldrush, on the beach, rust never sleep blimey what more do yu need
You need Time Fades Away on sweet, sweet. vinyl.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Tonight's The Night and Comes A Time for me. Goin Back on the latter is possibly my favourite NY song ever.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

TheWarmth wrote:You need Time Fades Away on sweet, sweet. vinyl.
Or every Neil album up to "Everybody's Rockin" on vinyl.

They did prepare TFA for a CD release back in 95, as part of a batch of HDCD mastered NY albums that had never previously graced the format. Those are what came out in 2003. TFA and the Journey soundtrack are the only 2 that we're still waiting on.

Upped the HDCD TFA (+single Bside) earlier for a buddy -- here's the link for anyone who ain't heard the album yet.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... A0587E296A

Time Fades Away (Neil Young) [Myriad, Oklahoma City, March 1st 1973]
Journey Thru The Past (Neil Young) [Public Hall, Cleveland, February 11th 1973]
Yonder Stands The Sinner (Neil Young) [Coliseum, Seattle, March 17th 1973]
L.A. (Neil Young) [Myriad, Oklahoma City, March 1st 1973]
Love In Mind (Neil Young) [Royce Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, January 30th 1971]
Don't Be Denied (Neil Young) [Coliseum, Phoenix, March 28th 1973]
The Bridge (Neil Young) [Civic Auditorium, Sacramento, April 1st 1973]
Last Dance (Neil Young) [Sports Arena, San Diego, March 29th 1973]

The Last Trip To Tulsa (Neil Young) [State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, February 18th 1973; B-side of Reprise 45 #1184]
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i prefer dylan but harvest moon is beautiful
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

I LOVE Neil Young. He grew up and played in his first bands, about 20 minutes away from where I live, in Winnipeg. The guy is a total genius, and if there's someone i'd like to meet, it's him. Now there's someone who's managed to play a few different styles and pull them off, not to mention basically having complete creative control. Truly a living legend, and outclassed only perhaps by Dylan in terms of accomplishments, catalogue, and respect.

I read an interview with him where he said what he was after was "elevation. Feel", in regards to playing a couple of notes, rather than alot of notes as a guitarist. I think that relates a bit to Pierce, as well....he's not someone who I think is a technical wizard, but can say alot with a few, like the lead in "Lay It Down Slow".
No Gourd/Only Delirium
New user

Post by No Gourd/Only Delirium »

Neil's mid-60's Elektra demo, for anyone yet to hear it.

Nice reading of "Sugar Mountain" (predates the one included on "Decade"), plus nods to Young's immediate future in the Springfield with the origins of "I Am A Child" surfacing hazily in "The Rent Is Always Due" as well as a pre-Furay pass at "Clancy" (later reclaimed by Neil as a sporadic feature of early Crazy Horse and Goldrush era solo sets). A clutch of interesting rare NY originals, too.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... D31E165668
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

cheers man, looks good!
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Plus, in the "Dylan vs. Young" category, I think Neil wins hands down. Not only is he still releasing albums every year or two (or in the case of the last year, TWO albums in a year), but Neil is animated on stage (moreso with Crazy Horse, less so when he's behind the piano or in folkie mode), stomping around like a madman, truly giving you the sense that he's out there for the fun of it. He also gives plenty of interviews and is quite candid at this point in his career, when--let's face it-- he doesn't have to (the entire week on Conan was great, again, he doesn't have to play live to sell records, but he did).

Dylan on the other hand comes across as an anti-social person, ungrateful to those who come to--and pay big money--for his gigs, hardly saying anything to them at shows. I've heard that it's boring as hell, too. I like Dylan's recorded output, but there's no way that i'd pay 100 bucks a ticket to see him sit on a stool (no offense to SP3!! :D ) and ignore the audience.

Neil by a landslide. Neil's at least trying to consistently explain himself and what he's doing to seem relevant in this ever changing musical world, Dylan thinks he is that musical world. Know what I mean? Bob thinks it's good enough that he's there, and that people should think that's good enough. I always think that artists and bands should have something to prove, that hunger to win over their audience. Dylan could care less, because what he has to realize is that he has his entire post-death career to become a god. When he's alive on this Earth, he still has something to prove. He ain't no Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie or Robert Johnson yet.

But what I think is cool is the the upper northern Central region in Winnipeg/ Minnesota have spawned two of the greatest, if not the greatest writers.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

yes
Last edited by bunnyben on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

bunnyben wrote:
:lol: :lol: that was one of the most ignorent funny post i've read for a while :wink:
Student's grammar these days, eh?

Bunny's end of term report:

Must try harder.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

yes
Last edited by bunnyben on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

yes
Last edited by bunnyben on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

That's scary! I hope your dissertation will have better grammar - otherwise forget about it.

Why are you in such a bad mood?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

yes
Last edited by bunnyben on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

bunnyben wrote:
b) found out im working cmas eve and boxing day meaning i can't be home for cmas day and then i had to break the news to my parents who were not in the slightest happy and did the whole parent guilt trip and all the feeling that come with that
Sack the job off. I wouldn't sacrifice Christmas with my family for a few quid in some shitty job. I can understand why your parents are annoyed.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

posts edited- this is about neil young. private information should remain that way.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Erm, if you say so.

:?