Next SPZ album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Strong Medicine

Next SPZ album

Post by Strong Medicine »

I'd like to know how all Spiritualized fans out there think the next album -if there is one- will sound?
Will it try to sound harsher than Amazing grace? Will he try to recapture the vast inner perspectives of depression and recovery of LAGWFIS?
What do you think?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Personally... I hope it sounds like Guitar Loops.

It probably won't though...Dirtbombs are guests (?)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I can see it being different again, but probably pursuing a more 'raw/basic' feel than anything prior to Amazing Grace, if the new songs played at the Gateshead show last year appear on there.

Post by Guest »

someone here asked J at one of the London gigs recently and he said it was something of a companion piece to Amazing Grace, with a 'dry' sound.
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

i missed the pure phase days.

i like amazing grace very much but...

let it flow - spread your wings - good times... *sighs*
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Hear hear. And don't forget the Slide Song. What I'd give for another gem like that...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Yeah, "The Slide Song" was a bit of a good'un, wasn't it. I just hope there aren't any tracks I want to skip through on this one, like I did with "Let it Come Down" and 'Amazing Grace". Although I think "Amazing Grace" was a bit underrated on the whole, and "Let it Come Down" overrated.
Strong Medicine

Thats's right. And Ithink there was a certain cohesion to Amazing Grace which Let it... really lacked, which was also why Let it... seemed like it lasted at least two hours (never managed to listen to that album all the way through).
I think it's a good thing he wants to stick to the dryness of Amazing Grace (Guess he has no more tears to cry). Maybe he will find something huge by looking deeper in the same kind of musical area.

Post by Guest »

Strong Medicine wrote: Maybe he will find something huge... kind of musical area.
Musical area?! That would be spectacular! A movie like Oliver or South Pacific in space, with jazz breaks! All singing, all dancing J, overcomes the demons that he has encounted over the years to create a heart-warming future family favourite (possibly set in the future).
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I liked what I heard on the video put up ages ago in admissions.
Some nice droney keyboards and some wicked guitar riffs. Cant really remember the new stuff at the Sage gig? Was way to mashed. Remember reading it was a bit countryish on the Guardian site? But lets face it the press cant always be relyed on can they. Come to think of it wasnt there talk of posting up some of the Sage gig a while ago????

Post by Guest »

Damn! I knew I would have a problem of this sort. Being French and trying to talk to English speaking people who have listened to Spz A LOT (just like me) (except for the English speaking part), I knew that I would have someone writing something which I wouldn't understand. Could someone tell me what "Guess" meant? I just know it was funny, but... What was his point? I just couldn't get it.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

simonkeeping wrote:I liked what I heard on the video put up ages ago in admissions.
Some nice droney keyboards and some wicked guitar riffs. Cant really remember the new stuff at the Sage gig? Was way to mashed. Remember reading it was a bit countryish on the Guardian site? But lets face it the press cant always be relyed on can they. Come to think of it wasnt there talk of posting up some of the Sage gig a while ago????
My memory is pretty vague as I was pretty stoned and drunk, but I think there were 4 new songs, 2 of which I remember pretty clearly. One was pretty country-ish, and another was very velvets-sounding. Both were cool. "Lord Let it Rain on Me" was also treated to a new set of lyrics, which may or may not mutate into a new song. Your guess is as good as mine...[/i]
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

Fuzzy keyboard drones, shimmering guitars, spacey swoosh sounds, and choir boy vocals. I'm not really bothered if he's retracing old ground, treading water or revisiting past glories; anything but 'Never Goin' Back'.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Amazing Come Down Phase in Space Melodies
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes

Post by Guest »

orbital, i thought you were going to explain the musical bit joke to the french person.
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

What do you do if you find a trumpet growing in your garden?
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

Root-it-toot

Post by Guest »

i'm sure that did the trick!
:lol:
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I don't care that much about the production style that J chooses, I just hope that there's some great songs in it this time. Amazing Grace had it's moments, but it was the only album where I felt that Spiritualized was starting to do things by the numbers. Several "Electricity" numbers and some slower songs that mention Jesus and Babe. I think the most interesting direction explored on Amazing Grace was Rated-X, and I could see Jason elaborating on that quite a bit. In the way that it was written, Amazing Grace was hindered from the start. It was an interesting experiment nail the songs down as fast as possible in an attempt to record the spontanaity of a band not totally familiar with the material, but at the same time, how often is a rough draft better than the revisions? It could have been improved, and it was, at the live shows after the material had been worked over some.
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

ORBITAL wrote:Amazing Come Down Phase in Space Melodies

You know that's what you want too...
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

i think he's been covering the same ground since Ladies and Gentlemen (well lyrically anyway)...and i sincerely hope he doesn't make another mess of a Spacemen 3 song...
russg

Post by russg »

Broc wrote:...and i sincerely hope he doesn't make another mess of a Spacemen 3 song...
which spacemen 3 songs has he made a mess off so far?
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

Messy Radiation, Take me to the messy side among others
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Mess with Jesus?
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

So messy
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

http://www.80snostalgia.com/modules.php ... ent&id=269

I just hope he doesnt do a cover of a ragged flea bitten dog that steals pies from peoples ovens and hangs around with a witch and a vicar.

Having said that, its a good name for an album.
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around the city, keeping its SPEED over fifty. And if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called... "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

How about that for the name of the new album.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

I hate to sound fatuous, but are we all pretty much in agreement that J made his best music when he was on the gear?
Strong Medicine

Does that mean he's off?

Post by Guest »

Strong Medicine wrote:Does that mean he's off?
is the pope jewish?

Post by Guest »

I hope its a melua/blunt/bailey rae soul searcher

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I hope its a melua/blunt/bailey rae soul searcher
yeah, that'd be great, particularly if it had a nice helping of radiohead too.

:shock: :shock: :(
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I have heard a rumour of a new track entitled 'No win, No Claim'. About a man that falls off a ladder at work and attempts to sue his employer. Its got a guest appearance by a small mug from the pharmacy hitting hammers on a canoe.

Post by Guest »

simonkeeping wrote:I have heard a rumour of a new track entitled 'No win, No Claim'. About a man that falls off a ladder at work and attempts to sue his employer. Its got a guest appearance by a small mug from the pharmacy hitting hammers on a canoe.
bonus. now i'm wet

:roll: :oops:
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Your not in the canoe are you?

Simon - those would have to be fucking tiny hammers!
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

russg wrote:
Broc wrote:...and i sincerely hope he doesn't make another mess of a Spacemen 3 song...
IMO 'So hot, wash away all of my tears' was way way too overblown, much preferred the more intense and stripped down sound on PWF....'Lord Can you hear me?' is a bit better but would still pick the originals any day...i really didn't see the need to re-work them...before i first heard his new version of 'Lord can you hear me' i could have bet my record collection it was going to end up like it did....that's jusy my opinion.. ....
satellite
Known user

Post by satellite »

Broc wrote:
russg wrote:
IMO 'So hot, wash away all of my tears' was way way too overblown, much preferred the more intense and stripped down sound on PWF....'Lord Can you hear me?' is a bit better but would still pick the originals any day...i really didn't see the need to re-work them...before i first heard his new version of 'Lord can you hear me' i could have bet my record collection it was going to end up like it did....that's jusy my opinion.. ....
i thought the version of 'lord can you hear me' on let it come down was awesome. but... i also really liked the whole album, and from browsing this forum a bit i'm thinking i'm in the minority on that one...

i'm initially disappointed to hear that the new album will sound more like amazing grace. although it has a couple of songs i really love, so far it's been my least favorite overall. so the dirtbombs are involved? while i do like them, i always kinda put them in a different class of bands than spiritualized. definitely interested to hear what it will sound like...

Post by Guest »

my friend says the whole of the next album is about a crocodile that spits thousands of tiny springs out it's mouth, and some bloke has to run around after it with a tiny pair of tweezers taking the springs out of tiny cracks in walls.

he takes mdma powder every day so i dunno how reliable this is.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

"rumor has it" that the dirtbombs are doing backing vocals. and hopefully some more hand claps. hand claps are good.

xxme
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

a beautiful noise wrote:hand claps are good.
i saw some people clapping hands during the Torino winterolympics, but maybe that was only cuz it was about ski-flying.

but the Dirtbombs affair makes the new album rumours shine brighter. gosh, how groovy it will be?
on their website there is nothing about their attendance on the new SPZ album.
but some cool photos are there:
http://tomdeater.com/photos/dirtbombs/index.htm?5
looks like the group is having good time, somehow i imagine that The Heads are similarly pelting theirselves.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

what ever its like, it'll be better than all the dog shit thats out there at the minute. Personally I like the orchestral droners, but if the dude wants to garage, let him garage. Its not my fuckin band

have the heard the fuckin tune that goes on about 'closing the god damn door' hahahaha, is that popular.
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

Any date yet? Does he have a label? Is it even done?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Anonymous wrote:my friend says the whole of the next album is about a crocodile that spits thousands of tiny springs out it's mouth, and some bloke has to run around after it with a tiny pair of tweezers taking the springs out of tiny cracks in walls.

he takes mdma powder every day so i dunno how reliable this is.
yeah, i heard that too!
can't wait.

but what i'm really hoping for is no effects on jason's voice.
and singing:
"where i li-i-e"
like that.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

please NO MORE Spiritualized albums?

pretty please?

just making the rest look like pieces of shit too.

AMAZING POOP.

GUITAR POOP.

THE LONG AND WINDING POOP.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

nope.. not really. I just like the way it rolls off the tongue. I sound like a redneck? lol, read the thread honey.. it's hilarious how you can cut someone down thru destructive criticism and get high and mighty about my calling you a bunch of faggots. I am pretty secure about the fact whether I come off like a redneck or not, my use of the word is funny to me, and in the end, that's all that matters :)
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

So, if you racially abused someone you could defend yourself by claiming it made you laugh?

The mind boggles...
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I personally believe we all need to get in touch with our feminine side..
What does racial abuse have anything to do with my calling you a faggot? I mean, it's not like I attacked anyone specifically, it was just a personal observation, like the ones you guys spew constantly on people's music. I have no problem with racial slurs and pejorative natured words because I choose not to give them the power you do. It's really a matter of personal preference of how we all have been going about degrading each other in this here thread.

Peace out!
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I can just see you driving down the road in your pick up truck w/your rebel flag license plate and Calvin pissing on________(fill in the blank) window sticker.
Shouting "faggots" at all the passersby.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

feetsies wrote:You guys are so fucking rude. How can you mess up your own songs? Just because you don't get it, not that I do, doesn't mean you have to be complete tools about someone's art. Isn't Jason in the middle of trying to get the new album started? I'd think you asshole would try and be inspiring moreso than cutting. After reading this thread, I wouldn't want to put anything out. And you wonder why he doesn't interact on here. Yer all a bunch of faggots. :P

Listen STINKY FEET,

I am comfortable with my SEXUALITY,

as pointed out before by MR. SONIC BOOM I like to wear alot of PINK...

So what...

If I was in love with a MOUSE would that matter to YOU?

Fact is...

JASON don't come on here.

If he did I am sure he would defend himself VIGOROUSLY and it would

be quite hilarious.

However...

HE is a PUBLIC FIGURE.

And I am sure his FEELINGS are CALOUSED by now.

One "FAGGOTS" opinion is not going to matter to him.

I stand by my view however.

HIS recent MUSIC (i use this word loosely) is

POOP.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

and there you have it from our "unnoficial" moderator Muscles.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

spzretent wrote:I can just see you driving down the road in your pick up truck w/your rebel flag license plate and Calvin pissing on________(fill in the blank) window sticker.
Shouting "faggots" at all the passersby.
Spot on!
I'm an illegal immigrant from mexico and I'm a gardener.
I drive an old mini toyota truck.
-D. H. Lawrence
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

spzretent wrote:
feetsies wrote:
I'm perfectly fine with the word simpleton. lol
no shit. you should be.
I'm just having fun, you need to chill, brah.
-D. H. Lawrence
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Are there MODERATOR positions AVAILABLE?

Where do I fill out the application?

How much is JASON paying these days?

Will said he was a little CHEAP?

After I throw over a few TACO CARTS at the IMMIGRANT RIOT this

afternoon I would like to apply?

What happened to FISTFULL OF DOLLARS? :cry:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

no one mentioned cigarettes.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

FEETSIES.

I find you amusing.

Why don't you meet me at LITTLE JOY later this evening after the

MEXICAN RIOT?

We can listen to GUITAR POOPS and tongue wrestle.

I'll buy you a MAURGHERITA?

8)

PISTONS play tonight ya know?!?!

hee hee!
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

Muscles wrote:FEETSIES.

I find you amusing.

Why don't you meet me at LITTLE JOY later this evening after the

MEXICAN RIOT?

We can listen to GUITAR POOPS and tongue wrestle.

I'll buy you a MAURGHERITA?

8)

PISTONS play tonight ya know?!?!

hee hee!
I prefer the shortstop. I had no idea you were in LA, Muscles. What a coincidence.. I never turn down free booze tho, got any weed?
-D. H. Lawrence
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i need to chill Brah.

what is that LA Valley neck speak?

By the way:
Fags= Cigarettes
Faggots= Gay men
Brah= something to hold your titties in place. :shock:
Last edited by spzretent on Tue May 02, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Shortstop is good too. I saw a chick in there who looked like JESSICA ALBA. I live in ECHO PARK.

I don't really like WEED anymore. My mom found my SEEDS and I have never recovered from that. I still really enjoy COCCAINE.

I could just sit there and snort lines and listen to MUSIC for fucking days.

JUMBOS CLOWN ROOM has $2 Tap Beer from 4-6 I think...

Are you going to THE RIOT?
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

spzretent wrote:i need to chill Brah. what is that LA Valley neck speak?
Fags= Cigarettes
Faggots= Gay men
Brah= something to hold your titties in place.
ahahahaha, you are a funny guy. I wish I was a redneck male, I guess that's why it's my alter-ego on here. I'm a mexican redneck female sweetie. My neck is red from picking the strawberries and protesting and the rioting will come this evening. VIVA LA RAZA!
-D. H. Lawrence
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

Muscles wrote:Shortstop is good too. I saw a chick in there who looked like JESSICA ALBA. I live in ECHO PARK.

I don't really like WEED anymore. My mom found my SEEDS and I have never recovered from that. I still really enjoy COCCAINE.

I could just sit there and snort lines and listen to MUSIC for fucking days.

JUMBOS CLOWN ROOM has $2 Tap Beer from 4-6 I think...

Are you going to THE RIOT?
I pleas the fif on the booger sugar. lol

I live in Echo Park too, OH MY GAWD! Like that's so raad!
I try to stay away from Jumbo's. I got a rash on my leg last time from sitting on one of their chairs. lol
-D. H. Lawrence
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

The last word I got today was "still being written, but comeing along well. Thank you for listening."

pura raza,
mels

edit: as for the jackass part, give me a break. I rather read that than pages and pages of bitching that people haven't gotten their mugs or that Amazing Grace is shit or more pages of people overanalyzing people's motivations behind lyrics and what not.. nigga plz.
-D. H. Lawrence
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

Gizzle ma nizzle doh gibletz mon frizzle. Edith Chubb
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

GOLD ROOM is excellent! I like to go there in the day time.

MEXICAN WAITRESS's in the Push up bras!

Senorita!

Mucho Spicy!

Little Joy and Short Stop are fucking annoying after 8pm. Too many ECHO

PARK Scenesters.

El Compadre across from Guitar Center is better. Really fucking dark.

I went to Ye Rustic Inn to watch The Pistons only for them to tell me it

wasn't on. Had to watch DALLAS. (WHAT????????????)

Best new bar is CHA CHA across from RED LION.

Happy hour drinks !

After 8pm you get the HIPSTERS again?!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

feetsies wrote:

opinions are like assholes..
You mean that you are only meant to have the one? In your case seems so.

Is your 'asshole' as fucked as your 'opinion'? (or does that sale too close to the word 'faggot' for your liking?)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

chill brah
:shock:
double entendre. see earlier post for definitions.