Anti-piracy measures.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Phillipo
Known user

Anti-piracy measures.

Post by Phillipo »

Is there any way of getting around the anti-piracy features of CW Volume 1?

I want to rip the album onto my mp3 player, but it doesn't like playing on my PC.
sonic chronicler
New user

Post by sonic chronicler »

There shouldn't be any problem playing the discs in your drive. On the cover (the UK edition) it says it's fine for PC playback.

Just stuck disc one in and Windows media player picks it up fine.

Just used Wavelab to import 'Step Into The Breeze' Pt1 onto my hard-drive, no problems there.

Is yours a UK copy? maybe you need to get it changed.

Sonic
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Never tried to rip CWV1 but usually the security is written into the first track, so you might have to miss out track 1.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

My copy of CWI wasn't copy protected (I got that from CD WOW before they started having to add a surcharge, so it's probably not the UK version) that ripped ok. CWII has got copy protection (this came from HMV for an extortionate £16.99 - but I had a voucher left over from Xmas to use). This ripped ok aswell. In fact it plays ok on my PC, my stereo, in the car and on my CD/MP3 walkman, so I don't see the point of the copy protection anyway.
Phillipo
Known user

Post by Phillipo »

When I try to play it on either my PC or my X Box, there are clicks in the middle of songs, if the songs play at all. It works fine in every hi-fi I try though, and I read somewhere that it was due to the copy-protection.

It's a UK copy, bought in WH Smith.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

I'm no computer expert, so apologies if this is absolute rubbish, but I seem to remember hearing once that new anti-piracay measures on CDs only work if your computer has autorun enabled. With autorun enabled, the anti-piracy code comes into play.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

The Anti-Piracy on CWV1 works by introducing invalid data into the music waveforms which the error correction on domestic CD players can fix, but PCs, having no error-correction, can't. The upshot of this is that the error correction chips on your CD player will be working overtime, so sound quality is adversely affected.

My advice - download a copy of CDex (it's free), set the ripping to "full paranoia", and it'll take ages but will work. I have a pristine rip of CWV1 to wave files which I then burned my own copy from, so I can listen to it without poor sound quality spoiling the experience.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

ripped it couple of months ago using an alternative win98/95 only system driver (dont remember its name). with xp it didnt work for me even with autoplay off
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

my LICD is copy protected, you can rip the first 3 or 4 tracks fine, but the rest you're fucjked.
"Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going and don't slow down ... lets have a little fun ..."
- Hunter S Thompson