Bettye LaVette ~ I've Got My Own Hell To Raise

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Bettye LaVette ~ I've Got My Own Hell To Raise

Post by TheWarmth »

In case anyone hasn't heard this fantastic album yet:

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2UKT ... 2YB2UMB4OK
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

excellent, cheers warmth!
yer a gud 'un, no mistake.
=)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Nice one! cheers ;)
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

She's playing in London soon (when I'm away...).

Here's the info;

Live at the Jazz Cafe
Monday 15th May
doors 7pm
£16.50 advance

Bettye LaVette, one of the supreme voices in soul music, makes her Jazz Cafe debut following the release of her latest compilation, Child Of the Seventies: The Complete Atlantic Recordings.

In advance of her forthcoming album of new recordings, which is due for release in the autumn by Anti Records, soul diva, Bettye LaVette, crosses the pond for this one of show.

Ms. LaVette is currently working with artist and producer, Joe Henry, who was also responsible for Solomon Burke’s Grammy-winning, Don’t Give Up On Me, album in 2002.

This will be the latest chapter in a long musical career that started in 1962, when, at the age of 16, Bettye recorded a tune called, My Man – He’s a Lovin’ Man, which was released by Atlantic Records, the first of many nationwide record labels for whom Bettye LaVette recorded during the 60s and 70s.

Dave Godin, the esteemed English soul music writer and archivist, claimed: “There are dozens of really top-drawer female soul singers in what is a highly competitive field, but few can match the flawless totality of conveyed experience that Bettye LaVette never fails to achieve... She is the consummate artist who can relate on every level. Take Bettye LaVette away from Soul music’s history and there is a gap which no other person I can think of could have filled."

Although she never achieved the level of commercial success her extraordinary talents deserved, Bettye LaVette’s music has long since made an indelible impression on soul fans around the world – in the UK, for instance, she was one of the pivotal artists in the 1970’s Northern Soul movement.

Among the labels for which she has recorded are Motown, Calla, Atco, Epic, Silver Fox, West End, SSS International and Street King.

Her classic tunes include Piece of My Heart – a recording that clearly influenced Janis Joplin’s version of the song – and Your Turn To Cry, a mesmerizing deep soul performance released as a single by Atlantic’s Atco label in 1972.

Anti-Records is also the label home of such artists as Tom Waits, Jolie Holland, Daniel Lanois as well as the aforementioned Solomon Burke album. Says Anti president, Andy Kaulkin: “The consistent quality of Bettye’s work over the last 40-plus years is amazing. From her creative song choices to the fire of her performances, she has always stood apart. This great artist has been seriously slept on, and we want to do everything we can to change that.”
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

first music i've listened to after a week of being sick in bed- my two-dollar promo copy of this very groovy record.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Bettye LaVette is touring again:

http://www.rosebudus.com/tourdates/lavette.html
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

If you can, you have to go and see her live. One of the best gigs i've ever seen - somehow evrything clicked that night. Perfect crowd, perfect sound, and the perfect voice.
O P 8
ro
Known user

Re: Bettye LaVette ~ I've Got My Own Hell To Raise

Post by ro »

"I've seen both Otis Redding and Stevie Wonder naked, so I think I've earned some seniority"

~Bettye laVette, between songs, on stage tonight.

:D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ro, I hope you enjoyed that gig, i'd love to see her live again. Hope she did the accapella bit...amazing! :shock:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

hey Bza, yes, it was the very last thing. My friend wanted to leave right before it so we left but heard it from outside.. and went back in. You could've heard a pin drop. She was on fire, as they say.