The Cinematic Orchestra

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

I think I smell self promoting spam...
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

no self promotion. they are very good. best appreciated live. Europieans love them, if that sheds any light. I love them. Is Spam spinach and ham? because it doesn't taste like it..I wasn't round in WW2, and I'm not european.

Spam, bam, thakyou mam.....
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

duppyconquerer wrote:no self promotion. they are very good. best appreciated live. Europieans love them, if that sheds any light. I love them. Is Spam spinach and ham? because it doesn't taste like it..I wasn't round in WW2, and I'm not european.

Spam, bam, thakyou mam.....
No. There's nothing as healthy as spinach in it.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

i thought not! but i read once (i think) that that's why it was developed, during the second world war to give the carnivors some bit of roughage with their pig, I've always disputed the fact personally, on the grounds that, form taste, it's probably made out of plastercine.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

i've got 'man with a movie camera' which is a live album that they made as a score to a 1929, silent avant-garde film by dziga vertov...and it's sweet. you can also get the dvd of their score over the film - i haven't seen that but have heard it's great.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Can't remember the names, but I think it's the first two albums on ninja tunes I have. Kind of Jazzy stringy coffee tableness. The second one's got Roots Manuva on with one of his more formulaic raps on. A friend insisted I have them but I gotta confess I have only listened to them a few times and was a little bored really. Saw them live a while back and they were actually very good. But not good enough to make me want to listen to at home. It's natural environment being a slightly dry dinner party. Like the Gotan Project.

That's the first two albums, haven't heard the rest.

On a dancey jazzy vibe, has anyone heard the last 'meat beat manifesto' record? it's meant to be properly free-jazzy, nothing like the old Megadog raves (which were great), and it's on 'thirst-ear' as well, who are usually brilliant at that sort of thing.... is it any good?

Talking about Thirsty Ear, I heartily recommend the new Beans record (ex anti pop consortium), it's a free improv courtesy of William Parker and Hamid Drake, produced by Beans, with his beats and rhymes bubbling up everynow and again. Not sure if it's out properly yet..
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Excellent band and well worth checking out live if you get the chance.

Caught them in Cargo a few years back and I was well impressed.

A gig:
http://www.iol.ie/~hedspace/Music/cinematiclive.zip
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

chaps, here's the cinematic orchestra covering radiohead.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Jig, I heard how good a gig Cinematic Orchestra played locally was, I really wish I'd seen it now.
An older tune (I think) I heard by them was a bit like Faze Action - in particular an album...I can't remember the name of!
It was from the nineties...I no longer own it.

But it was good...

And Jig, i suspect you must also be a member of Funkadelic judging on your previous...promotions. :shock:

On that note, have you heard Clinton's latest solo 'joint'?
Double LP madness, some review suggested a masterpiece...thoughts?