Ride

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spcmn mthr fckr
Known user

Ride

Post by spcmn mthr fckr »

whats everyones verdict on Ride?

ive never heard much by them before, but the odd track i've heard i wasnt hugely into. Today I saw 'Going Blank Again' in music zone for the princely sum of £1.97, so gonna be giving that a good listen to tonight.
gimperella
Known user

Post by gimperella »

Even though i personally love the band - especially around the Going Blank Again era (i could almost say that Ride were criminally underrated) - I think that they were to shoe-gazers what Franz Ferdinand are to indie - a kind of good looking bunch of lads which appeal to the young girlies and provide music which you don't have to think about and which is good for a dance or a sing. Ride just did it in a shoe-gazer type of way. OX4, Mousetrap and Black Night Crash are (i think) my favourite tracks of Rides.

But i would like to apologise for comparing Ride and Franz, cos Franz suck. Tho a couple of them sometimes wears a nice shirt. I bet.
Edukator
Known user

Post by Edukator »

'Nowhere' and the 'Today Forever' EP are by far the best stuff they did. Loz's drumming is amazing! They shouldn't really have carried on any longer than '94. After that early '90s peak it all went downhill really.

This ('Today') though, is tasty. I love it when the drumming comes in half way through
:P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LTth66 ... Shoegazing
Come on now people, come on and slide with me
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i thought that too and then picked their box set and thought it weird i never gave anything after Nowhere a second thought. Its all pretty good and yes, they were crminally underrated.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The 1st Ride EP (which kicks off with Chelsea Girl) is one of the finest debut releases in history. All 4 tracks are glorious and suprisingly intense and heavy. I can't think of many debut releases that are better to be honest.

I felt they wouldn't be able to maintain that level but quite a bit of the subsequent stuff is decent.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Their first Reading Festival appearance was brilliant.
What really got me into them was that, at the time, I was going through a real "wah-wah" phase and all their songs seemed to involve heavy use of the Cry Baby.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

gimperella wrote: I think that they were to shoe-gazers what Franz Ferdinand are to indie - a kind of good looking bunch of lads which appeal to the young girlies and provide music which you don't have to think about and which is .
I appears dudes liked em' too :lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

yeah, I saw their 1st Reading gig too & the one where they came on just before Public Enemy (1992?). In fact Ride used to be up their with my favourite bands. Their first 3 or 4 EPs were absolutely brilliant. You can get the first two EP's on a sinlgle CD, Smile. They'd pretty much lost it by the Tarantula album though, although many would argue that the previous Carnival Of Light wasn't up to much either....I think its got some pretty good stuff on there myself.

I have to agree that Loz was a really good drummer. And to think, Andy Bell now plays bass in Oasis....fucking absurd.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Ride is definately underrated. The box set is worth getting if your a Ride fan. Got a chance to get one of the 'limited' ' Coming Up for Air ' cd's that have them jamming in a studio post-Ride for the first time together. Never seen them in concert, but my friend says that their concert performances were the best ! Mark Gardener is not good as a solo act ...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I think Tarantula is hugely underrated. Some great guitar sounds on it.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

spacemanrich wrote: Mark Gardener is not good as a solo act ...

They were never my absolute favourites, but I beg to differ (about Mark Gardener). I saw him playing on his own earlier in the year, and it was alright. The highlights were his renditions of various old songs, but - hey...

He's talking about getting a band together to play the stuff...

A *contact* reports seeing the other 3 out and about, enjoying each other's company, this very weekend... Mark wasn't there because he was playing abroad somewhere.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

dreams burn downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

also you can't say the jesus and marychain were pretty boys :lol:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Here is their BBC Sessions album that was posted on Shoe Gaze Hookups (don't mind the name):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U1OMTAX2

It's pretty amazing. Highly recommend giving it a listen.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I rmemeber the first time Iheard Ride. It was a n amazing experience. I was 13 and I heard them live on Radio 1 as a part of the Great British Music weekend. I remember thinking I didnt know there were people out there making this kind of noise. The first Album is the most complete in my opinion. I love the track ‘leave them all behind; especially for the noise at the end. Any fans of the end of show wall of sound on the last Spiritualized tour should check it out. But the first album, surely a lost classic? dreams burn down, seagull, vapour trail and the title track Nowhere. All touched by the same pop/indie genius.

I dare anyone on here to not listen to ‘vapour trail’ on a bright blue sunny day and not feel a warm glow inside.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

Nowhere and GoingBlankAgain! + Smile, TodayForever, grasshopper from the LeaveThemAllBehind single, birdman from CarnivalOfLight..

I never bought the twisterella single cause I didnt like that song as much but the b-sides on that one was ok.

the rest is so disappointing.. they were one of my favourite bands and suddenly they decided to become a 60:s garage pop band or something, not that there´s anything wrong with that, but it didn´t work for them at all.

Why try hard to be pale copies when you are wonderful originals? One of the huge mysteries in music history in my opinion. :cry:

then Spiritualized came along! :D
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

That's another band that I need to get more into. Even though i'm from the middle of Canada (read: middle of nowhere), most of my major influences all tend to be British! (ie: Bolan, My Bloody Valentine, Spiritualized, SP3, Stones, etc). Everything that I heard by them was really good, though.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

nowhere and loveless were two albums i really wanted to like. i have grown to like nowhere, the sense of grove in the wall of sound is amazing, (although i did not like sleeping with ghosts, gardners solo project), but loveless i am just loveless for, although i reallly like isn't anything.

i came to the ride party late- obsession with oasis- andy bell joining oasis- me thinking 'hmm maybe i should actually check out ride and hurrican #1 now.

better late than never eh!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

bunnyben wrote: but loveless i am just loveless for, although i reallly like isn't anything.
Hmm.....that's like, one of the only times that i've heard a MBV fan not liking Loveless!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just browsing on E-Bay and saw this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIDE-LOT-OF-15-CD ... dZViewItem

Interesting.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Ads wrote:Just browsing on E-Bay and saw this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIDE-LOT-OF-15-CD ... dZViewItem

Interesting.
Less than 5 hours to go, and only USD20! That's only $1.33 a CD! What a steal.
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Wow thats quite an ebay bounty! I'd love to get hold of that live at reading album- all the bootlegs i've heard have been rather poor quality but i don't wanna rebuy the stuff also in the boxset!

My two penneth is that the first album and all the early EPs are utterly fantastic, but it was a rather swift decline after that- i find even going blank again a bit patchy.

and yeah loz is a fantastic drummer- isnt he playing for the mary chain at coachella?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:and yeah loz is a fantastic drummer- isnt he playing for the mary chain at coachella?
Are you serious? Bloody hell...indie heaven!

Was tempted with that Ride bundle myself but had most of it and onl really wanted that Reading live CD too. Was there for that gig and it was amazing.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ads wrote:
angelsighs wrote:and yeah loz is a fantastic drummer- isnt he playing for the mary chain at coachella?
Are you serious? Bloody hell...indie heaven!

Was tempted with that Ride bundle myself but had most of it and onl really wanted that Reading live CD too. Was there for that gig and it was amazing.
You'd better believe it!! I couldn't believe my eyes either

http://aprilskies.amniisia.com/

You lucky git for being at reading..
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I used to love Ride, they were my favourite band when I was about 13 or 14, until I discovered Spacemen 3. "Nowhere" is still one of my favourite albums and every time I hear "Vapour Trail" it still makes me feel like a lovesick teenager. They seem to have been kind of forgotten, but the first 5 EP's (up to and including "Leave Them All Behind") and the first album are awesome.

I agree with Angel Sigh though that I find Going Blank Again a bit patchy. Don't really listen to it these days, and their output from thereon in is fairly forgettable, although still worth a listen. I kinda lost interest once they ditched the GP16 effects and feedback.

Of all the "Shoegaze" bands I still listen to Slowdive the most.

Does anyone remember Blind Mr Jones?
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

Mark Gardener is playing live, free, at the Sonic Catherdral show in Reading on the 2th
Huxley123
Known user

Re: Ride

Post by Huxley123 »

http://www.mixcloud.com/AndrewPiranBell ... e-mixtape/

Andy Bell mixtape

William Basinski made this album called “The Disintegration Loops” back in 2001 and made an eerie film to go with it which depicts the Smoke from the collapsed World Trade Centre Twin Towers which he was watching out of his NYC window on 9/11 while he was recording this music. The album itself is made from 20 year old orchestral tape loops which were decaying as he was archiving them. The genius of this is that he had tapes running to record this decay process. The music is like a much more organic sounding version of some of Brian Eno’s music from the 70’s. I really love it.

Serge Gainsbourg’s Melody Nelson is an album I’ve discovered recently when I bought it as part of a Rough Trade East Vinyl binge last year. I got into the habit of playing vinyl records on Sunday mornings, stuff like Nick Drake, Gainsbourg, Vashti Bunyan, Richard and Linda Thompson. The Melody Nelson album sounds incredible on my Dansette (which has now gone back into storage to make way for the new baby) and then I ended up downloading some mega deluxe version off iTunes recently because I couldn’t do without it. Great drums and guitars, oh and string sections, and bass, actually great everything.

I’ve been playing “Smokers Delight” by Nightmares On Wax a lot this Summer, it’s seemed to suit my mood. I honestly can’t remember ever feeling like a British Summer has gone on for this long, or is it just me? Feels like I don’t even try and make the most of the sun anymore, I just take it for granted as if I’m living in LA. Maybe 1976 was like this. I was 6 then and I remember the heat haze coming off the tarmac of my street and making everything wobble.

I don’t know too much about Hype Williams. The product of a late night iTunes wormhole the context of which now is gone forever. Really like them / him / her though. Blood Orange is definitely my most played album of 2014 so far. It’s recently being possibly overtaken by the new Brian Jonestown Massacre album, Revelation, which is without a doubt the best album they’ve ever done, and the recent live show I saw at the Roundhouse in London makes them in my opinion the greatest live band currently going. They’re not on this mixtape though … Blood Orange are, and I love the horns on this song and the female vocal. Dev Hynes is incredibly talented and I’m a big fan of the All-Black Strat he plays. His album, Cupid Deluxe, will probably be battling with Revelation for my album of the year.

I’m trying to think where I first heard about MEEKS but they are so up my strasse it’s stupid. They have only gone and re-imagined the Beatles catalogue as if played by My Bloody Valentine circa Loveless and made the results into an album they’ve called “Beatless” I love it to bits. My pal Robbie Spectrum played me this Talk Talk remix album on a very hot afternoon down in Brighton. This mix and the 12” remix of “Happiness Is Easy” would sound great being played by Nancy Noise at Balearico’s on a Friday night at Red Market (which was my favourite night out of the Summer so far)

I re-edited ‘Love to love you baby’ by Donna Summer, very haphazardly, purely to play out at a recent DJ gig at the Lock Tavern in Camden I did with Arveene, the night Chile lost out to Brazil on penalties. I can’t remember if I ended up playing it or not but it was a top night. Frak’s Dallas Evenings is a great tune I know nothing about, and when I chanced a few quid on an early Tangerine Dream compilation when I was at a record fair in Sweden recently, I didn’t expect to find a graceful and timeless tune like this.

I read about Synchro System by King Sunny Ade in a magazine, some well known DJ (whose name escapes me) had him on a playlist and as I like the little Afro Beat I’ve heard, which at the moment amounts to a few Fela Kuti tracks and not much else, I was interested to check it out. Really like this tune. Beryl’s Tune, (which is the best song title on this mix for sure) by Augusto Martelli is a tune I was played by this cool italian DJ dude called Lorenzo by the pool in Tenerife a few weeks ago. He had it “blasting” out of his iPhone. I heard the sitars and felt the old call of the wild. Finishing with a couple of tunes from the brilliant Phantasy Label. Daniel Avery’s album is so ace, and Erol Alkan made an EP called Illumination which I’ve only just heard (although it’s been out since last year) and this is track two. Thanks to Arveene for getting these to my ears. We’ve reached the dizzy heights of 124 bpm at this point and I definitely need a lie down. Thanks for reading, thanks for listening.

Dedicating this hour of music to my new son Cashel Hudson Bell, (1 week old) who is listening to it right now and seems to be digging it. Wishing everyone as good a Summer as I’m having.

Andy B X
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

So seeing as Andy's got no band to play in, surely now's the time?!

Alan Mcgee has made some noises about a reunion and Mark Gardener has been retweeting messages on the subject...What do people reckon?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Andy's not in Liam's band no more, whatever their called ?

I don't know if Andy and Mark get along ? Read the Creation book and it seemed like Andy is kinda bossy.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, it's gonna happen. I'm pretty sure.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Wouldn't be surprised. The money will be there. Following suit with Stone Roses, MBV and Slowdive.

Next reunion will be SP3 ... yeah right.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

would definitely love this to happen. both Mark and Loz appear to be favouriting and retweeting Tweets about them reforming, that doesn't necessarily mean its happening but at least means they are keen.

They all get along now... if Andy was bossy I am sure he wouldn't last long working with Noel & Liam.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I can see the likes of Andy trying to boss Liam or Noel :?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

the mary chain had worse problems than bossiness and they found the space in their pockets to suck it up for the money so i am sure ride can too. noel once said andy bell would phone him and go 'what's the time' '3.30 andy...' 'o, ok' and then hang up. he said that this song was a pun about that

though gem wrote it

andy bell wrote

o memory lane- seeing oasis in manchester when theis album came out- being scared of all of the topless skin heads (i gradually moved further and further back to avoid the elbows and skin heads standing around a single girl and threatening to fight anyone who accidently bumped into her) and bored even though it was deemed their 'favourite show' ever in interviews afterwards
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

and then he wrote

also noel states before heathen chemistry andy and gem were too scared to bring any songs to him, and when they did they sounded like oasis songs...

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ride reunion?

That's all we need... :wink:
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

and if oasis reform as well then ride can support them and mr bell can get two paychecks :wink:

natty
Known user

Post by natty »

It's on, I tell ya. Andy and Mark buried any hatched a long time ago. No reason not to now, really.

They were fucking brill live, too.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And so there you have it... Primavera 2015.
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Incredible.
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

"World tour". I guess I should consider myself lucky that I'm only 4 hours from a show.

05-22 Glasgow, Scotland - Barrowland Ballroom
05-23 Manchester, England - Albert Hall
05-24 London, England - Roundhouse
05-26 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
05-27 Paris, France - Olympia
05-29 Barcelona, Spain - Primavera Sound Festival
06-02 Toronto, Ontario - DanForth Music Hall
06-04 New York, NY - Terminal 5
06-07 London, England - Field Day
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm excited, and will definitely catch either the Manchester or London show..
but why do I have the slight feeling this could go either way? we'll see I guess.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I can't tell if I'm excited or not. I don't think I am but my finger will hover over the BUY TICKETS NOW button on Friday morning for nostalgia reasons. I loved them so much around the first few EP's and Nowhere, saw them play live as often as I could, but then lost interest quickly around Going Blank Again after liking the lead single but being disappointed by the album as a whole. £30 to re-live my youth? Tricky one. Maybe half a gram of speed in a pint of cider like the old days of seeing them will get me really excited again.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

hmmm nostalgia? some things are better left in the past, me thinks. the marychain are playing ten mins away from my front door on their next tour, the bunnymen a 30 min walk yet i just can't seem to care. the last bunnies album i couldn't get past track 5 and the live album from that tour about track 5 or 6. the live versions are usally better and they were but even then dull. the verve kinda took the nostalgia thing for me and kicked it into touch. when did i even last listen to nowhere?

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

johnnyboy wrote: £30 to re-live my youth?
Are they really £30? :shock: Fuck me, that's one hell of a piss take. If they come to Ireland i'll definitely go as they were one of my favourite bands of that era and those early records/gigs were superb, but i can't say i'm excited. I still hold the opinion that all these bands should just stay in the past.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

If the price is too high and you're not excited, why are you planning on attending? I don't understand the logic there. Seems like you've already convinced yourself that they won't live up to memories of gigs you saw years ago.

AFAIK, the performances Slowdive and MBV put on during their recent tours convinced me that it reunions can be worthwhile. The mbv album convinced me that reunion albums can be worthwhile. As such, I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing what Ride do in 2015. If they fall flat, I'll always have the albums.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:If the price is too high and you're not excited, why are you planning on attending? I don't understand the logic there. Seems like you've already convinced yourself that they won't live up to memories of gigs you saw years ago.

AFAIK, the performances Slowdive and MBV put on during their recent tours convinced me that it reunions can be worthwhile. The mbv album convinced me that reunion albums can be worthwhile. As such, I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing what Ride do in 2015. If they fall flat, I'll always have the albums.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're as good as they were first time around, i just don't tend to get excited about these kind of things...
It's true that MBV still had it and Slowdive were good when i saw them in September having never got to see them before, but....would it bother me if they had never returned? No.
Despite my preferences for things to remain in the past, at the end of the day my curiosity and the fanboy in me tend to win out in these matters.
I still think thirty quid is steep though :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I guess I am more open minded in these sort of things. I think reunions can go either way. I would rather be there and make my own mind up, rather than potentially miss out.

Records are great, but there is something about a band playing live that makes it a living, breathing thing.

Just the chance to see Loz doing his stuff will be great- phenomenal drummer.
I still listen to the early stuff (and choice picks from Going Blank Again) regularly so this isn't nostalgia for me. Plus I was still in junior school when Nowhere came out :)

I think the price is pretty standard, considering they have no record company backing them up and are only doing a few dates at this point.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I am half tempted to give this a go. Early Ride gigs were phenomenal. I have very strong recollections of seeing an accoustic guitar on stage at one of the post-Nowhere gigs and thinking: 'this could be shite'. I guess if they play a set made up of the eps and Nowhere, with one or two other tracks tossed in, I might go. But if they decide on lots of songs from Carnival of Light then this could be messy. In short, this would be a nostalgia trip for me, so it must be top quality nostalgia :lol: please.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Read all about it here http://www.drownedinsound.com/in_depth/ ... k-gardener

Early EP's, Nowhere, and some of Going Blank Again sounds pretty good to me. I played Nowhere last night and it did feel good.

When the tickets go on sale at 9am tomorrow I'll be nowhere (no pun intended) near a computer, in fact I'll be sat in a classroom full of 6 year olds as part of my daughters Dad Day at school. Could be tricky.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

There are some great tracks on Carnival of Light: "Moonlight Medicine" and "Birdman" could both be particularly awesome live. I listened to "Grasshopper" this morning, which I've always loved. I could see them pulling out a few rarities like that, which would be really neat.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I saw them in the 90's on a dual tour with Lush. It was the loudest show i have ever seen. I was certain blood must be dripping from my ears as I walked out.
They were good.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

olan wrote:I am half tempted to give this a go. Early Ride gigs were phenomenal. I have very strong recollections of seeing an accoustic guitar on stage at one of the post-Nowhere gigs and thinking: 'this could be shite'. I guess if they play a set made up of the eps and Nowhere, with one or two other tracks tossed in, I might go. But if they decide on lots of songs from Carnival of Light then this could be messy. In short, this would be a nostalgia trip for me, so it must be top quality nostalgia :lol: please.
I'm most nostalgic for the complete absence of beer gut and grey hair associated with 1980's/90s me. I would need a fairly large jar of swarfega to fit into my Ride-issue stripey t-shirt circa 1991 these days, and a pair of shears to get out of it..... :cry:
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I'd really love to go and see them on this tour particularly as I never saw them live first time round. I have various bootlegs that I uploaded on my bootleg bonanza host a while ago along with some of the gigs that Mark and Andy did together.Similarly, I would also love to have seen the Mary Chain Psychocandy gigs. Whether it's childcare,work or just life, only really tend to get to see maybe one gig per year if I'm lucky now. Do tend to also find it quite frustrating when these things go on sale that it's 9 o'clock on a Friday morning. I simply can't use work computers to do that and therefore if it was an opportunity miss out or have to pay a huge markup on the original ticket price.

Nostalgia is great-I would also love to have gone and seen The Stone Roses on their comeback gigs. It's just simply not a realistic option!

The Butlins concerts have also now branched out on their marketing ploy with an old school indie all dayer. Very tempting once again but part of me also actually feels quite anxious. I'm always very self-conscious at gigs well as being quite nervous. On more than one occasion, have actually come away really unhappy at the end, having had the experience spoilt by other pi**** up or otherwise individuals having no idea how their behaviour affects other people's evenings.

Sorry if that makes me sound rather 'square' as I think the old expression goes, but all I tend to do now is simply not go, be VERY disappointed and wish I could summon up the courage to go.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I've been quite critical of reforming bands in the last but I have to say I'm very excited about this. Ride were the first band that really meant something to me. I remember hearing there live show on radio 1 from Wembley Arena in 1991 and although it sounds quite over the top I can honestly say with hand on heart it changed my life. The sound they made was huge, powerful and beautiful. It was like discovering hidden treasure. Listening to Nowhere it still sounds timeless. Some of those albums from the early nineties sound dated and flat but nowhere still sounds really powerful. The production really captures the power of there live show.

Andy Bell with his foot on the wah so it's really nasty, trebly and ear bleeding loud, Mark Gardener slashing away at his Ricky, Steve with that huge bass sound and Loz who in my humble option is one of the best drummers of the period. The guys playing is insane and he's one of the few who actually know how to hit drums properly so they sound good.

I wasn't lucky enough to see them last time around so I'm really excited to see them play, not out of any sense of nostalgia (okay, maybe a bit) but I really just want to see them play live and experience that sound.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Shoegazers Ride have announced their return, confirming a series of live dates for 2015.

The band will reunite in May for a UK tour that includes dates in London, Manchester and Glasgow, plus shows in Paris, Amsterdam, Toronto and New York. Ride will also make festival appearances at Primavera Sound in Barcelona on May 29 and London's Field Day on June 7.

In this week's issue of NME, on newsstands and available digitally now, Ride's Andy Bell said: "It's going to be really cool. As we were all still friends, we always thought when the time was right we'd do it. And now the time is right."

"People bought our records first time round," frontman Mark Gardener added, "but our music has grown in significance since we've been away... We want to give the people what they want. We'd be idiots to go out and play a new album, but that's not to say we wouldn't make new music."

Gardener confirmed that while "there are no plans as such" for a new LP, he's "sure there will be writing because that's what undoubtedly happen when we rehearse".

Ride formed in Oxford in 1988, releasing four albums – 'Nowhere' (1990), 'Going Blank Again' (1992), 'Carnival Of Light' (1994) and 'Tarantula' (1996) – before their split in 1996. They reformed briefly in 2001 for a Channel 4 documentary and 'Best Of' release.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists ... 0iPIyoq.99

Guitarist Andy Bell, formerly of Oasis and Beady Eye, now of the newly reunited Ride, has opened up about the recent Beady Eye split in a new interview with NME.

Frontman Liam Gallagher announced the group's split on October 24, when he stated that the band were "no longer" and thanked fans for their support.

In this week's issue of NME, on newsstands and available digitally now, Bell said:

[Beady Eye] just sort of ran its course really. Liam had been pretty quiet for a while, and them he just let us know that his heart wasn't really in it any more.

Bell added that the band split on good terms, and the split did not come as much of a surprise. "It's been a long fade, really," he said.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/beady-eye/81225 ... zKm6SpC.99

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so people, who got tickets and for which date?
I managed to get one for Manchester.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Missed out as neither me or the Mrs were anywhere near a computer when they went on sale :( Chasing a friend who is a director at the Roundhouse to see if she can sort us out. Fingers crossed. I really don't want to miss this and if we were unable to go to the Roundhouse I'd be really tempted to see if we could go to Primevera instead and make a holiday of it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Primavera looks a good option for us as well. We ended missed out on the roundhouse but I think there will be tickets popping up here and there over the next few months...
Field Day will be good but it's a shame the sound there is always so quiet
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Both North American dates are sold out. Tickets for a little over $100 on stubhub at the moment.

Grrrr...

I'm sure they'll do some west coast dates. Just think of all the hipsters they're leaving out!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:so people, who got tickets and for which date?
I managed to get one for Manchester.
My cousin manage to get us a a couple of tickets for Glasgow Barrowland, looking forward to it :)
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

toomilk wrote:Both North American dates are sold out. Tickets for a little over $100 on stubhub at the moment.

Grrrr...

I'm sure they'll do some west coast dates. Just think of all the hipsters they're leaving out!

If the Mrs. Decides not to go, I'll have an extra. Won't know for a while though.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Really happy to have nabbed 4. Looking forward to this gig. My wife is soooooooo happy!!!
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:Missed out as neither me or the Mrs were anywhere near a computer when they went on sale :( Chasing a friend who is a director at the Roundhouse to see if she can sort us out. Fingers crossed. I really don't want to miss this and if we were unable to go to the Roundhouse I'd be really tempted to see if we could go to Primevera instead and make a holiday of it.
gutting Shines.. I know how much of a huge Ride fan you are.
I am sure there will be spare tickets floating about.. on this forum if nowhere else.

I had no probs getting tickets at all.. I think maybe because I didn't use the usual seetickets site and went with the less obvious.
I always say I should go to Primavera as the lineup is guaranteed to be brilliant. maybe this will be the year..
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I missed out on tickets as I was in hospital with my wife who was giving birth to our second child, a little boy.

My ex-missus is pretty friendly with Mark so am hoping she'll do the right thing and get my name on the guest list for one of them.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I suspect they will do a world tour after this first tour. This first round will be earlier stuff apparently. I presume the eps and first album

Tickets are much cheaper that $100 on stubhub. I bought 2 for $126 after $20 off cyber monday sale. You can get balcony for $50ish
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]