New Sonic Boom/Flowers Of Hell track up on Myspace

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

poppy
Known user

New Sonic Boom/Flowers Of Hell track up on Myspace

Post by poppy »

Heya -

The Flowers Of Hell did a track with Sonic Boom a few weeks ago called 'Through The F Hole'. If you fancy an early listen, it's been posted at http://www.myspace.com/flowersofhell. It's a Neon Sigh/Ecstacy Symphony kind of thing.

The album it's from was mainly produced by at the Contino Rooms by Tim Holmes of Death In Vegas and will be out in mid October on Earworm.

Kirk out.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Just found this link, if anyone's interested:

"Here is a full set from a gig in a nuclear bomb shelter under a castle in Slovakia. Flowers of Hell - Live at SubClub 6-15-2006"
http://complicateddancesteps.blogspot.c ... -hell.html
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Jebus Sabes wrote:Just found this link, if anyone's interested:

"Here is a full set from a gig in a nuclear bomb shelter under a castle in Slovakia. Flowers of Hell - Live at SubClub 6-15-2006"
http://complicateddancesteps.blogspot.c ... -hell.html
wow, that went unavailable right quick :shock:
I think I feel it coming on
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

aint bad
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

Early Spiritualized with a classical element is what most of the reviews of the Flowers Of Hell album on Earworm are saying. Here’s mainly the most spz/sp3 relevant quotes:

“If you like Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized and Spectrum, prepare to be very happy!”
complicateddancesteps.blogspot.com

“There really is no way of ignoring the early Spiritualized comparisons here. Nor those with Spacemen 3 - Sonic Boom even appears on the album. But to settle on just that would be doing a disservice to this London band who also introduce quasi-classical work outs into their ethereal mix.” Time Out

“A swirling monster of understated guitars and violins that ebbs and flows like Spiritualized at their most incandescent and Godspeed You! Black Emperor at their most apocalyptic” throwawaystyle.blogspot.com

“The influence of Sonic Boom rears it’s head…train track drums combine gloriously with a wall of brass and skeletal guitar lines. Essential listening for all those enamoured with the current shoegaze revival.” Rocksound 8/10

“From the lonesome trumpet that carries opener Sunrise Retreat to the plucked strings and vibrating bass of spooky finale Telescopic Suite, the Flowers Of Hell is a drama-packed, instrumental odyssey.” Evening Standard 4/5

“The order of the day here is clearly dictated by the work of Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized. Along with the extended guitar psych-out drones there are some frankly gorgeous string elements separating it from its influences enough to be considered a marvellous achievement in its own right.” Boomkat.com

“One of the year’s finest albums” Reverb (Sound Control’s mag) :)
ArcLight
Known user

Post by ArcLight »

I got the album the other day, it's not bad. One track stands out as real Spaceman 3 like, the 13 mins Opt Out. I'm not really that up on Sonic's Spectrum stuff but it's lacking in the Playing with Fire type drones that Opt Out offers. I'm reserving full opinion until I've lived with it for a while.