These Blues

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Which version of These Blues do you prefer ?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:40 pm

The blissed out unreleased Recurring Version
33%
The more raucous pure phase version
67%

Total votes: 15

clewsr
Known user

These Blues

Post by clewsr »

not that interesting I know, but I'm bored bored bored :roll:
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

i'm all for the PP version, especially live. one of my favorites.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I did think about putting a third option of that live version from shepherds bush you circulated, Spaceline. But I thought that would confuse matters. That was very good, much better than the Pure Phase version.

still prefer the recurring version tho'.
Ian

Post by Ian »

clewsr wrote:still prefer the recurring version tho'.
Me too, so that's my vote, but my ideal would probably be a finished Recurring version rather than just the demo. If only there were such a thing.

Love,

Ian
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

No, this needed to be talked out. I would definitely side with the Pure Phase version. The Recurring demo is extremely apathetic, and, as well, made redundant by the fact that it's more or less identical to So Hot. On the other hand, the 'raucous' version is easily one of Jason's finest rockers, and one of my favorite Spiritualized tunes as a whole, both in the stunning album version (with one of Sean Cook's best bass recordings) and especially live.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I wholeheartedly agree. I like the recurring demo, but it doesn't really stand out for me other than the fact that it's never been officially released. Of all the songs they've chosen to end shows with over the years this might be my favorite, although i'm a sucker for hypnotized as well...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

now there's a poll - 'whats your favorate spiritualized finale'? - Got to be one to go for when the board gets quiet next. I think the recurring these blues carries much more feeling and emotion with it than on pure phase. Nothing about the PP version stirs me in any way. I never though about a similarity between so hot and recurring these blues - perhaps structually there is, but I wouldn't say there was obvious similarites. hmmm. Must go home and listen.

Favorate finale - probably Smiles, with 200 bars as an encore. And best rocker? Good Times single version - like a shot of pure adrenaline.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Yeah agree with that Baz. The Pure Phase versions a real beast though isnt it! Love the repeated vocals and howling horns. I a word Violent.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I've heard 2 demos from the recurring days and enjoy it for the extra verses and such but, the pure phase version IS a rocker. Dig 'em both, can't vote on this one.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

baz (mark II) wrote:Love both.
The Spacemen era pass is a tender little gem, so never let it be knocked.
thats always been one of my favourite tunes he does, then i got that bootleg and really was knocked out by the mellow pulsing vibe.

such a great song that seemed to be missing from almost every live boot that i have, the only version i have sounds like they were playing in a can.

m
e
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Just shows how the song can sound absolutely beautiful all stripped down as well as totally blissed out with stereo effects and flangers.
The live version does indeed get hairy and it was a great way to end out a show.

I think it's all about what mood or mindset you're in at the time.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

good dope/good fun wrote:Just shows how the song can sound absolutely beautiful all stripped down as well as totally blissed out with stereo effects and flangers.
The live version does indeed get hairy and it was a great way to end out a show.

what recording would that be???

anychance it can be posted, would really love to hear it.

m
e
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

This is great, bit like Shonn says though, out of a can but it's still worth a listen. The question a member of the audience asks at the start is funny.

These Blues ~ Live 1995

The rest of the show ain't bad either, especially the early version of Come Together.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

a beautiful noise wrote:
good dope/good fun wrote:Just shows how the song can sound absolutely beautiful all stripped down as well as totally blissed out with stereo effects and flangers.

what recording would that be???

anychance it can be posted, would really love to hear it.

m
e
Pretty much all of my '95 recordings close with These Blues.
Sorry.
I'm totally inept on how to upload music.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Drat! The Jig, any chance you can repost the 1995 live version?

Can anyone post the Recurrng demo version?- always wanted to hear it but never been able to find it.

Cheers. See what you miss if you don't visit this board religiously...
Eat A Peach
New user

Post by Eat A Peach »

radioshack wrote:Can anyone post the Recurrng demo version?- always wanted to hear it but never been able to find it.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... BC2A4FE5CC
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Eat A Peach wrote:
radioshack wrote:Can anyone post the Recurrng demo version?- always wanted to hear it but never been able to find it.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... BC2A4FE5CC

Thanks Eat A Peach!

Wow, amazing! Now I understand the dilemma-I can't choose!