what song's this from?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

what song's this from?

Post by bunnyben »

you don't want to lie not to the young
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

"I'd like to pretend that my father was wrong,
But you don't want to lie, not to the young..."

'The Night Comes On' by Leonard Cohen.

What do I win?
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

From Various Positions, a not-so-good album (featuring the original version of "Hallelujah") from 1985. I've always thought that "The Night Comes On" was one of the highlights - it is, at least lyrically - but the music is lifted more or less from "The Sisters of Mercy".
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

I'm a huge fan of his, although he never bettered his first album, in my opinion.

I've been meaning to start a Pearls Before Swine thread for ages now...

What do you make of Tom Rapp's cover of Suzanne?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

My father-in-law works with Tom Rapp. They're both in the legal field. Maybe I'll meet him when I go down to Florida to visit the in-laws. Weird.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i'd say various posistions was his masterpiece followed closely by songs of love and hate and songs of leonard cohen
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

bunnyben wrote:i'd say various posistions was his masterpiece
:? Was that just a random 'name the lyric' question then?

Perhaps we should set up a Spiritualized forum pub quiz...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

duppyconquerer wrote:
bunnyben wrote:i'd say various posistions was his masterpiece
:? Was that just a random 'name the lyric' question then?

Perhaps we should set up a Spiritualized forum pub quiz...
no. it came into my head and i couldn't remeber what it was from so i posted on here and just after i pressed post i remebered what it was from. i was going to delete the message but you fine people had replied so i left it up
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

A pub quiz still sounds like fun...not really sure how it would work though :?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:i'd say various posistions was his masterpiece followed closely by songs of love and hate and songs of leonard cohen
Really? I've just started getting into Cohen properly and i'm turned off to everything from various positions onwards due to the way too shiny production. Am i being too judgemental?

My current favourite is songs of love & hate, closely followed by new skin for the old ceremony.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

My current favourite is songs of love & hate, closely followed by new skin for the old ceremony.
yeh, i'm with you on that one at the moment. i think being more academic about it would drive me towards the first one (just because of the apple core and the fareground instrumentation and the only drowning men could see him and all that ...), but those two are pretty great lps.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:
bunnyben wrote:i'd say various posistions was his masterpiece followed closely by songs of love and hate and songs of leonard cohen
Really? I've just started getting into Cohen properly and i'm turned off to everything from various positions onwards due to the way too shiny production. Am i being too judgemental?

for me with cohen it's all about the lyrics. if he has something to say then he can make a good song. various posistions is a bit 'clean' but i thnk that that adds to its beauty.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote: for me with cohen it's all about the lyrics. if he has something to say then he can make a good song. various posistions is a bit 'clean' but i thnk that that adds to its beauty.
I agree- he's one of those 'lyrical' artists whose music is there just to frame the words really, but that musical framework can really ruin or lift a good song. Hallelujah, i think most of us would agree, is a ridiculously fine song but its the various cover versions that seem to have made it shine.

Interestingly, another cohen album (songs from a room) is ruined for me by the production being too far the other way- there its too muffled! i'm so hard to please!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:
bunnyben wrote: for me with cohen it's all about the lyrics. if he has something to say then he can make a good song. various posistions is a bit 'clean' but i thnk that that adds to its beauty.
I agree- he's one of those 'lyrical' artists whose music is there just to frame the words really, but that musical framework can really ruin or lift a good song. Hallelujah, i think most of us would agree, is a ridiculously fine song but its the various cover versions that seem to have made it shine.

Interestingly, another cohen album (songs from a room) is ruined for me by the production being too far the other way- there its too muffled! i'm so hard to please!
with songs from a room i was a bit put of 'musically' by the way that most the tunes have been used before by him either on this album or on 'songs of...'. yet saying that some mighty fine lyrics!
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ahh that era of cohen os brillinat, yeah that music sounds similiar, he's just playing a classical guitar.

you didn't listen to dylan for his guitar work.

but you defo have to be in "a" mood to listen to cohen, what mood that is i don't know but i do know a few thousand moods that don't work for cohen.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

a beautiful noise wrote:ahh that era of cohen os brillinat, yeah that music sounds similiar, he's just playing a classical guitar.

but you defo have to be in "a" mood to listen to cohen, what mood that is i don't know but i do know a few thousand moods that don't work for cohen.
Moody bastard !
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

a beautiful noise wrote:ahh that era of cohen os brillinat, yeah that music sounds similiar, he's just playing a classical guitar.

any mood works with cohen for me! his genius is in the way he can make you laugh and cry in the same breath, oh and that he's one of the greatest writers ever, not just lyrical poetry. anyone read his two novels, the favorite game and beautiful loosers?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote: with songs from a room i was a bit put of 'musically' by the way that most the tunes have been used before by him either on this album or on 'songs of...'. yet saying that some mighty fine lyrics!
'a bunch of lonesome heroes' is ridiculously similar to 'so long marriane' if i remember correctly? what other re-usings are there?