Gimme Shelter

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nickh
Known user

Gimme Shelter

Post by nickh »

Just noticed Stones in the Park is out again on DVD, Rock 'n' Roll Circus is out, Sympathy for the Devil is out, anyone got a heads up as to the possible UK release of Gimme Shelter?
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

it's all about cocksucker blues.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Isn't it? (Did you see it at Tate Modern the other year?)

Gimme Shelter's good - but it had damn well better have plenty o'bonus footage - more of the Altamont Support acts please. The Burrito's spot is woeful.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
ohh
Known user

Post by ohh »

Sympathy For The Devil is a load of crap.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

sympathy for the devil (one plus one! i'll punch anyone who says otherwise) is really good ... i even like the godard stuff, elridge cleaver and confused woodland interviews.
Isn't it? (Did you see it at Tate Modern the other year?)
haha!, yes i did, just before christmas i think. and it was thoroughly worth it; i so wish i owned a copy, it's the best recorded stones live footage i've ever seen (is it cocksucker blues where they manage to turn stevie wonder doing superstition into the stones doing satisfaction, or something?). maybe the best moment of cocksucker blues in terms of summing up what the film's like, is that interview with the ticketless fan outside, who had her child taken off her for doing too much acid. "i don't know what the problem was, i mean he was born on acid ...".

it's my favourite stones song, too ...
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ha! i can't beleive some of you have actually seen this. so what's the story with it's release, even bootleg. it has to be floating around the internet somewhere. i'm sure some of our more savvy websurfers should be able to find it. (yes yes that's a challenge!)

ohh and sympathy for the devil is ace. mick all cocked up pleading with the audience to "be cool man!" i just love it.

c*cksucker.
ohh
Known user

Post by ohh »

anorthernsoul wrote:sympathy for the devil (one plus one! i'll punch anyone who says otherwise) is really good ... i even like the godard stuff, elridge cleaver and confused woodland interviews.
I don't think I've ever cared enough about a film title to punch anyone but whatever. I didn't enjoy the film at all. The poorly acted and extremely contrived revolutionary parts were so boring. I mean, sub-machine guns in London? Reading out loud to no one? That death scene was silly as well.
The spurious point that was being made by cuting that half-finished story line with a half-edited Stones rehersal scene wasn't worth the time it took to watch it.
Basically the film was endless sloganeering mixed with endless retakes of one song. It was interesting to see the evolution of a song I like and the look of the film was quite good but those two things alone weren't enough for me.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

a beautiful noise wrote:ha! i can't beleive some of you have actually seen this. so what's the story with it's release, even bootleg. it has to be floating around the internet somewhere. i'm sure some of our more savvy websurfers should be able to find it. (yes yes that's a challenge!)

ohh and sympathy for the devil is ace. mick all cocked up pleading with the audience to "be cool man!" i just love it.

c*cksucker.
You seem confused - 'Gimme Shelter' film has Mick pleading with the audience during Sympathy... 'One Plus One' (aka 'Sympathy for the Devil') is another film, directed by Jean Luc Godard. It's 'controversial' because the footage of the Stones writing and recording the song Sympathy for the Devil is intercut with so called other stuff, which people allege to be 'boring'.

Cocksucker Blues, which anorthernsoul and myself watched two Christmases ago at The Tate Modern art gallery in London, was never released. Its showing was part of an exhibition of photographs by the film's director. Apparrently it is shown a couple of times a year somewhere in the world, under strict controls... apparently we watched the Stones' personal print, because the Director's one is knackered.

Theere's loads of bits on Youtube... here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjpMTCa7Bbk for instance.

Here's where we talked about it before = http://www.spiritualized.com/message2/v ... es&start=0
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

thanks for that willthisdo, i might have a little nose around on youtube now. as far as i know it's not shown as often as a couple of times a year; i think the last showing was the first in a decade. robert frank had to hide his print under the floorboards to stop it being confiscated. he's mental. jim jarmusch tells a story about going round frank's house to find him shooting up stacks of his prints. mmmmmm.

i think there are bootlegs, probably circulated on the internet and definitely on soulseek, but i don't know what sort of quality they are. one of the things i remember about seeing the film is that the sound, even from such a good source, was pretty unclear at times. so a bootleg might be a little unintelligible.

i wish i'd seen more robert frank stuff at the exhibition. i get such exhibition guilt. like missing the screenings of tav falco's films at the barbican a year or two ago.

edited to add: i've just read that other thread. i did a lot of nodding when reading posts about how the stones were way better than the who on the rock and roll cicrcus (why no praise for the dirty mac group? they were incredible). also, this portion of the cocksucker blues:
the film started with a look at Mick and Keith at a French Villa (?), doing press for Exile…there were genuine laughs to be had (ripples all round the auditorium), at the sense of boredom and the dry humour which resulted from having to answer endless stupid questions..
made me laugh, i remember a scene with mick jaggery very vaguely trying to decide upon his favourite part of the record, asking what's on side three etc ...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

you can pick up bootleg dvds of CS Blues all over ebay. and they are cheap too. It seems like unedited footage really. but very entertaining. no idea if the Stones "authorized" version is any different. i have not seen that one.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

spzretent wrote: It seems like unedited footage really.
You said that before... actually, I (and I appreciate you said we may be talking about different 'product') think it's VERY edited, and in an incredibly modern fashion (especially given the fact we are talking 1972)... the way it conveys boredom (among other things) without being boring is just brilliant. But then, I've only seen it once.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

right right right, thanks i got my channels crossed.

and the jean luc film is the "making of.." showing them jamming and what not. and what not :wink:

sorry for any confusion.

hmmm, it would be good to even get a crap 4th generation copy of CSblues. just to actually see it.

there's an old guy in my office that just got the technology to burn discs, and for about a year now has been feeding me with these great dvds. that's how i got both of the stones dvd's, along with 'let it be" the newport fest, "the soung of the south" amongst others.

but even he hasn't got ahold of CSblues. it would be nice to give something back to the geezer.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

a beautiful noise wrote:'let it be"

One of the most depressingly unedifying spectacles ever (IMO). It was out on VHS... I guess Macca will have to become VERY hungry if we're ever to see that on DVD. Likewise Help (I'd love to see that - is it that much worse than Hard Days Night?), and Magical Mystery Tour - a lot of which I lately discovered was filmed not 5 miles from the very spot I am typing this...

Come on Sir Thumbsaloft! Let's see it!
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Has anyone seen 'Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones', a concert movie from 1972? Must be really good, the stones on their highlights
"Thank you"