Stereolab - Margerine Eclipse

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Juzba
Known user

Stereolab - Margerine Eclipse

Post by Juzba »

What do you people make of this album?

Personally I think it's one of their best, if not even the best...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Margarine Eclipse is a very good album, up there w/ Emperor Tomato Ketchup. I, also like Dots and Loops and SoundDust. Buying Stereolab albums can be iffy, in my opinion they are not consistent. For instance, I thought the Cobra and the Milky Phase or whatever it's called was rubbish !
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I haah can't ahahaha believe ... aha it's not ...ppppssssfffffwahahaha better....haHAHAHAAAAHAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA oh...

(seriously) I think it's good too. Agree that they can be iffy, in fact go as far as to say that until now they were in the territory of diminishing returns...the zenith for me was Transient Random Noise Bursts with Announcements, but I always coveted a friends copy of The Groop Played Space Age Bachelor Pad Music (the one before that), which I realise probably sounded all the better for not being MY record if you know what I mean...

Or Peng and the old singles with the stencil spray covers (if that doesn't make me sound too much like the old "I saw them before you were even born" fucker I so obviously am...). :|
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Cobra Phases is the only one i've sold off... loved the rest of them.
I, too, dig the early ones, but Dots & Loops is very satisfying as well.

Saw them a couple times live too, they were excellent. So sad that Mary died so young... already over a year ago! I'll treasure my autographed Miss Modular 7". :cry:

dkg
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Thanks for a useful post. I stopped buying Stereolab stuff about two albums ago, because it didn't feel like I was getting anything particularly new. Like, if you've got six Stereolab albums, you don't really need another one.
But I'll give this a go, after reading these recommendations.
AllyD
New user

Post by AllyD »

Will check it out then. I heard bad reviews. Also, Sound-Dust was such a (dark) masterpiece that I didn't think they could better it - In particular, the tracks Baby Lulu and Gus the Mynah Bird...You just can't work out how they were constructed! The former has two separate drum-patterns in either speaker which weave around each other. Truly inspired stuff!

Cheers again for the Margerine recommendation!
nicolai
Known user

Post by nicolai »

it's allright.

of the "new" stereolab, or contemporary, or whatever, i like sound-dust best. i never understood the buzz about emperor tomato ketchup really. it's an allright album, but if i had to choose two sterolab albums only, i'd go for mars audiac quintet(1994) (pop masterpiece) and sound-dust(2001) (another pop masterpiece). they reflect the best stereolab music both before and after "dots & loops". IMHO.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Stereolab - Margerine Eclipse

Post by spzretent »

Juzba wrote:What do you people make of this album?
Well from a hardened Stereolab cynic I would have to say this sucks far less than other recent Stereolab releases. :?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I agree w/ Sprzent, but this is a nice suprise considering that they lost Mary.

Could never figure out w/ Stereolab, they are so spotty in their albums showing signs of being brilliant with some shoddy songs thrown in ! It's almost like their is a good/decent album after each bad one - not consistent at all ...