Mogwai - come on die young is brilliant?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

yes
83%
yes
17%

Total votes: 6

nukisarocknrollstar
Known user

Post by nukisarocknrollstar »

anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

it is a good record. year 2000 non compliant thingy is brilliant. it sounds like a toyshop. i went to see mogwai a week or two ago, and they were in parts good and in parts bad. i only really go to mogwai in search of permanent ear damage. helicon one was brilliant. that is all.
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

Did anyone go to the Royal Albert Hall gig (and how was it)?

Come On Die Young is good, but I think Rock Action is their peak.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

young team was the peak in my opinion, that with the companion remix lp...
CODY had a special place in my music collection too for a while, but god knows i couldn't ever listen to it now...

why do bands only get popular once they start releasing weaker, self-parodying material!? case in point - 'gwai, primals, manics, rev etc.

*sigh*
nukisarocknrollstar
Known user

moop wrote:young team was the peak in my opinion, that with the companion remix lp...
CODY had a special place in my music collection too for a while, but god knows i couldn't ever listen to it now...

why do bands only get popular once they start releasing weaker, self-parodying material!? case in point - 'gwai, primals, manics, rev etc.

*sigh*
who the fuck is gwai?
gimperella
Known user

Post by gimperella »

nukisarocknrollstar wrote:who the fuck is gwai?
its what mogwai called themselves after little mo had to leave the band cos she got banged up for clobbering trev with an iron.

i bet.
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

moop wrote:companion remix lp...
Kicking a Dead Pig? Excellent. Kevin Shields' mix of Mogwai Fear Satan is epic. It was a remix album of more than just the stuff off one lp though (unless you mean something else I haven't heard about).
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

'gwai' was a little nod to the arab strap *'Gwai on 45* remix on said kicking a dead pig remix lp..

all the tracks are from young team aren't they? can't be arsed to check but that's how i remember it (though i didn't mean by 'companion' that it was released at the same time or anything like that, i just think of them alongside one another)

and there are a couple of mogwai fear satan remixes, one by mogwai one by 'surgeon', is the latter kev shields then? never knew that!

maybe one day gwai will reunite with little mo for live-aid and play my father my king... we can but hope.
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

I've seen them four times and they've got worse every time.
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

moop wrote:all the tracks are from young team aren't they? can't be arsed to check but that's how i remember it (though i didn't mean by 'companion' that it was released at the same time or anything like that, i just think of them alongside one another)

and there are a couple of mogwai fear satan remixes, one by mogwai one by 'surgeon', is the latter kev shields then? never knew that!
Some of the tracks are from the first few eps I think - could be wrong though... I absolutely love the surgeon remix, it's amazing - drone city! but no, the Shields one is called the 'My Bloody Valentine' remix, but it's on an extra disc in the cd, so perhaps you have a different edition?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I liked the Iggy Pop sample at the start...forgotten the rest of the album to be honest. Cover was good!

The first one might have been better. 'Mr Beast' was good though...

The only time I saw them live, pre 2000, they were loud as hell.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You guys are crazy. Rock Action, Happy Songs and Mr. Beast are all stellar albums. I like each one of them better than CODY. I saw them earlier on this year and they fucking killed me! I'm not sure why on earth anyone would say they've become a parody of themselves. Ridiculous.
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

Yeah, I must admit I've liked everything they've done. They're a British band to be proud of, in my opinion.

My Father My King -Go on Albini!
Edukator
Known user

Post by Edukator »

My personal favourite off Come On Die Young is Ex-Cowboy :wink:
Come on now people, come on and slide with me
nukisarocknrollstar
Known user

'gwai'

i get it. i thought it was porbably obvious but not THAT obvious. I was thinking gwai was an acronym.

I am loving Helps Both Ways at the moment.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I liked the Iggy Pop sample at the start...
Yeah Im down with that one too! Loved the way he totally puts the guy in his place. Ex Cowboys class too. They had it on an NME free live album (the one with Rocket USA). Really good.
Edukator
Known user

Post by Edukator »

I've got the live versions of 'Ex-Cowboy' and 'Rocket USA' on my mobile! along with Asian Dub Foundation on top form doing 'Assassin'.

"We haven't been allowed up here before, they've only let us play downstairs. Probably because they thought we were part of the Asian Underground!!"
Come on now people, come on and slide with me
eeee22
Known user

Post by eeee22 »

All I have to say is that I will always remember the time I got high in my friends car and we went driving in a snowstorm late at night. Noone else on the road so we just sat there with the brights on, watching the snow fall, and blasting Cody. A very magical experience.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.