Vote for Spiritualized!!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

don_gato
New user

Vote for Spiritualized!!

Post by don_gato »

Songs that saved your live.

Spiritualized's "Stop your crying" is nominated.

Good day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/6sense/song ... vote.shtml
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Vote for Spiritualized!!

Post by spzretent »

don_gato wrote:Songs that saved your live.

Spiritualized's "Stop your crying" is nominated.

Good day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/6sense/song ... vote.shtml
Cheapster. The limted one. Consoldated all my debt.
Kizzy Walker
Known user

Post by Kizzy Walker »

Done, though they picked a belter for Portishead.

And wtf Polyphonic Spree - Light and Day? :roll:
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

But where, I ask, is "One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater"?

No matter. Back in the day I did most of my reviews based on the album jacket. "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" gets a five, at least nostalgically, for being the first dirty picture I ever came across. No pun intended.

Sorry. Am in a silly mood.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Also

Light and Day = Puff the Magic Dragon

(only less interesting)

If you don't believe me, listen to them side-by-side.

Regarding the Polyphonic Spree, has no-one stopped to work out that this was the same guy in Tripping Daisy?
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

yeah..the same guy with his wife in the band.
buggin.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

I won't hear a word against the polyphonic spree. Fucking great band! I saw them last year and came away thinking it was up there with the best gigs I've ever seen. Now I think it WAS actually the best gig I've seen. The other's that I was comparing it to (spiritualized, primal scream, mogwai) I attended whilst I was completely off my face on something or other and I was completely straight at the spree gig apart from a few beers so that means I was less easily pleased.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I've got to say that I think the Polyphonic Spree is quite possibly the lamest fucking thing I've ever seen. To me, it represents in music what SSRIs like Prozac and Paxil have done to the population at large. At a more basic level, it sounds a little like Spiritualized, without all that annoying soul and talent...
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

Horrorflick wrote:I've got to say that I think the Polyphonic Spree is quite possibly the lamest fucking thing I've ever seen. To me, it represents in music what SSRIs like Prozac and Paxil have done to the population at large.
And what's that then? Cheered them up a bit?
Horrorflick wrote: At a more basic level, it sounds a little like Spiritualized, without all that annoying soul and talent...
Continuing the spiritualized comparison the way I see it is this - Jason Pierce went out on 1st leg of the LICD tour with 15(?) musicians and made the glasgow barrowlands (the best venue I've ever entered) sound fucking empty and soulless which is a feat in itself. Tim Delaughter goes out on tour 25 musicians and makes the Edinburgh Corn Exchange (one of the most empty, soulless venues I've entered) come to life. Another point is that I nearly never went to that gig cos I'd got a bit bored with the album but though "fuck it! I've already bought the ticket and it's only just along the road." It totally turned me back on to them. I look forward to every spiritualized gig and the last few I've come away thinking "That started well and ended well but the middle sure dragged on a bit!"

Just as a point of interest have you seen them live?
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

H :!: E :!: L :!: L N O :!: :!: :!: I never will either. Usually, hearing something that makes rolling around in broken glass and vinegar seem like a nice alternative is enough, I don't have to be 15 feet away from it and watching...