Bitching about prices

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

Bitching about prices

Post by jadams501 »

As a fan living in the U.S., I'm completely dismayed by the cost of pretty much everything in the store. Basically 40 dollars for a t-shirt and $40 for Silent Sound? It's simply an invitation to piracy. We aren't talking about rare vinyl here. T-shirts shouldn't be more than $25 American and I'm sure the Spaceman camp would still make a heap of cash. As for Silent Sound, I like buying Spaceman material and even bought a copy of Guitar Loops when i saw it on sale in a store for a reasonable-ish $23, but I am wholeheartedly looking forward to just downloading the illegal MP3 unless it's offered for anything like a reasonable price. What a disgrace and what contempt for us as fans this shows.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

When I saw the $48 (AUD) come up, I must admit I thought something similar. So now I'm definitely in two minds over whether to shell out for Silent Sound or not. Maybe I could get a decent trade-in on a hardly played copy of Guitar Loops...?
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

I sympathise with you about the cost, but to be fair to Spaceman and any other vaguely independent artist for that matter there's not a lot you can do to cut the cost if you're doing a limited pressing and put the CD in nice packagaing and artwork. It's the large record companies that can afford to sell records cheaply as they can manufacture in bulk and keep the costs down. Sorry, you probably know all this anyway and I appreciate that the costs are even higher if you're not in the UK, but Spaceman isn't fleecing people, y'know...
sparta72
Known user

Post by sparta72 »

Plus it will cost double that price on ebay in a couple of years time.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Dollar is 1.85ish at the moment and s&h to US is £2.00 giving £19.50 for the CD.

Doesn't seem too bad to me really for a ltd, signed, one-off really.
They Transmit
Known user

Re: Bitching about prices

Post by They Transmit »

jadams501 wrote:but I am wholeheartedly looking forward to just downloading the illegal MP3 unless it's offered for anything like a reasonable price. What a disgrace and what contempt for us as fans this shows.
Mate do some research before you start shouting your mouth off. Look into the cost of getting limited pressing runs/art work completed, setting up the original show costings/mastering etc etc.
A the end of the day you will be the one complaining about " Why does nobody put out any decent records any more bla blah, where have all the great underground bands gone?" Answer- because foolish types such as yourself will down load albums for "free" so it will get to the point where there is no way small artists can afford to put anything out and all you will be able to listen to is mass produced corporate shite.
No one is making you buy anything...
I'am sick of this forum, to quote a recent email by a forum old boy "This forum is now infested with di** Heads"
Oh how true...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ash wrote:When I saw the $48 (AUD) come up, I must admit I thought something similar. So now I'm definitely in two minds over whether to shell out for Silent Sound or not. Maybe I could get a decent trade-in on a hardly played copy of Guitar Loops...?
LOL...good luck with that one! Are there any muchly played copies of guitar loops out there?
gimperella
Known user

Post by gimperella »

mojo filters wrote:LOL...good luck with that one! Are there any muchly played copies of guitar loops out there?
I can only give you my opinion, but yeah, mine is pretty well played. To the extent that i'm (still) saving the £50 to purchase the rest of the series in the vain hope that they are similar.

I don't get it y'know...people talk about their love for the free jazz style of the spiritualized live shows & the experimentation involved; but to me, GL sounds exactly the same as that - granted, different instruments / apparatus is used and the resulting sound is a lot more raw (but then it was just one bloke on his own), but it still has the same essence - the same soul and the same style. I don't see how people can say they love one, but not the other.

And as for the bitching about the prices - i don't like paying even £10 for an album, let alone £17+, but i do it cos i hope i'll love the music, and i want to help support the artist in the hope he/she/they'll produce more; in the hope that the record company will find someone else equally as interesting, and put that out too. I pay money for something, particularly for things as detailed and intricate as Spiritualized or GL or SS because i want to hear it how the artist hears it, and not some dumbed down 128/162/320bpm, crackle, fuzz and interference filled crap i stole from the internet. Never bought anything cos i thought it was cool, or cos it might make me look a bit 'wild' in front of my contemporaries. I do it for the love. I don't understand how people can just happily steal something just because they 'must' have it and 'must' hear it and because 'everyone' else has heard it. I find it very sad. I find that image related and not music related.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Quality post, I am in agreement with you on all points.
nukisarocknrollstar
Known user

Post by nukisarocknrollstar »

I just ordered silent sound and the two vinyls. woo hoo! (sorry wallet)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well. i live in the US. i had one reserved through Silent Sound. I just bought mine and it came to just over $33 shipped.
To me, thats fine. A V23 designed limited(to 1000) CD, signed by the participants, is just fine.
I may never play Guitar Loops but at least it lets those involved know they can go ahead and spread their wings. Try new things. A lot of us are going to support you.
The best part was when paying via Paypal the person receiving the money was Iain Forsyth.
Money going right to the source. Beautiful.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

The best part was when paying via Paypal the person receiving the money was Iain Forsyth. Money going right to the source. Beautiful.
Yeah too right! As people have already (quite rightly) pointed out. That show must have cost alot of money to put on. the hire of the gallery, the cost of 23 musicians for the performance, the silent sound box they sat in was built from scratch, the pressing and mastering of the cd, the design and production of the sleeve. Without even taking into consideration the time and effort Jason put into writing a peice of music especially for the event, and the fact that Ian Forsyth and Jane Pollard will probably make no money out of this.

Oh and while i'm on a roll, why buy a cd only because it will be worth something on Ebay in two years? why not buy it to play and enjoy rather than as an investment? Rant over.

for now
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

my copy of gut loops came today, yay!!!

oh and the cover art is beautiful!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
assoc.
Known user

Post by assoc. »

i never really understand the point of threads like these.

with respect...if you think something is too expensive then don't buy.

nobody owes you anything...certainly not artists putting out limited edition artwork.

it seems quite simple to me really.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thing is I went into Sainsburys and wanted some peas. They were quite pricey so I thought rather than buy them there I'd steal them on the way home from the alottment where Ive seen a gardener grafting hard all day in the wind and rain. Then right a letter to sainsburys telling them that i had done this and that maybe that the price of peas should come down...

may be simplyfying it a tad but the same principles apply dont they?
assoc. wrote:
i never really understand the point of threads like these.

nobody owes you anything...certainly not artists putting out limited edition artwork.

it seems quite simple to me really

well said! end of
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

is wrote: If Jason Spaceman were to be offering petrol (that's gasoline) for sale in USA which he'd purchased retail in the UK, it would work out $6.83 per US Gallon, before post and packing.
Not to mention the fact that he'd never get it past customs in the first place. They frown on that sort of thing.

If anyone wants to try it out though, I recommend hiding the petrol (gasoline) in a bottle of shower gel. It just might work.

Very important tip: Make sure you don't forget about the petrol - it could have terrible consequences, especially if you have a tendency to smoke in the shower.
Also it would ruin the plan to sell petrol in America from the UK.

Maybe it would be a good idea to write I HAVE PETROL IN THE SHOWER BOTTLE on your toiletries bag.
Write it in German though, so the Customs officials can't read it.

And, while you're over there, try to introduce the Americans to the game of cricket.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

assoc. wrote:i never really understand the point of threads like these.

it seems quite simple to me really.
agreed. but that only covers half the point of the first post in this thread. the point of him just downloading was the other half.
the incessant bitching about the exchange rate is tiresome. it is what it is. its a bad time to buy things in the UK or Eurpoe for that matter if you are spending the yankee dollar.
like the man says, if its too expensive. dont buy.
but how are you gonna download a t shirt?
J SpaceDan
Known user

Post by J SpaceDan »

Erm, I think I've ordered me a copy of 'Silent Sound', but I've received no email confirmation or anything. Is that right?
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

I don't know that it's necessarily an exchange rate thing (although ours is even worse to the pound than the US dollar is...!) And I'm not denying that everyone involved is more than deserving of making a bit of money off its release, nor that it's a limited edition with lovely packaging, etc, etc...

But I guess it gets to the point where you have to question throwing $48 at a CD that you only have a very sketchy idea what it sounds like, no idea how long the actual music component goes for, etc, just because Jason has had a hand in it.

I can't ask the shopkeeper to put it on so as I can have a listen, there aren't any samples on the website to listen to, and (heaven forbid!) it's presumably not online for download through the aforementioned illegal channels so that I can hear it before I decide to buy it. (But nor should I expect any of the above to be the case.)

Sometimes I'm in the mood to throw caution to the wind and buy a cd without having heard it before, based purely on, say, the description on the sticker on the front, or because of some guest musician, or because of the amazing packaging (yes, I've done that once or twice...) or whatever. And yes, sometimes even when it's more than twice the price I'd normally pay for a cd. I think that in a year's time I'll probably regret not being in that mood at the moment...!
. . . heligoland . . .
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Ok, ok, seems I've somehow managed to talk myself into it...
. . . heligoland . . .
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

ash wrote:Ok, ok, seems I've somehow managed to talk myself into it...
this is hilarious.

Ash,
on a side note, i found a load of 80 Australian garage-y singles i've been listening to a lot.
Super K
Screaming Tribesmen
Moffs
Died Pretty
Singles still sound great today.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

spzretent wrote:on a side note, i found a load of 80 Australian garage-y singles i've been listening to a lot.
Super K
Screaming Tribesmen
Moffs
Died Pretty
Nice selection! Are you familiar with The Stems and The Sunnyboys? If you like those, they're two others you should definitely add to the list.
. . . heligoland . . .
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i used to have some Stems lp's. Steven Kilbeys brothers band right?
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Nah, don't think there were any Kilbeys involved - the Stems were the brainchild of Dom Mariani, whom I inevitably seem to bump into whenever he's over this side of the country. Really lovely fellow, and a great songwriter.

Incidentally, Dom's son and nephew (I think!) form 2/3 of the horribly named "The Flairz" - possibly the youngest band (all around 12 years of age) to have played at SXSW...
. . . heligoland . . .
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

spzretent wrote:Died Pretty
hey! i haven't heard that in awhile.
is that the "landsakes" song you're talking about?

judging by flamingrev's very detailed review,
silent sound sounds worth the exchange rate.
and just think of all the extra subliminal sounds
you're getting for your dollar!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

[quote="simonkeeping"]Thing is I went into Sainsburys and wanted some peas. They were quite pricey so I thought rather than buy them there I'd steal them on the way home from the alottment where Ive seen a gardener grafting hard all day in the wind and rain. Then right a letter to sainsburys telling them that i had done this and that maybe that the price of peas should come down...

may be simplyfying it a tad but the same principles apply dont they?

[quote]

you should have shopped around. peas are cheaper in iceland :)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

you should have shopped around. peas are cheaper in iceland
classic! And Pizza (food poisoning) for a pound. Yum yum.
gimperella
Known user

Post by gimperella »

bunnyben wrote:you should have shopped around. peas are cheaper in iceland :)
plane journey to Iceland and back would've been a killer though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

ro wrote:
spzretent wrote:Died Pretty
!
Nope. Out Of The Unknown 7".
I really like this band but they couldn't sell records in the US at all.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

simonkeeping wrote:
you should have shopped around. peas are cheaper in iceland
classic! And Pizza (food poisoning) for a pound. Yum yum.
i got 30 beefburgers for £2!! taste reminded me of school...
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

LOL 30!!! Now that is funny! Esp. the school bit. Was that in a good or bad way?
I got some own brand mini Kiev's (is that how it's spelt?) which tasted like sick in bread crumbs, but where ok once drunkeness took over and a sandwhich was built.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

ash wrote:Are you familiar with The Stems and The Sunnyboys? If you like those, they're two others you should definitely add to the list.
The Stems 'At First Sight' is a glorious album.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

spzretent,
do you know that "land sakes it's over..." song by them?
it's the only one i know.
carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

jadams501 wrote:What a disgrace and what contempt for us as fans this shows.
Simple. Don't be a 'fan'. Be a true blue believer instead. It means you don't have to buy crumby merch (or anything else) from the crumby Spz online store, means you get to dress in your own clothes instead of some crumby Screen Gems "band-tee" (mmm, NICE), and means you can generally just take the band's crumby overpriced fuckery and fuck it even harder back.

I'm not the biggest advocate of illegally downloading whole albums of officially available material...but Jason hasn't done anything scintillating for nearly 10 years, so I couldn't slam on anybody who doesn't want to risk high coin for something that might suck donkey dick.
carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

carpenters_fan wrote:Don't be a 'fan'.
**snickerz**
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

If you thnk Jason has done nothing of worth for 10 years what the hell are you doing round here?
carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

They Transmit wrote:If you thnk Jason has done nothing of worth for 10 years what the hell are you doing round here?
Sometimes I ask myself the same question, only for other reasons.

But, how about this:
Cos I don't need yours or anyone else's permission to do or think what the fuck I like on the internet? Or because my entire musical world doesn't revolve entirely around whatever y'allz magical little spacey space-hero belches out of his spacey little amps next? Noticed how the Spiritualized threads here are outnumbered 10-1 yet?
Open your eyes and ears a little. Azzhole.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

gonna stick my oar in here on the subject of aussie bands...

I love Died Pretty.
Every album has at least a couple of real knockouts and yes, the singles were great too. I shall be stocking up again with rarities from Red Eye Records in Sydney in the new year.

The Moffs had one of my favourite ever singles with "Another Day In The Sun", while The Stems I think did just the one [proper] album - At First Sight - which was also a corker.

Special mention to the Lime Spiders and Hoodoo Gurus too. The 80s were a pretty golden decade for Aus Rock.

(handily forgets INXS, Jason Donovan and Midnight Oil)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

wot? no pic!

Hoodoos are one of the great underrated bands ever.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

To get back to the subject, I think it's a general phenomenon nowadays that people somehow believe everything is too expensive. Here in Germany the most successful electronics store caught the zeitgeist with its amazingly successful slogan 'Geiz ist geil' = Stinginess is sexy/cool. If all you are concerned with is paying bottom dollar, then there's someone in India or China who would jump at the chance to do your job for a fraction of what you take home, and while the knock-on effect of cheap imports will make your welfare cheque go that little bit further, in the end your standard of living is going to take a massive hit. I guess in a market driven economy (Americans please take note, you preach this kind of thing, even though your trade balance with China is making your protectionist politicians twitchy) something is worth what people are prepared to pay for it, and if they can shift the lot for the asking price then good luck to them. A decent product well made should be worth the price that gives its manufacturer a decent living wage. The real villains are the capitalist pigs amongst us who will buy three CDs, keep one and try to recoup their entire outlay on ebay (or try and sell 2 Lowry gig tickets for 130 quid). I'm happy to pay the asking price for the silent sound CD, because I think it will enhance my life more than 10 big macs or 5 pints of beer (London prices). However, I am not prepared to pay 50 quid 'commission' to some chancer who obviously has no interest in the music at all, just the mighty dollar (I've got a front row ticket anyway). I spend a lot of money following Spiritualized and if what I spend on gig tickets, t-shirts and CDs allows Jason to carry on making music then that makes me very happy.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

They Transmit wrote:LOL 30!!! Now that is funny! Esp. the school bit. Was that in a good or bad way?
I got some own brand mini Kiev's (is that how it's spelt?) which tasted like sick in bread crumbs, but where ok once drunkeness took over and a sandwhich was built.
they tasted nicer than i expected yet there's the nagging thought that somewhere there's a rat running round with only two legs. my feelings for them were quite disturbing, ps i ended up throwing half of the box out, my mind was being too vivid.

semelina, (however you spell it) is another school dinners memory which time has enhanced or altered to make me want to try them again...
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

carpenters_fan wrote:
I'm not the biggest advocate of illegally downloading whole albums of officially available material...
I hope the eight 50 MB files Phil Spector session files you posted under the 'All I want for Xmas' thread don't fall under this category then. Oh, and I'd wash that T-shirt before I wore it if I were you...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Jasonsmith wrote:To get back to the subject, I think it's a general phenomenon nowadays that people somehow believe everything is too expensive. Here in Germany the most successful electronics store caught the zeitgeist with its amazingly successful slogan 'Geiz ist geil' = Stinginess is sexy/cool. If all you are concerned with is paying bottom dollar, then there's someone in India or China who would jump at the chance to do your job for a fraction of what you take home, and while the knock-on effect of cheap imports will make your welfare cheque go that little bit further, in the end your standard of living is going to take a massive hit. I guess in a market driven economy (Americans please take note, you preach this kind of thing, even though your trade balance with China is making your protectionist politicians twitchy) something is worth what people are prepared to pay for it, and if they can shift the lot for the asking price then good luck to them. A decent product well made should be worth the price that gives its manufacturer a decent living wage. The real villains are the capitalist pigs amongst us who will buy three CDs, keep one and try to recoup their entire outlay on ebay (or try and sell 2 Lowry gig tickets for 130 quid). I'm happy to pay the asking price for the silent sound CD, because I think it will enhance my life more than 10 big macs or 5 pints of beer (London prices). However, I am not prepared to pay 50 quid 'commission' to some chancer who obviously has no interest in the music at all, just the mighty dollar (I've got a front row ticket anyway). I spend a lot of money following Spiritualized and if what I spend on gig tickets, t-shirts and CDs allows Jason to carry on making music then that makes me very happy.
to quote dylan 'they say low wages are a reality if we want to compete abroad'. i for one do not endorse the whole money= evil stance of some people (not directed at jasonsmith before it gets taken the wrong way). i think that if people earn it then fair play to them. bill gates has earnt his money and once he's gone most of it is going to charity anyway. what pisses me off is liberals who sit around smoking in pubs, (for example), complaining about evil corperate giants and completely miss the hypocrasy and irony. there is a growing feeling in world culture of something for nothing. the lottery is a good example of this. it is branded as giving hope to the hopeless but really it's a scam. the reason why the prizes are so big, say 5 million each week, is because 40 million pay a pound each week netting on a gain of approx 27 mill after expenses and tax. as for ebay if people want to try to make money from selling there old clutter then that's good. i do sometimes and sometimes i take it to the charity shop, depends horoke i am, but as for the tickets i spent £90 on two tickets for ashcroft which pissed me off as it is, like you said, pure greed and love for the almighty dollar, (alight ollar? haha i get it!)
Superstar
Known user

Post by Superstar »

bunnyben wrote:semelina, (however you spell it) is another school dinners memory
Semolina or salmonella? My school had both. Hence I used to shun their menu in favour of playground favourites Dairylea, Hula Hoops and Milky Ways. However I grew up to be such a glowing picture of health is beyond me...
carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

Jasonsmith wrote:you posted under the 'All I want for Xmas' thread don't fall under this category then.
They fall under the bootleg/OOP category.
Jasonsmith wrote:Oh, and I'd wash that T-shirt before I wore it if I were you...
Nah, I'll torch it and post the charred remains thru your letterbox instead.
Re-Evolution
New user

Post by Re-Evolution »

carpenters_fan wrote:
They Transmit wrote:If you thnk Jason has done nothing of worth for 10 years what the hell are you doing round here?
Sometimes I ask myself the same question, only for other reasons.

But, how about this:
Cos I don't need yours or anyone else's permission to do or think what the fuck I like on the internet? Or because my entire musical world doesn't revolve entirely around whatever y'allz magical little spacey space-hero belches out of his spacey little amps next? Noticed how the Spiritualized threads here are outnumbered 10-1 yet?
Open your eyes and ears a little. Azzhole.
"How about this,
Cos i'm a serial troll with zero life beyond my stained keyboard and beach boy collection , i enjoy flaming other posters on the net cos I would never have the courage to it in real life , and my pseudo witty retorts spring from a deep well of self hatred - River Deep in fact."
Long time since i posted here , and its people like you that are the primary reason why.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

what the hell? when people aren't bitching about the mods they're bitching about each other and when they're not bitching about each other they're bitching about pointless crap.

you are all aware that 12 million children die each day in africa through causes such as starvation? people in N. Korea are being publicly executed for free speech...

oh, by the way, i love spiritualized and am really really looking forward to the new album. any apox dates for it?
carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

Somebody Please Notice ME.
I'm 57 years of age and collect The BeacH Boys.
I'm Baz - but thats not My Real Name.
Last edited by carpenters_fan on Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

:shock:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote::shock:
I'll second that try this site if you have to carry on like this :!:
botox
Known user

Post by botox »

Tell us really why you are here carp boy?
carpenters_fan wrote:to post some useless shit and contribute nothing

Ah right. What's your vocation in my life then? What do you strive to be?
carpenters_fan wrote:a hypocritical fucking waster
And your main interest?
carpenters_fan wrote:donkey-sex
I could go on. But then I'd be as dull as you are. You think I'm the only one who's smelt a rat here? What drives you is beyond me, and apparently several others here. Out and out nastiness isn't the most attractive quality in anyone, but you've convinced yourself it's ideal. Unfathomable.

Yeah, yeah, go on. Rip into me like you do to anyone who dares to not share your seething vision.

Yawn.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

mojo filters wrote:
What a great site that is Mojo. A real free-for-all expletive frenzy of insults and hatred. I feel a lot calmer after reading all that, it's quite cathartic.

(Superstar, I'd give it a miss if I were you...)
carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

BUTTOCKS wrote:Out and out nastiness isn't the most attractive quality in anyone, but you've convinced yourself it's ideal.
Hi. The edit trick was funny that one time, but if you're gonna do the anonymous message-stalker thing you should throw in some variety.
And there's nothing more DULL than dicks who only ever turn up to whine about 'how bad things are' and 'kids today'.
Just a quick scan of your 2 year post history reveals one sad fucker who ONLY ever surfaced in the first place to insult or pick fault with other posters, and barely a scrap of anything else besides. Scummy little hypocrite.

So what are ya?
botox wrote:one sad, vicious mother
Ooh, yeah baby. Say it harder.

A-hole, it's not hard to work out if you're really that fascinated. If someone serves, I volley. Hard. Don't like it? That's your problem.
Who gives a toss what you and a few other like-minds think? Is the allusion to numbers supposed to make me care? If you're the mouthpiece for some little union of haters, bring 'em out. Otherwise, who gives a shit? Let 'em yap among themselves.
That you're overstating my supposed negative influence kind of implies a personal grudge. Well, kiss my peachy white arse.

Dictionary.com sez: Carp:1. to find fault or complain querulously or unreasonably; be niggling in criticizing; cavil: to carp at minor errors.
So what's the name we give to people like you who offer nil but querulous narrow-sighted criticism?
botox wrote:carp boy
Yeah, right on. You wear it well.

Err, BIG FUCKING
YAWN
right back at ya, buddy.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Well when I started the thread I certainly didn't intend for all of this madness to take place...

Whoever called me a "D*ckhead" for complaining has every right to do so, though I think you jumped to incorrect conclusions. I have generously supported Spaceman and others once in the Spacemen camp whenever I have felt that I haven't been gauged. I bought each of the Spz albums, several of the singles, CW vols 1 and 2, various posters, a REASONABLY PRICED t-shirt, and even Guitar Loops --- the only exceptions are Fucked Up Inside and Friendly Fire, both of which I would be eager to pay for legitimately if the former was released on CD for less than $25 and if the latter was released legitimately at all. I've paid for legitimate copies of all of the Spacemen 3 I own, which is pretty much the entire catalogue except for Translucent Flashbacks and "How The Blues," which I couldn't afford and currently only have half of. I bought both Freelovebabies albums from Will and even bought the first Lupine Howl album (I've never heard the 2nd). Sadly, I have not yet been able to see Spz on tour but will jump at the chance, probably on multiple occasions, when he finally comes back to the U.S. Finally, I've often spread the Spaceman gospel to anyone who'll listen and have gone out of my way to mention Sp3 and Spz whenever possible in my capacity as music editor of my college newspaper.

In summary, I have been a consistent, loyal, and generous supporter of Spaceman et al. on a scale comparable to or greater than, I would wager, most fans on and off this board. Hell, I'm the last person I know who still consistently purchases music at all, let alone on CD and frequently through mail order.

That being said, I'm a college student without an incredible amount of expendable income, most of which is divided between music and beer. I think that $25 U.S. + S&H is the maximum that should be charged for a mass-produced T-shirt, as it still allows for a substantial profit margin of at least $8 a shirt at that price. Well-packaged limited-edition only releases are all well and good as well, but no EP should cost more than $30 U.S. + S&H, which also in truth allows for a substantial profit margin. I have no objection to giving money to J. Spaceman and whoever else, but I also think I'm entitled to more respect as a loyal fan than being asked to shell out prices that are unreasonable no matter what the exchange rate.

I look forward to being able to purchase Silent Sound at anything approaching a fair price, but until that day I will be looking for an MP3 to tide me over. And I'll just go without another T-shirt (less advertising for Spz) until they are sold for a reasonable price as well.

P.S. There's a saying about academia that fights get vicious because the stakes are so small. Think how much lower the stakes are at *a fan message board*, for Christ's sake... how about some civility? The golden rule is no less applicable online than it is in real life.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Starfish wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
What a great site that is Mojo. A real free-for-all expletive frenzy of insults and hatred. I feel a lot calmer after reading all that, it's quite cathartic.

(Superstar, I'd give it a miss if I were you...)
Why thankyou Mr Star, it is rather fun, but likewise suited to school playground antics as opposed to the serious and informed discussion I usually enjoy on here. If Carptenters' fan can keep his next meal down maybe he should head in that direction :?:

PS no disrepect to other fans of the Carpenters' work...one of my guilty pleasures, I don't mind divulging, especially that seminal key change in 'We've Only Just Begun' :wink:
Superstar
Known user

Post by Superstar »

Starfish wrote:Superstar, I'd give it a miss if I were you...
Thanks for the tip-off dearie, will avoid it like the plague. Indeed, I think the time is nigh for me to vanish from this forum for a spell - at least until the insults centred around "donkey-sex" and "w**king" come to an end...
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Tell me about it - I can't stand working either!
. . . heligoland . . .
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Superstar wrote: Thanks for the tip-off dearie, will avoid it like the plague. Indeed, I think the time is nigh for me to vanish from this forum for a spell - ...
Its a shame that you feel obliged to leave here for a bit Superstar, as your posts are always more than welcome.

[Particularly in contrast to some of the nonsense that has been flying around here recently.]
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

gotta agree with Superstar, this thread/forum has become some sad 16 year olds tired rant.
botox
Known user

Post by botox »

carpenters_fan wrote: Hi. The edit trick was funny that one time, but if you're gonna do the anonymous message-stalker thing you should throw in some variety.
I tend to just read stuff here, but on rare occasions I'll write something.

My post merely illustrated the tedious aspect of your consistently aggressive nature, no matter what name you post under. I used the same silly misquoting because you, carpenters fan or Bza mk 2 or whatever you call yourself, were spotted pretty easily. And you think you're clever. Which you are obviously not because it didn't take a lot to realise who you are. Right - I'll retreat again. It's pointless here these days.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

This thread especially has become quite silly i've noticed (i've only been on a couple of weeks so i dunno about the entire forum) .... then again, so have all the ones with carpenters fan's open, accepting and kind outlook... :wink:
carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

botox wrote:were spotted pretty easily. And you think you're clever. Which you are obviously not because it didn't take a lot to realise who you are.
WAKE UP AND SMELL THE CAPPUCHINO, GOOFUS: I've not been trying to conceal my identity. If I was, making an obvious display of all my usual post traits would have been a pretty dumb way of going about it. No?
Get with the program, you bumhole. Everyone else picked up on the not too subtle HINTS weeks ago, and YOU think you're Auguste Dupin because you fiiiiiiiiiiinally cracked the case.
Well done, clever you. Tool.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I really find your presence here a curious and apparently unsolvable puzzle. You seem to just hate everyone. What enjoyment you get from this forum is beyond me.
carpenters_fan
Known user

Post by carpenters_fan »

runcible wrote:What enjoyment you get from this forum is beyond me.
It tickles me.

Dude, I don't hate everyone. Far from it. If you think I'm that mean and lowdown, you need to look around. There're tons worse on forums all over the 'net. All I am is a well-bred young man with a short fuse and a lot of sound/passion/fury in me. That's it.